Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whenever I debate atheists over the existence of God I think I do a pretty decent job, especially when we get on the subject of the creation of the Universe which I have read extensively about. However, I have to admit that I struggle when I debate people on why Christianity is better than the other major world religions. Some of that may be because I don't know enough about them. I have a few points to make but I always walk away from the debate feeling like I didn't make a good enough case. Please help me by telling me what you do in that situation. Also, if you know of any books that could help I would appreciate recommendations. I work with very well educated folks and desperately want to improve my skills in relaying to them why Christianity is better than the others. I would like to gather lots of good talking points to make the case. Even if you only take time to post your favorite single best reason I would appreciate it. Not only would it help me but it May help other readers on this thread in leading people to Christ. Thanks!

mathinspiration

Nov 15, 2013
✟30,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
You have to remember that some people don't believe he is a god or in some cases, they believe he is a god, then there must be other gods as well like Muslims. Some Native American tribes have problems with Jesus' resurrection because if he can rise from the dead so can the witches.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because Jesus is the only one who has defeated death and all His believers shall inherit everlasting life, resurrected from death with new bodies.
1 Thes 4:16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

Other teachers of religions are just coming around for a short while and then died forever.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whenever I debate atheists over the existence of God I think I do a pretty decent job, especially when we get on the subject of the creation of the Universe which I have read extensively about. However, I have to admit that I struggle when I debate people on why Christianity is better than the other major world religions

There is no other religion on this planet where the Creator sacrificed His life for the sins of His creation inorder to buy them back with His own blood. There is no greater love than that and that makes christianity superior than all the other faiths. All other religions are works based whereas in christianity we cannot earn our salvation through our good works. We were purchased with a price.

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
However, I have to admit that I struggle when I debate people on why Christianity is better than the other major world religions.
Please help me by telling me what you do in that situation. Also, if you know of any books that could help.
Because it is true. Jesus is the truth.
The best book of resource is your Bible or rather New Testament.
Get a biro or two or yellow and pink markers and highlight the
core principles about calling sinners to repentance,
salvation,
atonement and forgiveness of sins - Calvary
resurrection from the tomb -Mohammed and Buddha did not do this
only Jesus conquered death
the promise of the Holy Spirit the Comforter and the Spirit of truth
a relationship with God that is real
miracles, healings, answered prayer
hope for life going into the eternities as opposed to death

Your testimony of how you came to the Lord,
your baptism of water and the Spirit
your life afterwards

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Whenever I debate atheists over the existence of God I think I do a pretty decent job, especially when we get on the subject of the creation of the Universe which I have read extensively about. However, I have to admit that I struggle when I debate people on why Christianity is better than the other major world religions. Some of that may be because I don't know enough about them. I have a few points to make but I always walk away from the debate feeling like I didn't make a good enough case. Please help me by telling me what you do in that situation. Also, if you know of any books that could help I would appreciate recommendations. I work with very well educated folks and desperately want to improve my skills in relaying to them why Christianity is better than the others. I would like to gather lots of good talking points to make the case. Even if you only take time to post your favorite single best reason I would appreciate it. Not only would it help me but it May help other readers on this thread in leading people to Christ. Thanks!

Hi

One really useful book is "Jesus Among Other Gods" by Ravi Zacharaias. I would highly recommend it.

There is something else to consider. "Better" is a subjective term. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that atheism is right. Christianity is better in the sense that it gives meaning, but atheism would be better because it's true, however uncomfortable it would be. Does that make sense?

The other thing is that it's hard to be an expert in all religions, so I would suggest it's better to focus on Jesus and why he is the way. For me it's all to do with the claims of Jesus (his claim to be God, whether he rose from the dead etc). I only tend to keep up to date with ones I am likely to come into contact with - atheism, Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. I am also starting to research psychics and mediums as I'm encountering more people who believe in this or believe that they are psychic.

Finally - the most powerful testimony you can give is your own. Your encounter with God, what He has (and is) doing in your life is powerful. It's yours, and is also something people cannot argue with.

I hope this helps

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have to admit that I struggle when I debate people on why Christianity is better than the other major world religions

The main point about Christianity is that salvation etc is not earnt or deserved but given as a free gift.
All other religeons require the believer to earn or deserve the reward.

May I suggest you read lee strobels 'the case for Christ'
start reading the coldcasechristianity web site and reasonablefaith web site.

Reactions: DW1980
Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Christianity is the one true faith because we're the only religion with a savior. No other religions have Christ.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whenever I debate atheists over the existence of God I think I do a pretty decent job, especially when we get on the subject of the creation of the Universe which I have read extensively about. However, I have to admit that I struggle when I debate people on why Christianity is better than the other major world religions.

I've got you covered there. God answers prayers if you get them from God.
Answered Prayer - Steps 1, 2, 3 | Christian Forums

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galaxy Hunter

Jan 11, 2018
Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for these responses so far. I greatly appreciate them. This has been an area where I have been lacking the most when I witness to people. Every soul counts. I have befriended an atheist professor. We have great discussions and those conversations have shown me where I need to improve with my abilities in conversation. I know I will not likely convert him but even if I don't the least I can do is develop better debate skills that may help in discussions with other folks. Still, I like this guy and will continue to try and this thread will be a big help. In fact, this very subject is why I came here.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think we might err when we try to sell Christianity as 'better than other religions." It isn't the best way to make friends and influence people. :)

But we can thoughtfully and without being smug, self-righteous, 'superior' et al honestly relate the following:

1. Christianity is not a religion at all though many have made a religion of it and identify it as a religion. Christianity is a relationship with the living Christ who came to Earth in human form to assure us of our salvation and eternal life. All who have that relationship are Christian and most of us believe it is offered to all.

2. Despite fear and resentment of Christianity and determined efforts to stamp it out first by both the Romans and the Pharisaic Jews and then others, no religion has had such a profound effect as has Christianity with the Bible remaining as the best selling book in the world and few places remaining in which the people are unaware of any Christian teaching/belief.

3. Despite the efforts of corrupt monarchs and popes and others in positions of power who have used Christianity for less than noble and even evil purposes, there has been no greater force for good in the world than Christianity:

--It has been the catalyst for learning, for education, for the arts, for scientific discovery.

--It has produced the least corrupt and most peaceful nations on Earth and furthered human rights. Before Christianity, almost all societies were organized, intelligent, but savage. Over the next 2000 years, Christianity has changed all that establishing more democratic governments and recognizing human rights in most/much of the world where it has been able to gain a strong foothold.

--It has provided services for the poor and needy and desperate all over the world in homeless shelters, food kitchens, ministry to orphans and lepers and others who have been helpless to help themselves, relief efforts in the wake of natural disasters, and havens in time war and violence, prison ministries and much more, and it does this regardless of the religion or lack thereof of the people who are served. Apart from any notion of earning any kind of reward, it prompts people to have concern and compassion for those they do not know, have never seen, will likely never meet, and who won't even know who is helping them. And it prompts many to risk much in providing hands on up close and personal ministry in many different ways. Many religions do wonderful charity, but none are as universally motivated purely by compassion in the same way as we see among Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
The morality, love and compassion of Christian teachings is the
basis for the imitation Humanism and 'care for others' emulated
by atheists and Marxists and other non-believers.

There is no better ideal.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto thee
is still the highest expression of living at peace with your neighbours
and that dysfunctional family across the road.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Finally - the most powerful testimony you can give is your own. Your encounter with God, what He has (and is) doing in your life is powerful. It's yours, and is also something people cannot argue with.

In a postmodern world, authenticity, openness, and honesty are often better approaches. Of course, personal testimony can be part of that as well.

The main point about Christianity is that salvation etc is not earnt or deserved but given as a free gift.
All other religeons require the believer to earn or deserve the reward.

Unless you are talking about a religion like Shin Buddhism, which has tens of millions of adherents in Japan. And describing Zen Buddhism as a religion of "earning ones salvation" would be almost as problematic.

This just shows when you go criticizing religious beliefs, you need to know what you are talking about. They know exactly what they believe and trying to reframe their beliefs is going to be seen as aggressive.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm kind of a defender rather than a go getter when it comes to my faith. But, I do like answering questions about it. I think in general Christianity can claim a Truth that happened. The other religions lack the historicity. I also like to mention the change to the world that was introduced by Jesus. The idea of hospitals, universities, the school systems as we know them now. The values of Christians for two millenia has improved culture and strengthened societies in ways we take for granted now. But Jesus came here 2ooo years ago lived 33 years and he really did change the world...what's the date? oh yeah year of our Lord 2018

Upvote 0

Galaxy Hunter

Jan 11, 2018
Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I

1. Christianity is not a religion at all though many have made a religion of it and identify it as a religion. Christianity is a relationship with the living Christ who came to Earth in human form to assure us of our salvation and eternal life.
With all due respect and appreciation to others who have posted on this thread this quote is one that struck me the most. Unbelievers aren't necessarily looking for a religion. They're looking for a relationship. That relationship can only come from someone living and like some others here pointed out, Christ is the only one who is truly alive. You folks are an answer to prayers.

• Friendly
Reactions: Foxfyre
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And describing Zen Buddhism as a religion of "earning ones salvation" would be almost as problematic.
Basic buddism is doing what gets one to nivarda.
Doesn't realy matter what flavour of buddism, the basic believe is being reborn again untill the goal is reached.
It is reached by 'good works'.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Basic buddism is doing what gets one to nivarda.
Doesn't realy matter what flavour of buddism, the basic believe is being reborn again untill the goal is reached.
It is reached by 'good works'.

Christianity is commonly also thought of as having a goal. A Buddhist could make the same argument you just did about Buddhism and apply it to Christianity: "Christianity is doing what gets one to heaven", etc.

If you are dealing with an intelligent person of another religion, being overly polemical is rarely the best approach.

Upvote 0