• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why is Mary so sad?

Discussion in 'Mariology & Hagiography' started by DamianWarS, Oct 12, 2018.

1. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,014
    Christian
    Private
    upload_2018-10-12_20-16-52.jpeg

Statues of Mary, like the one depicted, have been known to show miracles or phenomenon of her crying, sometimes even tears of blood. This typically gets the attention of thousands who flock to her to get a glimpse of this phenomenon but my question is why is she so sad? What is Mary trying to communicate by this action and how does it proclaim the glory of God?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. tampasteve

tampasteve Messianic leaning Lutheran Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,385
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Generally she is weeping for the world, a country, or a people - a sign that we need to repent.

3. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,202
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I've heard it stated that she was crying because people pray to her when they are suppose to pray to the Son.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater Traditional Catholic - SSPX Supporter

+5,909
    Norway
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single
    Lol...

5. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,075
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    1 Timothy 2:5-6 says it all...………..
    "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time."

6. Fidelibus

Fidelibus Active Member

+133
    Catholic
    Private

Have you ever seen the sculpture "The Pieta" from the artist Michelangelo Buonarroti?

It features the body of Jesus placed on the lap of the Virgin Mary after her Son's and our savior’s crucifixion.

Pretty good reason to be sad, don't you think?

(See Luke 2:33-35)

Have a Blessed day

7. Fidelibus

Fidelibus Active Member

+133
    Catholic
    Private

Could I ask where you hear or read this being stated, possibly from a "Jack Chick" tract?

8. Major1

Major1 Well-Known Member

+2,075
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yes it would be.

9. Tokitee

Tokitee New Member

+19
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I'm not really sure if I should believe in that miracle. Whenever I see those pictures I'm a little wary of it.

10. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,535
    Anglican
    Married
    It looks like we've covered all the bases--and in record time. She is shown that way either because of the death of her beloved son (as is the case with The Pieta, already mentioned) or (as was earlier mentioned) because she is seen by her devotees as sorrowing over the fate of unrepentant sinners, the world, or etc.

11. DamianWarS

+1,014
    Christian
    Private
    I have seen "The Pieta" in person. But is not Christ risen? should not those tears turn into Celebration?

I'm not so sure Luke 2:33-35 is talking about a lamentation upon Mary but rather a revelation imprinted upon her that would change her forever. However even if it is a piercing of anguish is Mary in this state perpetually?

12. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,307
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    East and west, that is the usual interpretation of that phenomenon.

13. DamianWarS

+1,014
    Christian
    Private
    it kind of makes it odd that she would manifest in these ways if her goal was to take emphasis off herself and direct it to Christ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Tokitee

Tokitee New Member

+19
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I agree with you on that.

15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,535
    Anglican
    Married
    There are plenty of statues and paintings of Mary which do show her in another mood, but I took it that the inquiry was pointing out that there are many which show her as sad. Why should she be pictured this way when that is not typical of the representations of other saints?

16. tampasteve

tampasteve Messianic leaning Lutheran Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,385
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Indeed, especially when one considers that people that might lean towards this interpretation would also usually say that the saints cannot hear or interact with us from Heaven....if this is the case then they certainly can do both of those things.

17. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,535
    Anglican
    Married
    IS THAT the POV of the Christians who build shrines to Mary, pray the Rosary to Mary, name their cathedrals after her, and so on?

Or do they--if not other Christians--see her as the co-redemptrix of the world, as the most important intercessor between God and Man, and as one who has made specific promises to those who are devoted to her?

18. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,202
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I've heard verbal accounts from those who claim to of had visitations from Mary. I guess, they should be as believable as the accounts of crying status.....

Not really, what if the accounts are coming from those who pray to Mary.....to be visited and shown that this hurts her, would not lead one to continue to do so.

I say pray to anyone you desire to pray to....Im not for or against it.....was just answering the OP.

19. DamianWarS

+1,014
    Christian
    Private
    It's not the static I am referring to but the manifestions of her crying from images/statues that do not uniquely show her as sad. The image in the OP is a perfect example. The tear changes the context and presents her entire being as sad however without the tear she is welcoming, she is solemn she is worshipful but she is not sad.

20. Tokitee

Tokitee New Member

+19
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I believe that we do get visits from God, angels, and saints. I also, believe that Mary is important.

I'm just cautious about the statue crying, because it's really strange. I never heard of miracles like this, in the Bible.