Why I left Christianity for Jesus (video and discussion)

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
@FireDragon76

I’m not into group think, people pleasing, seeking validation from others, or condemning unbelievers.

I was afraid of being a "none". Afraid of having no connection to the Sacred. But the Sacred is in each and every one of us, and you don't need a church for that. Indeed, it was the very institution that was cutting me off from a deeper realizing of my true self by telling me that Jesus was nothing more than a shell game for guilt and insecurity... things I dealt with long ago through psychotherapy.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was afraid of being a "none". Afraid of having no connection to the Sacred.

I’m not a none. They are typically those who have no connection with God at all. I look to the hills for whence comes my help. And I wouldn’t trade my fruit, blessings or favor for anyone’s dogma. :)

Upvote 0

Leroy Kattein

Thoughtful Living
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2019
Tulsa
Visit site
✟38,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that there would be no Christians if not for Jesus. How can those for Jesus not be Christians. To get to the point I had a Near Death Experience that showed me the love Jesus was teaching. So I try to follow His teachings in every way and forget about all the rites and rituals of modern Christianity. I don't think NDEs have been addressed in the Christian communities. There are literally millions of people who have experienced this glimpse of the afterlife, and had their lives changed. I am one of them.

Upvote 0

Leroy Kattein

Thoughtful Living
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2019
Tulsa
Visit site
✟38,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a vast difference between Religious Christians and Jesus Christians. When Jesus taught from the hillsides there was no religion. He taught Love . Unconditional Love. People made up the religions and there are thousands of varieties of them. If you follow what Jesus teaches you will quickly understand religions are not what Jesus taught. You will also be uplifted and joyous for your efforts. The teachings of Jesus are important. All the other religious rituals, beliefs, rites, and protocol are just fluff.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@FireDragon76 : I only just now noticed that you've changed your religion identification to "Other Religion". I assume that change is related to what you've been saying in this thread. Can I ask what religion you identify with now?

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Leroy Kattein

Thoughtful Living
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2019
Tulsa
Visit site
✟38,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I consider myself spiritual, but not religious. I still believe that religion can be a help to those beginning to understand why and who they are. I regret that often religion divides us rather than bringing us to the altar of Love. There is an awesome power in love.

w

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*Please note that this post is in the progressive/liberal Christianity group*

I came across this video today and thought it did a really good job addressing the problems within the religion and why people, whether they still be Jesus-followers or not, are entirely and thoroughly sick of it. (If you're coming into the thread as a conservative evangelical/fundamentalist with the intention of arguing and condemning everyone for not believing as you do, then please don't. Practically every other forum here on CF is available to you for that purpose.)

What I'd really like to have conversations about is how can we restore Christ into Christianity? Is "Christian" as a word too damaged to ever have any real meaning anymore when so many associate it NOT with the love and healing and restoration of Christ, but with hatred and bigotry and exclusion? Can we take it back to the extent that non-believers can really expect to *see* Jesus in those who witness in his name, or is it just too mired in politics and bible-worship and condemnation?

Anyway, here is the video link. Keep in mind if you are sensitive to such things that there are a couple places where the f-word gets used in an anecdote to describe what a homeless man was yelling when a church called the police on him. There is also a very cute dog in the video before the serious part gets started. :)

I don't have a problem with people thinking out of the box. I do have a problem with Christians cussing, and the bible does too. Also I watched two full minutes of this guy talking about Himself, in the title it says "Jesus" yet in two full minutes, that is 120 seconds of patience, There was nothing but himself. That told me everything I needed to know about how he views the world. Through the lense of the singularity of himself. He may have had wonderful ideas about Christianity and it's role in culture. And I am very interested in that. However the video to me was annoying. I am used to just reading the word. So listening to someone so consumed with self, is just really annoying to me. Anyway, like I said if you wish to talk about his talking points just post them, and we can discuss them. I am a fundamental christian, that just means that you believe the Bible word for word. And I am conservative, but not really a republican. Although I have voted republican in the last few elections for lack of better choices, but I am open to alternatives, I think bipartisanship is dangerous, and God fearing lawmakers are more important that what party they come from. Anyway, that is a little of my background, anyway. Welcome I hope that you find what you are looking for here at CF, I personally recommend other social media for spiritual enlightenment, as this forum can get real debaty (if that is a word).

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I consider myself spiritual, but not religious. I still believe that religion can be a help to those beginning to understand why and who they are. I regret that often religion divides us rather than bringing us to the altar of Love. There is an awesome power in love.

w
Jesus is love. Religion can be messy, but pure and undefiled religion is a good thing. But Christianity in general is moving away from religion toward relationship, which is good. But I am not sure that is exactly what we are supposed to be doing. For in being accepting many times we compromise conviction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums