Why don't preppers ever use sprouting for carbs? No energy needed and can be eaten raw.

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
And Ruth’s demonstrates His perspective for the able. Was the grain delivered to her door? No. Were provisions given to Naomi before she gleaned? No. The bible doesn’t say that.

Ruth did her part. She heeded the practice for the poor. She wasn’t depending on others to work on her behalf or meet her needs.

There’s a difference between doing your part and filling in the gap with aid and never lifting a finger. Diligence is a fruit of the spirit. So is self-control.

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children…

~bella

I don't think we read that story in the same way. Yes, Ruth gleaned to support herself and her mother in law. Boaz took an interest and gave them extra grain. Later, at the urging of Naomi, Ruth tried to seduce him to meet their ongoing needs. The story has a happy outcome, but not because Ruth and Naomi were hard working and self sufficient.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Why some don't use sprouting? Earlier research listed the risk of foodborne illnesses so can see where that would impact some.

Quite right. The mitigating factor is, again, water supply. Clean water means clean sprouts. Water is also one of the biggest factors in rehydrating dried food and dealing with heavily salted preserved foods.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I’m not supposed to twiddle my thumbs and hope my family has my back or rely on a neighbor. They’re dealing with the same. I wouldn’t burden them. That’s irresponsible.

In my experience it is quite rare to find people who expect the world to fall into their lap or who are unwilling to lift a finger for their own sustenance. So rare it hardly bears addressing, aside from perhaps a fringe ministry. If you see it all the time, perhaps that is where the disconnect is coming from.

My point was never that we shouldn't do our best, but that our best looks different in different situations and either way is unrelated to whether or not we should have compassion on people in dire circumstances. Obviously, I'm in the prepper forum, and not just here to disagree, so my belief is that we should all do what we can to prepare for adversity.

As with our other conversation, this is probably not one that is most fruitful on an online forum. Too much room for misunderstanding and not enough for empathy. I wish you all the best, though. Your storehouse sounds quite impressive!

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I’m privy to much in my line of work. People admit things they’re reluctant to share with friends and family. They’re afraid of their response, ashamed, or bury it. They aren’t seeking my approval or trying to impress me. Getting it off their chest is easier.

Thank you for the insight into your experience. It sounds like you are blessed with people's vulnerability, in all its messiness.

I do the same for two reasons: Personal betterment and the necessity of engaging with people from different walks of life. My circle is fairly narrow. You can develop a skewed idea of life when everyone’s the same. To combat that I avail myself to other options.

This is something that I've struggled with. I know that I'm in a limited group and seek out different perspectives. Unfortunately, growing the type of relationships that lead to understanding is difficult.

We’ll understand the deeper meaning of psalm 23. You won’t grasp the fullness of the Shepherd until you know the sheep, his nature, and what a shepherd represents to them. Then you enter another dimension, go where you’re led, and place yourself in His basket. And everything changes.

May we all be blessed with the peace and belonging that God offers his flock at the banquet table.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
The larder is a work-in-progress. I began gathering alternative food sources several years ago while contemplating a move. It led me to courses and related sources for self-sufficiency.

I'm glad you had access to those resources. Growing up Mennonite, storing for winter was a common practice, even though my family of origin was a generation off the farm. I've wondered how easy it is for others to find the necessary information and support. State college extensions offices are very helpful, with each school having a different specialty.

We live in an area that has many options for groceries and household goods, so the pandemic short supply didn't hit as hard. It was still a good reminder and practice in how quickly things can go south, and what your fallback plans should be. Honestly, the biggest issue two years ago was the failure of the wild berry crop. Cultivated apples came through ok, but the foraging was dismal.

Unlike some, I don’t have a garden. There’s a community garden in the vicinity but the boundaries are small. I fall outside of them. But I reached out to inquire if plots were available. It’s in walking distance and wouldn’t be hard to manage. Hopefully they’ll allow it.

Lack of land in the city, or even some suburbs, is such a bummer. We thankfully have a garden plot not too far away and I plant colorful beans and herbs in some flower beds. I just got my first saffron harvest this year!

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
How did you handle it? Do you farm for profit?
We don't have the land to be self sufficient, let alone for profit. We're in a similar waiting space, trying to build the skills and discipline in anticipation of an eventual move. The wild berries were to be part of our plan to transition away from store bought alcohol. That's still a work in progress, but thankfully we can get decent local beer in reusable bottles. Not so much with wine.

A saffron harvest? Wow! Spill the beans.

If you can keep the squirrels and voles away, it's fairly easy. They're just a fall blooming crocus, hardy in zone six and up. Some sources say to mulch heavily in zone six. Every few years you dig them up and divide, so if you check garden groups or online marketplaces you can likely find corms for fairly cheap. If you buy through online distributors they'll charge quite a lot, but in a few years you'll have more.

For instance, we’ve moved away from flour and procure grain in its place. Ancient and heirloom is our preference.

We have some good local millers, but I haven't branched out much into ancient grains. Was it a big transition, or did you find it reasonable easy to switch?

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
U-Pick is an option. You gather what you want and haul it home.
I've gone to several, but it is difficult to find organic. Few things are as chemical free as the woods and hedgerows, as long as you can keep away from roadsides. When I can't find organic, for any produce, I use a ten minute baking soda bath. It's one of the more effective washing methods.

Thanks for the info. I don’t use enough to grow it.
For me it's mostly fun and functional landscaping. I can get greater quantities for less money at the discount groceries. However, my Grandmother grew it. That's enough to make me want to experiment. Sadly the corms she gave to my dad were eaten by voles.

I chose einkorn as our primary grain. Jovial has an all-purpose flour and numerous foods with einkorn. I used King Arthur and Bob’s Red Mill products in the past. We’ve moved away from modern wheat. Heirloom varieties are available. Many choose a secondary grain. But I haven’t decided yet.

King Arthur has been my main all purpose flour, but recently I found a local milled variety. I like rye, buckwheat, and others that I find on sale. My preferred store keeps all their flour in refrigeration.
What do you usually make with your grains?

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Mushrooms and coffee plants would yield a bigger return.
I've enjoyed shiitake logs for mushrooms. The slugs were my main competitors. Sustaining a coffee plant seems as exotic as a lemon tree. Best wishes for your projects.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
What is the benefit of soaking?

An article I read about removing pesticide residues from produce found baking soda solution was the most effective home treatment. This isn't the exact study I read, but does show proof of concept.
The efficacy of washing strategies in the elimination of fungicide residues and the alterations on the quality of bell peppers - PubMed
I prefer organic but tend to prioritize local and in season. Thankfully, I don't have to make that choice too often, but this helps me cover my bases for times when its one or the other. Mostly I just choose other produce until what I really want is available.

We cook them. I purchased a grain mill recently. The einkorn and future items will come from the local mill. I’m waiting to receive my order before buying. It arrives Friday.

Have fun with your grain mill!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
The problem is two-fold. The pesticides are in the soil and the seeds are probably gmo. Monsanto gobbled up a lot of companies. The dirty dozen list is the best guideline for non organic fruits and vegetables. Growth is a bigger deal for good sellers than less popular items.

EWG’s Dirty Dozen
  1. Strawberries
  2. Spinach
  3. Kale/Collard Greens/Mustard Greens
  4. Nectarines
  5. Apples
  6. Grapes
  7. Cherries
  8. Peaches
  9. Pears
  10. Bell and Hot Peppers
  11. Celery
  12. Tomatoes
The Clean 15 list includes produce that is least likely to be contaminated by pesticides.
  1. Avocados
  2. Sweet Corn*
  3. Pineapples
  4. Onions
  5. Papayas*
  6. Frozen Sweet Peas
  7. Eggplant
  8. Asparagus
  9. Broccoli
  10. Cabbage
  11. Kiwi
  12. Cauliflower
  13. Mushrooms
  14. Honeydew Melon
  15. Cantaloupe
*Note: Some sweet corn, papaya and summer squash sold in the United States are GMOs, so choose organic to avoid GMOs.

Save the image for a handy reminder. :)

View attachment 311402 View attachment 311403

Thanks for sharing this graphic. Their list has been very helpful to me over the years.

Pesticide contamination and monsanto's takeover of large swaths of our food supply is such an important issue.

Upvote 0