• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Why hijab in Islam?

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by amorly, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Supreme

Supreme British

+444
    Protestant
    Single
    Very true. I remember that Saudi scholar who said that women should only ever unveil one eye in the burqa, because two eyes would be too seductive. And being seductive, some poor man may take it upon himself to sexually assault the woman, of no fault of his own.

2. amorly

amorly Newbie

+1
    Muslim
    Single
    Hijab is an obligation and a necessity for every Muslim woman
    In order to protect them from any harm or assault
    Veiled women that encourages you to respect them
    Women dressed in scandalous
    Encourage you to consider it rudely
    And access to
    The assault
    For perverts
    And their number many
    in Communities

Regardless of the laws
    yes
    The man also
    Must be inside
    Honor, integrity
    And high morals
    But
    Women are the other half to the man
    For adornment and should not be blatant
    Her clothes and entice men gross
    Because the man
    Humans is in the first place
    He has feelings and sensations
    We can not deny.

Veil
    Prevents bad ideas

-In America
    Cases of rape
    Of a woman or girl
    Every 6 minutes
    Western society
    Full of adultery, betrayal, sexual harassment and illegitimate children and family disintegration

إن نساء العجم يكشفن صدورهن ورءوسهن قال أصرف بصرك عنهن )) رواه الإمام البخاري

Holy Qur'an and the Hadith
    Constitution and the methodology for life
    Of the application and implementation
    At home benefit in this life and the afterlife
    Muslim does not go on the fancies
    But
    The commands of God in the first place
    God says in the Holy Qur'an
    (59) O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful

In ignorance
    Hijab for women with high-Shan
    Housemaid did not wear veil to signify that a simple

Veil something basically
    Not only in Islam
    But
    In Judaism and Christianity also
    By interpolating

‫النقاب كانت تلبسه أميرات أوروبا‬‎ - YouTube

Song of Solomon 4 "How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes behind..." NIV - Online Bible Study

Covering of the eyes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

וּלְשָׂרָה אָמַר, הִנֵּה נָתַתִּי אֶלֶף כֶּסֶף לְאָחִיךְ--הִנֵּה הוּא-לָךְ כְּסוּת עֵינַיִם, לְכֹל אֲשֶׁר אִתָּךְ; וְאֵת כֹּל, וְנֹכָחַת

"And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved" Genesis 20:16

Tzniut - Jewish Modesty: then and now - YouTube

http://www.12allchat.com/chatters/do.php?img=143939

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...18720282_159859037396787_414611_7626199_n.jpg
    There are many legitimate points about the Veil
    God willing,
    Will talk about
    Wait

Thanks to those who talk about the veil in decent
    This is your kindness

3. CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun Well-Known Member

+41
    Atheist
    Private
    You make it sound like Muslim cultures produce men who can't control their sexual attractions unless women wear blankets to keep men from being turned on.

Oh, wait.

4. fschmidt

fschmidt Regular Member

+15
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Thank you amorly for your posts. It is too bad that only Islam, Orthodox Judaism, and a few sects of Christianity have retained this wisdom. As you well know, the liberals posting to this forum are part of a rapidly declining culture that will soon be gone (in this century) due to their moral decadence. I hope that the moral religions see the common enemy of liberalism. Islam, Orthodox Judaism, and truly conservative Christianity have a lot in common and should support each other.

5. Booko

Booko Poultry in Motion

+86
    Other Religion
    Married
    Neither have I. Neither have I seen women do that since the 60s. What's your point?

In other words, you have nothing at all to say to disprove what I said about the history of pants being anything but male garments.

If you had any evidence you would've simply presented it instead of doing the dodge and weave.

Oh yes, because obviously there's something wrong with women. We're just evil foul temptresses and all that. And men are apparently unable to control themselves and that's all women's fault.

I'm assuming that's actually not what you meant, but I have certainly heard it from others...it's been said for centuries now. Millennia even.

The time for that attitude is long gone. Modesty is important -- for both genders. And finger-pointing never got anyone anywhere, oh, except for half of humanity being held back.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  6. Booko

Booko Poultry in Motion

+86
    Other Religion
    Married
    Generally speaking so people do not view others as sexual objects, but rather look at things like character and the spiritual nature of others.

And let's face it, sex drives are pretty strong and can be pretty darned disruptive. It doesn't mean everyone needs to be locked in a box, but the fact that virtually all cultures have people wearing some clothing might just indicate there's some utility in it.

Oh...and pockets of course.

7. Booko

Booko Poultry in Motion

+86
    Other Religion
    Married
    Precisely the point my Bosnian Muslim friend advanced as part of her argument -- it's a cultural holdover.

8. Booko

Booko Poultry in Motion

+86
    Other Religion
    Married
    Funny! I hadn't heard that before.

Apparently the Muslims in Bosnia have been visited by Wahabi Muslims from Saudi...and the Wahabis were pretty much told to go home..that would be putting it nicely, I think.

9. fschmidt

fschmidt Regular Member

+15
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Then you are going to an unusually good church. My point is that in most churches, a fair percentage of women dress immodestly, but this is almost never a problem with men.

That's correct. The issue doesn't interest me.

Modern women are one of the most inconsiderate groups of people in human history. They can't be bothered to concern themselves with considering the feelings of men. Modesty is important for both genders but in modern times it seems to primarily be a problem for women who seem to derive their entire self worth from flaunting their bodies in public.

10. Booko

Booko Poultry in Motion

+86
    Other Religion
    Married
    Amorly, truly I can see how at some times this would make sense.

But these days we have cops and men really can be expected to control themselves.

What is the teaching of Islam about men covering their heads, as you understand it?

I know in some cultures where Islam was the religion removing another man's head covering was beyond rude, and appearing in public with a bare head was cause for great shame.

Amorly, women get raped at the same rate no matter whether they are dressed modestly or not. Rape is not about sex it is about power.

For example, one of the kids I went to school with in my teens was arrested at 18 after having raped a 16-year old and a 70-year old woman.

You can't tell me he raped a 70-year old woman because she looked too sexy.

Yes, well I wouldn't disagree with that. And there's a definite link between children in poverty and family disintegration.

Traditionally it has been, yes. It's only recently that both men and women in the West have stopped wearing headcoverings. Even as late as the 1960s a well-dressed woman wore a hat and gloves in public.

I am happy to explore subjects like modesty, though on the subject of veils you must understand we are not likely to agree that women need to wear them now. Though if a woman is Muslim and believes that's what her religions says, far be it from me to tell her she should not. But I am not Muslim and my religion does not require it.

In fact one of the greatest heroes of the early day of our faith was a woman named Tahirih, who was known for her great purity, but removed her veil in public as a demonstration of the idea that Islamic law was now abrogated.

Obviously as you are a Muslim you will not agree with this, but I hope we may disagree agreeably at least.

Before Tahirih was martyred she said, "You can kill me anytime you like, but you cannot stop the emancipation of women."

It would seem she was right about that, though some parts of the world are getting a bit of a late start on things. But they will catch up, and who knows? Perhaps they will manage to do so without tossing out all notion of modesty but rather apply the idea equally to men and to women..for a change.

11. Rationalt

Rationalt Newbie

+87
    Deist
    Married

Seems the auto translator messed up.Cannot comment on this.

Purity of Hearts ?.No clue what you are talking about.

How on earth enslaving women and using them as sex slaves contributes to purity is beyond my understanding.

If the subject is about purity of "Muslim women" i dont see any evidence for that in Quran or Hadith(Muhammad's actions).

Let us see some quran verses about women(With emphasis on purity.

Quran 002.223 Your women are a tilth for you[ (to cultivate) so go to your tilth as ye will.

My comment:Purity of tilth ?..

Divorced women cannot rejoin her husband unless another man Tastes her sweetness.Now, that is some nice way of ensuring purity of women :D.

quran 2:230:And if he hath divorced her (the third time), then she is not lawful unto him thereafter until she hath wedded another husband. Then if he (the other husband) divorce her it is no sin for both of them that they come together again

Explanation of this verse in various hadiths:
    one sample:

Volume 7, Book 63, Number 238:

Narrated 'Aisha:

Rifa'a Al-Qurazi married a lady and then divorced her whereupon she married another man. She came to the Prophet and said that her new husband did not approach her, and that he was completely impotent. The Prophet said (to her), "No (you cannot remarry your first husband) till you taste the second husband and he tastes you (i.e. till he consummates his marriage with you)."

This is ofcourse necessary to keep wives in check since the husband can enjoy with 3 more wives and "slave women".

I cannot go through rest of this stupid auto translator.

12. Rationalt

Rationalt Newbie

+87
    Deist
    Married
    Allah of Quran is the one who is holding that culture :D.

had you reproduced my post in it's entirety (before making your supposed point) this point would have been obvious to you.

13. Jane_the_Bane

Jane_the_Bane Gaia's godchild

+3,181
    Pagan
    Legal Union (Other)
    UK-Greens
    You have to marvel at a cultural sphere that sexualizes the female body to the point where the very sight of her hair can pose a threat to onlookers.

Oh, sure, American culture isn't exactly mature as far as separating nudity from sexuality is concerned, either, treating the sight of female breasts like a fourteen-year-old boy would, but it's still not as insane as the Islamic sphere.

How many muslim believe that women in the west are raped by the hundreds each day, all because they are so foolish as to dress indecently and leave the house without a male protector?

Islam is HILARIOUSLY hypersexualized.

14. Jane_the_Bane

+3,181
    Pagan
    Legal Union (Other)
    UK-Greens
    Another thing that needs to be pointed out:

Exactly what qualifies as modest and what qualifies as nudity is *entirely* arbitrary, and differs greatly from culture to culture.

There's a nice graphic in a cultural anthropology textbook I've read, but I couldn't find it online:

An African woman and a European woman are standing right across from each other.

The European woman wears a suit with a knee-length shirt, the African a traditional garb that completely covers her legs, while her breasts are uncovered.
    The African stares at the exposed legs of the European, and the European stares at the African's breasts while both think: "Oh my goodness, that woman is NUDE! Do they have no SHAME?"

15. BruceDLimber

BruceDLimber Baha'i

+45
    Other Religion
    Married
    US-Others

I'm sure they rank right up there with people stupid enough to post knee-jerk condemnations of all liberals. :-(

Bruce

16. amorly

amorly Newbie

+1
    Muslim
    Single
    This is for your kindness

Yes you're right

Islam, Christianity and Judaism
    Of one source

allah

But
    Any person who is on the whims do not care about the words of God

17. roseglass6370

roseglass6370 Veteran

+46
    Christian
    Private
    I'll agree that Western women tend to overdo it a lot in terms of dressing immodestly.

Let's be honest: men are far more visual when it comes to sexual stimulation. It's nature, it's biology. Knowing this, it is really pretty messed up for women to flaunt themselves about in front of men wearing next to nothing. Yes, men should be responsible for their actions. Yes, men should not objectify women. But it makes it incredibly hard for them to do such things when an incredibly attractive woman is bending over in front of a man in a string bikini. That's like setting a cupcake in front of a four year old and expecting him not try some of the icing (i.e. expecting the man not to think impure thoughts or stare.) I'm not saying men should make excuses for bad conduct - but we women should do what we can not to encourage it.

Do I think hijabs are overdoing it? In Western cultures, probably. I don't know many Western men who get aroused just by looking at a woman's hair. But making an active effort not to flaunt our bodies about in a culturally appropriate context should be a goal. It really is a cultural issue. In the West, wearing a low cut shirt and short-shorts seems to cause issues for a lot of men when it comes to impure thoughts. I try to respect that. In Africa, maybe its showing off one's legs. They should respect that. Just use your common sense.

Also, for goodness sake, ladies have some self-respect. It's not just about men. We should have enough self-respect to dress in ways that don't just highlight our bodies but lend credence to our intelligence and personality too.

18. amorly

amorly Newbie

+1
    Muslim
    Single
    -Imposition of the veil, such as prayer and fasting .... And so on
    There is no freedom left in the commands of God
    The status of women in Islam is often the target of attacks in the secular media. The 'hijaab' or the Islamic dress is cited by many as an example of the 'subjugation' of women under Islamic law. Before we analyze the reasoning behind the religiously mandated 'hijaab', let us first study the status of women in societies before the advent of Islam.

1. In the past women were degraded and used as objects of lust

The following examples from history amply illustrate the fact that the status of women in earlier civilizations was very low to the extent that they were denied basic human dignity:

1. Babylonian Civilization:

The women were degraded and were denied all rights under the Babylonian law. If a man murdered a woman, instead of him being punished, his wife was put to death.

2. Greek Civilization:

Greek Civilization is considered the most glorious of all ancient civilizations. Under this very 'glorious' system, women were deprived of all rights and were looked down upon. In Greek mythology, an 'imaginary woman' called 'Pandora' is the root cause of misfortune of human beings. The Greeks considered women to be subhuman and inferior to men. Though chastity of women was precious, and women were held in high esteem, the Greeks were later overwhelmed by ego and sexual perversions. Prostitution became a regular practice amongst all classes of Greek society.

3. Roman Civilization:

When Roman Civilization was at the zenith of its 'glory', a man even had the right to take the life of his wife. Prostitution and nudity were common amongst the Romans.

4. Egyptian Civilization:

The Egyptian considered women evil and as a sign of a devil.

5. Pre-Islamic Arabia:

Before Islam spread in Arabia, the Arabs looked down upon women and very often when a female child was born, she was buried alive.

2. Islam uplifted women and gave them equality and expects them to maintain their status

Islam uplifted the status of women and granted them their just rights 1400 years ago. Islam expects women to maintain their status.

for men-

People usually only discuss 'hijaab' in the context of women. However, in the Glorious Qur'an, Allah (swt) first mentions 'hijaab' for men before 'hijaab' for the women. The Qur'an mentions in Surah An Noor:

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do."

[Al Qur'an 24:30]

The moment a man looks at a woman and if any brazen or unashamed thought comes to his mind, he should lower his gaze.

Terms Islamic hijab

?! :

A: The Islamic hijab must meet the 8 conditions as the scholars said, are:
    1 - Not to be a garment of fame.
    2 - and that is not brazen thin (ie, should not be transparent).
    3 - and that covers her all the body except his face palms.
    4 - and that is not in itself a decoration.
    5 - and not to be embodied for the body (ie, should not be tight).
    6 - and should not be perfumed with bakhoor.
    7 - and that does not resemble the clothing of the man.
    8 - Finally, that does not resemble the dress of kaafir women.

‫أحمد ديدات سؤال عن الحجاب‬‎ - YouTube

19. amorly

amorly Newbie

+1
    Muslim
    Single
    Your worss great
    Mind of an informed

20. Jane_the_Bane

+3,181
    Pagan
    Legal Union (Other)
    UK-Greens
    Is it possible that maybe, just maybe, you're holding them to a different standard?
    I mean: do them men in your community run around in loose-fitting clothes designed to hide the contours of their bodies? What about their hair? Do they cover it? Do you expect women to do so?