LDS Why don't Mormon missionaries hand out the tripple combination?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes and no---there is no way that any of us can judge the heart of another--That is between God and them. God makes the final decision. And sounding mainline Christian is what they aspire to. Bottom line though--is their basic believe is that God was a man before He was God, therefore we will be Gods----I really doubt that God is favorable to that idea. If we had not fallen, we would never have been able to have children so they have a sacred ceremony more or less celebrating the fall (they may word that differently, but it is what it amounts to) We are actual, physical children of God and the heavenly mother therefore we existed before being born and must come down here to acquire a human body in order to learn to obey God. We always existed eternally with God as "inelegances." Jesus Christ is the only Son of God---that never sinned. We are all His children though--including Satan who is the brother to Jesus. Only those that are married in the temple and have a sealed eternal wife (wives) can enter into the 3rd heaven (exaltation) and be in the presence of God and attain godhood and have spirit children. If one of their prophets should say that God has decided to reinstate polygamy--then it will be reinstated. Baptism must be performed by a Mormon priest in order for it to be valid. (The same holds for marriage to be considered an eternal marriage.) They have baptism of the dead for those who did not have it. Their priests are the only priests who have the keys of heaven and hell and are the true priests after the order of Melchizedek. You can not be saved unless you believe in Joseph Smith and his writings. All non-Mormons are apostates, gentiles. They alone have the trut
Each of the believes have been verified with quotes from their writings. You can go over the other threads and find the quotes yourself. They desperately try to sound Christian and will say something is not doctrine, or have been taken out of context--never the less, it is what they are taught and what they believe and when the whole quote is given, it is very much in context.
Does this mean they are not saved???--No way on this God's earth would I ever say such a thing. However, I fear for my stepdaughter and her family for the character of God is quite different than our Christian concept of His character and if you do not know God, He will not know you. This is not a matter of differences in interpretation. It is a whole other gospel, but it can take a whole lot of digging before you find out the truth of their believes--they do not discuss these truths with Christians if they can avoid them and they tell new converts very, very slowly and methodically.
I do not hate Mormons--I do not like their teachings. The people I've known have been kind, generous. It is teachings that we oppose, not the people themselves.

Your statement "we are actual physical children of God" should be "we are actual spiritual children of God before we get our physical bodies."

Some Mormons are married in their chapels for this life only. Not all Mormons are worthy by their works to enter the temple. Without a temple marriage, Mormons are barred from eternal life.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
On another thread, I have posted this story. I am a now retired UMC pastor. One day, the local Mormon bishop came to my office in tears. Our church had been attacked by other evangelicals for agreeing to send our bell choir to perform in the Mormon church across the street. The bishop apologized that we were falsely accused of such a performance, but I replied, "Well, if you really want our bell choir to perform in your church, I would gladly make this happen; and if other evangelicals want to attack us for this gesture, I would wear their criticism as a badge of honor. Christians need to learn to disagree agreeably." After this performance, the Mormons then explored the possibility of gaining admission to our ministerial association. Their request was initially rebuffed.

Then area churches were invited to a special Mormon testimony service on their Christian self-understanding. The various testimonials were virtually indistinguishable from evangelical Christianity on the miraculous power of faith and prayer, Christ's divinity and atoning death on the cross, the doctrine of salvation by grace through faith, and a high view of Scripture. We all realized that this program was based on selective doctrinal presentations to cater to evangelicals and Catholics. But it must be said that by evangelical standards their faith presentation was sufficiently orthodox to qualify them as truly saved Christians, regardless of what else they believe about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. The Mormons were ultimately accepted into membership in our regional ministerial association.

We are not saved by adherence to a detailed orthodox doctrinal statement. We are saved by grace through a life-changing relationship with Jesus Christ and through His atoning death on the cross.

I'm sorry that you were bamboozled by a Mormon bishop.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Only want to say the combo is commonly called 'the Quad' by Mormons, I am a former Mormon.

There is also a triple combination.

Mormon TripleHard_000_c_150.jpg

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
DOCTRINE:

1 Timothy 4
6If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained...

16Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Your statement "we are actual physical children of God" should be "we are actual spiritual children of God before we get our physical bodies."

Some Mormons are married in their chapels for this life only. Not all Mormons are worthy by their works to enter the temple. Without a temple marriage, Mormons are barred from eternal life.

Thanks--how do you manage to keep the little nuances so clear??!!

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I've run into Mormon missionaries a few times, and I've talked with them and done some research. Which led me to my question.

Most of the distinctive Mormon beliefs seem to come from the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price, rather than the Book of Mormon itself.

So why not hand this out rather than the Book of Mormon? I asked two female missionaries and they said that if you had a testimony of the Book of Mormon then all the rest falls into place, Joseph Smith, the Church etc. But this feels a bit like, "buy into this and we will tell you what you're buying into later"... that strikes me as deceptive. Especially when later you'll be told about secret temple ceremonies, God having wives, etc.

Or have I missed something?
Nothing different than other cults.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
So why not hand this out rather than the Book of Mormon?

To begin with, if you want to go ahead and read everything, it's out there for public consumption: Scriptures | LDS.org

That being said -

First things first. If a person doesn't believe the Book of Mormon, they won't believe anything else.

Plus, -> Scriptures - Deseret Book

At mass retail, a Book of Mormon is $3, while your average quad (all four books of canon) is $40.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I heard something interesting and would like to know for sure if this is accurate. Do the Mormons believe that no one but them have the authority to cast out demons? What is their believe about demons.
I am not trying to derail--or go off topic--can you give me some of their literature to check out, I am having a hard time finding it.

First I've heard of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
First I've heard of it.

So what is the church's stand on demons? The statement made was that no one but a Mormon bishop is authorized to caste out demons, but then it also said you don't believe in demons so it just didn't add up.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
So what is the church's stand on demons? The statement made was that no one but a Mormon bishop is authorized to caste out demons, but then it also said you don't believe in demons so it just didn't add up.

I'd have to look. It's just not a common topic of conversation, at least not in the circles I've been in.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I've never heard such a statement, and I'm pretty well read on things.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've never heard such a statement, and I'm pretty well read on things.

I think the guy was just blowing wind. You can't say that your church doesn't believe in demons, then turn around and say that only the priests can caste them out---makes no sense. I found some conversations with Mormons on another site--seems as though they do believe that we can invite them in and they can be exorcised by a priest. We'll just leave it at that--The guy was not being accurate which is what I wanted to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you read the other books first, you probably wouldn't read the Book of Mormon.
If one reads the Bible, there is no need to read the other three!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think the guy was just blowing wind. You can't say that your church doesn't believe in demons, then turn around and say that only the priests can caste them out---makes no sense. I found some conversations with Mormons on another site--seems as though they do believe that we can invite them in and they can be exorcised by a priest. We'll just leave it at that--The guy was not being accurate which is what I wanted to know.

"Devils are demons, the spirit beings cast out of heaven for rebellion. (Rev. 12:7-9.)"
Mormon Doctrine, p. 190

Helaman 13
Samuel the Lamanite prophesies the destruction of the Nephites unless they repent—They and their riches are cursed—They reject and stone the prophets, are encircled about by demons, and seek for happiness in doing iniquity. About 6 B.C.

37 Behold, we are surrounded by demons, yea, we are encircled about by the angels of him who hath sought to destroy our souls. Behold, our iniquities are great. O Lord, canst thou not turn away thine anger from us? And this shall be your language in those days.
38 But behold, your days of probation are past; ye have procrastinated the day of your salvation until it is everlastingly too late, and your destruction is made sure; yea, for ye have sought all the days of your lives for that which ye could not obtain; and ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity, which thing is contrary to the nature of that righteousness which is in our great and Eternal Head.
Helaman 13

Has there ever been a recorded exorcism conducted by the Mormon Church?

Has there ever been an exorcism conducted by the Mormon Church?

In the month of April, 1830, Joseph Smith was visiting at the house of a Mr. Joseph Knight, at Colesville, Broome County, New York. This gentleman had rendered the prophet some timely assistance while translating the Book of Mormon, and he was anxious that Mr. Knight and his family should receive the truth. While in Mr. Knight's neighborhood the prophet held a number of meetings. Among those who attended regularly was Newel Knight, son of Joseph Knight. He and the prophet had many serious conversations on the subject of man's salvation. In the meetings held the people prayed much, and in one of the aforesaid conversations with the prophet, Newel Knight promised that he would pray publicly. When the time came, however, his heart failed him, and he refused, saying that he would wait until he got into the woods by himself. The next morning when he attempted to pray in the woods, he was over-whelmed with a sense of having neglected his duty the evening before, in not praying in the presence of others. He began to feel uneasy and continued to grow worse both in body and mind, until upon reaching home his appearance was such as to alarm his wife. He sent for the prophet, who, when he came found Newel in a sad condition and suffering greatly. His visage and limbs were distorted and twisted in every shape imaginable. At last he was caught up off the floor and tossed about most fearfully. The neighbors hearing of his condition came running in. After he had suffered for a time the prophet succeeded in getting him by the hand, when Newel immediately spoke to him, saying he knew he was possessed of the devil, and that the prophet had power to cast him out. "If you know I can, it shall be, done," replied the prophet; and then almost unconsciously he rebuked Satan and commanded him to depart from the man. Immediately Newel's contortions stopped, and he spoke out and said he saw the devil leave him and vanish from sight.
Joseph Smith/Healings and miracles - FairMormon

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
To begin with, if you want to go ahead and read everything, it's out there for public consumption: Scriptures | LDS.org

That being said -

First things first. If a person doesn't believe the Book of Mormon, they won't believe anything else.

Plus, -> Scriptures - Deseret Book

At mass retail, a Book of Mormon is $3, while your average quad (all four books of canon) is $40.

Yes, I know - I was actually able to pick up a new leather bound volume with the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants in a second hand bookshop for £5. But I see online that they also have a paperback version too for £3.95 compared to £2 for the Book of Mormon alone - surely its far more cost effective to mass produce the tripple version, as it would mean that someone looking into Mormonism would only cost £3.95 rather than £5.95 (assuming at some point they will need the tripple, however, if these were printed on mass it would actually cost less than this to produce?).

What I find deceptive in this tactic is that if you present yourself as another Christian faith, and ask people to read and pray about one book (not that I think that is a test of truth), which in many ways isn't teaching anything very different to the Bible (I know there are significant differences, but nothing compared to the other two) then this is misleading.

I did some research, and the next time I ran into the missionaries I asked them to confirm if what I had read was true. I asked if they believe that God has a wife or multiple wives. Do they believe that Jesus is Satan's brother? Do they believe that they could become gods with their own planets with their own worshipers? They said yes to all of this. This is clearly very different. Yet none of that is taught in the Book of Mormon as far as I could tell (I have not read it all). And that is what I found deceptive. It seems to me that the Book of Mormon isn't really the source of the most distinctive Mormon doctrines. Surely that is what the Mormon Church should be giving people to examine up front?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
What I find deceptive in this tactic is that if you present yourself as another Christian faith
DW1980, Christ yanked me from the brink of death so many times- He is my Savior is so many ways, so many times. I love Him with very of my being, and devote myself to Him every minute as His disciple-- the Biblical definition of a Christian (Acts 11:26).

This is not deception, but a statement of fact. I cannot deny or lie about it, even if someone were to take my life for singing that joyful song:

"I believe in Christ; he is my King!
With all my heart to him I’ll sing;
I’ll raise my voice in praise and joy,
In grand amens my tongue employ.
I believe in Christ; he is God’s Son.
On earth to dwell his soul did come.
He healed the sick; the dead he raised.
Good works were his; his name be praised!"

Upvote 0