Why Is It Acceptable for Christians to Dress Like Slobs to Church?

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it would make some men uncomfortable if women started coming to church in short shorts and halter tops just because there was no restrictions on what they could wear.
I agree.
I think that this would be considered immodest dress and should not be allowed. It could cause someone one to stumble.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recently moved to a new city and I've been checking out a lot churches in the area and I'm curious why it is acceptable to dress like a slob at so many of them. People wear flip-flops, pajama pants, sweat pants, graphic tees that make them look like a billboard, athletic shorts, or shirts that actually might be parachutes I'm not sure. Stuff that doesn't even fall into the casual dress category, just straight up lazy slob.

Clearly it is not a money problem. Everyone has a $2-600 cell phone in their pocket they pay ~$60 or more a month for data, they can afford to go buy a collared shirt and some nice pants. Even designer stores have really nice clothes for ~$20-30 during their seasonal clearance sales which seemingly go on all year round these days.

I can only guess it's a respect problem? I mean I can't imagine these people dress like that all the time, do they? I know anyplace I've ever worked will tell you to go home if you dress like that, and I know if I was on a date with a woman and she showed up in sweats or flip-flops and we weren't going to the beach I'd just shake my head and leave. I can understand visitors, but why is it acceptable for Christians to dress like slobs to church?

I really do not think dress is the biggest issue with the church today. With that being said, there is absolutely no mention of dress codes in the bible and we know that Jesus and the disciples were not flashy dressers :)

Funny thing, I was a member of a church where the pastor forced the ushers to wear slacks, dress shirt, and tie. He wore jeans....

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm an oldie, so I agree with this, but I also realize that in general most folks don't dress up for anything these days.

Very true and sad really, the lack of general respect

Upvote 0

Edo2

Mar 25, 2017
Usa
✟27,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
James 2:2‭-‬4 ASV
James 2:2-4; For if there come into your synagogue a man with a gold ring, in fine clothing, and there come in also a poor man in vile clothing; and ye have regard to him that weareth the fine clothing, and say, Sit thou here in a good place; and ye say to the poor man, Stand thou there, or sit under my footstool; do ye not make distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?

I have heard preachers and pastors say that if jesus walked into a church today dressed and in appearance as he was when he was walking the face of the earth alot people would think he was a homeless guy off the street because he would look more like them than people who put on nice clothes.

People from that time didn't always recognize him because he didn't stand out because of his appearance. His ministry and mission had absolutely nothing to do with outward appearance.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I wear a T-shirt, shorts, and sandals to church in the summer, as it's practical, which I guess would then make me a "slob".

I don't think there's anything wrong with dressing up to go to church, but I don't because that's not who I am. I don't own a suit, I hardly ever wear a tie, I only own 2-3 long sleeve shirts, so my wardrobe definitely leans towards the casual. Which means that to wearing my preferred attire of a T-shirt and jeans/shorts to church is a much truer reflection of who I am than wearing something formal.

I adhere to a dress code at work because there's an accepted view of what looks professional (although we're not public-facing, so the dress code is a bit more casual than other places), and I would dress up for a date as that's what the woman would be expecting. But is God really expecting me to dress up to go to church? Do you have to dress formally on order to show reverence? For me the answer to those two questions is "No".

A big part of the reason why I attend the church I do is that it's somewhere I feel comfortable, and I don't think that I would feel comfortable attending any church that insisted that I had to dress in a certain way.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"layabout, good-for-nothing, sluggard, laggard"

Is this how you really see them? Maybe you by chance used the wrong word :) why do you go to Church? In a world like we live today.. man...to see people going to Church.. the lord as it is written does not look at the outside.. its the heart. This "have to ware you Sunday best" was MAD MADE.

Church was going over to so and so house.. and sing praise were everyone at some point had a chance to talk share. I understand..but.. go for you... God LOVES to take care of HIS children

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently moved to a new city and I've been checking out a lot churches in the area and I'm curious why it is acceptable to dress like a slob at so many of them. People wear flip-flops, pajama pants, sweat pants, graphic tees that make them look like a billboard, athletic shorts, or shirts that actually might be parachutes I'm not sure. Stuff that doesn't even fall into the casual dress category, just straight up lazy slob.

Clearly it is not a money problem. Everyone has a $2-600 cell phone in their pocket they pay ~$60 or more a month for data, they can afford to go buy a collared shirt and some nice pants. Even designer stores have really nice clothes for ~$20-30 during their seasonal clearance sales which seemingly go on all year round these days.

I can only guess it's a respect problem? I mean I can't imagine these people dress like that all the time, do they? I know anyplace I've ever worked will tell you to go home if you dress like that, and I know if I was on a date with a woman and she showed up in sweats or flip-flops and we weren't going to the beach I'd just shake my head and leave. I can understand visitors, but why is it acceptable for Christians to dress like slobs to church?

I think God prefers that you don't wear shoes.
You are expected to knock the dust off your feet though.
And you should be washing others feet as well.
Do that and you are ahead of the pack.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think how a person dresses (who isn't unduly constrained by poor finances) on a Sunday morning at church reflects something of their heart toward the God they've come to worship. Those who have diminished God in their thinking, who do not see Him as the awesome and terrible Creator of the Universe, as the Ground of All Reality and the Sustainer of Everything, as the holy and perfect Jehovah who met with Moses with thunder and lightning on Mount Sinai and who filled the temple with devastating brightness, tend to take Him lightly and deal with Him with a casualness that has become quite grotesque (ie. flip flops, tank tops, beach shorts, sweat pants, etc.)

Many in church on Sunday aren't really there because they are interested in God. They've come for the show: music, lights, food, socializing, motivational speaking. They worship God with their mouths, rocking the house with Jesus and the worship band, but their hearts are far from their Maker. And it shows. Why dress for a meeting with the Queen of England when you're just going to a rock concert?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If POTUS invites me to dinner at the White House, I am not going like I just came in from the garden. I dress in a suit and tie most days for work. Should I not value and respect coming into the presence of our Lord more than these things?

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think how a person dresses (who isn't unduly constrained by poor finances) on a Sunday morning at church reflects something of their heart toward the God they've come to worship. Those who have diminished God in their thinking, who do not see Him as the awesome and terrible Creator of the Universe, as the Ground of All Reality and the Sustainer of Everything, as the holy and perfect Jehovah who met with Moses with thunder and lightning on Mount Sinai and who filled the temple with devastating brightness, tend to take Him lightly and deal with Him with a casualness that has become quite grotesque (ie. flip flops, tank tops, beach shorts, sweat pants, etc.)

Many in church on Sunday aren't really there because they are interested in God. They've come for the show: music, lights, food, socializing, motivational speaking. They worship God with their mouths, rocking the house with Jesus and the worship band, but their hearts are from their Maker. And it shows. Why dress for a meeting with the Queen of England when you're going to a rock concert?
Comes across as very judgemental to me. Who are you to judge the hearts of other believers?

I tend to agree with the poster who said older people tend to think you should dress up for church. Where I am it tends to be over 60's think you should dress up for church and under 60s are comfortable in jeans and t shirt, or even shorts in summer. I consider having to dress up for church being a religious thing comparable to the Pharisees. People should be able to come to work how they feel comfortable. I have word a suit and tie for work in the past and do now when I see customers but I dont when I go out and I must have said hundreds of times that I hate wearing a noose (tie) and only do when I absolutely have to. Even at weddings these days I tend to wear a suit with an open shirt. So if I only dress up for times when it si absolutely necessary, why should I feel I have to for church every week? If I did feel I had to dress up i would undoubtably go far less as I dont like dressing up or wearing shoes (I wear trainers)

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My policy is when in Rome due as the Romans do. If I know the congregation expects formal attire I will dress accordingly. If they are casual; likewise there. For me it is a matter of not offending the sensibilities of the group I am with. As for my own belief, I don't think God cares about such matters. His concern is the attitude of our hearts. For many they dress as an attitude of giving their best to God, and I think God appreciates that. For others it is to impress other people by their clothing, and God would appreciate the casually dressed whose heart is turned towards Him more than others, than the well dressed trying to impress people.

So to answer your question, how do the people respond to God that are casually dressed?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If POTUS invites me to dinner at the White House, I am not going like I just came in from the garden. I dress in a suit and tie most days for work. Should I not value and respect coming into the presence of our Lord more than these things?
If you are born again you are in the presence of the Lord 24/7. If you do not have the new birth, going to a building with religious symbols will not put you in the presence of the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you are born again you are in the presence of the Lord 24/7. If you do not have the new birth, going to a building with religious symbols will not put you in the presence of the Lord.

Some of us view a house of worship as sacred space. Obviously some of us do not. I do.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some of us view a house of worship as sacred space. Obviously some of us do not. I do.
I know, I and I am not diminishing what you believe. However, the Bible tells us that God does not dwell in buildings of brick and stone, rather he dwells in the hearts of believers and that we are the temple of God today. And etymologically, we are the church of God since church is a German word that means "house". God accepts us in our various understandings of him if we have the new birth. This is why in my first response I said that how I dressed would depend on the group I was visiting. If I visited an Anglican service I would wear a suit and tie out of respect for the people, but I know that God accepts me in blue jeans, too.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I suspect one's affiliation matters. There are congregations that offer informal or casual worship experiences. One where folks warmly greet their fellow congregants and get chatty before the service like a family coming together after being separated awhile. In some places, one may sip coffee throughout the service. A casual service probably lends itself to casual attire (although I would be the odd duck showing up in at least a tie).

There are other congregations like mine where, the congregation assembles quietly in prayer and doesn't exchange greeting until the passing of the peace or after the service. We believe in the real presence of the Eucharist. The un-consumed consecrated host is reserved for the next service, hence Christ is present in the sanctuary in a somewhat different way than He is with us on Monday morning. Coffee during worship would be frowned upon. Truth be told, we have a wide range of dress in our church, although I think the nature of my church and its belief lends itself to a greater percentage of folks dressing up than most other places.

I dress-up as a matter of personal conviction. I would do so at your church or my church. I am friendly to the guy in shorts. I hope you will be friendly if I wear a tie.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I think it all comes down to the culture of the church you are attending. If the church is in a big city, people will tend to expect people to dress up for church. If the service is extremely traditional, people will expect those attending to dress up more than maybe if the service is a little more contemporary. If the service is held in an elaborate sanctuary, then you will be expected to dress up for that probably more than at other places.

Two of my cousins (who are sisters) got married in the National Cathedral in Washington D.C. I was expected to wear evening dresses for both of those weddings, and the men were expected to wear black tie to the weddings and receptions. If I wore the same outfit I wore to those weddings to most any other wedding, I would be over dressed.

I used to attend two services at two different churches -- one was the church I grew up in, and the other was a non-denominational church. I would dress for the church I grew up in (although I tend to dress up more than most people who attend church there. Most women tend to wear nice pants with a nice top. I usually wear skirts in nice weather.) I ended up being over dressed for the non-denominational church, and people would judge me a bit for that. Everyone at the non-denomination church would wear jeans and a t-shirt. For them, dressing up was seen as being too religious, or trying to please people instead of God. Because I saw that my dress was bothering them, I started changing my clothes before attending the non-denominational service.

In some churches, the people don't want to dress up because they don't want other people to perceive them as being above them. Do you know what I mean? Some poorer people view those who do dress up as being above them, and people they cannot relate to. Maybe even viewing those who dress nicely as lording it over those who are not as well to do.

If that is honestly how poorer/less well to do people view those who dress nicely, then perhaps it is better to not dress up as much in church. Again, this is going to depend on the culture within the community that your church is a part of.

If, on the other hand, the church you attend is in a wealthy part of your community, then it's probably best to dress up more for church because the people attending will view it as a respect for God issue. It's culturally expected.

I don't think how we dress should be a barrier to other people worshiping God.

We also need to be careful how we react to those who don't dress how we think that they should. One time there was a guy who came to my church who rode a motorcycle. He wore a leather jacket to church. People made comments about his attire within his hearing range. He decided to never attend our church again. Someone from the church knew this man and let us know what happened. This happened quite a number of years ago, so I'm not sure people would necessarily react the same way now...but who knows.

We had a reputation in the community for being a rich church that was snooty towards poor people. The above incident was not an isolated incident, and it has taken our church a long time to build up our reputation again among the community.

And, again, the older generation tends to dress up more than younger generations -- but that is to everything -- not just at church. There has been a gradual cultural shift.

I think people should dress in a way that they believe is pleasing to God, and at the same time, take into consideration the culture and the values of the people in your community. Examine your own heart, and please seek to please God.

Upvote 0