Why is it frowned upon when Christian artists tackle serious topics?

Solum Aeternum

Jun 23, 2020
Bronx
✟16,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know the important thing about music is about worshiping God but that doesn't mean bands shouldn't have enough freedom to talk about topics maybe considered "taboo" in the Christian music scene. I remember NF in some of his early songs would talk about depression, anxiety and always received messages about his tone and message being too "aggressive", where he even responded to them in some songs. You don't hear many Christian artists tackle topics like abuse, domestic violence, bullying, discrimination, mental health. I get like I said earlier their goal is to provide music for worshiping but as Christians, shouldn't artist also tackle difficult topics and try to help people going through stuff? Wouldn't Christians of all artist do that?

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know the important thing about music is about worshiping God but that doesn't mean bands shouldn't have enough freedom to talk about topics maybe considered "taboo" in the Christian music scene. I remember NF in some of his early songs would talk about depression, anxiety and always received messages about his tone and message being too "aggressive", where he even responded to them in some songs. You don't hear many Christian artists tackle topics like abuse, domestic violence, bullying, discrimination, mental health. I get like I said earlier their goal is to provide music for worshiping but as Christians, shouldn't artist also tackle difficult topics and try to help people going through stuff? Wouldn't Christians of all artist do that?

To me they should tackle said topics, my model being the Bible and how God acts in His Church throughout history, not one difficult thing left unturned. As Sabertooth also mentioned, the Psalms contain all these themes as well and pray about them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are those who tackle difficult times and situations, even as there are Psalms that do. Seldom, however, will a song address a particular type of difficulty...and I don't think it's necessary that they do. One can't find a Psalm with such specificity either.

For one thing, a big thing, that would limit the outreach of that particular song. There are many songs that have gotten me through difficult issues without being about my particular issue--and in fact, the artists may have had very different difficult issues of their own in their minds as they wrote and performed the songs.

But as I listen to the song, the Holy Spirit tells me, "This one is for you." And, for that matter, the same song has sometimes been applicable to more than one issue in my life, from one season to another.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Actually the topic of Christian Contemporary music has come up in a number of recent threads the last few months, and I also have been enjoying watching a number of videos on you-tube critiquing the bad state of the art, and this is one of the big complaints. Basically that they play it too safe, writing love songs to Jesus etc. and often are afraid to really tackle their real life struggles because they will be judged etc. There's even was a parody comedy video that touches on this posted below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually the topic of Christian Contemporary music has come up in a number of recent threads the last few months, and I also have been enjoying watching a number of videos on you-tube critiquing the bad state of the art, and this is one of the big complaints. Basically that they play it too safe, writing love songs to Jesus etc. and often are afraid to really tackle their real life struggles because they will be judged etc. There's even was a parody comedy video that touches on this posted below.

That was hilarious!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't expect my church's worship band to write and sing songs about abuse, domestic violence, bullying, discrimination, or mental health. I expect them to lead the congregation in worship. Many of them are in other bands or are solo artists, either of which would be a more appropriate venue for these topics.

Now, the Christian bands I listen to recreationally are in other genres of music where some of these topics are more allowed and expected. Songs about mental health and about suicide particularly stand out.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I get like I said earlier their goal is to provide music for worshiping but as Christians, shouldn't artist also tackle difficult topics and try to help people going through stuff? Wouldn't Christians of all artist do that?

The propblem with a lot of 'christian music ' is that it is 'me' centered and theologically shallow.

That said a christian musican/songwriter should be able to tackle any topic, an example of which is John Newton wrote a hymn mentioning the arrival of a lion to the village!

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think people sometimes worry where an idea or thought will go if they pursue it, so they'd rather not hear about it, either in a song or anywhere else. To me this seems counter-productive. Avoiding issues we find difficult tends to lead to misunderstandings, and creates tensions that inevitably come out in some other way.

• Agree
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Christians often put creatives in a box. People say they want new things or differences but the response is usually negative. I've read my share of reviews on books, music, movies, etc. They're typecast and expected to churn out the 'formula' for their demographic. It's very limiting.

I thought about writing books and devotionals for that market. But the negativity isn't worth it. I'm reframing them for a broader audience.

~bella

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians often put creatives in a box. People say they want new things or differences but the response is usually negative. I've read my share of reviews on books, music, movies, etc. They're typecast and expected to churn out the 'formula' for their demographic. It's very limiting.

In today's atmosphere, unless the artists themselves had actually had that particular problem, their work will be rejected as "non-representative."

So examples would be limited and infrequent, at best.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟593,863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I remember it happening a bit more in the past that some christian singers would attempt to tackle difficult social issues. I think Julie Millar has tackled difficult subjects in her songs such as Dangerous Place, and S.O.S. (Sick of Sex) - the latter to do with the advertising industry I think. I remember Martyn Joseph often addressed serious topics in his songs.

Martyn Joseph - Working Mother - YouTube

But some of the other topics you mention could be covered - but it takes a good lyricist to make a meaningful song around such topics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We aren't talking about church music yes?

I think they should be free to talk about whatever they want, but if they are speaking from a Christian platform it should include hope and be Christ centered, not just depressing. The out of the darkness should be included, but that's true of anything whether Christian or not. Most people want to hear the way out of problems and difficulties, not revel in the darkness...

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those songs are out there. Yeah, you won't hear them in church for understandable reasons. With so few radio choices they tend to be very safe and targeting the widest audience demographic so they don't get airplay a lot either. Here's one - a song about a young couple dealing with the after effects of having an abortion, and the regret and the steps they took to acknowledge Lucy was a life - efforts to repent.

Skillet - Lucy (Lyrics) - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums