• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why I'm in Alcoholics Anonymous

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Throughout my many years in and out of recovery from alcoholism, I have had quite a few Christians try to discourage me from going to AA, because it is "not strictly Christian." This last week something happened that has confirmed to me that AA is where God wants me for my recovery. Last week, a woman asked me to be her AA sponsor.

This woman is newly sober, and wants to stay that way by working the 12 Steps of AA. My job, as her sponsor, is to guide her in that process. In the past week, we have had many conversations about my beliefs in God, and how He gives me the strength to resist all temptation through the power of the Holy Spirit. In the process, I've mention becoming born again, and being saved, and referred to many passages of Scripture. She was raised Catholic, and attended Catholic school. She had stopped attending for a while after her divorce, but since getting sober has returned.

I am praying that as we go through the Steps, God will reveal Himself to her in a powerful way, and that she will make a personal decision to accept the Lord as her Savior.

Christians who need help with alcohol abuse, or alcoholism can attend AA, and be witnesses. I am in a lot of private conversations with women in the program.

• Informative
Reactions: Leet

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have had quite a few Christians try to discourage me from going to AA, because it is "not strictly Christian."

People who say this usually have not been in a christian enviornment outside their "chruch" raising. People with limited enviornments have fears about anything "unfamiliar". Most of em grow up with the same people, have limited travel experience and have a rather narrow view of the world. Anything that is "foreign" is seen in a negative light.

I have never seen anything in AA that is in conflict with biblical teaching, in fact to me it enchances it. The influx comes from the fact that non-christians attend more readily than they do a church service. This only serves to show that even non-christians can benefit from christian principles.

Every meeting I have ever attended begins with the Serenity Prayer and many close with the Lord's Prayer. I find it sad to hear people would discourage soberity on any level, much less AA. To date I know of no program that has a higher success rate. I'm glad you were able to disregard their views and continue to work and serve in AA. It's a great place to witness and to grow.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

People who say this usually have not been in a christian enviornment outside their "chruch" raising. People with limited enviornments have fears about anything "unfamiliar". Most of em grow up with the same people, have limited travel experience and have a rather narrow view of the world. Anything that is "foreign" is seen in a negative light.

I have never seen anything in AA that is in conflict with biblical teaching, in fact to me it enchances it. The influx comes from the fact that non-christians attend more readily than they do a church service. This only serves to show that even non-christians can benefit from christian principles.

Every meeting I have ever attended begins with the Serenity Prayer and many close with the Lord's Prayer. I find it sad to hear people would discourage soberity on any level, much less AA. To date I know of no program that has a higher success rate. I'm glad you were able to disregard their views and continue to work and serve in AA. It's a great place to witness and to grow.

A wonderful post, if I may say so.

I even read an interesting article in the Guardian by a woman who said, that, never mind if you're an atheist, if you give believing in a 'higher power' a chance, and it helps significantly, it works, as it did for her, they'd be a fool not to use it. How more so, when accompanied by the Christian prayers.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Madison: Have you seen this one-you might share it as you sponsor if you like it

580280_409188055801350_151408773_n.jpg

Upvote 0
May 23, 2011
U.P. of Michigan
✟15,908.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I attend OA meetings, but I always question whether or not I'm really supposed to be there. One thing that bothers me is that overeating, drinking, etc. are considered diseases that will never be cured. Well, I believe that concept takes away from God's power to heal a person if he sees fit.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you feel the same about diabetics? Allergies? AIDS? There is no known cure the same as for the items listed above, however God is very much the focus of All the A's.

In fact Step 3 of recovery depends on "turning our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him"-not to mention tools like "prayer & meditation" and amends. There is Nothing in the 12 Steps that is in conflict with Christianity
whatsoever.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm saying that an addiction is not always a life-long problem. Some people actually do get cured. The 12-step programs look at these things as something you will absolutely deal with for your entire life.

I don't think you understand how and why not only AA and OA call addiction a disease, but psychiatrists and psychologists also call it a disease as well.

Research has shown that there is a big difference between an addict's brain and the brain of someone who doesn't display any addiction. It has to do with the pleasure center of the brain. When someone who was born with the addictive brain introduces the chemical, or behavior, into their body, the pleasure center of the brain goes crazy, and this person wants that feeling more and more, and the person seeks that feeling more and more, until it becomes a destructive addiction.

If a person with an addiction stops doing the addictive behavior, or stops consuming the chemical, they are not cured. The disease is arrested. If the addict stays clean for 20 years, and all of a sudden consumes the chemical or does the behavior, as in gambling, they turn that part of the brain back on. The cravings start back up, and the addict starts to seek that pleasure again.

An alcoholic will never be able to drink socially once the alcoholism takes off in their life. They can stop drinking, and get the cravings to stop. They just can't ever consume the alcohol, even in small doses. The cravings will return.

There are also some medical reasons that addiction, especially chemical addiction, is considered a disease. One, it's progressive. That means if the addiction is not arrested, it will get worse. Two, it's fatal. If the addict does not stop consuming the chemical, they will die because of it. Alcoholics get cirrhosis of the liver, or wet brain. Addicts die from overdoses, or heart attacks.

When people in 12 Step programs talk about dealing with the addiction for the rest of their lives, it's not like their constantly tempted to use, or having cravings. It means developing a Spiritual program, including an intimate relationship with God, cleaning house through confession and repentance of sins, making amends to people we've hurt, and then sharing the good news of recovery with beginners, or people still struggling with their addiction.

My own experience may help you understand what I'm saying. I had been totally abstinent from alcohol for over six years, until December 2007. Then, right before Christmas, I bought a bottle of wine, got drunk, and went into a horrible relapse. Up until then, I had only been an occasional binger, and never a daily drinker. After that episode, I fought the urge to drink every single day, for a little more than two years. I would go on daily binges for a week or two, and then stop and stay stopped for a month or two. BUT, I wanted to get drunk every day I wasn't drinking. After two years of that, I ended up in the psych ward of the local hospital. After a week there, I was transferred to an inpatient drug/alcohol treatment center. I was miserable there, and wanted to be discharged as soon as I got there. One morning, while I was meeting with two other Christians for prayer and Bible reading, I prayed and totally surrendered my will and life to God, (which is Step 3 in AA). Since that morning, I have not ever had an urge, craving or desire for one drop of alcohol. Because of that, I have worked all 12 Steps of the AA program. More importantly, I have not had one drop of alcohol since January 14, 2010.

I still attend AA meetings regularly. I do that to share what God has done for me. I still study and work all 12 Steps to allow God to have His will in my life. I also read the Life Recovery Bible, to show how God developed the 12 Step programs out of His Holy Word.

I hope this makes some sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 23, 2011
U.P. of Michigan
✟15,908.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I have heard and read all of that before. Maybe my situation is different somehow. I know that the "disease of compulsive overeating" is suppose to be progressive. For me it has not changed in over 30 years. There are days when it is worse, but I do not continue to gain weight, I do not progress from grazing to eating huge amounts of food, etc.

I tend to look at a disease as something that happens to a person without them being able to trace their behavior to the development of it. In the case of alcohol or food, at some point the person decided to start doing it. I decided, without realizing what the consequences for my life would be, to eat more often and in larger quantities than my body needed. And I decided to continue that behavior despite the negative effects of it. If I wasn't getting something out of it (relaxation, pleasure, etc.) I would not do it. So far the pleasure outweighs the pain, apparently.

Upvote 0

BlessedDove

~ Child of God ~
Apr 17, 2013
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that my fellowship in AA in connection to studying The Life Recovery Bible have served me well in my recovery. I am sober today by the grace of God, but He expects me to do my part as well. Participating in AA keeps me on the right track and gives me the opportunity to share my testimony with others. I am deeply grateful for AA bringing me home to Christ and reminding me I can't do it on my own. His will be done, not mine.

Upvote 0
L

lily777

I know a lot of people who do not buy into the disease model. I am one who doesn't really necessarily buy into it as I do think my compulsive overeating, drug addiction and alcoholism were all 3 the result of full blown sin.

Since that is my opinion I can also say that the AA book has helped me really have a more full understanding of the Bible. I have learned that I was a self centered control freak who also was full of self pity and resentments. I was also extremely dishonest and full of false pride. I have been in and out of the rooms of AA/NA/OA since 1987 and overall have had a very positive experience. There is something to be said for keeping tract of sober (AA) clean (NA) and abstinent from compulsive overeating that really helps. Stringing together long amounts of time really has helped me on the few occasions I have wanted to "numb out" rather than running to the Lord. I am happy to say that I have recovered from these 3 sinful lifestyle addictions, however I would never want to bring on the phenomenon of craving by dabbling whatsoever in any of the stumbling substances again. I also weigh and measure my meals, that works for me and am maintaining a 90 lb. weight loss.

All Glory be given to GOD!!! :)

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm saying that an addiction is not always a life-long problem. Some people actually do get cured. The 12-step programs look at these things as something you will absolutely deal with for your entire life.

We can trace many diseases (or medical conditions) to a cause of origin. Take ulcers for example. Excessive anxiety produces the physical condtion, is is treatable, yes. Does the issue of dealing with anxiety ever go away completely-no. We all face life long problems; Sin is one of them.

There is evidence to suggest that most alcoholics, smokers, compulsive overeaters are what Freud called "fixated in the oral stage" at some point the person ingests alcohol, nicotine etc without realizing the consequences it may have on their physical body. The same is true of common allergies like strawberries, peanuts, the difference is the Addictive quality of certain substances on certain individuals. Whether the "addict" achieves soberity or not the "problem" does exist and is a lifelong "problem" the same as worry, fear, or degenrative aliments are. We do not have to be overtaken on a daily basis by these things, but once they are part of our lives, they are "issues" we must guard against, lest we fall prey to them again and this is where the lifelong concept originates. None of this takes away from the Glory of God, in fact the concept of powerlessness credits the aid of a Higher Power (God) throughout the life of the addict and flat out says without God there is no recovery. The need for God is a lifelong venture not a "problem".

Upvote 0
May 23, 2011
U.P. of Michigan
✟15,908.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I don't think anxiety causes ulcers. However, you have given me some things to think about. The question remains - does a person have any control over their addiction, or not? And does God expect us to take the first step in controlling it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

If Not For Grace

Feb 4, 2005
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Addiction is 3 fold Mental, Physical and Spiritual. The addict can not address a single issue and forego the others. The first step is admitting we are powerless to do it alone and that we need the help of God (which the secular call a higher power).

A person must first address their thought patterns ("As a man thinks, so is he") So in that respect the addict has to make the first step, in admitting there is a problem and that he needs help. Then comes the work of the steps. There is a void within all of us that only God can fill-some people mistakingly & even unknowingly get involved with substances and find a "temporary" fill for the void. They feel compelled or drawn to the substance (fixaited) and are then addicted. There are chemical changes that take place in the body (thus withdrawals, DT's etc ARE real). Depending on the degree of addiction. Addiction IS progressive. It will only get worse without treatment.

There are only 3 outcomes; Death, Jail or recovery. It is no easy path.

Upvote 0

epluribus36

Follower of Jesus
Nov 1, 2013
Ozarks
✟15,402.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe people who won't attend AA/NA, but will attend Celebrate Recovery or something similar, simply believe they're too good to go to AA/NA. Kinda like the Pharisees of Jesus' time were too holy to follow Jesus.

I know a guy who attends CR with me, who always emphasizes the CR mantra "My name is xxxx and I have been delivered from drugs and alcohol", and how that is different from the NA mantra "My name is xxxx and I am an addict" or the AA mantra "My name is xxxx and I am an alcoholic".

I try not to be judgmental of that guy, but he's not one of my favorite people, I must admit. I have no problem admitting I'm a person with an addictive personality myself, but I don't repeat that "I've been delivered from drugs and alcohol" mantra, simply because I don't believe it. I believe I'll be delivered from all my worldly trappings the moment I leave this mortal body, and not a minute before.

Upvote 0
D

detachment

Even thow my sponsor wasn't a Christian AA led me to CHRIST my savior Ive struggled with AA not being Christian but celebrate recovery well they harassed me for being schizoaffective and taking medication which is evil even Paul had a thorn in his flesh the man who led the meeting acted like I wasn't even saved cause im mentally ill AA supports me I have Christian and non Christian friends its not like im gonna go to my pastor and talk about certain things that I don't feel comfortable with.

Upvote 0