Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
I still have burning questions continued from my intro thread. Although some of questions are somewhat answered i want to get more perspectives. A member suggests that i post here as threads in this forum tend to get more views. So here goes my friends.

1. Why Christianity? Even religion has their own miracles.
  • Thaipusam (Hinduism) - extreme piercing like they have no pain
  • Taoism - God possessing their body. E.g. Monkey god possess their body and suddenly they can climb lamp posts, knife cut their skin etc. and they have no pain.
  • Buddhism - fortune telling monks (which i have experienced myself as stated in my intro thread)
  • Islam - need no explanation? Look at the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia (Mecca) and Ramadan, where muslim fast and not eat.
So why Christianity? Why is jesus the only god?

2. Big Bang but the world is too perfect or complicated to be universally ordered - i.e. God made things like this and we humans have no scientific explanation?

• What if it really is a big coincidence that big bang created life through massive atoms exploding everywhere. We humans are just lucky to get the better ones (mixture of atoms [?]). The universe is empty from the start anyway, a big void (no god no nothing) and this once in a billion years (?) big bang happened and life started. We all know how big the universe is, we can probably never finish exploring it. This atom creation of living things is so rare that only 1 planet (earth) has life on it (Not because of god, but just a very huge lottery winner out of the whole universe from the big bang. Probably explains why no one (astronauts etc.) can't find life anywhere else and the phrase "We're all stardust" came about.
Edit: I added this article - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-would-it-take-to-prove-the-resurrection/

3. All the words in the bible are just philosophically phrased like a motivational guide for living and Jesus created god to bind us to believing his words. The worship songs are just motivational for people who needs motivation or guidance toward better living and god is an excuse to imagine a father watching over us. Why is this not true? Sounds offending but trust me, it's not my intention. Rather, it leads toward my journey in having much stronger faith.

Thank you for reading. Hopefully I can have some or all of these doubts answered. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ananda

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,299.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Donkky12

True Christianity (that is, the whole Bible followed) is not a religion really. But a citizenship.

There is a Kingdom coming very soon and we have the time now to choose whether or not we want to be citizens when it arrives. If we choose to be so, we should live our lives according to the values of that Kingdom.

When that Kingdom arrives, some will be ready and some will not.

Christianity has been thrown until the title "religion" in an attempt to belittle it, classify and codify it. But this is not a path for someone to take who just needs "fortune, luck and peace" as some religions propse they offer. Rather, it's about truth. Truth of the earth, life, mankind, our Creator, our past and our future.

I hope some of that makes sense.

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0

Donkky12

May 30, 2020
Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Donkky12

True Christianity (that is, the whole Bible followed) is not a religion really. But a citizenship.

There is a Kingdom coming very soon and we have the time now to choose whether or not we want to be citizens when it arrives. If we choose to be so, we should live our lives according to the values of that Kingdom.

When that Kingdom arrives, some will be ready and some will not.

Christianity has been thrown until the title "religion" in an attempt to belittle it, classify and codify it. But this is not a path for someone to take who just needs "fortune, luck and peace" as some religions propse they offer. Rather, it's about truth. Truth of the earth, life, mankind, our Creator, our past and our future.

I hope some of that makes sense.

Love & Shalom

Is the kingdom you're referring to, heaven? What if the kingdom never comes or in other words doesn't exist? How do you know it does exist?

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟95,299.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the kingdom you're referring to, heaven? What if the kingdom never comes or in other words doesn't exist? How do you know it does exist?

Hey there,

The Kingdom is not exactly heaven. It is a huge city called New Jerusalem and in it, the Messiah will reign and rule over all the nations in the world.

At the sight of this spectacle, many of the world will assume the alien mothership of doom has arrived! Think of how we are being conditioned by our media. They will even take arms against the Messiah and the City (nuclear activity seems likely and suggested). When they see thwy are unsuccessful and many have fallen by His power. Then the nations will flood to New Jerusalem to learn about His ways and the truth.

It's the hope of the Christian that they will be cou ted to be worthy to go straight to that city when it arrives and be let in.

In terms of whether or not that will happen, I'm absolutely certain it will, just as sure as you know a pregnant woman will give birth.

The Bible records many events of world hisyory before they happen (prophecy) down to very specific details. Everything with the Bible has happened according to ehat it prophesied so far and science, as much has it tries to refute its claims, have never managed to successfully prove anything to the contrary. In fact, science is catching up to many truths detailed in the Bible and worldwide archaeology bares witness to it in like manner.

I'm so certain of it that I, and many like me, may be called to give up our lives literally as we stand in our beliefs - just like the many times in history for history repeats itself. Why would we do that if it were for fuzzy feelings, uncertainty and questions in our heart?

Great questions my friend. Keep difging for the truth!

Love & Shalom

• Friendly
Reactions: Donkky12
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I still have burning questions continued from my intro thread. Although some of questions are somewhat answered i want to get more perspectives. A member suggests that i post here as threads in this forum tend to get more views. So here goes my friends.

• Taoism - God possessing their body. E.g. Monkey god possess their body and suddenly they can climb lamp posts, knife cut their skin etc. and they have no pain.
  • Buddhism - fortune telling monks (which i have experienced myself as stated in my intro thread)
  • Islam - need no explanation? Look at the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia (Mecca) and Ramadan, where muslim fast and not eat.

2. Big Bang but the world is too perfect or complicated to be universally ordered - i.e. God made things like this and we humans have no scientific explanation?

• What if it really is a big coincidence that big bang created life through massive atoms exploding everywhere. We humans are just lucky to get the better ones (mixture of atoms [?]). The universe is empty from the start anyway, a big void (no god no nothing) and this once in a billion years (?) big bang happened and life started. We all know how big the universe is, we can probably never finish exploring it. This atom creation of living things is so rare that only 1 planet (earth) has life on it (Not because of god, but just a very huge lottery winner out of the whole universe from the big bang. Probably explains why no one (astronauts etc.) can't find life anywhere else and the phrase "We're all stardust" came about.
3. All the words in the bible are just philosophically phrased like a motivational guide for living and Jesus created god to bind us to believing his words. The worship songs are just motivational for people who needs motivation or guidance toward better living and god is an excuse to imagine a father watching over us. Why is this not true? Sounds offending but trust me, it's not my intention. Rather, it leads toward my journey in having much stronger faith.

Thank you for reading. Hopefully I can have some or all of these doubts answered. :)

Man you would be much better off exploring each of these 3 questions by themselves in their own separate thread, since these are very involved questions and answering them is going to take an Opus long scroller post, or mutiple posts.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is a mystery. No matter how much we want to define, understand or explain we will never be able to fully describe God. Christ, Jesus of Nazareth, taught us to relate to God and each other with a realization that love has the primary place. Not much else really seems to matter, not miracles, not philosophy or even theology. I think Christianity, unlike any other religion, offers an intimate relationship with the mystery of God as a a person. Not a concept, not an abastraction, not some kind of transcendent inaccessible superpower, but as parent and friend.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I wouldn't call most of these things "miracles." Certainly not in the Christian sense of a miracle being done in order to have some meaningful, loving, and/or instructional outcome. Not the carnival side-show gimmicks that predominate in the list you gave us.

Because he showed it to be so. You are not asked to believe for no reason whatsoever or because our story sounds interesting. The other religions simply stipulate that some fictional deity is real--Krishna, Thor, whoever. Or like Buddhism and other of the Far Eastern religions which don't even postulate that there is a Supreme Being. They are called religions but are more like lifestyles or moral disciplines.

The Big Bang is not a Christian teaching. And no faith has a "scientific explanation" because science has not explained how all that exists came into existence.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: (Rom 1:4)
No other 'religious' founder rose from the dead, their tomb is full and not empty.

Intelligence does not come from random events, the more society adheres to a non-intelligent beginning, the more it conforms to that image.

All the words in the bible are just philosophically phrased like a motivational guide for living and Jesus created god to bind us to believing his words. The worship songs are just motivational for people who needs motivation or guidance toward better living and god is an excuse to imagine a father watching over us. Why is this not true?
Yes, they would be 'just words' if the giver of those words were from man. But because their Source is LIFE Himself, they are able to make the intended change when believed. Even if not believed, God is able to bring about the tragic results of unbelief.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi D12. I agree that you've asked some compelling questions. I can't think of anything more important to be asking, because how you answer these kinds of questions will determine the foundation on which you build your life. And the solid foundation will stand while the shifting sands will not. Yes, keep seeking.

I highly encourage you to read the Bible for yourself. The answers are there. I hope you find, as I found, that this is too important a search to trust the answers to any other human or group. Use us all as resources, but dig it out for yourself and then act on it. Best to you!

Upvote 0

Donkky12

May 30, 2020
Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't call most of these things "miracles." Certainly not in the Christian sense of a miracle being done in order to have some meaningful, loving, and/or instructional outcome. Not the carnival side-show gimmicks that predominate in the list you gave us.

Fasting from Ramadan is meaningful/loving according to islamic beliefs Fasting is a time of spiritual reflection, self-improvement, and heightened devotion and worship. Muslims believe that Ramadan teaches them to practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate, thus encouraging actions of generosity and compulsory charity.

Could these be categorized as carnival side-show as well? -

Christian devotees in the Philippines are nailed to the cross

“I believe these bottles of anointing oil, coupled with your effective, fervent prayer will avail much in bringing healing & deliverance!” - quoted from a church giving out anointed oil that says that the oil provides healing.

Because he showed it to be so. You are not asked to believe for no reason whatsoever or because our story sounds interesting. The other religions simply stipulate that some fictional deity is real--Krishna, Thor, whoever. Or like Buddhism and other of the Far Eastern religions which don't even postulate that there is a Supreme Being. They are called religions but are more like lifestyles or moral disciplines.

I agree that some religions are more like lifestyles/moral discipline. Except for Islam? I mean they do believe in Allah to a massive extent. Look at the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. So why Christianity believing in jesus and not believing in Allah (Who created the world and sent prophets?) tbh, i have limited knowledge about the latter but there must be a reasons why there a millions of muslims.

The Big Bang is not a Christian teaching. And no faith has a "scientific explanation" because science has not explained how all that exists came into existence.
This is something for me to think about :blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Donkky12

May 30, 2020
Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: (Rom 1:4)
No other 'religious' founder rose from the dead, their tomb is full and not empty.

That's honestly an insufficient depth to make someone grow in faith? That's what is written, but how much truth there is or is it just another way of binding readers of the bible to Christianity? But fair enough, only Jesus rose from the dead amongst all other religions.

Intelligence does not come from random events, the more society adheres to a non-intelligent beginning, the more it conforms to that image.

The evolution of human intelligence is closely tied to the evolution of the human brain and to the origin of language. The timeline of human evolution spans approximately 7 million years, from the separation of the genus Pan until the emergence of behavioral modernity by 50,000 years ago. The first 3 million years of this timeline concern Sahelanthropus, the following 2 million concern Australopithecus and the final 2 million span the history of the genus Homo in the Paleolithic era.

Many traits of human intelligence, such as empathy, theory of mind, mourning, ritual, and the use of symbols and tools, are apparent in great apes although in less sophisticated forms than found in humans, such as great ape language. - quoted from wiki but can be googled to find more on the evolution of intelligence. 7 million years of development can explain the the complexity of intelligence (Imagine working on a project for 7 million years - how much could you actually achieve :flushed:)

Yes, they would be 'just words' if the giver of those words were from man. But because their Source is LIFE Himself, they are able to make the intended change when believed. Even if not believed, God is able to bring about the tragic results of unbelief.

Tragic results because of unbelief? Why is god not unforgiving to those who are "lost?" How do you know it is given by LIFE himself, these are from his mouth and the bible or should i say, Christian invention?.

I really want to believe...hopefully i get closer to my answers. Thank you for your response thus far btw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Donkky12

May 30, 2020
Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Hi D12. I agree that you've asked some compelling questions. I can't think of anything more important to be asking, because how you answer these kinds of questions will determine the foundation on which you build your life. And the solid foundation will stand while the shifting sands will not. Yes, keep seeking.

I highly encourage you to read the Bible for yourself. The answers are there. I hope you find, as I found, that this is too important a search to trust the answers to any other human or group. Use us all as resources, but dig it out for yourself and then act on it. Best to you!

Thank you :). I will continue to pursue this journey of mine.

Reactions: Greengardener
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fasting from Ramadan is meaningful/loving according to islamic beliefs Fasting is a time of spiritual reflection, self-improvement, and heightened devotion and worship. Muslims believe that Ramadan teaches them to practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate, thus encouraging actions of generosity and compulsory charity.
What's the point you are making with this? Yes, all religions do generally advocate charity, religious devotionals, and so forth.

Could these be categorized as carnival side-show as well?
I didn't say that they were. But, by the way, they also are not miracles.

I agree that some religions are more like lifestyles/moral discipline. Except for Islam?
Perhaps I've misunderstood the purpose of your thread. Is it that you want us to rebut Islam in particular or compare Christianity with Islam?

I mean they do believe in Allah to a massive extent. Look at the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. So why Christianity believing in jesus and not believing in Allah (Who created the world and sent prophets?) tbh, i have limited knowledge about the latter but there must be a reasons why there a millions of muslims.

Upvote 0

Donkky12

May 30, 2020
Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
What's the point you are making with this? Yes, all religions do generally advocate charity, religious devotionals, and so forth.

I didn't say that they were. But, by the way, they also are not miracles.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the purpose of your thread. Is it that you want us to rebut Islam in particular or compare Christianity with Islam?

Sorry if i made you confused. My purpose of the thread is to regain my faith in christ by finding a stronger/compelling reason that he is what he is, the son of God. And yeah, all religions almost advocate the same thing, so why should i believe in christ than let's say Allah or other religions except that jesus apparently resurrected and the others did not. I'm not muslim btw but perhaps, islam practices is the closest thing to christianity that's why i'm comparing them often in this thread. Honestly, among every religion, Christianity is the closest thing I can believe but I just want to know/feel, jesus is actually son of god. I don't doubt his existence on earth but i'm doubting that all the words etc. are just his invention or should i say, christian invention.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's honestly an insufficient depth to make someone grow in faith? That's what is written, but how much truth there is or is it just another way of binding readers of the bible to Christianity? But fair enough, only Jesus rose from the dead amongst all other religions.

The evolution of human intelligence is closely tied to the evolution of the human brain and to the origin of language. The timeline of human evolution spans approximately 7 million years, from the separation of the genus Pan until the emergence of behavioral modernity by 50,000 years ago. The first 3 million years of this timeline concern Sahelanthropus, the following 2 million concern Australopithecus and the final 2 million span the history of the genus Homo in the Paleolithic era.

Many traits of human intelligence, such as empathy, theory of mind, mourning, ritual, and the use of symbols and tools, are apparent in great apes although in less sophisticated forms than found in humans, such as great ape language. - quoted from wiki but can be googled to find more on the evolution of intelligence. 7 million years of development can explain the the complexity of intelligence (Imagine working on a project for 7 million years - how much could you actually achieve :flushed:)

Tragic results because of unbelief? Why is god not unforgiving to those who are "lost?" How do you know it is given by LIFE himself, these are from his mouth and the bible or should i say, Christian invention?.

I really want to believe...hopefully i get closer to my answers. Thank you for your response thus far btw.
I thought this was "Exploring Christianity" (with a willingness to know about) rather than "Challenging Christianity".
I could give answers to your objections, but debate is not what I am here for. I am best at helping struggling Christians get grounded in the faith and for unbelievers seriously seeking help in their struggle to believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Donkky12

May 30, 2020
Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
I thought this was "Exploring Christianity" (with a willingness to know about) rather than "Challenging Christianity".
I could give answers to your objections, but debate is not what I am here for. I am best at helping struggling Christians get grounded in the faith and for unbelievers seriously seeking help in their struggle to believe.

I am seriously seeking help to believe, but I can’t just believe blindly. That’s why I asked what I didn’t know or can’t see, that you know and can see.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am seriously seeking help to believe, but I can’t just believe blindly. That’s why I asked what I didn’t know or can’t see, that you know and can see.
Well the first step to believing is acknowledging your lost and sinful state before God.Sometimes it takes the smashing of our pride before we come into a position to receive Him. Our intellect won't cut it, otherwise only the 'intelligentsia' would be saved. Same goes for the rich, the noble, the pop tart etc.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is jesus the only god

Jesus is the only God that says, you don't do anything I have done it all for you!
All other gods say do this, this and this and you may achieve?

What if it really is a big coincidence that big bang created life

Is it reasonable to believe that an almost unlimited number of coincidences caused everything to be or that the fantastically complex universe is the result of a deliberate designed act of creation?

You pays your money and takes your choice.

the words in the bible are just philosophically phrased like a motivational guide for living and Jesus created god to bind us to believing his words.

Yes a great motivated, All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

You are saved by grace, it is the gift of God so that no one can boast.

All like Sheep have gone astray.

There is none who are rightous.

Feeling motivated yet, the Bible makes one thing clear, we are all sinners destined for hell unless we accept a gift of salvation, some thing we do not deserve, cannot earn and have to be humble enough to receive it.

Upvote 0

Donkky12

May 30, 2020
Melbourne
✟17,001.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Is it reasonable to believe that an almost unlimited number of coincidences caused everything to be or that the fantastically complex universe is the result of a deliberate designed act of creation?

I have no idea but it seems probable earth is a perfect coincidence from the Big Bang as it seems earth is the only planet that has living things actually on it out of the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets out there. As I heard a quote somewhere before "We're all stardust".

With at least 200 billion galaxies out there (and possibly even more), we're very likely talking about a Universe filled with around 1024 planets, or, for those of you who like it written out, around 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe.

Feeling motivated yet, the Bible makes one thing clear, we are all sinners destined for hell unless we accept a gift of salvation, some thing we do not deserve, cannot earn and have to be humble enough to receive it.

Sorry, obviously i'm not well-versed with the bible. Why do we all born as sinners or destined for hell? I mean, i came into this world as an innocent human but i'm doomed right from the start unless i seek salvation. What is the purpose of being born if this is, indeed, true?

Thank you for your response. I genuinely pray for stronger faith...

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
seems probable earth is a perfect coincidence
There are those who are convinced that they will win the lottery. But they don't, yet next week they'll buy another ticket.
Coincidence is not an adequate explanation.

came into this world as an innocent human

I don't know if you have children, but have you ever heard parents teaching their little darlings to tell lies, to cheat, to be spiteful etc
It is amazing how much effort is put into training little darlings to behave, to be good.

What relevance does this have?

We are all contaminated by Adams rebellion we naturally reject the good and seek what is not good.

You know this in yourself that it is an effort to seek God.

May I encourage you to check out the Christianity explored web site for a church in your area running this course and sign up.
It will give you the opertunity to discuss Christian issues in a neutral place, with no commitment about attending a church and give you a chance to decide whether it might be worth trying that church.

Upvote 0