shouldn't intelligent wealthy people choose to have more children?

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
why don't intelligent well educated wealthy people have more children?
Because they have provided for their old age in other ways.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I got married at almost 36. We had our son eleven months later but it took me four years to get pregnant with my daughter. After that my husband didn't want any more kids. My daughter was born six weeks early and that kind of put me off of having more kids, and by this time I was 41. So between my education and pursuing my career, as well as idiocyncratic things that caused me to delay childbirth, I only got two. I think some of these things are typical of people who are educated. I also had two very intelligent friends who never had kids. One was painfully lacking in self-confidence and never married. I am not sure why the other woman never had kids but she married another really smart person and I don't think they tried to have kids. Maybe they were too into their careers but I am not really sure. Anyway I know you asked a broader question than why I didn't have more kids. Maybe working and being financially independent is more important to women with education (and student loans). Are you smart and educated, and how many children did you have?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Often it is because they see a need to help other people raise their kids. Lebron James is a good example. He likes to buy bicycles for kids that can not afford to buy one. Oprah sponsors a school in Africa where she helps young girls get an education that they can not afford to buy. They use their wealth to try to help others.

Ecc2:26 "To the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God."

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the process of becoming wealthy and well-educated leaves less time for having children.

Sometimes the same motives that drive people to become well-educated and wealthy are not the same ones that typically drive people to have lots of children.

Most people who are well-educated probably see having too many children as a mark of irresponsibility. If they want to change the world for the better, they are more likely to use means other than attempting to outbreed the masses.

And the social dynamics and expectations of their circles don't usually lend themselves to encouraging having many children for other reasons as well.

Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,007.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
why is populating the planet left to the worst and stupidest people?
Is it? The wealthy and well-educated aren't all intelligent or good. Most of them are just lucky. Take a look at the lives of all the proles who you assume are stupid and bad, and you'll see that most of them didn't have a chance to be rich and well-educatedfor that is how the world economy is designed. Meanwhile, look at the world's elite you'll see that their wealth makes them self-absorbed and their formal education often doesn't make them any wiser. In my country (America), a bunch of filthy rich Ivy League grads control Congress and the White House, and they're pretty much evil scum as well as literally the biggest idiots in the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps they've chosen to raise fewer kids well rather than a bunch poorly. Also it's pretty easy to become a slave to your kids if you have too many.

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

I'm not exactly Marxist, but in the good old days people had souls and weren't just judged according to economic productivity factors. Under todays capitalist standards tho, the soul can basically get out of town, which is a shame. Maybe I like liberation theology, and "conscientization" in that people can be made aware that they ought not be beaten down like that.

What is Conscientization | IGI Global

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
why don't intelligent wealthy people have more children?
Some do, others don't. However, people with money have better access to birth control, and education has a positive correlation with the choice to have fewer children. That is, when you are in a position of being able to control how many kids you have, and your occupation doesn't need you to have a lot of kids (such as a rural farmer; you need the labor), people are more prone to choosing to have fewer kids.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Deal with the devil:

The person offers his or her soul in exchange for diabolical favours. Those favours vary by the tale, but tend to include youth, knowledge, wealth, fame, and/or power.

Deal with the Devil - Wikipedia
Holy Spirit Interactive: The Seven Deadly Sins - Greed
Make a deal with the devil that makes everyone a Christian. Sacrifice yourself to save every other soul.

The idea of making deals with the devil is stupid. Anyone that thinks they could actually do it believes in souls, and believes theirs to be more valuable than any worldly thing and thus would never sell it. Anyone that doesn't believe in it generally wouldn't try.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the process of becoming wealthy and well-educated leaves less time for having children.
This could be the best answer. I dropped out of school to have a child because I meet a girl that wanted to have a child. I planed to finish my education but I was so busy trying to support and provide so that I never manage to finish my education. Women that have children in high school rarely go to college. They are just to busy providing for and taking care of the child to continue to work on an college education. I was a single parent & Single student fathers make up 11 percent of the student parent population. Working, going to school and taking care of a child is difficult. So I encourage people to finish their education before they have children.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0