Centurion
Visit site
✟356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive]1Sam 1:5 From Different Translations[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](ASV) but unto Hannah he gave a double portion; for he loved Hannah, but Jehovah had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](BBE) But to Hannah he gave one part, though Hannah was very dear to him, but the Lord had not let her have children. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](CEV) But he gave Hannah even more, because he loved Hannah very much, even though the LORD had kept her from having children of her own. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](Darby) but to Hannah he used to give a double portion, for he loved Hannah; but Jehovah had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](DRB) But to Anna he gave one portion with sorrow, because he loved Anna. And the Lord had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](ESV) But to Hannah he gave a double portion, because he loved her, though the LORD had closed her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](GB) But vnto Hannah he gave a worthy portion: for he loued Hannah, and the Lord had made her barren. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](GNB) And even though he loved Hannah very much he would give her only one share, because the LORD had kept her from having children. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](GW) He would also give one portion to Hannah because he loved her, even though the LORD had kept her from having children. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](HCSB) But he gave a double portion to Hannah, for he loved her even though the LORD had kept her from conceiving. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](HNV) but to Channah he gave a double portion; for he loved Channah, but the LORD had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](KJV) But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](KJVA) But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](KJVR) But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](LITV) And to Hannah he gave one double portion, for he loved Hannah. And Jehovah had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](MKJV) But to Hannah he gave one double portion, for he loved Hannah. But Jehovah had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](MSG) but he always gave an especially generous helping to Hannah because he loved her so much, and because GOD had not given her children. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](WEB) but to Hannah he gave a double portion; for he loved Hannah, but Yahweh had shut up her womb. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](Webster) But to Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah; but the LORD had rendered her barren. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](YLT) and to Hannah he giveth a certain portion--double, for he hath loved Hannah, and Jehovah hath shut her womb; [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive][font=Comic Sans MS, cursive](KJV+) But unto Hannah2584 he gave5414 a259worthy639 portion;4490 for3588 he loved157(853) Hannah:2584 but the LORD3068 had shut up5462 her womb.7358[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive]And waht actually happend looking at Strongs:[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS, cursive]H639; aph From H599; properly the nose or nostril; hence the face, and occasionally a person; also (from the rapid breathing in passion) ire: - anger (-gry), + before, countenance, face, + forbearing, forehead, + [long-] suffering, nose, nostril, snout, X worthy, wrath.

Hannah sacrifices the nose part, the same part that God breathed into in Gen 2:7 of Adam.
[/font]
[/font]

Genesis 2:7 KJV+
And the LORD3068 God430 formed3335(853) man120of the dust6083 of4480 the ground,127 and breathed5301 into his nostrils639 the breath5397 of life;2416 and man120 became1961 a living2416 soul.5315

Now I know why she offered what part.

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I noticed that the original post used a lot of paraphrases. I like my Comparative Study Bible with four direct translations, NIV, KJV, Amplified, and NASB. NASB is my least favorite translation, and I don't like paraphrases at all, but that's just me.

Upvote 0

thewordcoza

Feb 18, 2005
Centurion
Visit site
✟356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jiminpa said:
I noticed that the original post used a lot of paraphrases. I like my Comparative Study Bible with four direct translations, NIV, KJV, Amplified, and NASB. NASB is my least favorite translation, and I don't like paraphrases at all, but that's just me.

As the original post attempted to indicate, sometimes the translators miss it in trying to convey what the Holy Spirit said. The sample used indicated that even a word based translation as the KJV sometimes do not reflect the original Greek or Hebrew in English correctly.

The best is to go into the original language itself and check the meaning of the words used. Now even here you can become confused with the different dictionaries for Greek and Hebrew when they differ. Since I am not a Greek or Hebrew scholar I then use the different translations to get an understanding of their perspectives, the use of tenses etc.

I would not discount all bibles paraphrasing from the outset, simply because they are more thought based than word based, since we all have to translate the words from whatever bible we read into thoughts in any case. Personally I believe that you can take the KJV for example and a scripture from it and ten pastors might give you ten thoughts from it, all with the potential of being Godly inspired thoughts.

Having said that though, I would agree that the preferred option is using a word based translation as your "base" bible.

Upvote 0

thewordcoza

Feb 18, 2005
Centurion
Visit site
✟356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but I do not have those bibles. I have a number of bibles, most of them in my mother tongue. I use e-sword and since they are not made available to e-Sword I dit not incude them.

Would someone (or several) that have these bibles post 1 Sam 1:5 from these for us? I wonder if any bible translated 1 Sam 1:5 in such a manner that one could read in it that it was the nose part (live receiving part) that was sacrificed?

Thanks in advance

New American Bible
New English Translation
New International Version
New King James Bible
New Living Translation
New Revised Standard Version
Revised Standard Version

Upvote 0

staugustine68

Greyhounds as pets
Dec 11, 2004
St. Augustine, FL
✟9,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the NLT version of 1 Sam 1:5 -

But he gave Hannah a special portion because he loved her very much, even though the LORD had given her no children. (NLT).

The NIV version of 1 Sam 1:5 -

But to Hannah he gave a double portion because he loved her, and the LORD had closed her womb. (NIV)

Upvote 0

Bethshaya

Argh!
Feb 21, 2005
Connecticut, USA
✟8,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The orginal word that you are looking at in Hewbew is 'aph. While it could be translated as meaning "nose", it also means "worthy" or "longsuffering".

So I do not thing Hannah sacrificed her nose portion, she sacrificed a worthy portion...something God valued and honored. Nose doesnt make sense in this passage.

Upvote 0

thewordcoza

Feb 18, 2005
Centurion
Visit site
✟356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bethshaya said:
The orginal word that you are looking at in Hewbew is 'aph. While it could be translated as meaning "nose", it also means "worthy" or "longsuffering".

So I do not thing Hannah sacrificed her nose portion, she sacrificed a worthy portion...something God valued and honored. Nose doesnt make sense in this passage.

I do not think you have read the original post.

This word is the same word used in Genesis where God breathed life into man.

Hannah's womb was lifeless. She offered the nose part of the offering in order to plant "a seed" for life in her womb.

The worthy and angry comes from the value of the nose (needed to have life) and from snorting in anger.

So the translations are not entirely incorrect but the message does not come through without the understanding that it was the nose part.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.