Why Is It Acceptable for Christians to Dress Like Slobs to Church?

May 11, 2017
Saucier
✟52,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently moved to a new city and I've been checking out a lot churches in the area and I'm curious why it is acceptable to dress like a slob at so many of them. People wear flip-flops, pajama pants, sweat pants, graphic tees that make them look like a billboard, athletic shorts, or shirts that actually might be parachutes I'm not sure. Stuff that doesn't even fall into the casual dress category, just straight up lazy slob.

Clearly it is not a money problem. Everyone has a $2-600 cell phone in their pocket they pay ~$60 or more a month for data, they can afford to go buy a collared shirt and some nice pants. Even designer stores have really nice clothes for ~$20-30 during their seasonal clearance sales which seemingly go on all year round these days.

I can only guess it's a respect problem? I mean I can't imagine these people dress like that all the time, do they? I know anyplace I've ever worked will tell you to go home if you dress like that, and I know if I was on a date with a woman and she showed up in sweats or flip-flops and we weren't going to the beach I'd just shake my head and leave. I can understand visitors, but why is it acceptable for Christians to dress like slobs to church?

I don't think that it's a disrespect problem. It's acceptable because Jesus himself said, Come as you are.

But if your talking about them dressing as gangsters and bad stuff like that with skulls and bones and things like that, I would have the preacher talk to them.

But think about it this way, Clothing doesn't make the soul, Jesus does.

Do you think Jesus himself wore a suit or extra fancy clothes to church? As long as you dress decent, you will be fine.

#WhatwouldJesusWear

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
You should always be improving some area of you life. Just because an area of life isn't explicitly mentioned in the Bible doesn't mean God doesn't care about it. The Bible gives us the basic knowledge and principles about what it means to be obedient to him, and it's up to us as people to use Wisdom to apply that knowledge and those principles to modern life. Dressing nice is a part of modern culture that serves many purposes, such as demonstrating respect and professionalism.

Yes, dressing lazily for church is a sin if you have the ability to dress nicer (which in modern countries is virtually everyone). And sure, maybe someone never had a father or whoever to teach them how to dress properly, and that's fine, not saying people need to be perfect right away, but it is something that should be addressed sooner rather than later. A person who dresses nicer will be more successful socially and professionally as well, so there's no reason not to learn it as soon as you can.

And I'm not making a list of particular things that aren't acceptable, I only mention things like t-shirt and flip-flop because everyone has better clothes than that. Even employees at McDonalds wear collared polo shirts and shoes. I think a good standard should be that the clothes you wear to church should be as nice or nicer than what you wear to work and on date nights, which is not flip flips and a t-shirt for pretty much the entire population, lets be real.
Ok. Then, yes, you are looking at this whole issue differently than most of the people in this thread. You see not dressing well to church as being a sin because you see it as disrespecting God and other people. I would agree with that if that is what they are purposely doing -- trying to disrespect God or other people.

Yes, you really need to find a church where the people dress the way that you believe that they should to church. Because you see this as a moral issue, I think that this issue will bother you to the point where it affects your worship of God in these churches that do not dress according to how you think people who attend church should.

If you do continue to attend these churches where their dress is different from what you would like to see on them, and since you object from a moral point of view, I think you are going to butt heads with those who attend those churches.

You'd have a much easier time of things if you found a church where the people tended to agree with you on dress.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And as I've said before, what's on the outside is a reflection of the heart, and vice versa. They are not separate. If someone is so poor they can't afford clothes, then sure, God doesn't care. But the modern world is so rich that everyone can afford nice clothes. Not wearing nice clothes is a matter of the heart because it's a choice, which means it is a moral issue because respect for God and other people is a moral issue. I would buy the excuse about it creating a more intimate environment if that's how the people making that claim dress on date nights. Maybe that's the case, but I highly doubt it.

so what you are suggesting the heart looks like with flip flops and sweatpants? what does the heart look like with a suit? you are glossing over these terms like everyone knows x clothes = x values but don't really say what is the moral issue is. Clothes are not inherently good or bad and just because these people's mores don't reflect yours mores doesn't mean they don't make conscious choices to love God. why not engage these people and really see what their values are? Paul tells us "To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some." You can have a role in these people's lives but if all you can be is offended then you're not going to be able to help them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This topic/responses are kind of sad and show the disarray of the church in general. People worrying (and judging) people who dress lazily? Who cares honestly. God didn't have a 11th commandment about "Thou shalt only wear casual clothes to church.". And depending on where you live the word "casual" can mean anything. Especially in other countries like my wifes where outside of big cities they wear flipflops, tank tops, shorts....etc.

And then the adultry thing makes no sense. Was there yet another commandment about "Thou shall not be allowed at church if thou is sinning."? Everyone who goes to church (even the pastor) messes up at times from one sin or another. Maybe its swearing or having a short fuse or even jay walking (which is break the law). Jesus Himself said no one is good, not a one! This is in reference to all of us humans.

I'd counter your post by saying what sins do you commit? And why do you go to church then? Because the answer to all this is church is where people go to heal (among other things). Imperfect people standing before a perfect God in prayer looking for help. Now someone who is cheating with someone else at the church and they both go to the church.... yeah thats pretty bad since they are living in sin and don't seem to care. But they are still allowed to go, we may not approve of it as christians but God would still want them in church so He can reach out to them (not that He can't do that outside of church).

Lastly I'd ask are you maybe projecting? Like maybe you do not always dress great and thus you point out others who do to so you feel better about yourself? Or maybe the real issue is about money since you pointed out they have phones that cost alot but cheap clothes. This is not an attack mind you. Just trying to see why you seem so enraged over what someone wears. Its really....strange. Unless of course your denomination has rules about how to dress (some churches do).

BTW I will say, I do think people in general should dress appropriately for church. Such as the girls at our old church who are late teens/young adults who wear SUPER tight and tiny skirts, sandles and a super baggy tank top that lets you see their breast and bra from the side. Its not something you should wear to church. However not really up to me who wears what, only God can judge them for that. Though I doubt thats His biggest concern when it comes to people that go to church.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recently moved to a new city and I've been checking out a lot churches in the area and I'm curious why it is acceptable to dress like a slob at so many of them. People wear flip-flops, pajama pants, sweat pants, graphic tees that make them look like a billboard, athletic shorts, or shirts that actually might be parachutes I'm not sure. Stuff that doesn't even fall into the casual dress category, just straight up lazy slob.

Clearly it is not a money problem. Everyone has a $2-600 cell phone in their pocket they pay ~$60 or more a month for data, they can afford to go buy a collared shirt and some nice pants. Even designer stores have really nice clothes for ~$20-30 during their seasonal clearance sales which seemingly go on all year round these days.

I can only guess it's a respect problem? I mean I can't imagine these people dress like that all the time, do they? I know anyplace I've ever worked will tell you to go home if you dress like that, and I know if I was on a date with a woman and she showed up in sweats or flip-flops and we weren't going to the beach I'd just shake my head and leave. I can understand visitors, but why is it acceptable for Christians to dress like slobs to church?

What do you believe God cares about more? A clean heart that shows up to hear His word and fellowship with His people that may look like a "slob" or someone that looks clean on the outside but whose heart is dirty?

Secondly, who has the right to judge what constitutes looking like a slob? You? Some people that suffer from OCD could constitute a single wrinkle as being of "slob" nature.

Do you honestly believe that you in your best dressing are worthy some how to stand before God because you put on your "Sunday clothes"?

Why do you go into the house of God and judge others that are different than yourself. Their walk is not yours, IF the Spirit in them is NOT convicted to wear their best dress, who are YOU to condemn them for it?

If you go to church, you should go for God and stop looking for those you can look down upon. Worry about your relationship to the Father rather than worrying about the looks of others.

When a church is worried about image more than relationship to the Father it no longer remains an environment of love for their brother or sister in Christ but becomes a den of vipers much as the Phrases that loved their laws, to judge and condemn others because their exterior image was that of the law and pure, but their hearts were dirty.

If I were you brother or sister I would ask God to show me what is in my heart that causes me to judge the looks of others that may or may not have a genuine desire for God and ask Him to help deal with that issue in my heart ..... whether you feel it disrespectful or not, doesn't matter. It's NOT about you.

However if you are truly unforgiving and judging one of God's children..... how much respect are YOU giving the Father in His house?

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Life is not a set of completely unrelated values and actions. Most of how people act in life all stems from the same set or core values. If people view church as unimportant and not worthy of the respect of even dressing up, then they probably don't find it very important to support the church financially, to volunteer to support church functions, or to even be all that serious about being obedient to God. Try showing up to an interview for a job looking like a slob and convincing them the way you dress isn't "the biggest issue" with whether or not you're qualified for the job.

I do not know about all that. Some of the most godly men I know where jeans and t shirts while some of the biggest scammers and hypocrites show up in slacks. It means nothing, don't wash the outside of the cup only. White washed tombs with dead men's bones inside. If you want to dress up, that is fine, but there is no biblical precedence set for anything of the sort. I am far more concerned with the blatant sin, compromise, and false gospels being taught then what people wear. Now I will say, no one should wear revealing clothing period but that is a different issue altogether.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Finding nice clothes for church: I got 90% of my dressier clothes from the local thrift store. Last outing, 63 dollars for a dress, 3 skirts, 3 tops and a pair of shoes. The only "new" stuff I buy anymore are underthings and hose.

It's not hard to wear decent clothes to church. A clean shirt, clean jeans, decent shoes for guys, something suitable for women...

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did you get from wearing overly casual clothes to adultery?

If I remember correctly Paul only talks about dressing to show off, fancy hair styles and jewelry, but never about patched clothes and sandals.

Perhaps you should buy that guy some clothes and shoes.

Christians should not be annoying to one another. Christians should care whether they are being annoying to someone.

It may be a personal problem on that guy's own point, but:

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Aren't a lot of our standards of what constitutes smart clothing fairly artificial to begin with? What practical purpose does a tie serve? Why is a collared shirt better than a non-collared shirt? Why are closed shoes better than ones that show the wearer's toes? Why are long trousers better than shorts?

The insistence on dressing smartly to go to church is imposing at standard, but where does that standard come from? Is it from God or is it man-made? If the latter, how important is it really?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Comes across as very judgemental to me. Who are you to judge the hearts of other believers?

Are you not guilty of being judgmental here, too? It looks like it to me. Can I say to you, then, "Who are you to judge me?" There is a command of Christ to "judge righteous judgement." Paul judged a Corinthian believer quite severely, commanding his ejection from the Corinthian church. All believers are to distinguish between moral right and wrong. This requires making a moral judgment call. Being "judgmental," then, is inherent in being a faithful, holy disciple of Christ.

I tend to agree with the poster who said older people tend to think you should dress up for church. Where I am it tends to be over 60's think you should dress up for church and under 60s are comfortable in jeans and t shirt, or even shorts in summer. I consider having to dress up for church being a religious thing comparable to the Pharisees.

If you want to dismiss the whole matter of dress as merely an age thing, I can't stop you. But I can certainly disagree with you. The evangelical Christian church in North America has been undergoing a steady decline for the last seventy years or so. It has now become a highly spiritually and doctrinally juvenile community which is reflected in, among other things, the way people dress for worship of their holy, awesome Maker. You say a concern for proper, respectful dress in church is merely pharisaical, but as far as I'm concerned it shows a far greater degree of honor and respect for God to dress one's best for church than to show up for worship dressed for the beach, or a sleepover, or for a prowl at the local nightclub.

People should be able to come to work how they feel comfortable. I have word a suit and tie for work in the past and do now when I see customers but I dont when I go out and I must have said hundreds of times that I hate wearing a noose (tie) and only do when I absolutely have to.

Here's a thought: Worship of God isn't about you and what makes you comfortable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Clearly it is not a money problem. Everyone has a $2-600 cell phone in their pocket they pay ~$60 or more a month for data, they can afford to go buy a collared shirt and some unice pants. Even designer stores have really nice clothes for ~$20-30 during their seasonal clearance sales which seemingly go on all year round these days.

Hi,
lol! You have a good point. It's about respect and personal standards. I always dress smartly, many of our congregation wear suit and tie, as they are elderly. I love that.
However, it is a wonderful thing that all those people DO go to church and are believers in Christ or on their journey to becoming so. That is the important matter.
You can set an example by being smart and friendly and talking to people. We each have the option of setting a good example.
But I understand your feelings and they are valid.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My clothing says less about what I think of God than it says about what I think of myself. If it makes people think less of me, then they think more accurately, and for that I cannot apologize. Good night.

Oh, and I'm wearing cargo pants, a dress shirt un-tucked with no tie, and old worn-out loafers to church tomorrow. That's the nicest thing in my closet. See you in church.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
People wear a suit to an interview and their wedding. Why you wouldn't make an effort when you worship the Lord is beyond me.

That's because society's "rules" dictate what should be worn at interviews and weddings. The question is whether there are similar rules regarding church attendance and worshipping God. Some people believe that there are while others don't, and this is one of those issues where it's unlikely that the two sides will ever agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I travel a lot and go to a variety of churches. I have found more formal traditional churches with older members will dress in suits and ties and Sunday best to church while in the freer churches you generally wear what you are comfortable with. In the former churches God is awesome and slightly distant, in the latter churches Jesus is my friend and knows me as I am so I can just be just as I am. There is value in both perspectives. As a culture we do seem to have lost the sense of awe and transcendence that older generations had about God and indeed authority generally. But the insight that God is with us not just on Sundays but everyday of the week and values authenticity over respect is quite important.

So how we dress says more about how we perceive God than it does about how God sees us. God is awesome ruling the universe and he is our friend who walks amongst us also.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you not guilty of being judgmental here, too? It looks like it to me. Can I say to you, then, "Who are you to judge me?" There is a command of Christ to "judge righteous judgement." Paul judged a Corinthian believer quite severely, commanding his ejection from the Corinthian church. All believers are to distinguish between moral right and wrong. This requires making a moral judgment call. Being "judgmental," then, is inherent in being a faithful, holy disciple of Christ.

If you want to dismiss the whole matter of dress as merely an age thing, I can't stop you. But I can certainly disagree with you. The evangelical Christian church in North America has been undergoing a steady decline for the last seventy years or so. It has now become a highly spiritually and doctrinally juvenile community which is reflected in, among other things, the way people dress for worship of their holy, awesome Maker. You say a concern for proper, respectful dress in church is merely pharisaical, but as far as I'm concerned it shows a far greater degree of honor and respect for God to dress one's best for church than to show up for worship dressed for the beach, or a sleepover, or for a prowl at the local nightclub.

Here's a thought: Worship of God isn't about you and what makes you comfortable.

You said that people who dont dress up for church dont respect God. I think I am justified by saying that sounds judgemental. If you think it makes you a better Christian than me because you dress up and I dont, thats up to you and that was quite clear in what you said. Our fruit and godly works (not self righteous works which are as dirty rags) is more important to me than clothes.

At my church there are people who turn up on Sunday dressed up in trousers, shirts and shoes or women in dresses, etc and are not seen any other time. Then there are some who turn up in jeans and t shirts who during the week also meet up to pray, organise church events, go out on the streets to pray for people, do evangelism and feed the homeless. By your standards these one who are doing stuff for God are the ones who dont respect Him. There is one in particular who always dresses up and has a number of ministries he organises and puts a lot of his own money into as well. To me its the fruit and not the dress that is important, and it just happens that more people show fruit who dress casually than dress up in my church. It really does not matter to me how people dress as long as it is in the biblical lines of being modest and respectful, I guess you see the word respectful differently to me.

Read 1 Peter3:3-8.

You have clearly linked the decline of the church to people dressing casually. I would say this dress reflects societies move in general. People feel the church is alien to them and not somewhere they want to go. Making it a formal environment is likely to alienate them even more. In posh restaurants that jeans would not have been allowed in 10 or 20 years ago it is now acceptable. In fact often someone will wear a £200 pair of designer jeans as opposed to a £10 pair of trousers when going out. For me, the formal dress churches are a turn off and dont fit in with society. When I do dress up it has a psychological effect of making me feel I only do it as I have to do it and its not how I feel comfortable.

If we want unsaved people to come into the churches and feel comfortable, they need to do so as they are. If they come in dressed casually and everyone in their is dressed up they are likely to feel underdressed and uncomfortable.

I do however think if someone is preaching or greeting on the door or something visible like that a shirt looks better, although is not essential.

If you want to dress up that is fine, I dont have an issue with it. We should all do what we feel is right. But to tell someone they dont respect God because they don't dress up is going too far in my opinion and I do find that judgemental. You have said I dont respect God as much as you because I dont dress up, how is that not judging me? It is one thing to talk about your beliefs and encourage other believers, it is another to tell they they dont respect God because they dont do what you do. I am offended by what you said but forgive you.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously you have some concern for the outside or you wouldn't even bother with new clothes. The outside is a reflection of the inside. Would you go to church all sweaty and smell because "the inside is what matters"? Obviously different people have different definitions of what dressing up means, but I think dressing up as nice or nicer than you do for work or for dates is a good standard to go by, and lots of churches these days are full of people who don't.

Its fine you wear 'nice' clothes. Most do. It's profoundly dangerous to you or anyone on the day of judgement to come to judge by appearances. Most of us need to be careful to not judge people as people instead of the actions the scripture points at (because we've made that mistake, sin, before of judging people themselves), and I'm pointing out something I have to search myself on many times, as do most.

Here's something to check. Do you welcome the stranger even if he is dressed in a way you don't like?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This isn't ancient times. Nice clothes are available to everyone in the modern world, all you have to do is choose to take advantage of them.
I dont believe that dressing up is a spiritual thing. You may think that holiness is about wearing nice clothes but i dont.

Upvote 0