Why is Christianity so focused on Sin?

Pradeep Nair

Jul 10, 2015
✟15,307.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Why can't it be just about experiencing the love of God? Why not just about knowing the Holy Spirit, living by the wisdom in the Bible?

Instead, new believers have to feel guilty about their Sin. Let's be honest, most people are not sinners but are struggling. They struggle in their jobs, their finances, their health etc.

They struggle to pay the bills, to find someone who actually cares about them.

They feel normal human emotions like anger, frustrations, hate, even lust.

Why is that evil?

Now such a person would love to experience the love of Jesus & the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

But to reach there, they first have to confess their sins, feel bad about themselves.

It is almost as if sin is the key concept in the Bible.

My parents know me with all my shortcomings. They still love me, and never ask me to confess my so called "sins" everyday for them to love me. Why is it different with God the Father then?

If Christianity was more about spreading the love and forgiveness of Jesus, and less about the condemnation of Sin - we would have lot more believers. Who doesn't want God as a personal friend?

And just for the sake of argument, here is what other religions say on the topic of sin:

Hinduism: The concept of Sin doesn't even exists. They have more of a guidelines about living an ethical life.
Islam: The concept of Sin exists, and good deeds must be performed regularly to outweight the quota of sin in a person's life.
Buddhism: The concept of Sin doesn't exists. "Paapa" or "Punya" are towards another person, whereas Biblical Sin is against God.

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why can't it be just about experiencing the love of God? Why not just about knowing the Holy Spirit, living by the wisdom in the Bible?

Instead, new believers have to feel guilty about their Sin. Let's be honest, most people are not sinners but are struggling. They struggle in their jobs, their finances, their health etc.
Why is that evil?
It is evil because man is born into sin.
Indeed, in iniquity I was brought forth; in sin my mother conceived me. Psalms 51:5

Now such a person would love to experience the love of Jesus & the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit IS guiding you. Only you don't realize it.

But to reach there, they first have to confess their sins, feel bad about themselves.
ITs a humbling experience. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. James 4:6

The Bible not only talks about sin but also about the love of God, our love to each other. Promises, hope, peace, blessings, instructions to keep safe, practical wisdom as in Proverbs and much, much more.

My parents know me with all my shortcomings. They still love me, and never ask me to confess my so called "sins" everyday for them to love me. Why is it different with God the Father then?
If your parents asked you to confess all your sins and they didn't confess theirs then they would end up being hypocrites. Thats not the case with God. He is sinless.

If Christianity was more about spreading the love and forgiveness of Jesus, and less about the condemnation of Sin - we would have lot more believers. Who doesn't want God as a personal friend?
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14

And just for the sake of argument, here is what other religions say on the topic of sin:
And thats why christianity stands out from other faiths. Because if you truly want to please God then some day you will experience this-
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11
But this scripture is only applicable to those who don't rebel against God. But are submissive to Him.

Hinduism: The concept of Sin doesn't even exists. They have more of a guidelines about living an ethical life.
Islam: The concept of Sin exists, and good deeds must be performed regularly to outweight the quota of sin in a person's life.
Buddhism: The concept of Sin doesn't exists. "Paapa" or "Punya" are towards another person, whereas Biblical Sin is against God.

Please click to expand

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let's be honest, most people are not sinners
Which Bible are you reading? Mine clearly states EVERYONE is a sinner. Romans 3:23, Mark 10:18

If Christianity was more about spreading the love and forgiveness of Jesus,
But how can it be about forgiveness if we're going to start ignoring sin? Without sin, there's nothing to be forgiven for.

And all three examples you give are in direct contradiction with what the Bible teaches. This is the Christian-only section. Why would we even consider giving any weight to teachings that are in direct contradiction with Christianity??

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can do that if you wish. And when you die, it's all over.

Instead, new believers have to feel guilty about their Sin. Let's be honest, most people are not sinners but are struggling.
All people are sinners and if you doubt it, find us someone who has never done wrong, period.

That doesn't sound like a very difficult requirement to reach.

As a matter of fact, it is. You've read Genesis, I take it?

Because, unlike your parents, he is the standard of goodness and love--all the things you say you want to have.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Go to more mainline churches, they typically are less heavy-handed about guilt and pietistic excesses.

I would say our struggle is a reflection of our sinful world. Not just us as individuals and our guilt or lack thereof, but the whole situation we find ourselves in. It's here that the Gospel can give people hope. Being sensitive to where people are at, can be part of being a good and faithful preacher. Obviously, someone who uses God's law to oppress or psychologically manipulate someone is abusing that Law, they are committing a grave sin.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good point, FireDragon. Most Christians do not brood over their sins, feel that they're carrying a huge guilt burden, or anything of the sort which our friend seems to assume. BUT, there are some churches/denominations which seem to specialize in it, that's so.

As you indicate, Christians mostly are encouraged and gladdened to know that there is a better way with a better result and it's been made possible for them through that love Jesus is known for.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's ironic you mention Hinduism and "guidelines for ethical living", I would say that is how most Christians approach God's Law. Even in Eastern religions it is possible to feel despair when faced with the reality of the human condition, when understood within the context of that religion.

The problem is that some churches are weak on the Gospel. Typically, they are the extreme holiness or Pentecostal churches that confuse the ethical life or the life of piety with the promise of God's forgiveness and love.

• Agree
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Because sin is the quintessential problem. Period. A solution only makes sense in light of the problem it is meant to solve.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Col 2:20-23 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules:"Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"?
Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

The problem with "sin" in the churches world is that it is obsessed with condemning sins like smoking, drinking wine, ect. Those things are not the problem but they are made the problem and we condemn people for doing them.
Paul clearly stated that wine itself is not a problem, but that excess drinking leads us to debauchery. Debauchery IS the problem. Jesus drank real wine. Didn't the religious leaders have a cow about it? Doesn't the church have a cow about it too?

In the above passage, Paul explains that while abstaining from such things gives one an appearance of being holy but if their minds are dark with sin then its not worth much. It can be a good thing that we don't smoke or drink but if we have the works of the flesh in our heart then the appearance is bogus.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Why is that evil?

If you want a person to be saved from the eternal lake of fire they have to know about the eternal lake of fire..
If you want to reveal to a person that they have sinned against God then you need to reveal to them their sins..
A person needs to Know they need saving before they will value the One who is going to save them..
There is no point telling a person that Jesus loves them and for them to accept Jesus when they have noi idea who this Jesus is and why they need to embrace Him... They will just politely nod there head turn around and roll their eyes and walk away non the wiser..

The knowledge of our own sin is an essential step in the Way to eternal life... People must first know they have a problem before they will truly embrace the Solution...

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Pradeep Nair. The knowledge of our sin is an essential step in the Way to eternal life...People must first
know they have a problem before they will truly embrace the Solution... You are right, Pradeep. And how do we know we have a problem? Jesus told us a great truth. In Matthew 22: 35-40: He told us: " The first and great truth is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Let us stop disliking and being unforgiving, to all around us. Let us love and care, and be helpful where help is needed.
We are told to love and care and be kind and forgiving, God will Bless us and guide us a right way ALWAYS.
Give up all selfish wishes and wants, and truly feel and care for our neighbour. (neighbour is all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. Jesus died for us, and let us now live for God and each other. One day we all hope to return to our heavenly home, and if there is envy and strife all the time, how will we appear to our Heavenly Father? Let us all try to be as God wants us to be, always kind and considerate, where Jesus our saviour is waiting for us. Let us turn this imperfect world into a loving and caring world. Let us all be as our Heavenly Father wants us to be. I say this with love, Pradeep Nair. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Brennenstuhl

Dec 13, 2016
Bowling Green, Kentucky
✟11,527.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Is a cake eaten in one bite?

Yes, sin is a problem. It's what separates us from God. Admitting we have a sin problem is that crucial first step on the path to Christ. But we're not called to dress in ashes and sack cloth and wallow in the misery of sin... to the contrary, this is the glory of Christ! We are made new creations in him! Yet an appropriate allegory I've heard is that we grow from spiritual babies to spiritual adults, but not in an instant. And we are not required to give up every last sin at the moment we accept, nor can we... even the best of Christians are sinful.

All sin is in the eyes of God. Your parents and friends may be good in the eyes of men, but what do you think we look like in the eyes of an all good God?

You do have a point about spreading love vs spreading guilt... but this is not Christ's doing. Christ was all about spreading love. Christ does want us to realize our sin... but in the same way a parent wants his child to realize his own misbehavior. He wants us to learn, give us a hug, and help us with our lives. Sadly, some Christians are stuck in the Law, and become self-righteous, and tear down others to make themselves feel more holy... which of course, is a very sad contradiction.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From my perspective, sin is simply not acting or thinking in God's character. Lifting up ones self while looking down on others is not in Christs character, so that it sin.
Thinking of other people, even your enemies, as lower life forms than you is sin. Charging others too much, any form of deceit, gossip, lust, envy, greed, slander, name calling.....all of it is sin.
But the church likes to focus on things that are irrelevant to God's love. Why? I might suspect that a pastor can boldly rebuke people who drink and smoke because he don't do it himself. But it might be hard to preach with confidence about loving your enemies when he can't completely do it himself.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't the scriptures say that Christ comes into the world to convict it of sin? John chapter 16.
No. Jesus came into the world to seek and save sinners. It is the Holy Spirit who convicts of sin, righteousness and judgment to come. Sin, because we are all dead in sin until we accept Christ as Saviour; righteousness, because all our righteousness is as filthy rags before God, so we need to accept Christ and receive His righteousness to cover us; and Judgment to come because there will be a day of Judgment where God will judge unbelievers. The person who judges him or herself a sinner needing Christ, and accepts Him as Saviour, will not be judged, but will stand at the right hand of God to witness the judgment of those on His left.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From my perspective, sin is simply not acting or thinking in God's character. Lifting up ones self while looking down on others is not in Christs character, so that it sin.
Thinking of other people, even your enemies, as lower life forms than you is sin. Charging others too much, any form of deceit, gossip, lust, envy, greed, slander, name calling.....all of it is sin.
But the church likes to focus on things that are irrelevant to God's love. Why? I might suspect that a pastor can boldly rebuke people who drink and smoke because he don't do it himself. But it might be hard to preach with confidence about loving your enemies when he can't completely do it himself.

Just a thought.

The Church, in my experience, does not focus on things that are irrelevant to God's love. You may be defining "Church" differently than I am.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. Jesus came into the world to seek and save sinners. It is the Holy Spirit who convicts of sin, righteousness and judgment to come. Sin, because we are all dead in sin until we accept Christ as Saviour; righteousness, because all our righteousness is as filthy rags before God, so we need to accept Christ and receive His righteousness to cover us; and Judgment to come because there will be a day of Judgment where God will judge unbelievers. The person who judges him or herself a sinner needing Christ, and accepts Him as Saviour, will not be judged, but will stand at the right hand of God to witness the judgment of those on His left.
Yes you are correct. However, Paul does say that the Lord is the spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:17

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes you are correct. However, Paul does say that the Lord is the spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:17
That's right. But we need to understand where each member of the Godhead is at present. Jesus ascended to be at the right hand of the Father to be our advocate. That is where He is at present. Because He went to the Father, He sent the Holy Spirit to indwell believers. Having the Holy Spirit indwell us is the same as having Jesus in us (the hope of Glory) because the Holy Spirit is in such unity with the Father and the Son that He is a total representative of both. The Holy Spirit does and says only what Jesus tells Him, so when the Holy Spirit is speaking within us, it is the same as if Jesus spoke to us in person.

In actual fact, having the Holy Spirit indwelling us is greater than if we were walking with Jesus in Bible times. The first disciples had Jesus with them, but we have the Holy Spirit within us. And the Holy Spirit is not inferior to the Father and the Son. It is having God within us because the Holy Spirit is God in the same way that the Father and the Son are God.

I have heard people say, "Wouldn't be wonderful if we could walk with Jesus like they did in Bible times?" But if they did they might be sadly disappointed, because they would be seeing Jesus as just an ordinary person like any other. We are in a much better place because we don't just walk with Jesus, we have the Holy Spirit living right inside of us.

Actually, we wouldn't want to see Jesus in person as He is now. He is the glorified Son of God. John had just a vision of Him and fell at his feet as if dead. If that was the effect of having just a vision of the glorified Jesus, what do you think would happen if we, in our physical bodies saw Jesus in person? I don't know. But having the Holy Spirit living in us is like having Jesus in us in a way that we can appreciate and enjoy His presence.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps because God is.
The Holiness folk make it appear so, because they are steeped in sin-consciousness because of the semi-legalism. The Grace folk see God differently.

Upvote 0