United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus praying to the Father...

John 17:21 that all of them be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

Reactions: CodyFaith
Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
30,000 denominations? I was wondering if they came up in people's own country in their own languages/ villages off in jungles, up high in mountainous regions when they got evangelized. Not influenced by 1st. world countries? 30,000 stills seems incredible.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is incredible. Or at least we should say it's misleading.

That survey counted innumerable church organizations, sodalities, missionary societies, monastic orders, and so on as if they were separate denominations and also counted as separate denominations the same church body for each nation in which it has a presence. For example, the Roman Catholic Church has parishes in Italy and also in the USA; they're not different denominations.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are 30,000 denominations all based of one book.

Well, no.

Those numbers are pretty misrepresented. Those studies which have produced those sorts of numbers consider "denomination" everything from the difference between Baptists and Lutherans, to different Lutheran denominations, to the same denomination just in a different geographic location, to even just different liturgical rites within the same church.

And it's also a bit erroneous to think in terms of "We all have the same book..." divisions within Christianity are often on account of different interpretations of Scripture, sure; but regularly there are other reasons.

The complexity and inter-relatedness of the various traditions, denominations, and sects within Christianity is--well--complicated. And it's almost impossible to really talk about it without discussing the historical contexts in which schisms themselves took place, the reasons behind them, and all the other various factors and things going on. For example the Great Schism of 1054 is itself incredibly complicated and to adequately understand the schism between the Western and Eastern churches requires an examination of several hundreds of years both prior to the 1054 schism as well as several hundred years after (as the schism wasn't really considered "final" until around the Council of Florence in the 15th century)--we'd need to discuss the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, the liturgical and theological differences between East and West both ancient and medieval, the solidifying of power in the West under the Frankish kings--most importantly Charles, known as Charlemagne, and the Roman Bishop naming him "Emperor of the Romans"--and how that effected relations with the East which was still under the hegemony of the Roman Empire based in Constantinople, as well as things such as the development and eventual inclusion of the Filioque into the Nicene Creed in the West, as well as (for example) the controversy surrounding Photius. And many other things.

And that's just one incident. Not all are that complicated, but there is frequently all kinds of complications to discussing it.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One only needs to look around Christianforums.com to see why. This place has so much, "My practice is right and yours is wrong" stuff that I find it disheartening. Christians seem to have little tolerance for variation in belief and little charity toward others who believe or worship differently. We keep the church from being united. I think we would be better served if we followed CS Lewis advice on the matter in his metaphor about the Church being like a house with many rooms:

“It is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable.

Above all you must be asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and paneling. In plain language, the question should never be: ‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but ‘Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular door-keeper?

When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors <emphasis mine> and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.” ~Mere Christianity

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nondenom40

Aug 2, 2016
Illinois
✟15,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are 30,000 denominations all based of one book. Did the Lord intend for division of this scale? Or did we do it?
What's your source? I've seen similar claims based on a misrepresentation of the facts. All true believers are united in the Holy Spirit. We might have different teachings in peripheral doctrine but the gospel is the same. Those with a false gospel wouldn't be included in the household of God in the first place.

Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
they are not really that 'divided' in its strictest term. new testament had its own denominations as well.

There are 30,000 denominations all based of one book. Did the Lord intend for division of this scale? Or did we do it?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
30,000 denominations? I was wondering if they came up in people's own country in their own languages/ villages off in jungles, up high in mountainous regions when they got evangelized. Not influenced by 1st. world countries? 30,000 stills seems incredible.

I think that figure is as high as it is because of non-denominational churches. Since they're inherently unaffiliated with any other body then, ipso facto, they're their own denomination.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think that figure is as high as it is because of non-denominational churches. Since they're inherently unaffiliated with any other body then, ipso facto, they're their own denomination.
They were not included in that stat. For one thing, it would be almost impossible to keep track of all the one-congregation storefront churches that are independent of any denomination.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What's your source? I've seen similar claims based on a misrepresentation of the facts. All true believers are united in the Holy Spirit. We might have different teachings in peripheral doctrine but the gospel is the same. Those with a false gospel wouldn't be included in the household of God in the first place.
The source is the World Christian Encyclopedia. See following link for a breakdown on the 30,000
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There is a purpose in all things. Personally I believe that denominations allow for a broader reach of individuals. All things for His glory according to His plan.

Upvote 0