HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is anyone silenced in America, notwithstanding NDA's, claims of (executive) privilege ... and/or gag orders ???

I think plenty of people are silenced with the cancel culture as they labeled it.

A modern internet phenomenon where a person is ejected from influence or fame by questionable actions. It is caused by a critical mass of people who are quick to judge and slow to question. It is commonly caused by an accusation, whether that accusation has merit or not. It is a direct result of the ignorance of people caused communication technologies outpacing the growth in available knowledge of a person.

Not one of our best characteristics of the current culture tools that's for sure.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A modern internet phenomenon where a person is ejected from influence or fame by questionable actions.
Do any of us have an inherent RIGHT to influence or fame ?

With advent of social media, it seems to be an adopted notion that all of us ... have a right to the SAME level of influence/fame ... as any other.

The truth is that our personal level of influence/fame is STILL dependent upon personal gifts ... and based upon the public's perception of us.

Also, we remain constricted by the constraints of the medium by which we choose to express ourselves. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Social media is one of the reasons why the Flat Earth movement has been renewed ... as there is little constraint on pro-FE voices, as influence has become based on popularity, ... rather than on expertise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think plenty of people are silenced with the cancel culture as they labeled it.

A modern internet phenomenon where a person is ejected from influence or fame by questionable actions. It is caused by a critical mass of people who are quick to judge and slow to question. It is commonly caused by an accusation, whether that accusation has merit or not. It is a direct result of the ignorance of people caused communication technologies outpacing the growth in available knowledge of a person.

Not one of our best characteristics of the current culture tools that's for sure.
Cancel culture victimhood is really about not observing established societal norms .... and/or violating a media owner's restrictions.

Such normalization of published work has always been in effect. If your views fall outside of established social parameters, ... your influence/fame tends to be restricted ... by virtue of public preference.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some people use guns to protect them from such injections.
And how is that working out for you guys? Does actual evidence support the protective value of guns? And I mean statistically significant data, not a cherry-picked anecdote.

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Completely incorrect. And obviously so.
Whenever you oppress the speaking of truth you limit freedom of speech. Whenever you cant tolerate the opinions of others you become a bigot.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And how is that working out for you guys? Does actual evidence support the protective value of guns? And I mean statistically significant data, not a cherry-picked anecdote.
You have more of a chance getting killed in a car crash than with guns. But you dont want to outlaw cars right?

• Agree
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You have more of a chance getting killed in a car crash than with guns. But you dont want to outlaw cars right?
Outlawed? no.
Because cars are dangerous machines I prefer them to be highly regulated; a license to operate, insurance requirements, registration with the government - you know the same sort of requirements that should be on all dangerous things.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whenever you oppress the speaking of truth you limit freedom of speech. Whenever you cant tolerate the opinions of others you become a bigot.
How does the fact that other people are biased limit your freedom of speech?

If I am biased, that it no way "oppresses" your right to say whatever you like.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
An invalid argument.

An eight-year knows that cars have a primary useful purpose other than killing. Not so with guns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You also did not address my question - what actual credible evidence is there for the protective value of guns?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Whenever you oppress the speaking of truth you limit freedom of speech.

So, if a president issues an order, forbidding government physicians from discussing abortion with a patient, is that limiting freedom of speech?

How about preventing a government employee from talking about classified information?

How about ordering an federal employee to ignore a congressional subpoena for her testimony?

Whenever you cant tolerate the opinions of others you become a bigot.

If I publish a newspaper, and refuse to print the opinions of some people, am I a bigot?

If I have a restaurant and tell a person that they cannot in my restaurant, loudly discuss the sexual misconduct of our president, am I a bigot?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you think these people represent the GOP you are wrong.

More precisely, they represent Trump's base. Not every Trump supporter is a Nazi or hates Jews, blacks, and Hispanics. But those who hate Jews, blacks, and Hispanics are the core of his support.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just because a white guy starts something doesn't mean minorities cant join it. Look at the beginning of the republican party who apposed pro slavery, KKK democrats.

Not surprisingly, when the democrats under Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act, racists fled to the republican party and minorities joined the democrats, where they remain.

Blacks joined the republican party just as they are joining it now again.

You've been badly misled about that. Notice the "movement" that blacks were supposed to be following away from the democrats was actually the invention of a white guy, and has been mostly promoted by Russian bots on social media.

Blacks and Hispanics are a lot smarter than you seem to think they are.

83% of African Americans say Trump is a racist
A new Washington Post-Ipsos poll finds that 83% of African Americans across the country believe President Trump is a racist and he's exacerbated the country's race problems while in office.

The big picture: African Americans are optimistic about their own personal lives, but are worried about their communities as a whole, the Post writes. Many said they hope to limit Trump's presidency to one term.

The poll's findings:

• 65% of African Americans said it a "bad time" to be a black person in America while 77% said it's a "good time" to be a white person.
  • 9 out of 10 disapprove of Trump's overall job performance.
New poll: 83% of African Americans say Trump is a racist - Axios

Black Americans' increased motivation to vote next year stems from an intense opposition to President Trump and a belief that he "has been a disaster for our country, and we need to do everything we can to vote him out," according to the survey.

• Most respondents said they believe Trump's election has emboldened people with racist views to express them publicly.
  • Their second most common motivating factor: "Voting is the best way to make my voice heard in our government," according to the survey.
Exclusive poll: Black Americans motivated by Trump to vote in 2020 - Axios

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Truthfully, I was shocked when I first witnessed, at a Democratic State Convention, how racist a lot of them were.

"Conservatives should feel some embarrassment and shame that we are outraged at instances of racism now that it is easy to be. Conservatives — though not Republicans — were often at best MIA on the issue of civil rights in the 1960s. Liberals were on the right side of history on the issue of race. And conservatives should probably admit that more often."
Jonah Goldberg, in the National Review
Lott Lesson | National Review

Now that the democrats are largely liberal and the republicans largely conservative, it's not surprising that racists were shouting "Hail Trump" and the KKK holding victory parades for him.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, but then no one cries "You will regulate my car when you pry my keys out of my cold dead hand!" either. :wave:
tulc(just a thought

Upvote 0

Need answers

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
✟19,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Conservatives should feel some embarrassment and shame that we are outraged at instances of racism now that it is easy to be. Conservatives — though not Republicans — were often at best MIA on the issue of civil rights in the 1960s. Liberals were on the right side of history on the issue of race. And conservatives should probably admit that more often."
Jonah Goldberg, in the National Review
Lott Lesson | National Review

Now that the democrats are largely liberal and the republicans largely conservative, it's not surprising that racists were shouting "Hail Trump" and the KKK holding victory parades for him.
You need a history lesson.

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.