• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus — The Smackdown...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+24,609
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  2. benedictaoo

benedictaoo Legend

+7,169
    Catholic
    Private
    we are all religious being by nature... we all seek, look, want to find something, anything we can put our faith in, whether that be atheism or something else.

3. Vendetta

Vendetta Convert to the RCC

+96
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Sorry, I haven't been around a computer all weekend and just saw this. Got accepted into their law program, so I'm officially a Wolverine. I suspect I'll be making you sick a lot in the future.^_^

Ahh yes, the old "what is religion?" question. I keep swinging between "there is no such thing as religion" and...something else. Despite four years of my own in religious studies, the question eludes me still. But I think we can agree that whatever the guy is attacking in his video is basically an attack on what Christ stood for.

4. MoNiCa4316

MoNiCa4316 Totus Tuus

+1,563
    Catholic
    Private
    I saw this video too.. though I came across the blog article before I watched the video :)

I think that this guy is saying the right thing about Jesus but he's wrong about religion... he's talking about Phariseeism or lukewarmness, but is calling it "religion", as if religious people can't love God. I think a different term would have been better.

5. princess_ballet

princess_ballet Senior Veteran

+408
    Catholic
    Private
    ?Ah, congrats (I think?). I'm enjoying law school as a Spartan. :wave:

6. Michie

+24,609
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  7. simonpeter

simonpeter Newbie

+62
    Christian
    Single
    Some people are interested in theology, meaning they want to know more about God's nature, his attributes etc. They may not like religon, which is usually associated with rituals, rules, hierarchy etc. Nothing wrong with such an attitude. Even Leo Tolstoy was one such person.

8. Incariol

Incariol Newbie

+223
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    You are right, it is possible to be a non-Christian theologian. What is your point?

9. simonpeter

simonpeter Newbie

+62
    Christian
    Single
    You didn't understand the post.

10. StThomasMore

StThomasMore Christian Democrat

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    "christian by your facebook"

haha, cute

11. StThomasMore

StThomasMore Christian Democrat

+90
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    nm

12. Incariol

Incariol Newbie

+223
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Obviously. I think that just may have been why I asked you to clarify. :doh:

13. simonpeter

simonpeter Newbie

+62
    Christian
    Single
    Careful, you may hurt yourself.:)

Let's say you read the bible and expositions on it. You understand more and more about the Christian theology. But you don't go to church, nor believe in any rituals and superstition. So you're not a religious Christian even though you continue to express a strong and growing interest in Christian theology.

See, that was easy.:thumbsup:

14. Brooklyn Knight

Brooklyn Knight On a narrow road but not narrow minded

+174
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    Problem is Christ Himself also took part in those rituals and "superstitions." I mean, he was a Rabbi.

15. simonpeter

simonpeter Newbie

+62
    Christian
    Single
    Is there any evidence for this?

16. Brooklyn Knight

Brooklyn Knight On a narrow road but not narrow minded

+174
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    There is Him throwing out money changers from the Temple, celebrating Passover, having been circumcised, baptized, etc. Not only that, if He was a Rabbi, he'd have to know how to conduct in a Temple.

Christ had no problem participating in the religion of his Father, but these supposed Christians are irked over other Christians who belong to a certain religion and...celebrate Christ?

17. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,409
    Catholic
    Private
    Jesus always traveled to celebrate in the rituals. Passover is clearest, but He also went to celebrate Hannukah. At age 12 He was explaining scriptures. [His Bar mitzvah actually.]

When an infant He was circumcized and dedicated.

AND finally - He Himself established His Church - with His sacraments.
    We can receive His sacraments no where else but in His Church...such as His Body and Blood. This is not something anyone can do - as Tradition points out plainly through St Justin Martyr who criticizes the followers of Mithras who imitated the Church.

Sitting at home reading the Bible - without proper instruction goes against the scriptures themselves.

Peter said the weak and unlearned wrest the scriptures and the epistles of Paul to their own destruction....ie - in need of a teacher.
    And St Philip was sent to the Eunich to teach him.... and baptize him. Had it been a do it yourself job, the Eunich would have self taught the OT to himself... but the Lord sent Him to the man and to baptize him.

We are not islands unto ourselves... nor can we be, for scriptures warns against doing such things.

Christ established His laws and teachings on Peter. And told him to teach the others [Apostles and disciples] when He said 'confirm thy brethren' because this was an establishment of one teacher over all of them. It was said to last for all times. And indeed - Jesus chose a broken man - and transformed him via the Holy Spirit for that charism.

No where in all of scriptures do we see nor will find the idea to do it alone for ourselves for even St Paul says - 'do not be like the others who avoid the assembly..'
    IE - who do not come to hear and receive the Breaking of Bread - the Eucharist.

Everything in scriptures points to going out to the Church - who St Paul says we must take up our cases to the Church - who he says 'is the bulwark and pillar of truth.'
    None of which is to be confused with just the people - for Church means 'to go out' that is to go listen...to be instructed.

And clearly if we are to obey the prelates - that is the Bishops - as St Paul instructed - how do we do that at home rendering scriptures for ourselves?
    I could go, but i am sure you get it.

18. Michie

+24,609
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  19. Michie

+24,609
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  20. Michie

+24,609
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Jesus Didn't Come to Abolish Religion; He Came to Fulfill It...
    Every once in a while, a video unexpectedly becomes an Internet sensation, garnering attention all over the place and spreading like wildfire through the virtual world. Just this past week, a phenomenon of this type has emerged in the form of a slickly produced video of a 20-something-year-old man in a leather jacket half rapping...