AZ
✟13,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings. I just joined and this is my first post. Admins please move if this is in the wrong spot.

Anyways, let me start by saying that I'd consider myself a Christian in that I believe Christ was here, was the son of God, died for my sins, and rose from the dead. I believe in those things after many hours, weeks, months of research from many sources outside of the bible.

However, the bible says a lot I simply don't believe in as it cannot be confirmed by any other sources. I know many believe whatever the bible says regardless of any other nonsupporting sources, I'm just not one of them.

I don't raise the above points to start a debate (been there, done that), but to maybe shed some light on why I have the following question.....

Why have faith? I have faith in God b/c I've seen Him at work in my life in more situations than I can count. Every time something supposedly bad happens I see how God put His hand in it and everything turned out OK. My life is very blessed, and I believe it's b/c of Him.

However, many people don't have my experience. Many people with a much deeper belief than me have horrible life circumstances. Anywhere from not making ends meet for the bills to having heads cut off, and everywhere in between, Christians are having a rough go of life.

From what I see having faith and being a believer really doesn't equal life being OK and having a decent life. That said, why have faith in God? More importantly, faith that He will do what exactly? It's easy for me to have faith when my loved ones are healthy, my wife and I are getting along, and all my bills are paid. I live in a nice home, in a nice town, etc. How could I possibly tell someone to have faith when their life is in shambles, or more to an extreme they're going to be put to death for their belief.

I've wondered this for years and finally thought I'd try to get some input. Thanks!

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because without faith, it is impossible to please God......

It is also important to note that Saying one has faith, doesnt always correlate to actually having faith.... And the exclamation "Just have faith" is not always the best advice for one in need.....as Faith is a gift, given in measures......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chrisRDBA

Feb 6, 2019
AZ
✟13,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because without faith, it is impossible to please God......

Thanks for replying. This makes sense to me, as I sit in my comfortable chair drinking my morning coffee. I'm about to get up and cook a big breakfast for my family, then spend the day w them as the kids are out of school today.

However, how could I explain this to someone else less fortunate? Let's take a persecuted Christian in a far away land about to have his head cut off for his belief. -- "Hey buddy, I know you're about to die a horrible death unfit for a dog, but have faith so God will be pleased."? Faith in what exactly? If I was in that guys shoes I honestly don't know that I'd get a lot of comfort from hearing this.

Again your idea makes sense..... to a guy in a really good situation.

Regardless of my above reply, I will definitely consider this throughout my day. It's really something to consider, thanks.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings. I just joined and this is my first post. Admins please move if this is in the wrong spot.

Anyways, let me start by saying that I'd consider myself a Christian in that I believe Christ was here, was the son of God, died for my sins, and rose from the dead. I believe in those things after many hours, weeks, months of research from many sources outside of the bible.

However, the bible says a lot I simply don't believe in as it cannot be confirmed by any other sources. I know many believe whatever the bible says regardless of any other nonsupporting sources, I'm just not one of them.

I don't raise the above points to start a debate (been there, done that), but to maybe shed some light on why I have the following question.....

Why have faith? I have faith in God b/c I've seen Him at work in my life in more situations than I can count. Every time something supposedly bad happens I see how God put His hand in it and everything turned out OK. My life is very blessed, and I believe it's b/c of Him.

However, many people don't have my experience. Many people with a much deeper belief than me have horrible life circumstances. Anywhere from not making ends meet for the bills to having heads cut off, and everywhere in between, Christians are having a rough go of life.

From what I see having faith and being a believer really doesn't equal life being OK and having a decent life. That said, why have faith in God? More importantly, faith that He will do what exactly? It's easy for me to have faith when my loved ones are healthy, my wife and I are getting along, and all my bills are paid. I live in a nice home, in a nice town, etc. How could I possibly tell someone to have faith when their life is in shambles, or more to an extreme they're going to be put to death for their belief.

I've wondered this for years and finally thought I'd try to get some input. Thanks!
Jesus said faith can be as small as a mustard seed and it can also be stated that this is where it starts. As a Christian grows and walks with the Lord their faith continues to grow even through hard times. This is called staying the course and enduring to the end. So why have faith? Without it there is no relationship between a person and their Creator, the Father. It is essential to have the first step..... faith that He exists.
Blessings

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

We have faith in God and look towards the resurrection of the dead. And hope to be with God which is to say a loving Father and be in heaven with him as family. A happy and joyful family.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for replying. This makes sense to me, as I sit in my comfortable chair drinking my morning coffee. I'm about to get up and cook a big breakfast for my family, then spend the day w them as the kids are out of school today.

However, how could I explain this to someone else less fortunate? Let's take a persecuted Christian in a far away land about to have his head cut off for his belief. -- "Hey buddy, I know you're about to die a horrible death unfit for a dog, but have faith so God will be pleased."? Faith in what exactly? If I was in that guys shoes I honestly don't know that I'd get a lot of comfort from hearing this.

Regardless of my above reply, I will definitely consider this throughout my day. It's really something to consider, thanks.

As a Christian we don’t live for prosperity in this world but instead looking forward to our rewards in the next world. Having your head chopped off isn’t the worst thing that can happen because I guarantee when that person appears before Our Lord who is welcoming him home with open arms he will be so glad that his murderer did Him the favor of ending his suffering and hardships in this world. Death is something to be happy about for a Christian.

On the other hand if the person doesn’t have faith in Christ he will suffer the worst possible punishment imaginable in the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One more thing..faith and belief are two sides of the same coin.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

kkamagwi

Feb 3, 2019
South Chungcheong
✟16,767.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why have faith? I had no choice - it was just given to me by God. Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful to have it. Faith has changed my life.

Upvote 0

Starpuppy

Jan 18, 2011
Singapore
✟15,405.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

sorry if i seem a little off, its 12am here and i need some rest :swoon:

Faith helps when you are down in the dumps, you are not alone. God sends angels to help you or He will provide a way

As you said, if you are happy when all goes well, is that really faith at work?
why have faith in God? More importantly, faith that He will do what exactly?

So what do you believe when the odds are stacked against you? Do you believe yourself? Thus the only way is He will show you the way out of this mess

How could I possibly tell someone to have faith when their life is in shambles, or more to an extreme they're going to be put to death for their belief.!

When someone is down, walk with them during their joys and sorrow. Jesus taught us that we love our neighbors in need

James 2-14-17(NIV) - 14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith o but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 p If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 q and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good 1 is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said faith can be as small as a mustard seed and it can also be stated that this is where it starts.

Jesus has said nothing positive about small faith......the phrase "Oh ye of little faith," comes to mind.

Mustard seed faith is the biggest, largest faith you can have.......akin to the faith an ant has that it can lift 50 times its own weight.

"faith the SIZE of a mustard seed," is an erroneous phrase that, unfortunately stuck....causing many to believe that can get things done with little faith mixed with a lot of doubt....

• Useful
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are assuming that because you have what you have, you got it made and other who dont have this, do not.

There are people who have ten times more than you who feel that they could not manage being in your life and dont know how you can.

Likewise there are those who have much less, who are more content with what they have than you are with what you have.....and therefore are happier.

There are those who want nothing more than to die for their faith to be present with the Lord......Those who take get joy in being persecuted for righteousness sake.

We have to realize that everyone do not want the same things.... Some value materials and cars and houses......other value health and wish to travel...being tied to no house or car.

We must be careful not to think that our possessions make us better off or worse off than those who have less or more than we.

All we need is Jesus and we have everything........ It is best that we pray for others to have the desires of their heart.....for their desires may be different from ours......

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

It is better to question and admit your disbelief than to pretend and parrot others. You can't walk in faith if your belief is shaky. What are you standing on? That other person's testimony won't help when your back is against the wall. You need something in your tank. Keep seeking the Lord and asking for clarity on the areas you're unsure of. He doesn't mind.

I concur. I suffered one year of spiritual torment and was delivered from it. So, it's easier for me to believe than the next person I suppose. I've also been healed twice. That adds to the other and deepens my faith. And I'm walking in God's favor too. Needless to say, I'm convinced.

There are many things that contribute to our suffering. Some is permitted by the Lord and others are the result of sin. It's impossible to know the root unless you ask and in many instances they haven't made the connection. Especially where sin is concerned.

Suffering can result in great faith because it forces you to confront your beliefs head on. It's easy to say you believe when it hasn't been tried. Comfort can be a test. Many fall away from when times are good. When you have a lot of ease in your life you must look to the Lord more than ever. It isn't difficult to slip into indifference or self-absorption. Compassion and humility are its remedy.

I came to faith through Judaism and believe in Christ. However, I am still a Jew. Do I see the outworking of God's word in my life as shown in the Old Testament? Yes. Am I walking in the fullness of Deuteronomy 28. Absolutely.

I believe my fortune is for a greater purpose as are my gifts and talents. I have been given much and that grace requires more output and responsibility. You're subject to greater temptations and warfare as a result. Everything under the heavens belongs to God. In His grace, He has chosen a path I'm meant to walk. My purpose and His will are aligned.

I believe we are given an ability to minister to others from our position. I have greater effectiveness with those who've shared my struggles or sin areas I've overcome. I'm a testimony to His faith and redemption. But I don't do that haphazardly. I've been given a burden for some issues and lack one for others. I focus on the things God laid on my heart and has equipped me to perform.

In the situations you've mentioned, I would seek the Holy Spirit's guidance. We must be mindful of the other person's moccasins. When we've never worn them our comments can appear callous or patronizing. That may not be our intention. Allowing the Lord to speak through you is best.

Christians were never promised prosperity or ease. Although that is the desire for many. We were told we'd carry a cross.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Why have faith?
God designed a way to distinguish between those who belong to Him and those who don’t, and it is called faith. Very simply, we need faith to please God. God tells us that it pleases Him that we believe in Him even though we cannot see Him. A key part of Hebrews 11:6 tells us that “he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” This is not to say that we have faith in God just to get something from Him. However, God loves to bless those who are obedient and faithful. We see a perfect example of this in Luke 7:50. Jesus is engaged in dialog with a sinful woman when He gives us a glimpse of why faith is so rewarding. “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.” The woman believed in Jesus Christ by faith, and He rewarded her for it. Finally, faith is what sustains us to the end, knowing that by faith we will be in heaven with God for all eternity. “Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls” (1 Peter 1:8-9).

According to the Bible, faith is essential to Christianity.
Without demonstrating faith and trust in God, we have no place with Him. We believe in God’s existence by faith. Most people have a vague, disjointed notion of who God is but lack the reverence necessary for His exalted position in their lives. These people lack the true faith needed to have an eternal relationship with the God who loves them. Our faith can falter at times, but because it is the gift of God, given to His children, He provides times of trial and testing in order to prove that our faith is real and to sharpen and strengthen it. This is why James tells us to consider it “pure joy” when we fall into trials, because the testing of our faith produces perseverance and matures us, providing the evidence that our faith is real (James 1:2-4).

www.gotquestions.org/Bible-faith.html

Consider Job. He had 10 children and was a man of great wealth. In one day, he lost all of his children, property, possessions and even his health, but he did not lose his faith in God. Though depressed enough to curse the day of his birth (Job 3:1–26), Job never cursed God (Job 2:9–10) nor did he waver in his understanding that God was still in control.

www.gotquestions.org/life-Job.html

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians were never promised prosperity or ease. Although that is the desire for many. We were told we'd carry a cross.

Not all account prosperity the same, and not all desire the same types of prosperity or to be prosperous at all.

What God does say is that He will give you the desires of your heart. So If prosperity is what you desire, however you interpret it, He can/will give it to you if you ask.

• Informative
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wonder, if you were in a car accident and your wife and children died, would you still have faith? What is your faith rooted in?

I would hope that if you took some time to think about why you have faith that it would actually be because you recognize that you're a sinner, that you need forgiveness of sin, and that the forgiveness you need can only come VIA the atoning work of Christ on the cross. Hopefully that's why you actually have faith.

I would say the answer to this is that our faith isn't rooted in hope for a comfortable life. Our faith is rooted in the hope of what is to come. The reason we can have peace and joy during tribulations is only because we have faith in what is to come. I can have a peace that surpasses comprehension and joy at all times because I know that in the end Christ will make things whole.

My peace, my joy, my faith - they're not rooted in the hope of a happy life now on this fallen and corrupted world. My faith and joy and hope are rooted in the promises of Christ for what is to come.

And just out of curiosity, what outside sources convinced you that Jesus was the son of God, actually died for your sins, and rose from the dead? And why would an outside source be more convincing to you than actual Scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

I don't know if this will answer your question or not but I thought I'd give it a go.

Three things:
1) everyone's personal reason for having faith might be a bit different so you'll always have varied answers to questions like this.
2) it is much easier to have faith in God when life is relatively easy while simultaneously not wanting to be dependent on him. Weird isn't it, how faith seems to come easy for us humans when we think we don't need God for anything?
3) I think harsh circumstances bring about faith because it is within those circumstances that we realize how delusional we were to ever think that we don't need God for anything and how powerless we actually are in life. When you hit rock bottom and have no way of climbing back up, faith is often all you have to go on because you've been stripped of everything else.

Upvote 0

chrisRDBA

Feb 6, 2019
AZ
✟13,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And just out of curiosity, what outside sources convinced you that Jesus was the son of God, actually died for your sins, and rose from the dead? And why would an outside source be more convincing to you than actual Scripture?

I should clarify -- outside sources have confirmed what the bible says on some of these points (that he was here, died, rose again) , and some I'm just taking in faith :wave:

So no it's not that outside source are more convincing, it's that they corroborate what the bible says. Like I said there's plent I'm simply not convinced of, but I'm good on these points.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"It's easy for me to have faith when my loved ones are healthy, my wife and I are getting along, and all my bills are paid. I live in a nice home, in a nice town, etc. "

If all this was taken away from you ... would you still have faith?

Upvote 0