Why I quit P and W band?

Sep 23, 2014
✟7,651.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I quit our church's Praise and Worship band after 3 1/2 years for one simple reason: I got sick and tired of dealing with egotistical worship leaders.

Yep, there is such a thing in this world. Plenty has been written about it too. Egos, young or old, have NO place in worship teams.

Shortly before my wife and I were married (we both had been divorced many years) we attend prenuptual counseling sessions with the pastor who was going to marry us. We both decided to attend her church as she had a long and wonderful history with her church. I was delighted to finally find a church home.

During the counseling sessions our pastor found out I was a semi-professional drummer with a day job but played drums on the side with several bands. I played begining in 6th grade - 12th grade plus a season with a drum line/marching band in college. Plus plenty of pickup and garage bands. I play rock, blues, r & b, country, jazz, classical, etc. I've played on several local CDs, etc.

He was delighted as the praise band needed a full-time drummer for Sunday morning worship services and he almost begged me to join the band. After some thought, I decided to volunteer (it wasn't a paid gig, I was donating my talents).

For almost 4 years I played in the P and W band and rarely missed a Sunday or rehearsal. When I did, it was usually a work or family event that I needt to tend to.

We had a great band and we got many compliments. I enjoyed playing with musicians who were better than I was. It's one of the ways you grow as a musician. More importantly, everyone worked well together to enhance the worship service and we all understood our roles. Our music wasn't the message. The sermon was the message.

Late last year, our wonderful worship leader took a job at another church and left a vacancy that we needed to fill.

Without the church or the band getting the opportunity to vote, we were presented with our new leader. Oh boy! Trouble almost from the very start. Arrogant, egotistical, demanding, a speech "his way or the highway", etc.

It didn't matter that most of the band members were much older and had years of experience over him. It was clearly * his * band and if you didn't agree with him, there were consequences....

After some rumblings and words of concern from other band members, twice a church elder pulled the band and audio team aside and told us to put OUR egos aside and give it a chance to work. Realistically I wasn't aware we HAD egos. I certainly didn't notice any egotism from the other band members or audio crew. Aparently, someone forgot to tell that to our new leader. In fact I was surprised he could fit his massive ego inside the sanctuary, to be honest.

After several "almost" clashes over style, song arrangement, technique, etc. I decided I'd had enough. Where once there was wonderful collaboration, improvisation and free flowing ideas under our old worship leader, under our new leader all that was gone. Like he said in his first rehearsal, it's "his way or the highway".

I came home from one rehearsal one evening totally mad. That next morning I woke still mad at the guy and decided right then and there to quit. Life is too short to deal with egotistical jerks. Playing music is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Under the new leader, I wasn't having any fun, much less getting any enjoyment from it. I felt my creativity was stiffled and I was being micro-managed.

I told several church elders the real reason I was quitting and was asked to reconsider. I told them I had to quit immediately for fear of saying something or doing something I would later regret. Seriously.

This nonsense is the 2nd time something like this has happened to me while playing for a church. Years ago I was attending a church and playing in the praise band for 7 months. I auditioned and got the gig after seeing an advertisement for a church needing a drummer. It fit my situation perfectly. I was wanting to find a church to attend and play music. The worship leader who brought me on was a wonderful man who led from the piano. Very smart and kind and he was a genious when it came to music. Unfortunately his job required him to move. His replacement? A cocky, egotistical hippie dude left over from the 60's. All he knew was 60's rock and roll guitar and tried to pretend he knew praise and worship music and tried hard to pretend he knew how to lead a band. When he found out I had more education that he did, had a better job than he did, made more money than he did, had a wider musical background than he did, he petitioned the pastor to allow him to bring in his own drummer from another band. A friend of his. Apparently I intimidated him. Both he and the pastor didn't have the guts to tell me they were replacing me; they got another praise band member to tell me. And it was never told to me "why" I was being replaced. My friend and fellow bandmate who told me the bad news claimed he didn't know either. He was shocked himself. The "worship leader" and the pastor were too chicken to talk to me and tell me themselves, or even explain their reasoning. They got someone else to do their dirty work.

My story is not unique by any streach of the imagination. I have plenty of musician friends who have experienced the same thing. Some young, cocky, egotistical kid right out of school several years comes along and thinks he knows everything about everything and has the attitude to go along with it.

This will probably be the last church praise and worship band I play in, unless we move churches (can't see that happening), or our worship leader situation changes.

I'm in my 50's now and simply will not put up with egos of any kind anymore. Music or otherwise.

Cheers!

Last edited:

iplay4JC

Isa. 54:17
Nov 1, 2009
USA
✟7,782.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yikes, your situation is nearly identical to the one my bassist friend experienced 3 years ago! While it wasn't as turbulent as yours, it seems overnight the new P&W Leader purged the Team of its "seasoned musicians/vocalists" I.E. believers in their 40s and 50s.

Although he's no longer on the team, he and his family still fellowship there. Consequently he's on rotation at another church although it's nearly 25 miles away.

I feel for you bro". In your situation it's obvious the P&W Leader is the problem. It's unfortunate the church leadership there chooses to be passive about the situation.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2014
✟7,651.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Thank you iplay4JC. It's got me pretty bummed at times.

My wife even went on a Ladies retreat and the worship leader's wife was there and asked her why I am no longer playing in the P&W band. Though she knew the real reason and supported me 100%, she couldn't tell the truth directly to her face.

A few of the church elders know the real reason. I'm not sure when the problem first emerged with others being upset something wasn't said then to the responsible parties. Instead I'm afraid it's like Corporate America, 1 person runs people off but nothing is done about it by management, who instead keep supporting the problem for whatever reason.

I'm not sure what on earth they are teaching kids in college nowadays, but I fully believe a course or two on humility and humbleness should be a requirement if one chooses to enter the ministry or music ministry. It seems now these kids want nothing more than a stage on which to perform and pretend they are rock stars. The "look at me and what I can do" mentality. It's like they have an attitude and think the entire congregation is there to see THEM perform! Unfortunately, nothing is further from the truth.

Anyways I'm rambling. I appreciate your kind words and honesty. Thank you!

Upvote 0

iplay4JC

Nov 1, 2009
USA
✟7,782.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you iplay4JC. It's got me pretty bummed at times.

I'm not sure what on earth they are teaching kids in college nowadays, but I fully believe a course or two on humility and humbleness should be a requirement if one chooses to enter the ministry or music ministry. It seems now these kids want nothing more than a stage on which to perform and pretend they are rock stars. The "look at me and what I can do" mentality. It's like they have an attitude and think the entire congregation is there to see THEM perform! Unfortunately, nothing is further from the truth.

No worries, I totally understand your situation and agree with your assessment. In fact the part I left out about that "new" P&W leader is exactly what you've described above. Seems that person just graduated from a school of worship and was immediately given the role. While that certainly is an accomplishment, I don't think it means that person's been gifted with leadership experience.

IMHO I don't believe that person is mature enough to manage the role. That's evident to me after the purging of the seasoned vets I.E. I don't know how to communicate to mature musicians so I'll bring in people my age. The sad part about that is, her replacements lack the skills to lead worship. As a favor to my buddy, I listened to several of their live streams on Sunday mornings. Sadly I couldn't listen for too long. It's interesting that his comments matched what you posted. They're up there to be seen to their peers. Seek how cool I look up on the platform!

Hang in there bro'. God has everything in His control and knows your heart and what you're experiencing. This may be a season for you to be still and wait until He opens an opportunity to get involved again. Keep your chops up and keep looking upwards!

Upvote 0

BeforeThereWas

Seasoned Warrior
Mar 14, 2005
Midwest City, OK
✟10,560.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The biggest problems with what is perceived as "praise" and "worship" within organized religion is first and foremost, those two words are NOT synonymous. They are NOT interchangeable.

Worship isn't something one turns on like a light switch after walking into a special purpose room filled with just the right mood music, lighting, etc. For those whose lives are not already defined by worship on a daily, moment by moment basis, there is no hope that they will have any form of worship that is acceptable before the Lord when attening churchianity. Worship is NOT ritual, it is a WAY OF LIFE. Walk in empty, and your worship will remain empty. There's no magical bucket waiting to pour out upon those not living worship on a daily basis, which suddenly energizes them into becoming what they are not on the outside of that place.

Praise is also an ongoing way of life for the true follower of Christ Jesus.

BTW

Upvote 0

iplay4JC

Nov 1, 2009
USA
✟7,782.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The biggest problems with what is perceived as "praise" and "worship" within organized religion is first and foremost, those two words are NOT synonymous. They are NOT interchangeable.

Worship isn't something one turns on like a light switch after walking into a special purpose room filled with just the right mood music, lighting, etc. For those whose lives are not already defined by worship on a daily, moment by moment basis, there is no hope that they will have any form of worship that is acceptable before the Lord when attening churchianity. Worship is NOT ritual, it is a WAY OF LIFE. Walk in empty, and your worship will remain empty. There's no magical bucket waiting to pour out upon those not living worship on a daily basis, which suddenly energizes them into becoming what they are not on the outside of that place.

Praise is also an ongoing way of life for the true follower of Christ Jesus.

BTW

:confused:

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMO the praise band and its leader should be squarely under the authority of the pastor and elder board. In our congregation the WL is one of the elders. I am the fill-in guy if he is gone and I am a deacon.

That avoides the WL setting up his own littly fiefdom with the problems listed in the OP. Arrogance and self-promotion are really ugly in any part of the Christian life - even more so in "worship." But us musicians seem especially prone to fall into that pit. It is the job of the pastor and elders to discipline that out of anyone in a congregational ministry.

Upvote 0

iplay4JC

Nov 1, 2009
USA
✟7,782.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is the job of the pastor and elders to discipline that out of anyone in a congregational ministry.

Amen to that. Unfortunately it appears the leadership where the OP fellowships chooses to be passive about the situation.

There's no way I'd serve with a WL whose philosophy was "his way of the highway". That's not Christ-like nor does it portray any spiritual maturity by the WL.

My two cents...

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thats too bad, but it is more common than you might think.
I have seen it, but our new leader was really a tech guy who could happen to lead worship fairly well, so he got the job. He's young and just married. No ego that I can find. Guess we're lucky.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have seen it, but our new leader was really a tech guy who could happen to lead worship fairly well, so he got the job. He's young and just married. No ego that I can find. Guess we're lucky.

I would say you are blessed, not lucky.

It's sad to read of unpleasant experiences with some worship leaders who are so up on themselves. In our church we are blessed with a very gifted, very wise worship leader who is also an elder. He shares the responsibility of leading the worship with 3 others, all of whom happen to be women. Age wise we have school children and people up to their fifties.

For those who feel their God-given talents are redundant I pray He'll give you the opportunity use them to bring glory to his name.

Gillian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread has been cleaned of off topic posts. Please remember these rules:

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Phil Bartlett

Jun 5, 2016
Sydney, Australia
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seems as though you've had a difficult and unfortunate time. Rather sad really when you think it is in a Christian setting. Sometimes the real person is revealed when they get a little "power". I have been in 4 different W & P teams over the past 5-6 years (but this was due to changeing churches for positive reasons not because of the band members etc). Anyhow on one or two occasions I've come across Worship Leaders who go on a bit of an ego trip, seem disorganized and treat the musicians like they are hired hands (their backing band so to speak). Oh boy! Nevertheless, I ignore their poor attitude and do my job best I can and remember I'm playing my instrument for God.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too true.
our new leader was really a tech guy who could happen to lead worship fairly well, so he got the job. He's young and just married. No ego that I can find. Guess we're lucky.
Is he someone with a specific calling on his life for worship leading?

Wow. this zombie thread is a real blast from the past. It was less than 2 weeks after I posted in this thread that I had to quit the congregation I was in.

Upvote 0