Why is God the head of Jesus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwiekat

Aug 25, 2004
✟348.00
Faith
Baptist
But I want you to know that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of the woman, and God is the head of Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:3).

I understand that when Jesus was a human He was submissive to God, but then He ascended and was glorified. Was Paul referring to just His human nature and what He did during the time He was on earth? If so, why did he speak in present tense saying that God is still the head of Christ?

St. Worm2

May 15, 2004
✟9,271.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
kiwiekat said:
But I want you to know that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of the woman, and God is the head of Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:3).

I understand that when Jesus was a human He was submissive to God, but then He ascended and was glorified. Was Paul referring to just His human nature and what He did during the time He was on earth? If so, why did he speak in present tense saying that God is still the head of Christ?

Hey Kiwie, I think Paul speaks this way because, either as the 'Son' prior to His incarnation, or as the 'God/man' following it, Jesus has always been subject to the Father in the way that was eternally designed for Him. It's not about Jesus' "essence" that Paul writes (since His divine attributes are, were, and always will be co-equal to the Father's), rather, Jesus is subordinate to His Father in the area of function or ministry. Just as husband and wife are equal in essence but .. by divine ordinance .. are given different roles to fulfill in their marriage, so it is within the Godhead.

Finally, as to your question about whether or not Paul was referring to Jesus' human nature and His time on this Earth only, read what this verse has to say about the very end of this Age:

"When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all." (1 Corinthians 15:28)

This subject is certainly confusing (mostly because anything that involves the Godhead is not something we can truly and fully comprehend), but I hope it's been a little helpful. If not, tell me, and I'll try again.

Blessings to you in Christ,
David

Upvote 0

kiwiekat

Aug 25, 2004
✟348.00
Faith
Baptist
So even though Jesus is God Himself, He does take the submissive role right? I know that it doesn't make Jesus lesser, but a lot of people think that the one who gets to be the head or leader is better...how do I know this is not true with God? Also, does the Holy Spirit submit to both the Father and Jesus? Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

St. Worm2

May 15, 2004
✟9,271.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
kiwiekat said:
I know they are all equal, but they have different roles, right? And Jesus' role is more submissive, that's why God is the head of Jesus...but why? I mean it seems like the one who gets the leader role is better, but it's not so with God...the question is, how would I support that idea if it is true?

Kiwie, the reason there's always perfect harmony in the Godhead is simple, God doesn't sin. And the thought that the leader role is "better" is something that only sinful creatures could conceive of. We certainly see this in the great sin of Satan, yes! He wished to usurp the power, authority, and office of God and you know the result of that. But that kind of thinking does not dwell within the mind or the nature of God.

Not to keep harping on the marriage example, but in a traditional nuclear family, do you see the woman's role as wife and stay at home mom as somehow less important than the husband's who goes to work? Would you classify his role in the family as "better"?

Or think of another example, like a Deacon board. Is the role of Head Deacon "better" somehow than the role of Deacon of Worship, or Deacon of Education, etc.? It may, in fact, be so for you, if that's what your calling is. But if your calling is to be in the role of, let's say, Deaconess of Missions, yet you are constantly trying to assume the role of Head Deacon which rightly belongs to another, know that these kind of thoughts most often come from envy, jealousy, and/or our prideful lust for power, not from the mind or heart of God (or from the mind or heart of one who chooses to walk in righteousness). Take what St. John tells us for example:

"Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever." (1 John 2:15-17)

Also, where the Book of Hebrews clearly defines Jesus as being God Himself, it also gives us a clear picture of part of Christ's nature and heart concerning His relationship to His Father. For example:

"Of the Son God says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the righteous scepter is the scepter of His kingdom. “You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your companions (Hebrews 1:8-9)

But then Jesus speaking in Hebrews 10 says:

“Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come (in the scroll of the book it is written of Me) to do Your will, O God.’ ” (Hebrews 10:7)

Or in the Garden of Gethsemane:

"Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.” (Luke 22:42)

So whether on Earth as the God-man, or in Heaven as the Son (1 Cor. 15:28), Jesus will always subject Himself to the rule of His Father, the leader among equals in the Godhead, and remain in the position and ministry that is His to possess and care for. His nature (which is purely righteous) will allow for nothing less, yes!?

Hope that helps a bit.(?) You know, something you might want to get your hands on and read (or re-read) is C. S. Lewis' little book called "Mere Christianity". It may help you put this issue (and others) to rest. See especially Chpt 8 of Book 3 (this one little book is divided as four books in one) called "The Great Sin" (which is all about "Pride").

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - as to your other question, yes, the HS does appear to subject Himself to both the will of the Father and of the Son (although our Eastern/Russian Orthodox brothers might disagree :) ... read about the "Filioque" and the "great schism". But that's definitely for a different thread!!

Reactions: johan777
Upvote 0

Safe Eagle

Mar 10, 2005
Denver
✟154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's an interesting story attributed to Saint Augustine. He was walking along the beach meditating upon the Trinity. Trying to figure it out. He came across a little boy who was throwing sand into the water. Saint Augustine asked the little boy "What are you doing?" the little boy responded, "I'm filling up the ocean." Saint Augustine responded," You'll never be able to do that." And just then the little boy revealed himself as an angel from God and said,"And you'll never in this life,fully understand the Holy Trinity." The doctrine of the Trinity is what we call a mystery of our faith. We can make certain analogies like fire. It has light, color and heat but it is one. And acts as one in all that it does. But to fully know, the light of the after-life awaits.:clap:

Upvote 0

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
kiwiekat said:

Jesus never stopped being human once he became human (1 Timothy 2:5).
Understand I am not at all saying he is just human for he is God in human flesh (Philippians 2:6-8). But he never left his body after his resurrection. In fact there is a man presently sitting on the throne of God this very hour!

When Jesus left the preincarnate state of his existence he ceased to be exactly like anyone else. He is the bridge between God and man being both God and man and neither God or man are like him. We will be like him in our resurrection (that is we will be resurrected like he is 1 John 3:2), but no way are we going to be incarnate little gods as the Mormons and the TBN founders would have you believe:

Isaiah 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. 11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

So our likeness to him is in his resurrection only.

This human above humans God incarnate is in eternal submission to the Father in his permanent state of existence whereas before there was no submitting one to another in the Godhead. It was not necessary. But then came man and sin through man...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.