USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This question is based mainly by comparing it with Hebrew.

Even though Greek was the main language used in the Christian world in the age of the Apostles and the Early Church, the language of the New Testament, and the Septuagint, a lot of people still use Hebrew. I don't see anyone calling Jesus "Iesous" like they call him Yeshua, even those guys say it is evil to say it in that language :doh:
I don't see anyone calling God "Theos" or "Kyrios" neither.

So, I am curious why that preference of Hebrew, which wasn't even spoken as a native language but Arameic

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
...I don't see anyone calling Jesus "Iesous"
...I don't see anyone calling God "Theos" or "Kyrios" neither.
I take it that you have never been in a Greek church.
;)

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think what you're noticing is true with a certain type of Christian who is maybe more enamored with the Jewish culture than those of Christians. It's a strange phenomenon, these "Messianic Jews" or whatever they call themselves. I don't mean that as a slur against any who identify as such, as I've had plenty of civil, friendly conversations with people who identify as that here on CF, but it's an interesting approach to history, if nothing else. I've heard one EO priest (can't remember who) assess it by saying that this phenomenon is what happens when you have Christians that want to have some sense of historical rootedness to their worship and theology, but since they confine themselves to a very particular reading of the scriptures only, in isolation from the fathers who are our witness as to what the early Christian community was actually like, they can only see and hence identify with the Jewish culture. It's almost as though the Greeks, Aramaeans, etc. don't really exist, or are secondary to the Hebrews. This is all ahistorical, of course, but I get a sense that he is right about the mindset that devalues Greek and uplifts Hebrew.

In my communion, of course ,we are fine with using Greek and Classical Syriac (a descendant of Aramaic, spreading out from Edessa in the kingdom of King Abgar V, the first kingdom to accept Christianity, in the first century). Coptic has so much Greek in it that some linguists classify it as a mixed language of Greek and Egyptian parentage. I'm fine with that. We're all fine with that. To this day, something like 10% of the 'Coptic' hymnody is actually Greek, though I'm told that the Egyptians have a weird pronunciation of it relative to the Greeks.

I don't think Egypt would've taken to Christianity as it did had it not passed through the medium of Greek, which had long been the language of prestige among the elite at Alexandria, where St. Mark first preached. Our Church, like our liturgical language, is definitely of mixed Greek and Egyptian heritage, though we may be somewhat unique in that. I don't know how much Greek the Syriacs preserved, and I'm told that most classical Armenian religious vocabulary comes from Syriac, which is the language the Armenians worshiped in before St. Mesrob Mashtots invented their alphabet which enabled them to translate the liturgy and the scriptures into their own language, in the beginning of the fifth century.

"Asomen to Kyrio" (see, there it is! We definitely use this word :D), one of the Greek hymns of the Coptic Orthodox Church, in Coptic, Greek, and Arabic prayed by head cantor Ibrahim Ayad and chorus.

We love Greek. It's also what all the deacon's replies will usually be in, harkening back to the time when Copts and Greeks worshiped together in one church.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're welcome

You know, I actually wanted to start doing that just for fun and see the reaction of people.

"You shall agape the Kyrios your Theos with all of your heart, and with..."

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You know, I actually wanted to start doing that just for fun and see the reaction of people.

"You shall agape the Kyrios your Theos with all of your heart, and with..."
Will you accept Iesous Christos the son of Theos as your Kyrios and Savior?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ANYTHING OR ANYONE THINKING THEY ARE GREATER THAN GOD WILL FALL!!,,,ALL THE MYTHS LEGENDS WERE ALL OF SATAN,,TAKEN ON BY MAN,,,LATER DESTROYED OR MOVED AWAY FROM GODS GRACE,,ISRAEL THE ONLY ONE STANDING AND GOING TODAY ALL OTHERS DUST,,LOTS OF DUST,,
I CAN HEAR YOU! DON'T YELL!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
My daughter attended an Orthodox church in the neighborhood and didn't understand what was said but she enjoyed the service. Whereas, many synagogues have transliterated materials or I can bring my own Siddur. Access is another factor. I have many options for worship. I'm not restricted to a venue that converses in Hebrew alone. Engaging with the culture is much easier. It's all around me. I don't need to travel to find others like myself.

As for the Messianic Jews, there are several 'Hebraic' groups which fall under that description who may use the site.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Will you accept Iesous Christos the son of Theos as your Kyrios and Savior?

Shouldn't it be some correctly conjugated form of "Sotir", not "Savior"? :D

I only know it via the Coptic, where it is in stock phrases, like when we call St. Bishoy "Pimenrit ente Pensotir enagathos" (the beloved of our good Savior). I don't know the correct conjugation in Greek because Coptic conjugates its words differently (that's what all the pe-, ti-, ni-, etc. affixes that you see on Greek words in Coptic are about; we conjugate them like they were Coptic words even when the 'base' word is foreign, and Coptic loves its articles!).

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Even though Greek was the main language used in the Christian world in the age of the Apostles and the Early Church, the language of the New Testament, and the Septuagint, a lot of people still use Hebrew. I don't see anyone calling Jesus "Iesous" like they call him Yeshua, even those guys say it is evil to say it in that language :doh:

So, I am curious why that preference of Hebrew, which wasn't even spoken as a native language but Arameic
In the Byzantine spiritual tradition, some acclamations, such as Kyrie eleison, or Agios o Theos, are sung in Greek all the time.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's an interesting question, especially the part about the Holy Name. I have run into a few people who call Jesus Yeshua, even though we aren't 100% sure what his Hebrew, or possibly Aramaic, name was. I sometimes use the term Adonai instead of saying the tetragramaton, but I feel like that's different.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
In the Byzantine spiritual tradition, some acclamations, such as Kyrie eleison, or Agios o Theos, are sung in Greek all the time.
While it's not universally used, the Kyrie is the only part of the Western liturgy that is still in Greek.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Because for almost 2000 years there have been "Judaizers."

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Shouldn't it be some correctly conjugated form of "Sotir", not "Savior"?

The "fish" acronym (ΙΧΘΥΣ = IChThUS) is Iēsous Christos Theou (h)Uios Sōtēr.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
, I am curious why that preference of Hebrew, which wasn't even spoken as a native language but Arameic
I think the question is strongly related to, and probably derivative of, the preference of the Masoretic text over the Septuagint in the KJV. Most people assume the Masoretic will be more accurate than the Greek translation, but they don't factor in that most of the original Hebrew text was lost and the task of reconstructing it wasn't completed until circa 1000AD, by Jewish scholars whose impartiality on certain passages critical to Christianity has been questioned. The Pentateuch of the Masoretic is, IIRC, original, though, so it does give us a firm basis for many of the names of God. So it seems natural to trace some of the NT names back to their OT forebears. I think the Hebrew Roots movement and the burgeoning numbers of Messianic Jewish believers also strengthen the phenomenon.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My daughter attended an Orthodox church in the neighborhood and didn't understand what was said but she enjoyed the service. Whereas, many synagogues have transliterated materials or I can bring my own Siddur. Access is another factor. I have many options for worship. I'm not restricted to a venue that converses in Hebrew alone. Engaging with the culture is much easier. It's all around me. I don't need to travel to find others like myself.

As for the Messianic Jews, there are several 'Hebraic' groups which fall under that description who may use the site.
Did she ask for a book with translation?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's an interesting question, especially the part about the Holy Name. I have run into a few people who call Jesus Yeshua, even though we aren't 100% sure what his Hebrew, or possibly Aramaic, name was. I sometimes use the term Adonai instead of saying the tetragramaton, but I feel like that's different.
Some use it when talking to other Jews which I find it fine, but it can get a little annoying when doing it with other Gentiles. Especially since it involves demonization of the English name Jesus.

Upvote 0