Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many media outlets are biased - some to the left, some to the right. How does this threaten freedom of speech?

As long as there are any media sources that are not extreme right, some people will feel threatened thereby.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did you look at the charts? Because it's easy to see that both the Dems and Reps in south were against the Act but in the north more Dems voted for it than Reps did.

Few southern democrats voted for the Civil Rights Act. No southern republicans did.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you need a name, you are choosing not to believe me. It would be better if you study the RNC platform than assume the only way to believe something is hear a specific statement.

If you can't come up with one name, why should we think you know what you're talking about?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I never said blacks were dumb. You are putting ugly words in my mouth.

Well, then why do you think that blacks don't buy what you're selling? And is it possible the reason they aren't signing on to your new movement is that the founder is a white guy, again trying to tell blacks who they should have as leaders?

Or maybe it's that #WalkAway is getting most of it's play by Russian bots? Ya think?

Black people are, on the average, a lot smarter than those guys assumed.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not associate guns with freedom. I look at many people who have guns as being enslaved by their fears. My friend's parents, small town people, carry two guns each wherever they go.

They don't need guns. They need therapy, anti-anxiety meds, and trust in God.

How did people get so fearful? I grew up in NY Commuted to work on the subways. Never imagined in my most fevered dreams needing a gun. We didn't argue; we discussed. We respected one another.

I am free because I trust God and my fellow man. I take sensible precautions. How sad to feel the need to carry weapons.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Pro-Trump & Russian-Linked Twitter Accounts Are Posing As Ex-Democrats In New Astroturfed Movement
Most of the tweets were strikingly similar, and the vast majority pushed a very familiar narrative. Using the hashtag #WalkAway and claiming to be former Democrats, social media users shared their stories of leaving the Democratic party after being turned off by the “hate” and “division” of “the left.” Many of them cited the incidents involving Sanders and Waters as examples of the “intolerance” and “bullying” that supposedly drove them to support Trump after years—in some cases, decades—of voting for Democrats.
Pro-Trump & Russian-Linked Twitter Accounts Are Posing As Ex-Democrats In New Astroturfed Movement

Russians were trying to use this hoax to stop the democrats in 2018:

Russian bots are using #WalkAway to try to wound Dems in midterms
The most recent example of this strategy is the #WalkAway hashtag, which is presented as a grassroots effort by former Democrats who are critical of the party's alleged intimidation, confrontation and lack of civility and want people to walk away from the party.
The most recent example of this strategy is the #WalkAway hashtag, which is presented as a grassroots effort by former Democrats who are critical of the party's alleged intimidation, confrontation and lack of civility and want people to walk away from the party.
However, #WalkAway has also now been connected to Kremlin-linked Russian bots, and it is now the seventh most popular Russia-influenced hashtag as of this writing, according to the website Hamilton 68, which tracks Russian influence on Twitter as part of the Alliance for Securing Democracy, an initiative of the nonpartisan German Marshall Fund. The purpose of this now-astroturf campaign is to manipulate public opinion by creating the illusion that this is a popular movement.
Russian bots are using #WalkAway to try to wound Democrats in the midterms (Opinion) - CNN

Which gives you some idea of how well it's working. Blue wave went right over the top of it. Black people are smarter than you seem to think.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you remember the name of everyone who said something about gun rights?

I don't make a claim about what someone said, without knowing that I can back it up. It's a good practice, one that can save a person a lot of embarrassment.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems to me that conservative Republicans can be very fearful and self centered. Not to mention sold out to the Trump world view.
It seems to me that conservative Republicans can be very fearful and self centered.

Fearful of what? Self centered how?

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many media outlets are biased - some to the left, some to the right. How does this threaten freedom of speech?
Gee i dont know, ask Nazi Germany. If Nazis took over the main stream media and propagated their hatred would you be ok with that?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Black people are smarter than you seem to think.
What? I think black people are stupid? NO sir your lie is an absurd attack and makes me ill. .. I have many videos of black folks who left the democratic party so its no lie. As far as polls go, they are not perfect as we all know and are wrong a lot. AS time goes by more minorities will join the republican party as minorities themselves speak out against the democratic party on issues such as abortion for example.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not associate guns with freedom. I look at many people who have guns as being enslaved by their fears. My friend's parents, small town people, carry two guns each wherever they go.

They don't need guns. They need therapy, anti-anxiety meds, and trust in God.

How did people get so fearful? I grew up in NY Commuted to work on the subways. Never imagined in my most fevered dreams needing a gun. We didn't argue; we discussed. We respected one another.

I am free because I trust God and my fellow man. I take sensible precautions. How sad to feel the need to carry weapons.
My right to keep and bear arms doesnt end with your feelings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems to me that conservative Republicans can be very fearful and self centered. Not to mention sold out to the Trump world view.

Turns out, there's a neurological reason for that:

Conservatives Big on Fear, Brain Study Finds

Are people born conservative?
Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals.

The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...1104/conservatives-big-fear-brain-study-finds

This has been replicated in other studies and is a better predictor of political outlook than even family history.

Which is not to say conservatives are brain-damaged; the amygdala has a very important survival function, in identifying and avoiding threats. Likewise, the anterior cingulate gyrus also has an important survival function. It's just that the relative robustness of these two details of brain anatomy do have some behavioral consequences.

It's the reason for that overgeneralization,that contains a kernel of truth:
"Liberals are open and friendly because they assume everyone is pretty much like they are; conservatives are suspicious and surly for the same reason."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Must not have been very many southern republicans seeing how 80% republicans voted for civil rights.

Conservatives republicans outside the south also didn't. Barry Goldwater, for example, rejected it.

At that time, most republicans were moderate to liberal. The John Birch society rated Eisenhower as a communist sympathizer.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Conservatives republicans outside the south also didn't. Barry Goldwater, for example, rejected it.

At that time, most republicans were moderate to liberal. The John Birch society rated Eisenhower as a communist sympathizer.
Today's republicans would have voted for civil rights the same way today as they did in the 60's, only with a bigger majority. So whats your point about the republican 80% majority for civil rights?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.