Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the "word of the LORD" isn't Jesus.

The Word mentioned in Hebrews 4:12 is not a what, but a Who. That Word is Jesus Christ, as we read in Hebrews 4:13 that "no creature is hidden from His sight". Christ, our Judge, discerns the innermost parts, able to divide even the soul and spirit, knowing us deeper than anyone. It is before Him all must stand before on the Final Day at the Judgment.

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account." - Hebrews 4:12-13

-CryptoLutheran
I am considering these passages and in the same light you present. There are many coincidences set before us when we consider the Word as the name of Jesus and Scripture/the Word itself. They both are said to save and also God spoke the words of creation and we are told that everything was created through Jesus, we have the living Word...Jesus or written/spoken Scripture? (Hebrews 4:12-13), the names are identical. Revelation 1 depicts Jesus with the double-edged sword extending from His mouth. One might go on to examine this way of thinking, but seems unnecessary to do so.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am considering these passages and in the same light you present. There are many coincidences set before us when we consider the Word as the name of Jesus and Scripture/the Word itself. They both are said to save and also God spoke the words of creation and we are told that everything was created through Jesus, we have the living Word...Jesus or written/spoken Scripture? (Hebrews 4:12-13), the names are identical. Revelation 1 depicts Jesus with the double-edged sword extending from His mouth. One might go on to examine this way of thinking, but seems unnecessary to do so.
Want to add that I am not saying the Word is not Jesus, only thinking through if Jesus and the Word are synonymous in a miraculous way.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I very, very seldom disagree with you, but every commentary I've read says that the word in Hebrews 4:12 is the message from God. In Revelation 1:16 that message comes from the mouth of Jesus.

The use of Logos/Word as a name for God the Son is only in John, I think.

I would have agreed with you, but it was actually looking at the various commentaries where the repeated opinion that this refers to Christ is stated that changed my mind.

E.g.
Chrysostom writes, "In the next place, lest hearing [the words] "after the same [example]," you should think that the punishment is the same, hear what he adds; "For the Word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and pierces even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." In these words he shows that He, the Word of God, wrought the former things also, and lives, and has not been quenched." - Homily 7 on Hebrews

Your understanding isn't foreign from the various commentaries. And I suspect on some level both views have merit.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟353,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Correct. And in the Prologue we have mention of two of those Persons; God the Father and God the Word.

-CryptoLutheran

Hi. While what you are saying is true, keep in mind that the way you express it sounds like polytheism to others, even though that is not your intention. That is why the Nicean Creed was created - to clarify that the Word, by being of the very substance of the Father, is God by nature, which also is what John 1:1 is clarifying and conveying to us.

Nicean Creed regarding the nature of the Son...

"We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds (æons), Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father"

This shows us their is one God, the Father. And Lord Jesus is God in regards to His being begotten by the Father, being one substance with the Father. Thus, one God.

This also is the position of the Athanaisian Creed in explaining the nature of the Trinity, specifically the Son, as follows:

"The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created; but begotten."

Therefore there exists only one God, the Father. And Lord Jesus (the Word) is by nature God, being from the Father - of the Father's substance, begotten from eternity by the Father, not made.

This is what John 1:1 is also conveying.

John, by the language he uses in John 1:1 is showing that the Word is by nature, God, but is not another God alongside the God he is with; rather, the Word is God by nature of being of the God he is with.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Want to add that I am not saying the Word is not Jesus, only thinking through if Jesus and the Word are synonymous in a miraculous way.

That's dangerous thinking. It makes you think that the Bible is itself God, and should be worshipped.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's dangerous thinking. It makes you think that the Bible is itself God, and should be worshipped.
How are we to approach the Word? It is God's Word and we are saved through the message of the Word...furthermore we are sanctified by the Word. I believe in and worship Jesus...or shall I say the Trinity...as my God and King.
As a Lutheran I believe the elements of the Lord's Supper are both bread and wine and also Christ's real body and blood...this is miraculous. Not so far from this idea or doctrine might be that Jesus is named the Word (one of many names for Jesus) and Jesus is the Word. Now just as we Lutherans do not worship the bread and wine/body and blood of Jesus at the Lord's Supper, but do treat it as holy, so also perhaps one might end up concluding that Jesus is the Word and so treat it even more holy than we did before...without worshiping the Word/Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How are we to approach the Word? It is God's Word and we are saved through the message of the Word...furthermore we are sanctified by the Word. I believe in and worship Jesus...or shall I say the Trinity...as my God and King.
As a Lutheran I believe the elements of the Lord's Supper are both bread and wine and also Christ's real body and blood...this is miraculous. Not so far from this idea or doctrine might be that Jesus is named the Word (one of many names for Jesus) and Jesus is the Word. Now just as we Lutherans do not worship the bread and wine/body and blood of Jesus at the Lord's Supper, but do treat it as holy, so also perhaps one might end up concluding that Jesus is the Word and so treat it even more holy than we did before...without worshiping the Word/Scriptures.

And this is why, to avoid confusion, it's best to either (1) use "Word" for Jesus and "word" for the Scriptures, or (2) use "Logos" for Jesus and "Word" for the Scriptures.

It's important not to confuse Jesus and the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And this is why, to avoid confusion, it's best to either (1) use "Word" for Jesus and "word" for the Scriptures, or (2) use "Logos" for Jesus and "Word" for the Scriptures.

It's important not to confuse Jesus and the Bible.
Read in context and you'll never go wrong...for all reading, but especially when reading the Word.

Upvote 0