Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let me start by saying that I've never, not even once, seen the indoctrination of children explained to be a bad thing by any Christian. I've never seen one Christian rebuke another for the practice. In fact I don't even know if I've ever even seen a Christian even address this issue at all, apart from perhaps 1.) when a Christian is questioned on it by an atheist, or 2.) when a Christian remarks that someone is not raising their children properly (seeming to indicate a pro-indoctrination stance).

Therefore I will assume, until told otherwise, that all Christians are of the persuasion that indoctrination of children is acceptable. I am curious as to why this is found to be acceptable.

I also am curious as to why this practice is necessary, since, if we suppose that Christianity is the one true religion, there should be no dire need to perpetuate the religion by means of indoctrinating young minds. Christianity, supposing it is true, will withstand the furious scrutiny of any academic nonbeliever, so there is no threat of extinction looming over it. Furthermore, indoctrination should be unnecessary simply because either 1.) apologetics suffices to convince any rational person, or 2.) the Holy Spirit will reach out to everyone, or at least to those who are called, and since this comes from God it will be more effective than human means (indoctrination, apologetics, etc).

I understand that paternal instinct implores one to protect one's children, and in this case the parent is protecting the child from eternal hellfire, but indoctrination is only successful if it stamps out the freedom of choice in the child. This, to me, seems to be a way of telling God that he is doing it wrong because, apart from Calvanists, free will is more or less a staple doctrine. But even the Calvanists must admit that indoctrination is pointless since indoctrination of a child who is not chosen by God will not result in the child being saved whereas failure to indoctrinate a chosen child will do no harm to the child's salvation.

So in summary, please explain why indoctrination is acceptable, why it is necessary, and what the overall motivation/thought process underlying indoctrination is.

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Do you think it is a good practice to send children to school to be indoctrinated? Is it not important to teach children factual information? It seems to me that people mostly object to indoctrination when they don't agree that what is being taught is factual.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let me start by saying that I've never, not even once, seen the indoctrination of children explained to be a bad thing by any Christian. I've never seen one Christian rebuke another for the practice. In fact I don't even know if I've ever even seen a Christian even address this issue at all, apart from perhaps 1.) when a Christian is questioned on it by an atheist, or 2.) when a Christian remarks that someone is not raising their children properly (seeming to indicate a pro-indoctrination stance).

Therefore I will assume, until told otherwise, that all Christians are of the persuasion that indoctrination of children is acceptable. I am curious as to why this is found to be acceptable.

I also am curious as to why this practice is necessary, since, if we suppose that Christianity is the one true religion, there should be no dire need to perpetuate the religion by means of indoctrinating young minds. Christianity, supposing it is true, will withstand the furious scrutiny of any academic nonbeliever, so there is no threat of extinction looming over it. Furthermore, indoctrination should be unnecessary simply because either 1.) apologetics suffices to convince any rational person, or 2.) the Holy Spirit will reach out to everyone, or at least to those who are called, and since this comes from God it will be more effective than human means (indoctrination, apologetics, etc).

I understand that paternal instinct implores one to protect one's children, and in this case the parent is protecting the child from eternal hellfire, but indoctrination is only successful if it stamps out the freedom of choice in the child. This, to me, seems to be a way of telling God that he is doing it wrong because, apart from Calvanists, free will is more or less a staple doctrine. But even the Calvanists must admit that indoctrination is pointless since indoctrination of a child who is not chosen by God will not result in the child being saved whereas failure to indoctrinate a chosen child will do no harm to the child's salvation.

So in summary, please explain why indoctrination is acceptable, why it is necessary, and what the overall motivation/thought process underlying indoctrination is.

It is a normal part of parenting to raise your children with the values you believe to be correct. Hence even liberal parents indoctrinate their children (with liberalism).

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Do you think it is a good practice to send children to school to be indoctrinated? Is it not important to teach children factual information? It seems to me that people mostly object to indoctrination when they don't agree that what is being taught is factual.

Schools do not demand belief. They only demand competence. If you understand mathematics and don't believe it, universities will happily give you the degree you earned. When parents indoctrinate their children, are they satisfied with the child merely possessing an academic understanding of the faith or do the parents insist on controlling the personal beliefs of their children?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is a normal part of parenting to raise your children with the values you believe to be correct. Hence even liberal parents indoctrinate their children (with liberalism).

Liberalism is more associated with critical thinking skills, the opposite of indoctrination.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Liberalism is more associated with critical thinking skills, the opposite of indoctrination.

We both know that isn't true; liberalism, the liberalisation of social rules, is an ideology in itself into which liberal parents indoctrinate their children.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Schools do not demand belief. They only demand competence. If you understand mathematics and don't believe it, universities will happily give you the degree you earned. When parents indoctrinate their children, are they satisfied with the child merely possessing an academic understanding of the faith or do the parents insist on controlling the personal beliefs of their children?

Don't be absurd, of course schools demand beliefs. I don't know why you think that math does involve assumptions or that there aren't beliefs about how math should be done. History and science are full of beliefs. Every time a scientist tells what believe happed millions or billions of years ago when no one was around to observe it they are talking about their faith. Ethics is also about beliefs and schools will try to push the belief that cheating is wrong. Now people are wanting schools to teach about gender identity and the belief that you can pick your gender.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
  • Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Only for those who understand scripture; unfortunately that would exclude non-believers....1 Corinthians 2:14.
Perhaps obviously it excludes unbelievers,
but
I've been blessed , very blessed, to know personally little children who completely agreed that a child should be raised in the way he should go ,
and they could not read nor right.
Likewise some adults who are not able to read Scripture,
but they agree with YHWH in Y'SHUA
that children should be raised in the right way.
They believe with faith in the MESSIAH, and they know what is right.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Don't be absurd, of course schools demand beliefs. I don't know why you think that math does involve assumptions or that there aren't beliefs about how math should be done. History and science are full of beliefs. Every time a scientist tells what believe happed millions or billions of years ago when no one was around to observe it they are talking about their faith. Ethics is also about beliefs and schools will try to push the belief that cheating is wrong. Now people are wanting schools to teach about gender identity and the belief that you can pick your gender.

We are getting off topic to the point that I don't care if you're right about anything you have said. Do you have anything to say about the actual topic?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.