Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
******PLEASE TAKE NOTE******* Before posting a reply, please take note that you have entered the realm of the EGALITARIAN forum. If you are not an Egalitarian Christian, please read this group's statement of purpose before posting. Thank you.

Watched this TED talk video a couple of days ago and really speaks frankly of the abuse and the dangers of "biblical" male dominance and fundamentalism. While she was part of a particular group, the abusive values of the group her family was in does not seem any different at all than conservative Evangelicalism in general and their twisted, contorted views of complimentarianism and male "headship".

Last edited:
Reactions: mkgal1

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
This is not representative of conservative Evangelicalism in the least and to suggest so is disingenuous at best

So I just imagine all of those threads that pop up here on CF practically ALL the time promoting the submission of women to men (there is yet another one going on right now in fact that I have been ignoring), the numerous threads about "female modesty" in dress, speech, and action, the ever-present, "Should women _________" sort of threads, the "different roles" excuse, the anti-feminism threads, and the list goes on and on and on.

So while most conservative Evangelicals do not live in closed communities like the one described in this video, the values that are promoted by conservative Evangelicals are in practically every way identical, so do not come in here and pretend that these values are not in any way representative of conservative Evangelicalism as a whole when there is proof practically everywhere on this site and elsewhre that they are practically the same.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
OK< Thanks for the info.
I just wanted to know what entity was so vocal against what is written in the bible

My apologies for giving you the benefit of the doubt that your question was in good faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I just imagine all of those threads that pop up here on CF practically ALL the time promoting the submission of women to men (there is yet another one going on right now in fact that I have been ignoring), the numerous threads about "female modesty" in dress, speech, and action, the ever-present, "Should women _________" sort of threads, the "different roles" excuse, the anti-feminism threads, and the list goes on and on and on.

So while most conservative Evangelicals do not live in closed communities like the one described in this video, the values that are promoted by conservative Evangelicals are in practically every way identical, so do not come in here and pretend that these values are not in any way representative of conservative Evangelicalism as a whole when there is proof practically everywhere on this site and elsewhre that they are practically the same.
There are extremes that were described as characteristic of this cult which are not typical of Evangelical churches such as not allowing pierced ears, not to mention things that would not be tolerated in an Evangelical church such as treating persons of color as second class citizens. So your claim that they are "practically every way identical" has no merit.

Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OK< Thanks for the info.
I just wanted to know what entity was so vocal against what is written in the bible

I think you do not understand. TED is a speakers forum that hosts persons presenting on a variety of topics. The opinions are those of the speaker, not the platform on which she speaks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
There are extremes that were described as characteristic of this cult which are not typical of Evangelical churches such as not allowing pierced ears, not to mention things that would not be tolerated in an Evangelical church such as treating persons of color as second class citizens. So your claim that they are "practically every way identical" has no merit.

Oh dear, it's the "What about pierced ears?" comeback while completely ignoring the point. Maybe you would be much happier returning to the conservative Evangelical forum than on this forum where even women and children (along with people of color) are considered as equals. :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Haven't been able to verify the claims here, but this may be some more info on the group she is talking about: An update about the Geftakys assemblies. Their article here seems solid though: Warning Signs.

I consider myself a conservative Evangelical, and I consider some of the rules she described as extreme, and not faithful to Scripture. There have been quite a few threads like you have described here, who have been posted by people who are mentally unwell, not developed in their faith, or both. Such people need spiritual, and in some cases, mental care. I would not consider threads by such people as representative of the views of their churches, with the exception of the long, preachy rant threads by people who claim to be pastors or elders.

• Informative
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear, it's the "What about pierced ears?" comeback while completely ignoring the point. Maybe you would be much happier returning to the conservative Evangelical forum than on this forum where even women and children (along with people of color) are considered as equals. :)
The point is you equated this cult with Evangelical churches. I simply pointed out to you that some of the points the speaker made are simply untrue of Evangelical churches. Thus the straw man argument is born.

Upvote 0

tbstor

Sifting through the unknowable.
May 23, 2020
Baltimore
✟28,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So while most conservative Evangelicals do not live in closed communities like the one described in this video, the values that are promoted by conservative Evangelicals are in practically every way identical...
Wouldn't you say that this is an important distinction? After all, all Christians (more or less) share the same values. The expressions or manifestations of those values can vary though.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The point is you equated this cult with Evangelical churches. I simply pointed out to you that some of the points the speaker made are simply untrue of Evangelical churches. Thus the straw man argument is born.

And the many more points that are the same?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Evangelical churches are not all the same. I suspect the speaker's sentiments can only apply to her frame of reference, not to every Evangelical church on the globe.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Wouldn't you say that this is an important distinction? After all, all Christians (more or less) share the same values. The expressions or manifestations of those values can vary though.

There was a time when I thought that most Christians shared (more or less) the same values, but I no longer think that's true in many cases. While we *like* to think it's true, and when it comes to very basic beliefs such as the Apostle's Creed, it is true to that extent, but actual practice varies so wildly that it may as well be different religions.

Upvote 0

tbstor

Sifting through the unknowable.
May 23, 2020
Baltimore
✟28,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...but actual practice varies so wildly that it may as well be different religions.
Practices may be different, but is not the goal of said practices to be more like Christ? I suppose you are right in that even something as fundamental as what it means to put on Christ is obscured.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While we *like* to think it's true, and when it comes to very basic beliefs such as the Apostle's Creed, it is true to that extent, but actual practice varies so wildly that it may as well be different religions.

Hello. Different 'churches' have different sources of authority, so it's perhaps to be expected. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Practices may be different, but is not the goal of said practices to be more like Christ? I suppose you are right in that even something as fundamental as what it means to put on Christ is obscured.

I often see a lot of talk about Jesus and the bible and "religious freedom" and that sort of political thing and definitely a whole lot about how *other* people (especially women) should behave, but not too much about sincerely desiring to be more like Christ and what that looks like in actual practice. Note that I'm not just speaking of CF here, but what the public face of Christianity (particularly Evangelical Christianity) looks like.

• Agree
Reactions: tbstor
Upvote 0