Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The reason is similar to the reason that divorce was problematic. The two become one flesh.

Gen 2:23 Then the man said, "This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man."
Gen 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Co 6:15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never!
1Co 6:16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, "The two will become one flesh."
1Co 6:17 But he who is joined to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.
1Co 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,
1Co 6:20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

There is meant to be a bond with your spouse that you do not have with everyone else. This one flesh experience should not be extended to everyone who turns you on. Don't become one flesh with a prostitute but with your spouse.

There is a bond created when your spouse is the one who gives you pleasure, the one who makes procreation possible, the one who meets your needs, etc. Your spouse is not just the last in a long line of folks who did this. This is of God and He doesn't want you to have that with others.

Moreover, how many marriages have been tainted by "comparisons" so to speak. If you only have sex with your spouse, you don't compare to anything but her, and that is largely a good thing.

In addition, sex is an act which can lead to children. Children are better cared for in the family that God intended. Even preventative means are not 100 percent effective in preventing children by this act.

God designed your spouse to meet your natural needs for sex.

Co 7:2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.
1Co 7:3 The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband.
1Co 7:4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
1Co 7:5 Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

He also enables some to do without sex, according to the Scriptures. If you are called to that, fine. But otherwise taking a spouse is the prescribed solution to your sexual drive, to being ready to raise any children from the sexual act, and to have a bond with your spouse, the one flesh relationship.

Paul advises the unmarried to marry if they burn with passion:

Co 7:8 To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am.
1Co 7:9 But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

It is God's design that your spouse meet those needs. And statistically married people have sex more often than single people, so perhaps God knew what he was doing.

More sex, and after the sex someone who cares about you and stands by you and helps you through difficult times, and shares life together. Much better than serial one night stands and occasional visits to the prostitute.

Thank you - I appreciate your contribution to answering my concern.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God intends your wife to be the source of intoxicating love throughout life. There is a bond there that should not be shared with strangers. This text is in the context of extra-marital affairs. However, the underlying principles still hold true.

Pro 5:15 Drink water from your own cistern, flowing water from your own well.
Pro 5:16 Should your springs be scattered abroad, streams of water in the streets?
Pro 5:17 Let them be for yourself alone, and not for strangers with you.
Pro 5:18 Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth,
Pro 5:19 a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.

None of this says that pre-marital sex puts the soul at risk of damnation.

None of this says that pre-marital sex is wrong. You're extrapolating from scripture.

A person can rejoice in the wife of his youth ... that he had pre-marital sex with, and whose breasts he enjoyed then as now.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But nobody is talking about one night stands. Some people are in a long lived relationship where they have sex, but chose not to marry. That's not a one night stand. Those people are standing by each other.

Nobody? The op didn't specify long lasting co-habitation.

Since there is no prescribed marriage ritual in the Bible per se they would then be experiencing the same thing as marriage would they not? But then the commands not to put it assunder would also still apply.

I don't think God gets worked up over who has a marriage license, but who is joined together in God's sight. Now since the government gets worked up over it, and there is a cultural expectation to be married in service, that is fine. But even the law in many cases recognizes common law marriage.

God intended there to be a one flesh experience. How would you address that aspect?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
That doesn't say that the soul of those having sex before marriage are at risk of damnation. It just doesn't.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is circular reasoning. The only reason her soul is at risk of damnation prior to marriage is because you assume it is a sin prior to marriage. You can't prove it is a sin by assuming it is a sin.

I'm after some clues about why it is sin.

Your question is flawed because it assumes that God doesn't exist. If He exists not then there is no sin. We know what sin is because He revealed that knowledge to us.

Why did He make it a sin? Well considering that the relationship between God and His people is mirrored in the Sacrament of Matrimony, that probably has a lot to do with it.

Just look at the seven deadly sins. All of them except pride are animalistic. We are called to be like Him, and not be like the animals of the field that are ruled by their sensual needs.

We as Catholics are currently going through lent. This season calls us to mortifications, to learn to control our appetites, and become more like our Lord.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nobody? The op didn't specify long lasting co-habitation.

Since there is no prescribed marriage ritual in the Bible per se they would then be experiencing the same thing as marriage would they not? But then the commands not to put it assunder would also still apply.

I don't think God gets worked up over who has a marriage license, but who is joined together in God's sight.

God intended there to be a one flesh experience. How would you address that aspect?

I agree mostly. You can be married in the eyes of God without s certificate from the government. Ditto for divorce.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None of this says that pre-marital sex puts the soul at risk of damnation.

None of this says that pre-marital sex is wrong. You're extrapolating from scripture.

Why does he say the single person should marry instead of burn? Why not say go have sex?

Why does he say not to unite with a prostitute?

A person can rejoice in the wife of his youth ... that he had pre-marital sex with, and whose breasts he enjoyed then as now.

The person became one flesh with his wife from the beginning through intercourse. But you can also do that with a prostitute and he said do not do so.

Read my most recent response and you will find that I am not tied to a government ceremony to initiate marriage.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some couples cohabit, marry and live together until one/both dies. That is a one flesh experience.

Which is what I just got done saying, but apparently you didn't pick up on it.

And whether they ever married or not, they are one flesh, and God says don't let man put assunder. But going from woman to woman would still be out of God's plan.

And while that may not be your burden, it is still a possibility within the confines of the OP, so I addressed it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WithLoveFromAlyssa

Love makes a choice, it has a voice...
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere around Nashville <3
✟9,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That doesn't say that the soul of those having sex before marriage are at risk of damnation. It just doesn't.

If you're doing something GOOD Am i going to say "God is Going to judge you for that"

No, I'd only say it when you're doing something that is Not Good.

Judgement is the time God tells you where you will spend eternity...Right?

It also says let the marriage bed be undefiled...
Thats pretty straight foreword.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Your question is flawed because it assumes that God doesn't exist. If He exists not then there is no sin. We know what sin is because He revealed that knowledge to us.

Why did He make it a sin? Well considering that the relationship between God and His people is mirrored in the Sacrament of Matrimony, that probably has a lot to do with it.

Just look at the seven deadly sins. All of them except pride are animalistic. We are called to be like Him, and not be like the animals of the field that are ruled by their sensual needs.

We as Catholics are currently going through lent. This season calls us to mortifications, to learn to control our appetites, and become more like our Lord.

Wot?

I believe in God and sin.

I'm not presuming God doesn't exist.

The analogy of the church as the bride of Christ is interesting. What do you think that analogy teaches us about sex before marriage? About sex before commitment?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree mostly. You can be married in the eyes of God without s certificate from the government. Ditto for divorce.

Yeah, though I will say we would have less divorces if you had to go to the clergy and have your whole family present to witness your divorce!

And since society expects it and it is not a bad thing to swear vows, I am fine with marriage ceremonies. I just don't think it is evil if the person never gets officially married in a ceremony.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If you're doing something GOOD Am i going to say "God is Going to judge you for that"

No, I'd only say it when you're doing something that is Not Good.

Judgement is the time God tells you where you will spend eternity...Right?

It also says let the marriage bed be undefiled...
Thats pretty straight foreword.

God is going to judge all of us for everything, so I don't see any one aspect as more important than another. A person may stay celibate their whole life but engage in many heinous crimes. I think they might still be judged.

The defilement of the marriage bed means bringing into it anything that doesn't belong there. If there are two consenting adults in the marriage bed, they aren't defiling it.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wot?

I believe in God and sin.

I'm not presuming God doesn't exist.

The analogy of the church as the bride of Christ is interesting. What do you think that analogy teaches us about sex before marriage? About sex before commitment?

Good points, hard to lay your life down for just every girl you meet at a party.

God designs that our love for our spouse should reflect His love for us--giving all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please provide scripture that shows that pre-marital sex "puts the soul at risk of damnation."

Gal 5:[19] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, [20] Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,
[21] Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For those who believe that pre marital sex is a sin - can you please explain why?

I don't need verses claiming it is sinful - I want to know why it is sin. For example - is it sin because it harms someone in a very specific way? How is it inethical? Specifics required.

Because most of the time it turns out to be sex without marriage and that harms someone. It was one way to start a marriage in the Old Testament. Paul tells them to marry if they can't control themselves. I shouldn't make too big a point of it when it happened and you're arranging a marriage though.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For those who believe that pre marital sex is a sin - can you please explain why?

I don't need verses claiming it is sinful - I want to know why it is sin. For example - is it sin because it harms someone in a very specific way? How is it inethical? Specifics required.

Marriage is supposed to be a blood covenant (man and woman). The breaking of which would be a sin.

Upvote 0

WithLoveFromAlyssa

Love makes a choice, it has a voice...
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere around Nashville <3
✟9,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God is going to judge all of us for everything, so I don't see any one aspect as more important than another. A person may stay celibate their whole life but engage in many heinous crimes. I think they might still be judged.

The defilement of the marriage bed means bringing into it anything that doesn't belong there. If there are two consenting adults in the marriage bed, they aren't defiling it.

It doesn't matter if they both agree to it.
THEY MUST BE MARRIED. Or else it is sexual immorality.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

It doesn't say, 'To avoid fornication mutually agree to sex.'

You are correct that God will judge us on many things....

1Cr 6:9-10
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

But fornication is up on the list....the first one on there, actually.
And Fornication = Sex between 2 unmarried people.

Upvote 0