Why is it against Christianity to be left handed?

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I ran across this article (http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~eknuth/rehu/dextera.html) randomly one day (StumbleUpon FTW) and I was surprised to find this is a nearly flawless argument using the Bible stating that being left handed is an abomination. Now, I am left handed, so this worries me a fair amount. Is it only a matter of time before a movement to ban my lifestyle surfaces in America? So of course, I come here to ask is this really valid? The author uses quotes from the Bible that do oppose being left handed. I have a feeling most here will say its quite foolish and the religion has nothing against people like me, but if this solid of an argument can be founded in the bible and still be false, why can near identical arguments like the homosexual one be valid while this is not?

prophecystudent

Oct 10, 2005
✟1,313.00
Faith
Christian
I ran across this article (http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~eknuth/rehu/dextera.html) randomly one day (StumbleUpon FTW) and I was surprised to find this is a nearly flawless argument using the Bible stating that being left handed is an abomination. Now, I am left handed, so this worries me a fair amount. Is it only a matter of time before a movement to ban my lifestyle surfaces in America? So of course, I come here to ask is this really valid? The author uses quotes from the Bible that do oppose being left handed. I have a feeling most here will say its quite foolish and the religion has nothing against people like me, but if this solid of an argument can be founded in the bible and still be false, why can near identical arguments like the homosexual one be valid while this is not?

Perhaps if you posted the scriptures used to make their point it would make it easier to answer your question.

Having said that, I have read the bible, cover to cover, probably 7 or 8 times. I do not recall anything in there about left handed people not being accepted by God. In fact, there are quotations that would seem to say that God used left handed people to great effect.

Fred

UPDATE: I did a search on "left handed" using the KJV, there are no references to left handed people in that version of the bible. There are a few, perhaps 6 or 8 in other versions, none of which apply to your question.

In any case, the provisions for being a Christian have NOTHING to do with either right or left handedness. It has to do TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WITH THE ACCEPTANCE OF CHRIST AS OUR PERSONAL SAVIOR.

Nothing else matters.

Whoever apparently used scripture to make such a blatantly stupid assertion has far too much time on their hands, or has some ulterior motive in mind.

Fred

Upvote 0

desert_island_1

Be Transformed - Romans 12:2
Mar 4, 2004
Alberta
✟20,541.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Perhaps if you posted the scriptures used to make their point it would make it easier to answer your question.

Having said that, I have read the bible, cover to cover, probably 7 or 8 times. I do not recall anything in there about left handed people not being accepted by God. In fact, there are quotations that would seem to say that God used left handed people to great effect.

Fred

UPDATE: I did a search on "left handed" using the KJV, there are no references to left handed people in that version of the bible. There are a few, perhaps 6 or 8 in other versions, none of which apply to your question.

In any case, the provisions for being a Christian have NOTHING to do with either right or left handedness. It has to do TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WITH THE ACCEPTANCE OF CHRIST AS OUR PERSONAL SAVIOR.

Nothing else matters.

Whoever apparently used scripture to make such a blatantly stupid assertion has far too much time on their hands, or has some ulterior motive in mind.

Fred
Agreed. I had never head of a negative left handedness in the bible before.

Kristy

Upvote 0

jasper123

Jan 1, 2007
✟15,393.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with being left handed. Homosexuality is wrong, its against God and man.
Ron

Upvote 0

TexasGirl06

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
✟13,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is good for you to question the validity of what you read.
This left handed stuff is poo poo. :sick:

Christians can be left handed.

Upvote 0

Confess

Doing great with kids 8!
Jan 23, 2007
Wisconsin
✟10,133.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please don't throw thinly veiled mocking remarks at my legitimate question.
I am sorry. It was just so far out there that I was laughing and just had to comment.

There is a lot of garbage out there on the internet that trashes the Bible and the faith. It is just that I never read such silliness before.

Upvote 0

TexasGirl06

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
✟13,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK. I read a few sentences of the article....and it triggered something in my memory.

Back in the 1940's...1950's ? ..... they (not sure who they were) thought that children should not be left handed. In Public and in Catholic schools....they would tie the left hand of the left handed student to the back of a chair....and force the child to write with his/her right hand.
My mother told me this.
And...I heard it also from a friend who is in her 70's.

How crazy is that? :o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TexasGirl06

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
✟13,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you sit next to yourself?

Excellent question !
You are a thinker ! :thumbsup:

....God is composed of 3.
Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
All are God.
But....there are three.
But...only one God.

Confused?
It's understandable if you are.

The Trinity is so big....it is hard to wrap an understanding around it.

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I ran across this article, I was surprised to find this is a nearly flawless argument using the Bible stating that being left handed is an abomination.

Anyone but me love how there are nearly flawless arguments using the Bible that say the direct opposites of each other?

You can make any argument sound good.. when you ignore the majority of what the bible says, and only snip out what you like.

God Bless

Key

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Anyone but me love how there are nearly flawless arguments using the Bible that say the direct opposites of each other?

You can make any argument sound good.. when you ignore the majority of what the bible says, and only snip out what you like.

God Bless

Key
I think that's the point the article is trying to make...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

God Bless

Key
Exactly the point - it's a parody of certain authentic church document(s)

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
This may go back to the latin.

The word for right is dextor from which we have dexterious.

The word for left was sinistri from which we have sinister.

It is a human construction to assume that left is 'evil' whilst 'right' is good. not biblical one altough in some cultures where water is very limited they tend to prepare and eat food with their right hand and wash and cleean themselves with their left. Again this may ell have been a contribution to human reasonning that left handed is bad.

Physical left handness is not the same as the left hand path okay.

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
umaro, you really should take time to read the bible for yourself. Don't let every little thing people say blow you around in your thinking. Most of the time, it is out of context. You can see this played out even in the regular news, if you listen to public people, they often say they are misquoted and things they do and say are out of context. It is very common practice, usually for sensationalism and getting attention to themselves and often money selling their work.

The bible is not always to be taken so literally. God is a god of Spirit. When Jesus says if our eye causes us to sin, poke it out and cast it from you, if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off, no sane person in good conscience does this. God does not mean to literally do that, He is making a point that sin is so bad, take drastic action to get away from sin. The bible is not always literal, you have to find what the spirit of the talk is about, not just the black and white words. God gives the Holy Spirit to help understand His ways if you ask Him sincerely and wholeheartedly.

sometimes I know the bible refers to our right hand. Often the bible means that our right hand (the common one people use, but no disrespect to lefthanded), we work often with our hands, building things, writing, etc. The right hand is often a symbol of working like that. Also I have seen the right hand be a symbol for a few other things, but I don't recall offhand. It would be wise for you to diligently seek this out for yourself, using reliable scholarly reports. maybe a bible dictionary would be helpful for you (and still need the Holy Spirit too).

Reactions: TexasGirl06
Upvote 0