abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've posted mine here: http://www.christianforums.com/t7799968/#post64883069

I picked the "debate" section of the Eastern Orthodox sub forum, in the hopes that our discussion can proceed without being pulled into another endless spiral of the kind it's already been pulled into here.

I would invite you, abacabb3, to respond with the goal of understanding each other's positions better. I invite anyone else who's interested, to observe the discussion I just posted, but not directly respond, only for the sake of keeping the discussion focused.

If anyone feels compelled to comment, I'm happy to interact more broadly in another thread back here on this forum, or elsewhere. :thumbsup:
I read this, and it was a very good response. I ask that others here take time to read both, to better understand both positions. Not surprisingly, I think the whole matter hinges upon how both sides understand Scripture.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
abacabb3 said:
I read this, and it was a very good response. I ask that others here take time to read both, to better understand both positions. Not surprisingly, I think the whole matter hinges upon how both sides understand Scripture.

New reply on the debate thread, for our scores of interested observers :)

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Thats the problem and why I can't interact much with EO folks. They have a fundamentally different view of scripture than I do. You cant argue from scripture with someone who does not hold to sola scriptura. Until that can be established there is no point.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Behe's Boy said:
Thats the problem and why I can't interact much with EO folks. They have a fundamentally different view of scripture than I do. You cant argue from scripture with someone who does not hold to sola scriptura. Until that can be established there is no point.

That...and we also don't make any sense! :)

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
When sharing the Gospel, do you interact with secular folks who don't have a similar view of Scripture to you?

Upvote 0

AndOne

Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That...and we also don't make any sense! :)

No - I understand you all most of the time.... If I look at where your coming from and realize a lot of time it isn't scripturally based it makes a little more sense.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When sharing the Gospel, do you interact with secular folks who don't have a similar view of Scripture to you?

When sharing the gospel I always refer to scripture. It is the final authority, the final truth, and the only way to the truth. There is no other basis on which to share the gospel.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Behe's Boy said:
No - I understand you all most of the time.... If I look at where your coming from and realize a lot of time it isn't scripturally based it makes a little more sense.

And when I understand that your definition of "scripturally based" is a reformed tradition, it makes sense to me too. :)

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have another reply issued in the "debate," but I do agree, if Scripture cannot be the agreed upon standard, then what is? Saint Maximus the Confessor instead of Augustine? Augustine instead of Saint Maximus the Confessor?

In the debate, we are arguing over what Clement was saying in his letter to the Corinthians. But, why does that letter have any authority where it is even worth debating over? That's what I don't get. If nothing has authority, then aren't we just agreeing with whatever we like? At least there should be some agreement over "only the Bible is authoritative, but the way you view it is wrong and here's why" or "the Bible and allthe church fathers are authoritative and don't contradict each other, and the way you view it is wrong and here's why." Heck, I would even respect someone would say "the Bible and Christian tradition or nice, but we do not have to hold every part of it equal to another, I have a philosophical view that God is loving and gracious, and not wrathful like the Bible teaches, and in view of that this is why you are wrong and what I believe is right."

There needs to be some honest conviction over what is truth to begin with. If what the Bible says is not true, than surely the fathers of the church and all of tradition have to be taken with a grain of salt to. And if that is the case, how are we even Chrisitans? I seriously don't get it.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have another reply issued in the "debate," but I do agree, if Scripture cannot be the agreed upon standard, then what is? Saint Maximus the Confessor instead of Augustine? Augustine instead of Saint Maximus the Confessor?

In the debate, we are arguing over what Clement was saying in his letter to the Corinthians. But, why does that letter have any authority where it is even worth debating over? That's what I don't get. If nothing has authority, then aren't we just agreeing with whatever we like? At least there should be some agreement over "only the Bible is authoritative, but the way you view it is wrong and here's why" or "the Bible and allthe church fathers are authoritative and don't contradict each other, and the way you view it is wrong and here's why." Heck, I would even respect someone would say "the Bible and Christian tradition or nice, but we do not have to hold every part of it equal to another, I have a philosophical view that God is loving and gracious, and not wrathful like the Bible teaches, and in view of that this is why you are wrong and what I believe is right."

There needs to be some honest conviction over what is truth to begin with. If what the Bible says is not true, than surely the fathers of the church and all of tradition have to be taken with a grain of salt to. And if that is the case, how are we even Chrisitans? I seriously don't get it.

Could you kindly tell me who is claiming that the Bible is not true, authoritative or worth believing? :confused:

Or that nothing has authority? I don't get where you're coming from in this response. I think you're missing the point of my responses entirely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

If you were a Christian living, say, in AD 150-200, with no access to a full Bible - including no reading access to the OT - no complete NT in the canon, and illiterate, what would be authoritative for you as a Christian?

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
When sharing the gospel I always refer to scripture. It is the final authority, the final truth, and the only way to the truth. There is no other basis on which to share the gospel.
Therefore, why do you have a problem interacting with Eastern Orthodox folks who have a different view of Scripture? I'm responding to your statement:
You argue from Scripture with non-Christians when sharing the Gospel, so why not use Scripture with EO people?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could you kindly tell me who is claiming that the Bible is not true, authoritative or worth believing? :confused:

Or that nothing has authority? I don't get where you're coming from in this response. I think you're missing the point of my responses entirely.

Let me elaborate.

What I am referring to is this comment:

The Bible is the CHURCH'S primary source, and by way of that, is the individual Christian's primary source. When anyone today picks up a Bible, what is he picking up? He's picking up one of many translations, of some interpolation of a multiplicity of copies of what may have been original documents. He's picking up someone's decision as to whether the Greek Septuagint was more or less faithful than the Hebrew Masoretic. He's picking up a canon of books that was settled across many centuries and disagreed on by many titans of Christian thought and piety. In other words, what he is picking up, is a bound volume of traditions. Yes, Scripture is God's Word, and is such because it simply is. But what we have, here in time and space, came to us mediated by many, many many people.

I went into some discussion of this as to why I believe the settled canon is Scripture in its own right (1. an argument from feeling and 2. an argument from tradition).

Other EO in the forum specifically said that the Scripture was in many ways insufficient, and if I read what they said and imposed that understanding on you I apologize.

However, as we can discuss back in the debate, if it can be agreed upon that the works of the Bible I am quoting are indeed God's word, then the debate should be over whether my interpretation (or translation I am working with) is correct; not over whether my reasoning is sound as to believing the Bible is the word of God.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you were a Christian living, say, in AD 150-200, with no access to a full Bible - including no reading access to the OT - no complete NT in the canon, and illiterate, what would be authoritative for you as a Christian?
Ireneaus (sp?) actually speaks about this issue. He spoke of "barbarians" that used oral tradition to discern between right and wrong. No one is saying that the only way to be a Christian is to know the Bible. The only condition the Bible speaks of is being preached the Gospel of Jesus (Romans 10:14).

So, in a conversation with a non-believer, I wouldn't bother quoting the Bible most of the time, because the Bible has no authority to them.

Now, to Christians, I presume they at least have some knowledge of the Bible. And, if they do, I will tell them why I believe what I do, based upon the Bible. When speaking to Catholics, or here EO, I will invoke as much as I know about the Church Fathers, to show that my interpretations of Scripture are grounded in tradition and not my own invention.

Now, in the debate, what I am not seeing being made explicit is how the interpretation of Scripture is incorrect from a linguistic standpoint, and generally, even from a traditional standpoint. We have argued over the interpretation of certain church fathers' works, however.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I went into some discussion of this as to why I believe the settled canon is Scripture in its own right (1. an argument from feeling and 2. an argument from tradition).

Yes, I recall that. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the settled canon is Scripture in its own right." Do you mean that the list of books agreed to as "settled canon" is equal in authority to the text of Scripture itself? If so, then since that list was not actually written down by an apostle, or even anyone who knew the apostles, by what standard do we judge the list as equal to scripture?

Other EO in the forum specifically said that the Scripture was in many ways insufficient, and if I read what they said and imposed that understanding on you I apologize.

I'm not sure I've seen any EO say that, so I can't comment. And this depends upon what we mean by "sufficient." The Reformers and counter-Reformers argued over philosophical nuances of "material sufficiency" and "formal sufficiency" and I'm not sure how much stock to put into those positions. Is the Scripture sufficient to tell us that Jesus is God? I think it is. Sufficient to tell us that he rose from the dead? Clearly. That Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three distinct persons and not three modes of one existence? Yes...but only if we also approach it with the same mind as the orthodox Christians of the early centuries who leveraged the Greek distinctions between "person" and "nature" which lent a framework by which one could say that yes, God can be both one and three at the same time.

Scripture is not sufficient to determine its own canon. Nor to provide a set of hermeneutical rules. Nor to definitively say which form of church government is best, or determined by God.

And when a dispute arises, even as they did well before the canon was completed, a Bible cannot be asked which party is correct. This is why I say that Scripture is the book of the Church. That Church must be identifiable by some criterion beyond just "right interpretation of Scripture" lest it be hopelessly circular.

However, as we can discuss back in the debate, if it can be agreed upon that the works of the Bible I am quoting are indeed God's word, then the debate should be over whether my interpretation (or translation I am working with) is correct; not over whether my reasoning is sound as to believing the Bible is the word of God.

The whole point of my responses to your post, and the Orthodox blogger's, is that we are not yet at the level of arguing over specific interpretations of Scripture. The accusation made against Calvinism was that it used a "dehistoricized Bible," one disconnected from the early context in which it was written, and distanced from the methods of understanding Scripture employed by those who even predated the canon. It makes no sense to get into discussions over election, or justification, until we address the issues of what Scripture is, and how it is to be used, and by whom, and who has the authority to determine when a view is right or wrong, on behalf of others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now, to Christians, I presume they at least have some knowledge of the Bible. And, if they do, I will tell them why I believe what I do, based upon the Bible. When speaking to Catholics, or here EO, I will invoke as much as I know about the Church Fathers, to show that my interpretations of Scripture are grounded in tradition and not my own invention.

Now, in the debate, what I am not seeing being made explicit is how the interpretation of Scripture is incorrect from a linguistic standpoint, and generally, even from a traditional standpoint. We have argued over the interpretation of certain church fathers' works, however.

I'll include this point in a longer response in the debate, when I have enough time to do so! But just to point something out:

To address the matter of whether an interpretation is right or wrong, based on use of language or tradition, requires enough of a "sample space" to base an informed decision. In the debate you said you believe you hold to the same traditions as the Church held for the first 70 years, before things "ran off the rails." I would respond that you in no way have enough evidence to know this. Because, the writings we do have from that era are (a) scant and (b) very inconclusive.

To take the issue of election, you've brought forward some quotes from Clement and Ignatius. You confidently say that you therefore have some basis for your calvinistic beliefs, based on these. But what do these passages actually tell us about how Clement or Ignatius understood election? Answer: nothing. They simply repeat the language of the New Testament. For Clement to remind his Corinthian hearers, basically, that they are elect not according to their works, is to do nothing more than echo that same theme as found in the NT. And Ignatius says nothing more, than to identify his Ephesian hearers as "elect." Neither writer says anything that can be cited for or against a Calvinistic, Arminian, Augustinian, or whatever position. They simply repeat the NT language without elaboration. This trend in the sub-apostolic fathers is pointed out by Church historian J.N.D. Kelly. I can find the reference later when I have time.

Since these writers simply echo the NT language, whatever context one reads into interpreting the NT, will also be read into interpreting these fathers, so that we can both and say "See? They agree with me!"

You also interpret the lack of writing on particular topics, to be indicative that nobody believed them or cared about them until they first appear in the 2nd century. Not much written on baptism? Clearly the 2nd Century guys ran off the rails with it, right? Nothing written on prayers for the dead until the 2nd Century? Holy moly, they must have made that up, too!

But where were the debates? Where were the cries of opposition saying "Irenaeus is crazy when he sees parallels between Eve and Mary," or "Tertullian is whacked out when he talks about us having a custom of praying for the dead, doesn't he know that's pagan!?" Nowhere, that's where. But when someone challenged the idea that Christ was God...something also not explained all that clearly in the sub-apostolic fathers...the Christian world went ape.

Your assumption that silence on certain matters equals "nobody believed it until then" is just that...and assumption. I would ask you to justify that this assumption is reasonable. And then tell me why I shouldn't assume that, since nobody really addressed the topic of justification in great detail until the Reformation debates in the 16th Century, I should not likewise assume that it was the Reformers who went off the rails?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll be brief in my answers so that the debate in the other thread won;t be detracted from.

Do you mean that the list of books agreed to as "settled canon" is equal in authority to the text of Scripture itself?
I think we need to avoid getting to out there with this, simply because you and I have the same list of books in mind. I don't see the need to get into this subject any further in this context, though it is worth exploring outside a debate context.

Yes...but only if we also approach it with the same mind as the orthodox Christians of the early centuries who leveraged the Greek distinctions between "person" and "nature" which lent a framework by which one could say that yes, God can be both one and three at the same time.

We are in agreement that the traditions of the church offer us a lens in which to understand Scripture. So, the Scripture is the authority and the traditions are the lens.

Scripture is not sufficient to determine its own canon.
Outside parts of Scripture that refer to other parts as "Scripture," yes.

Nor to provide a set of hermeneutical rules.
That depends. The Scripture sometimes offers clear interpretations or states certain things very plainly. But yes, tradition informs us of how we are to go about interpreting things. But, tradition is not monolithic, nor did is all appear right after the time of Scripture, which means there must be discernment in employing that tradition. It cannot be done uncritically.

That Church must be identifiable by some criterion beyond just "right interpretation of Scripture" lest it be hopelessly circular.
All the Church is, is the body of Christ. And the Body of Christ is told that Scripture is useful for teaching and no other specific source outside of the Holy Spirit.

The whole point of my responses to your post, and the Orthodox blogger's, is that we are not yet at the level of arguing over specific interpretations of Scripture.
Therein lies the problem. In your mindset, and perhaps the bloggers, unless someone adheres specifically to your whole body of traditions, the Scripture is completely incomprehensible. I think this is unfair. My wife and I were reading up on the nature of vision yesterday. Neither of us are scientists (my wife has an engineering degree, however) yet we can appreciate what we read and form some level of understanding.

So, even if you have a superior understanding Scripture to me, that does not render me totally incapable of reading it and getting anything out of it. And, if I were so inept, it would seem to me quite easy to pick apart what I speak of.

You say the way we read it is "disconnected from the early context in which it was written." You must be very well aware that much of your traditions are not as old as Christianity itself. And if that is the case, you can be disconnected as well, but instead of by 1500 years the figure may be 500 years. How do we know we are not disconnected? We return to the Bible.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the debate you said you believe you hold to the same traditions as the Church held for the first 70 years, before things "ran off the rails." I would respond that you in no way have enough evidence to know this. Because, the writings we do have from that era are (a) scant and (b) very inconclusive.

It's the only evidence we have. By the time of Ignatius, we are already so far away from the time of Scripture, if what he had written was much different there would be good reason to believe that enough time has passed for enough little things to be wrong that they can become big things.

You are too intelligent to believe if someone invokes a "belief" or "tradition" that cannot be found in Scripture more than 150 years after the time of Jesus, that this belief or tradition is not only extra-biblical, but possible an innovation. The word "innovation" is important. Clearly, given enough time, tons of innovations can enter the mix. And, those innovations can become aged and respected enough that it becomes hard to part.

One example, from the Roman Catholic tradition, is the "existence" of St. Christopher. Even though that church officially says now he is not even a saint, people will still hold onto St. Christopher pendants and such. What about all the innovations that an official church body has not reversed itself on?

Your assumption that silence on certain matters equals "nobody believed it until then" is just that...and assumption. I would ask you to justify that this assumption is reasonable.
Because the Bible is not short. There is a lot of detail to get a pretty firm understanding of what was believed in the first century. Then, logically, the orthodox writings of the first century don't stray to far from it. Even the extant quotations of Papias, with some out there stuff is not way out there. But given more time, you start getting stuff from Origen and others that is just way out there. So, with the passage of time, an unsurprising trend is easily visible.

Let's take an easy issue: was Paul married?

Ignatius says he was.

Clement of Alexandria thought Paul had a wife that was still alive during his ministry, saying: "Even Paul did not hesitate in one letter to address his consort. The only reason why he did not take her about with him was that it would have been an inconvenience for his ministry. Accordingly he says in a letter: "Have we not a right to take about with us a wife that is a sister like the other apostles?""

What does Paul say about himself?

"But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I" (1 Cor 7:8).

So, we don't like saying stuff like this about church fathers, but Clement of Alexandria, who wrote a mere 150 years after Christ's time, was totally off his rocker on this. He clearly made up a belief based upon an incomplete understanding of Scripture.

Now, 70 years before him (a mere 80 years or so after Christ) we see Ignatius saying something similar. But was Ignatius making the same claim? A different claim (i.e. Paul could have been a widower)? We don't know. Even then, Ignatius could have simply been wrong.

So, why should I trust these guys' innovations? I have no problem reading what they have to say about Scripture. Even Clement of Alexandria based his opinion about Paul's marriage on Scripture. But, because I have Scripture, I can disregard his obvious mistake.

What it seems like you would want to deny me is my ability to fact check the church fathers!

And then tell me why I shouldn't assume that, since nobody really addressed the topic of justification in great detail until the Reformation debates in the 16th Century, I should not likewise assume that it was the Reformers who went off the rails?

They might have. Time to start fact checking, let's break out our Bibles!

Upvote 0