• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Why I'm not a young earth creationist...

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Humble_Disciple, Jun 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirOptimus

VirOptimus A nihilist who cares.

+4,263
    Atheist
    Married
    This thread is like someone having just learned multiplications trying to argue partial differential equations.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. The Righterzpen

The Righterzpen Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm

+1,080
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    In a universe that's in constant motion though; exact position of star A to star B can't be assumed. If Alfa Centauri is 5 millimeters "that way" in the night sky than it was 2000 years ago (which you have no way of knowing or proving); "physical constants in distant galaxies" are relative.

Yeah there's enough consistency that we recognize it; but it's still not an accurate way to measure the age of the cosmos.

3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+10,723
    Atheist
    Single
    I was going to say it is like a toddler arguing that 6 + 6 is ten since he ran out of fingers.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. The Righterzpen

+1,080
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Well than, I guess you better brush up on your math than huh?

5. VirOptimus

+4,263
    Atheist
    Married
    My math skills are just fine thank you.

You wanna argue partial differential equations now?

6. The Righterzpen

+1,080
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Well kid's it's been fun.

I got an education tonight. Thanks for making me do research. You've only served to reinforce what I believe about the Scripture and God.

7. The Righterzpen

+1,080
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
  8. Subduction Zone

+10,723
    Atheist
    Single
    It is amazing how ignorance can be so self confirming.

9. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster On campaign in Georgia

+4,520
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    The motion of the stars in the sky would be measured as an angle, like 2 degrees change (or more likely in arcseconds).

Do you specialize in being wrong, because you're *very* good at it:

We can measure the age of the cosmos to ~1%. Do you know your weight to ~1%?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Subduction Zone

+10,723
    Atheist
    Single
    Differential equations was a course that I crushed. Forty years ago. Since then I have not used it at all. I know less about that now than I did at the start of that course:(

I was the first to turn my final in. I had finished it. Went over the whole thing again and found no errors. It was also the first and only final with an "extra credit" question. I did that too. Where did all of that knowledge go?

11. VirOptimus

+4,263
    Atheist
    Married
    I'm sure that if you open a textbook on it today it will come back again (with some work). :)

12. Subduction Zone

+10,723
    Atheist
    Single
    I might go to a used book store and pick one up.

13. Subduction Zone

+10,723
    Atheist
    Single
    Well at least I can still count to thirty one on the fingers of one hand. And quite rapidly too.

14. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+2,142
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Did I say you needed to? I didn't ask you all to post to me you know.

15. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+2,142
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Firstly I am female and secondly older than you, but yes we can all be learning.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+8,524
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    By publicly expressing your views on a discussion forum you implicilty invite other members to reply to you. If you were unaware of that, you are now duly informed. (No need to thank me. :))

17. Estrid

Estrid Well-Known Member

+942
    Hong Kong
    Skeptic
    In Relationship

The rare rare rare creo can admit to even one mistake.

Try just the "live animal c14 millions of years" one,
    instead of answering all and complaining!

The most crazed creo on earth would surely admit that
    C14 is only possible out to roughly 60,000.

18. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+5,119
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Im not sure what exactly you mean. I’m not saying that Genesis is a parable, I’m saying that the reason the earth appears to be older than it is could be because of the same reason Jesus spoke in parables. So that those who refuse to humble themselves to God will not see the evidence of Him.

19. The Righterzpen

+1,080
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Well OK. I'm female too and I'm 50; so are you actually older than me?

20. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+5,119
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I don’t care what “mystery cults” do, that’s their business I’m merely explaining why God would make the earth appear to be older than it actually is, so that those who reject Him will not be forced to believe in Him based on conclusive evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.