• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus — The Smackdown...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jan 12, 2012.

1. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,409
    Catholic
    Private
  2. Incariol

Incariol Newbie

+223
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Yes, that is called a non-Christian scholar of Christian theology. I've already said this. What you are describing is someone who is not a Christian, but has an academic interest in Christian doctrines.

3. simonpeter

simonpeter Newbie

+62
    Christian
    Single
    They are Christian because they accept the trinity, redemption by Christ, salvation through faith.

4. Incariol

Incariol Newbie

+223
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That isn't what you said.

"But you don't go to church, nor believe in any rituals and superstition. So you're not a religious Christian even though you continue to express a strong and growing interest in Christian theology."

What you described is blatantly not a Christian.

You might want to check which subforum you're in. OBOB is not a modernist place where Christianity is some mamby-pamby whatever-you-want-it-to-be relativist nonsense. I may have my disagreements with Catholicism, but they certainly got that part right.

5. simonpeter

simonpeter Newbie

+62
    Christian
    Single
    So a person isn't Christian even if he believes in Christ?:confused: must we necessarily go to church or follow specific rituals in order to be counted as one?

6. Incariol

Incariol Newbie

+223
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    You aren't much of a follower of Christ if you "believe" and yet refuse to be joined to his Church and participate in the Sacraments. So, I'd say your answer is "no, a person isn't" and "yes, you have to".

7. simonpeter

simonpeter Newbie

+62
    Christian
    Single
    Thanks for the clarification. Apparently, there are many (like the person in the video) who believe otherwise. And for good reasons.

8. whitetiger1

whitetiger1 Well-Known Member

+53
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    According to Christ, yes. It's not just enough to believe even demons believe as Christ said we have to go beyond that by doing as He commands. Moreover James through the Holy Spirit says that we must show works along with our faith. There is much more to being a Christian than belief

Screen Door, Rich Mullins - YouTube

9. tadoflamb

tadoflamb no identificado

+7,256
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I admit, I couldn't watch this video past the point where he say religion builds churches but neglects to feed the poor. At that point, I knew the man had no truth in him.

I find this irksome, because I'm a religious person. I love Jesus and my religion. They are what motivate me and give me the opportunity to serve those in need. I've spent no small amount of time, effort and resources doing just that, and in all my years of serving the poor, I don't remember the "I hate religion" types being any kind of a resource in that endeavor. To that effect, I consider the "I hate religion" camp worse than useless. They've become a detriment and a distraction.

*vent over*

10. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+25,047
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others