Why is Carthage and Phoenecia's child sacrifice being denied now?

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,353.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been watching documentaries of ancient civilizations and a few of them are now saying those places did not use child sacrifice. That all that talk was a smear campaign by Rome and the Greeks. What do you make of that?

Archeaologists and historians have to come up with new ideas from time to time or else they're out of jobs.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
It's right to be suspicious about such claims. One can't just read the ancient histories and take them as fact if the archeology says otherwise.
But from everything I've read, the archeological evidence does back up the narrative of human sacrifice. Unfortunately, it seems the Carthaginians did do child sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Ruthie24

Apr 15, 2014
USA
✟8,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Child and adult sacrifice was used by almost all pagan cultures, even the Greeks and Romans. You have to go with archeological evidence and not follow what dominant cultures or naysayers say. Sometimes even archeologists try to deny things. That's when you go with ancient texts and try to find balance.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A little tangent, but it's always struck me as funny (in a black humour kind of way) that the Romans would smear anyone over human sacrifice, which they used as a casus belli against the Carthaginians and the British Celts, if not others. I mean hello, what do you think gladiatorial matches are?

It couldn't be any more hypocritical than, say, if the US declared war on some country for stockpiling chemical or nuclear weapons! I mean can you imagine?

Last edited:
Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
why do you thnk they called it baal pe or. pe means mouth and or means light. this was a huge brass statue representing a demon entity hiding behind that demanded human baby sacrifice. the fire out of the mouth was a burning fire kindled inside the hollow brass statue. they threw their babies into. the romans destroyed carthage completely after the 2nd punic war. there were thousands and thousands of baby graves. the same happened in meso america. human sacrifice was a given in most pagan cultures.

carthage was founded by dido around 1000 BC who was a loose relative of queen jezebel..

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
why do you thnk they called it baal pe or. pe means mouth and or means light. this was a huge brass statue representing a demon entity hiding behind that demanded human baby sacrifice. the fire out of the mouth was a burning fire kindled inside the hollow brass statue. they threw their babies into. the romans destroyed carthage completely after the 2nd punic war. there were thousands and thousands of baby graves. the same happened in meso america. human sacrifice was a given in most pagan cultures.

carthage was founded by dido around 1000 BC who was a loose relative of queen jezebel..
interesting I am also trying to confirm temple prostitution

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟663,976.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Try this story.

Ancient Carthaginians really did sacrifice their children

Jan 23, 2014

After decades of scholarship denying that the Carthaginians sacrificed their children, new research has found 'overwhelming' evidence that this ancient civilisation really did carry out the practice.

Link:

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Try this story.

Jan 23, 2014

After decades of scholarship denying that the Carthaginians sacrificed their children, new research has found 'overwhelming' evidence that this ancient civilisation really did carry out the practice.

Link:
That's a pretty reputable cite. I'm convinced that the Carthaginians did sacrifice their children.

Upvote 0