• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Elijah must return?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by SonOfHeaven, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:25 AM.

1. SonOfHeaven

SonOfHeaven New Member

+27
    Bulgaria
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Why Elijah must return again to the earth to be tortured and killed according to life of Elijah?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+8,585
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    because he never died to begin with.

3. SonOfHeaven

SonOfHeaven New Member

+27
    Bulgaria
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My priest said they have to settle accounts.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:59 AM
  4. ArmyMatt

+8,585
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    what accounts does he mean?

5. bcbsr

bcbsr Newbie

+1,223
    Christian
    Well, if for no other reason, to die. There are two people in scripture who haven't yet died. Enoch and Elijah. Elijah was taken up in a chariot of fire, as you know. Interesting that in the book of Rev there are two witnesses who end up being killed.

6. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+25,507
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    I agree. That is why I believe the two witnesses in Revelation are Enoch and Elijah.

7. SonOfHeaven

SonOfHeaven New Member

+27
    Bulgaria
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    He killed the prophets of baal.

8. ArmyMatt

+8,585
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    never heard of that. many of the OT prophets killed people.

9. SonOfHeaven

SonOfHeaven New Member

+27
    Bulgaria
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    1 Kings 18:40 And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

10. ArmyMatt

+8,585
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    right, but he wasn't the only one that did such things

11. EzekielsWheels

EzekielsWheels Well-Known Member Supporter

+558
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    This is an article that says Elijah did die but his main argument is that it is appointed for all men to die (but that doesn't necessarily indicate when) so I am not convinced, but it is interesting.

12. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,523
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The problem with this article is its claiming something no one is. No one is claiming Enoch or Elijah are immortal precisely why they will die.
    Elijah sending a letter decades later is proof he never died. This is also obvious in the OT where it makes clear he is to return before judgement day (Mal 4:5-6), the NT makes clear John the Baptist did not consider himself the actual re-appearance of Elijah (John 1:20-23). Furthermore Jews of today still set up a dinner spot for Elijah during the sedar. Jews believe Elijah mysteriously visits every jewish family during the passover.
    Now many interpreters of Revelation believed the two candlesticks were Moses and Elijah. This is because it was Moses and Elijah that appeared at the Transfiguration, and a persistently stubborn tradition among Jews that Moses never died but was taken away .
    Anyhow a good defense for Enoch is the very fact he will prophesy of the second coming of Jesus at a time of tribulation (Jude 1:14). Would have been odd that this was some oral tradition from the pre-historic era.

13. EzekielsWheels

EzekielsWheels Well-Known Member Supporter

+558
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    So where are Enoch and Elijah now then?

14. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,523
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Doesnt really matter, Christ said in my Father's house there are many mansions. There has been a tradition in the jewish religion of God taking people away before death (John 21:22, Heb 11:5). Here is one perspective:
    OODE