Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just realized it, hearing a chirping ground squirrel, that if you turn your head so that the sound is *evenly* heard in both ears, it points your eyes and nose in the *exact* direction of where the sound is coming from, so that your sight and smell senses can hone in as you approach.

If your ears weren't evenly placed, it wouldn't put your sight in line with the sound you're hearing.

Reactions: Jonaitis

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I think sensing direction is the reason. I've also heard that is why lizards do "push-ups" when you approach them. They are trying to hear/see you from two different points to better determine your range and direction.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did you know that your left ear is more attuned to music and the right is better at picking up speech-like sounds?

Try putting an earbud in your right ear, then your left. Which ear is more attune to your music?

Reactions: JohnEmmett
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
the *exact* direction of where the sound is coming from
That does not work for me anymore. Esp with ecco's it is difficult to know where sound is coming from. Also with my defibrillator. If I miss an appointment they turn an alarm on go off every day and I have to go in for them to turn it off.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I just realized it, hearing a chirping ground squirrel, that if you turn your head so that the sound is *evenly* heard in both ears, it points your eyes and nose in the *exact* direction of where the sound is coming from, so that your sight and smell senses can hone in as you approach.

If your ears weren't evenly placed, it wouldn't put your sight in line with the sound you're hearing.
Owls have ears at different heights in their skulls. It helps them locate sounds. So not being in line with your eyes isn’t such a big deal.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

We have two ears and one mouth so that we will listen twice as much as we speak.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,869.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure why this is in Non-Mainstream and Controversial science, since the stereo nature of hearing is a well established fact. However @Landon Caeli has missed the primary function of ears, which is to stop your spectacles falling off.

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

In practice I agree but from two points there is always a center. So regardless where our ears/and eyes are our brain would eventually figure it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
An additional point, as to why we have two ears and only one mouth, Perhaps a suggestion that we should do more listening than talking.

Yes, that's very good. And consider how much worse the obesity epidemic would be if we had 2 mouths.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0