Why Is It Acceptable for Christians to Dress Like Slobs to Church?

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I wrote:

"And in doing so you are being judgmental, too. See? It's quite impossible to be a thinking, moral person with a distinct point of view and not also be judgmental."

You replied:

"I said its up to you how you think you ought to dress and act at church. By that I mean its part of your personal walk with God. Likewise, it is between me and God what convictions He gives me on how to dress and act."

That's not exactly true, though. The Bible teaches that believers are part of a community and that what one member of that community does and believes has an effect on all the other members. Speaking of sin in the church, Paul the apostle wrote, "A little leaven leavens the whole lump." If what one believer does is entirely between him and God, then Paul shouldn't have said what he did. But he seems to think quite differently than you do here. Your relationship with God is not entirely between you and Him.

You said rather more than merely "It's up to you how you think and dress at church." You very clearly criticized my more restrictive point of view on appropriate church attire. In so doing, you were judgmental. But that's okay. As I said, making judgments on things is in the nature of being a thinking person and a disciple of Christ.

You wrote:

"I never said mine is better than yours. You are the one saying your way is better than anyone who doesnt agree with you and telling people they dont respect God because they dont do what you want them to do."

Please show me where I said, "My way is better than anyone who doesn't agree with me." I also never asserted that people are disrespecting God when they don't act as I want them to. You'll find that no where in my comments in this thread. Such an idea is your contortion of my words and thoughts.

You wrote:

"I never said it was. I said that the people you think dont respect God are doing far more than the people who do."

In your small sphere of experience, perhaps. My experience is quite different.

You wrote:

Exactly, now you say so what, which was my point. Your point was that it does matter, you are now changing it.

No, I said your personal experience doesn't matter. What you've experienced is not necessarily universally true, so arguing from it as you did isn't particularly helpful.

You wrote:

"No you didnt say we/they have NO respect for God. What you said was we/they have LESS respect than you because you dress up. You must know the minds and hearts of everyone to know that."

I said nothing about "dressing up." I don't think I've used that phrase even once in everything I've written in this thread so far. I said people should dress their best when they go to worship God on a Sunday morning. That might mean only jeans and a clean t-shirt for some. For others, it might mean a three-piece suit. What is important isn't the precise kind of clothing a person wears but the attitude of respect and honor expressed toward God in one's choice of dress.

You wrote:

"I think it is a mandate of God to love our neighbour. Making people feel horribly convicted and out of place is not doing this."

I absolutely disagree with you on this. For the lost to be saved, they must feel conviction over their sin, they must see their own wickedness and rebellion toward God and recognize their desperate need of a Saviour. Helping them to these realizations is, then, among the most loving things we can do for they are necessary to genuine salvation and fellowship with God. But these realizations, for the lost sinner, are not pleasant to contemplate.

You wrote:

"It is for God to convict them in their hearts of their sin. Do you really want the unsaved to be excluded from church as that is what it sounds like. And yet you blame falling standards of dress for church attendance falling."

Of course, God convicts people of their sin. But the Church, the community of believers, is not constituted of unregenerate sinners. The lost stand outside the Church until such time as they are born-again. Until that time, they cannot worship God, nor can they truly understand His truth. What place do they have, then, in worship of God? They don't know Him; they are in fact, His enemies; they cannot offer God worship and should not be invited to a service where that is the goal.

Also, I have never made any sort of connection between falling standards of dress and falling church attendance. Where did you get that from?

You wrote:

I dont agree. God gives me conviction for my actions and using my feelings is part of that. So saying they have "little or nothing" to do with it is wrong imo.

When your feelings agree with the commands and truth and principles of God, then they may be useful in strengthening your resolve to obey God's commands, truth and principles. But it is exceedingly foolish to make your feelings any part of determining what is right or wrong, what is God-honoring and what is not.

"Feelings come, and feelings go,
And feelings are deceiving.
My warrant is the word of God,
Nought else is worth believing."

No I haven't, I have found you offensive and I wont respond to you again. What you are saying is not in :the bible. John 7:24 says not to judge by appearances which is exactly what you are doing.

Most of my response got mixed up with yours when replying. Work it out yourself.

I could, I suppose, take equal offense to the position you've taken that is so opposite and critical of my own. But that would not be at all in the way God calls His children to walk. So, you'll have to hold offense without my company.

Respecting God with as high a degree as possible in all we do is very much in the Bible. Read 1 Corinthians 10:31, for example.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So when you are before God as you go about your day do you also dress out of reverence and respect for Him? I ask because the truth is, even if you are not aware of it, He is at least as present with you during those times as He is when you are in a special meeting place.

I am quite aware of God's presence with me at all times. The circumstances of my daily living are, however, in some important respects, distinct from the time I spend in worship of God on a Sunday morning. Part of how I acknowledge that this is true is in what I choose to wear to a Sunday worship service.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that being aware of others is a very spiritual thing . Being clean ,modest, and not either too showy , or too dressy or weird indicates a soul, that cares about others .
It is evident that American culture and attitude to others, is very different from here in Europe, as you are too, me me, and not enough of, we we .
Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I recently moved to a new city and I've been checking out a lot churches in the area and I'm curious why it is acceptable to dress like a slob at so many of them. People wear flip-flops, pajama pants, sweat pants, graphic tees that make them look like a billboard, athletic shorts, or shirts that actually might be parachutes I'm not sure. Stuff that doesn't even fall into the casual dress category, just straight up lazy slob.

Clearly it is not a money problem. Everyone has a $2-600 cell phone in their pocket they pay ~$60 or more a month for data, they can afford to go buy a collared shirt and some nice pants. Even designer stores have really nice clothes for ~$20-30 during their seasonal clearance sales which seemingly go on all year round these days.

I can only guess it's a respect problem? I mean I can't imagine these people dress like that all the time, do they? I know anyplace I've ever worked will tell you to go home if you dress like that, and I know if I was on a date with a woman and she showed up in sweats or flip-flops and we weren't going to the beach I'd just shake my head and leave. I can understand visitors, but why is it acceptable for Christians to dress like slobs to church?
It is acceptable because Christianity is not about how one dresses his body but how one dresses his spirit.

We are told not to judge based on outward appearances.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I recently moved to a new city and I've been checking out a lot churches in the area and I'm curious why it is acceptable to dress like a slob at so many of them. People wear flip-flops, pajama pants, sweat pants, graphic tees that make them look like a billboard, athletic shorts, or shirts that actually might be parachutes I'm not sure. Stuff that doesn't even fall into the casual dress category, just straight up lazy slob.

In the church I go to, most of us dress UP to go to church. As a monk, I invariably wear cassock and a skufia--a little hat that looks like a sailor's hat, but black, and taller.

On special occasions--the Bishop is going to be there, something like that. I will wear a Riassa--an outer cloak that look more like a Jedi's coat than anything else--and a klobuk--the hat I am wearing in my picture.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Peter 3:3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Clearly it is not a money problem. Everyone has a $2-600 cell phone in their pocket they pay ~$60 or more a month for data, they can afford to go buy a collared shirt and some nice pants. Even designer stores have really nice clothes for ~$20-30 during their seasonal clearance sales which seemingly go on all year round these days.

I can only guess it's a respect problem? I mean I can't imagine these people dress like that all the time, do they? I know anyplace I've ever worked will tell you to go home if you dress like that, and I know if I was on a date with a woman and she showed up in sweats or flip-flops and we weren't going to the beach I'd just shake my head and leave. I can understand visitors, but why is it acceptable for Christians to dress like slobs to church?
I grew up in a strict Irish Catholic family. We were dressed in Sunday best every Sunday in church. When we did attend Saturday evening Mass we would still be wearing appropriately. For boys and men still a collared button shirt and slacks. Shoes of course. :)

I'm Evangelical now and see your point. The older gentlemen wear sports jacket in cooler temps and always have a collared button down dress shirt slacks and shoes.

I follow the way of the elders due to my Catholic background and also military service. It is a matter of respect. We come before the Lord's Table and we should be our best. I mean that as in each according to their means. We were not rich growing up. My dad worked 2-3 jobs to pay the mortgage, bills and Catholic education. My mother was a nanny and scrubbed floors. Yet every Christmas we were able to afford new clothes for church and school.

Ok, now far from being starchy I live in Texas. So 10 months out of the year no one wears jacket and tie or even long sleeved shirts. However, Texas formal or semi formal is acceptable even in Catholic or Old mainline churches. I mostly see slacks polo shirt and shoes for men, and the ladies appropriately dressed.

Until today. I saw two women in shorts, one in yoga pants (you could imagine what the other ladies were saying not to mention the men who noticed). I did see a military guy in open toe sandals and shorts. Which was odd. Maybe not.

Now to be fair. Many churches want you to come to church and don't want people to not come because of some official or unofficial dress code. I understand that. However see your point. We should come as our best to church.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I try to dress neatly for church, button shirt and neat trousers, but this doesn't really matter in my opinion.

I mean, they came to Church. Full stop. Who cares how they look? What matters is the heart. After all, I am fairly certain we are not supposed to judge others on their outward appearance.
I agree it is important to set an atmosphere of welcome. People can dress casually and still be respectful.

I think both can be accomplished.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So anyone is allowed to keep coming to church? Guy who cheats on his wife, it's cool for him to come and sit in the next pew over with his new mistress?
You just changed the subject from dressing for church to openly unrepentant sinner. Full stop on that one.

Suppose some homeless guy sees everyone filing into church decides to come in and he's wearing worn out trousers and a smelly t shirt? He gets a first row seat in my church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heck, just about anything.

Ho many people actually wore PJ's on the day in question?
The important question is were the PJs clean? At Walmart they sometimes are not. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a monk, I invariably wear cassock and a skufia--a little hat that looks like a sailor's hat, but black, and taller
I like the hats.

download (1).jpg

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am quite aware of God's presence with me at all times. The circumstances of my daily living are, however, in some important respects, distinct from the time I spend in worship of God on a Sunday morning. Part of how I acknowledge that this is true is in what I choose to wear to a Sunday worship service.
Fair enough I guess, please forgive me.
For myself, when people treat Sunday as some sort of special day to get dressed up on it is a reflection of how they wish to treat their family in Christ, in particular isolated Christians, such as myself, for whom the 5 days on 2 days off Monday to Friday lifestyle is a myth. The good and well dressed Sunday Christian usually has exactly zero time for their slobbish ragamuffin bretheren who do not dress up all fancy and attend the weekly meeting.

th

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2017
Arkansas
✟8,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
So anyone is allowed to keep coming to church? Guy who cheats on his wife, it's cool for him to come and sit in the next pew over with his new mistress?

It isn't right for people to cheat I get that, but aren't churches supposed to be hospitals for sinners? It's not right to act high and mighty and then go out and commit horrible acta, come back repent and repesnt, but churches are sanctuaries for the lost. If they come to church and really mean to get right it's not up to me to judge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 25, 2017
Arkansas
✟8,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It isn't right for people to cheat I get that, but aren't churches supposed to be hospitals for sinners? It's not right to act high and mighty and then go out and commit horrible acta, come back repent and repesnt, but churches are sanctuaries for the lost. If they come to church and really mean to get right it's not up to me to judge.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I can think of something worse than dressing over-casually in church. Judging fellow believers as inadequate based solely on what they are wearing, and calling them slobs. What is that all about?

I imagine the Lord saying, 'Come in your best; come in your worst; come as you are, but just come.'

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Fair enough I guess, please forgive me.
For myself, when people treat Sunday as some sort of special day to get dressed up on it is a reflection of how they wish to treat their family in Christ, in particular isolated Christians, such as myself, for whom the 5 days on 2 days off Monday to Friday lifestyle is a myth. The good and well dressed Sunday Christian usually has exactly zero time for their slobbish ragamuffin bretheren who do not dress up all fancy and attend the weekly meeting.

th

Good grief.

Judging people as too well dressed is just the same as judging them as too casually dressed.

What part of 'as you judge, so you will be judged' is difficult to understand?

Matthew 7:2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Using clothing as any kind of overt personal statement is the kind of immodesty Paul was talking about.

Thank you for your opinion, but you do not get to translate for Paul.

EVERYONE makes an overt personal statement with their clothing. That is not 'immodesty', let alone the 'immodesty Paul was talking about.' It is just part of wearing clothes; what we choose to wear ALWAYS says something about us.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You know if you went to church to size up everyone according to your principles then you went for the wrong reason. Just go and worship God....keep yours eyes on Jesus....don't let what others do be the focus of your church attendance.

Upvote 0