✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Why Elites Hate

No small part of the attraction of identity politics is its usefulness in silencing those who do not hew to progressive orthodoxy. This dynamic is most visible on campuses, where identity politics is also most virulent. It’s no accident, in other words, that the mob at Middlebury resorted to violence to try to keep Charles Murray ; after all, he’s been called a “white nationalist.” In much the same way identity politics has led Democrats to regard themselves as the “resistance” rather than the loyal opposition.

The great irony here is that this has left Democrats increasingly choosing undemocratic means to get what they want. From President Obama’s boast that he would use his pen and phone to bypass Congress to the progressive use of the Supreme Court as its preferred legislature to the Iran and climate deals that made end runs around the Constitution, it all underscores one thing: The modern American progressive has no faith in the democratic process because he has no trust in the American people.

archive version: http://archive.is/Ct3T1

Last edited:

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Why Elites Hate

No small part of the attraction of identity politics is its usefulness in silencing those who do not hew to progressive orthodoxy. This dynamic is most visible on campuses, where identity politics is also most virulent. It’s no accident, in other words, that the mob at Middlebury resorted to violence to try to keep Charles Murray ; after all, he’s been called a “white nationalist.” In much the same way identity politics has led Democrats to regard themselves as the “resistance” rather than the loyal opposition.

The great irony here is that this has left Democrats increasingly choosing undemocratic means to get what they want. From President Obama’s boast that he would use his pen and phone to bypass Congress to the progressive use of the Supreme Court as its preferred legislature to the Iran and climate deals that made end runs around the Constitution, it all underscores one thing: The modern American progressive has no faith in the democratic process because he has no trust in the American people.

See, while I don't really disagree with what is said, I never quite understand why these articles aren't about how both parties are corrupt and don't want to follow the rules. Rah, rah, my side is best doesn't work when you go back to Bush and find him bypassing Congress and doing unconstitutional things.

Nor does it mention that the Congress was so corrupt that Republicans filibustered bills they introduced or nominees that they ended up nearly voting unanimously on. It's all the left. Pull the other leg.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
See, while I don't really disagree with what is said, I never quite understand why these articles aren't about how both parties are corrupt and don't want to follow the rules. Rah, rah, my side is best doesn't work when you go back to Bush and find him bypassing Congress and doing unconstitutional things.

Nor does it mention that the Congress was so corrupt that Republicans filibustered bills they introduced or nominees that they ended up nearly voting unanimously on. It's all the left. Pull the other leg.

I think you're putting words in the various authors mouths. Several of them are progressive sites and writers, they aren't pro-Republican. Also, the issue is how the Democrats are continuing to alienate middle America, why would it pull a whataboutism that had nothing to do with the topic on hand?

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My only real criticism of the article would be how they misspelled "Republican" so badly by spelling it "elites". :wave:
tulc(thinks people should spellcheck their writing a little better. :sorry:
Pictured: not elites

gallery-1462816039-donald-trump-1.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
See, while I don't really disagree with what is said, I never quite understand why these articles aren't about how both parties are corrupt and don't want to follow the rules.
OK, fair's fair, I suppose. Tell us about the college campuses where liberals are not allowed to speak and violence against them by their opponents is winked at by the administration.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
OK, fair's fair, I suppose. Tell us about the college campuses where liberals are not allowed to speak and violence against them by their opponents is winked at by the administration.

I've gone on record saying I don't like millennials and how they've hurt the left's causes with their idiocy. What more can I say about that? It always seems to be colleges or college aged people doing this nonsense and I'd like for them to be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Bunch of jerks who never had to learn how to lose.

That said, this article isn't solely about colleges and while I know why you'd like to focus there instead of what I said, seems a bit disingenuous.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I think you're putting words in the various authors mouths. Several of them are progressive sites and writers, they aren't pro-Republican. Also, the issue is how the Democrats are continuing to alienate middle America, why would it pull a whataboutism that had nothing to do with the topic on hand?

Until you added the link so I could read the entire article, I only had what you put up which I responded to.

Yeah, Democrats are being stupid. What else is new? They put up the worst candidate for President ever. I know this because that person lost to the second worst candidate ever.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought this article brought up some good things:
Middle America’s malaise helped Trump to victory, but he has no cure | Brookings Institution
For many whites, and especially for white men, a vote for Donald Trump was a cry of pain. Leave aside that most of Trump’s voters did not attend rallies, and that few live in the bizarre, twitterspheric world of the Alt-right. His successful wooing of white middle America, especially in the Mid-West, and of white less-educated men, helped him to win the Presidency.
Many of his supporters are in pain. Some might seem angry. But anger is just pain in disguise. The malaise of white middle America can be seen in trends for mortality, life expectancy, suicide and opioid use. Perhaps it is not surprising that the areas where people are turning to oxycodone are also the ones that turned to Trump. Trump out-performed Mitt Romney in counties with the highest levels of premature mortality, according to our own analysis.[1] Data from the relationship in the six states that went from the Democrat column to the Republican one—Florida, Iowa, Michigan[2], Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin—shows this correlation (counties above the line are those where Trump did better than Romney):
tulc(just a thought) :wave:

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've gone on record saying I don't like millennials and how they've hurt the left's causes with their idiocy. What more can I say about that? It always seems to be colleges or college aged people doing this nonsense and I'd like for them to be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Bunch of jerks who never had to learn how to lose.

That said, this article isn't solely about colleges and while I know why you'd like to focus there instead of what I said, seems a bit disingenuous.
Also rather blithely ignores the many reported instances of shenanigans at tribal right leaning colleges, but let's not digress.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Also rather blithely ignores the many reported instances of shenanigans at tribal right leaning colleges, but let's not digress.

There's a good debate to be had over colleges pushing agendas and not being open to the other side being presented. Now, that doesn't cover all issues because I wouldn't give flat-Earthers the time of day in a college classroom, but on social issues there are reasons to present what the other side believes. Both in right wing and left wing settings.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Is it just me, or is there a huge amount of irony in the author using Identity Politics ("elites") to bash Identity Politics?

Well, it's like "political correctness". Both sides have it. It's just for different topics.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's a good debate to be had over colleges pushing agendas and not being open to the other side being presented. Now, that doesn't cover all issues because I wouldn't give flat-Earthers the time of day in a college classroom, but on social issues there are reasons to present what the other side believes. Both in right wing and left wing settings.
Indeed. As noted previously, pretending it's only THOSE guys that do it, while WE are saintly and pure, is intellectually bankrupt.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
No, but I read the sample that you posted.

I'd encourage you to read the whole thing. It's not very long. And yes, the Progressives of the Democratic party are coming across as elites to your average joe at the moment. In my previous thread on the subject I had one guy go full Anna Kasperian about how they were better than Trump voters and I believe they got several likes out of that post. Look at the response in here. "What about Trump?!" "What about da mean Republicans under Bush?!"

As someone who would prefer both major parties to die right the heck off, I've no problem with the Democrats going the way of the dodo. I would, however, like them to understand why it happened, if it must.

There's not that many American Indian colleges to begin with. How many are even right-leaning?

Upvote 0