Why is it ok to be a fat pastor but not a gay pastor?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if your pastor is thin but you observe him piggy out at the church supper?

I am that man? I can eat as much as I want and not gain any weight. So yes, appearance and weight is not a good judge of Gluttony.

And the reference to his strips means healing from eternal death. Just as the blind man was born to show the love of God and his sons healing power, so are others that have diseases.

I find no fault in what you believe and do not wish to change your mind.
For those, who would hear it, Healing is here if you know how to obtain it.....seek and it shall be found.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Unrepentant Glutton and the Unrepentant Homosexual end up side by side in the same Lake of Fire for all eternity, do they not?

Or are you saying the unrepentant Glutton has a better, more comfortable, eternal fate?

Maybe he gets to eat the dripping?

• Haha
Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible clearly states that gluttony is a sin and that the body is a temple of the holy spirit and should be honored.

It would seem then that people who are overweight are clearly in sin (barring medical conditions)

So why is it acceptable to be a fat pastor in sin, but not a gay pastor in sin?

What happens if a pastor is both heavy set and gay? What would your argument be then?

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟39,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
You promise that Unrepentant Gluttons fair better in the Lake of Fire for all eternity than do Unrepentant Homosexuals? and you know this from "Personal Experience"?

Don’t ty to put words in my mouth, also if you don’t agree with what I said then take it up with God.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But over-eating surely is not natural either.
I think it is. Most of mankind's history you ate whenever and however and as much as you could because meals might be very irregular. Only now in the land of plenty is too much food a problem.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don’t ty to put words in my mouth, also if you don’t agree with what I said then take it up with God.
Well, as this is a message forum, where we state our opinions for public consumption, respond to one another when we agree and or disagree, or seek clarification (as I did from you), I'll go ahead take it up with you.

If you'd like to clarify your claim, please do, but from where I sit, you appear to be claiming the unrepentant Glutton somehow suffers less in the LoF for eternity for His sin than does the Unrepentant Sexual Sinner.

If That is not your claim, if you do, like me, understand and profess that the Unrepentant Glutton and Unrepentant Homosexual Suffer EQUALLY in the LoF for eternity, then it would appear you agree with me that Unrepentant Gluttony and Unrepentant sexual deviation are treated as equally sinful before the Lord God.

Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jamesbond007

Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The bible clearly states that gluttony is a sin and that the body is a temple of the holy spirit and should be honored.

It would seem then that people who are overweight are clearly in sin (barring medical conditions)

Let's examine the two sins you mentioned.

One, I do agree with you that gluttony as a sin is overlooked or ignored. Our society usually does not remove someone from their position because they are overweight. Could it be a medical condition? How obese does one have to be? It may not be gluttony.

Gluttony is considered a sin because it means one cannot control their appetites. We are warned about excess wine and meat which leads to sluggishness and poverty. Jesus taught laziness, sluggishness, and not doing due diligence in investment matters leads to poverty. Gluttony means some kind of problem with self control or lack of and it could affect other areas of your life. Thus, while we do not want to body shame someone for being overweight, it is something to discuss with someone close to you and that you care about.

Homosexuality is a different type of sin. I learned that it is similar to Adam's sin in going against that which God has made a command against. There is a strangeness to this sin which I only learned about last year -- God's punishment for the sin is more of the sin. IOW, homosexuality leads to more homosexuality. It means despite gays getting married now, they will have a hard time being faithful. It also means more disease and early deaths -- Facts and Statistics About Homosexuals. I don't think most of us in society get this information as it is hidden from us.

Thus, I don't think the level of the sin is not the same. Maybe you think different. No self control over gluttony or other fleshly wants may lead to poverty, death, or ill health, but it's something that a person can control more readily by going on a diet and watching over their self-control. It may need a treatment program or counseling with a psychiatrist if the lack of self-control is more severe. Just like someone who cannot control their temper. That's a more serious condition I think and requires psychiatric evaluation and counseling. If a pastor cannot control their temper, then I think it would lead to dismissal.

As for a gay pastor, then it is more of an outward contradiction. If your local or regional church forbids gay clergy, then they have religious grounds to remove them. It also should mean no gay marriages based on what God forbade. It's more difficult to see someone is a glutton or lacks self control and that is something that the church could handle privately with the pastor if it crops up before word gets out.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good grief. It's been clearly established that being overweight is not always a result of gluttony. That clarification does nothing to answer the spirit of the OP's question. Why the double standard when it comes to homosexuality? It's a legitimate question and the answers so far have not done much to explain, imo.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good grief. It's been clearly established that being overweight is not always a result of gluttony. That clarification does nothing to answer the spirit of the OP's question. Why the double standard when it comes to homosexuality? It's a legitimate question and the answers so far have not done much to explain, imo.
Some of us do not have a double standard. If one believes that another cannot lead if in one sin.......they should feel the same about the other.

How can a glutton be a good distributor of the bread of life? Wouldn't they be prone to keeping most of the bread for them selves?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,438.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Making fun of fat people... Isn’t that things people did as a child? I myself may have repeated silly rhymes about fat people hurting someone’s feelings in the process. If so, I have sinned a grave sin and pray forgiveness over the matter.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some of us do not have a double standard. If one believes that another cannot lead if in one sin.......they should feel the same about the other.

How can a glutton be a good distributor of the bread of life? Wouldn't they be prone for keep most of the bread to them selves?

Fair enough. That at least nullifies the OP's assumption.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Both are wrong. Both need prayer, control, repentance, and surrender of what one wants, for Christ. Sexual sin, though, is a pretty high level of serious.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both are wrong. Both need prayer, control, repentance, and surrender of what one wants, for Christ. Sexual sin, though, is a pretty high level of serious.
What makes it more serious? And is the punishment greater?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well firstly, their being overweight might indeed be due to a medical condition, a side effect of prescribed medication or a response to trauma - some people comfort eat to make themselves feel good/better rather than face emotional pain.

But on another level - absolutely.
People might ignore an overweight pastor and believe the reasons are none of their business, or ignore what the Bible says about gluttony - especially if they are carrying a few extra pounds themselves. But mention homosexuality and they get up in arms; out come the protests, the placards and the judgements. If they are going to condemn one "sin", they should be consistent and condemn them all.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Huh what?
Its natural to desire for a woman, its natural to eat, its not natural to desire a sex with the same gender. Its against nature, its perverted.

Most sins are just natural things out of control, homosexuality is against nature.
Yes, it is natural to eat. It is not, however, natural to overeat. I have seen people literally stuff themselves.

Upvote 0