Why don't I see love from many American Christians?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If this is considered an offensive question, then please delete, but I keep being confused by the version of Christianity I see from many conservative Americans. Growing up in the UK, my experience of Christians was of loving, endlessly forgiving and gentle people who always seemed to be striving to achieve their own self-admittedly flawed version of the the message Jesus gave them. They didn't judge, they always forgave, and they were just basically better people than most of us. I couldn't be a Christian because I don't believe in god, but I always had huge respect for these gentle, meek people who embodied something I instinctively knew was beautiful. The level of commitment and sacrifice to something they felt was greater than them was truly awe inspiring, despite me not believing.

Then I see so many American 'evangelicals' or conservative Christians who seem to spent their lives judging others, attacking their perceived enemies and embodying a message that seems to revolve around a love of wealth, power and hostility towards those who are weak and needy. I don't get it. I thought the whole message of Jesus was that to embrace the weakest and most vulnerable was the closest path to god?

I've read the bible and it doesn't seem like a complex message. Turn the other cheek, embrace those in need and don't hold yourself above anyone, especially the most humble. Yet I see people quoting random passages and twisting them to somehow say its ok to support violence or war, aspire to prosperity and judge others for their sins rather than leave it to god. It confuses me.

Am I missing something? Is Jesus not a messenger of peace and humility and an advocate for the poor and needy? How did the message of a man who bathed lepers and said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" end up being used to advocate for wealth creation and for pastors to collect money to buy private jets while the poorest in society go homeless and hungry, or die from lack of healthcare?

How did the message of a man who said "But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them" somehow end up being used to support gun ownership, a strong military and the use of violence against others?

Seriously, can someone explain this stuff to me please, because it leaves me dazed and confused.

Perhaps you have this impression given you are not actually part of a church. This is what conservative Christians actually do:

Here's just one example of a conservative Evangelical charitable organization's ministry:

Help Families Fleeing the Fighting in Mosul

Emergency Field Hospital Sent as Christmas Gift to Iraq

Loving Care for an Orphan | Samaritan’s Purse Gift Catalog

A Brighter Future for Ebola Widows

Women’s Programs

Crisis & Disaster Response

Feeding Programs

Health & Medical Ministries

Water, Sanitation & Hygiene

Children’s Heart Project

Putting a Stop to Human Trafficking

Deadly Earthquake in Nepal

U.S. Disaster Relief

Perhaps you did not know how giving Conservative Christians truly are in the USA. If so then I forgive you.
Or maybe you think we sit in church debating political issues . We don't. If your impression is Christian Forums then you are sorely mistaken. This is an internet chat site where people discuss politics and theology. It's neither church nor church ministry. For you to judge based on debate and discussion threads then your exposure is woefully incorrect and have no basis to make the judgments you do. But I will not judge you for coming to your conclusions. Many media and political elite poison the well and you in the UK get a steady stream of that sewage from the US. I'm sorry that happens.

If you truly want to explore Christianity just out of curiosity I highly recommend John Stott's book "Basic Christianity." He's a Brit by the way.

Attached is a free copy and hope you find the time to read it.

Attachments

• 9780830834136 (3).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Or you could maybe stop spending as much on the military as the next 8 countries combined, and look after sick people instead.

Yes the UK has a real obesity problem. Yet still 24 places behind the US..

List of countries by body mass index - Wikipedia

I agree to the first one. And at the very first, I want us to stop being the world's military, and just look after our own problems. That means is Europe explodes again, you're on your own. Best wishes with that.

Secondly, Europeans seem obsessed with Americans' weight, and that is absolutely not their issue. Why is that, I wonder? Just being judgmental about it, or what?

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea why you think those stats are relevant. You never said. I can not read your mind.
How can you "have no idea?" I make a comment about the "superior morality" stance of atheists and link to a collection with stats relevant to that and you "have no idea" why these would be relevant.
I will take that as a compliment. I am very happy to have my morals compared with many of the atheists on this site. They are clearly some very good people. Thank you.
Which statement also lacks sense, since without a substantive standard for morality to hold you to as the OP did for Christians, who knows what you mean by morality. Thus it is your responses that are irrelevant.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, amazing isn't it. If you had tried that the you would not have relegated it to Fox News.

Clearly the point of both my comment, as well as my mention of fox news, went straight over your head.

That point being that Fox News has a rather clear and not-so-secret political agenda. So their news is a very biased perspective. You can count on them to focus only on the problems that exist in things like universal healthcare AND to also blow those problems up to make them seem much bigger then they actually are.

The second point being, that this bias in such reasoning kind of becomes extra clear when your proposed google search is "problems and issues with...". Obviously you're going to get a list of problems and issues.

Likewise, I can also google things like
- problems and issues with christianity
- problems and issues with US politics
- problems and issues with brushing your teeth

You are bound to only/primarily get information about / focussed on "problems and issues with X".

It could be better in today's world, if run efficiently within a competitive system that fosters competition that works for the best price, versus when insurance pays for everything and thus a unit like an oxygen machine for humans costs between $550 and $2,000 when it likely cost about $50 to make.

That's the inevitable outcome when you privatise these things and degrade people's health to luxury products in a capitalistic system.

Prices in such competitive free markets DO NOT land / stabilize in terms of affordability for everyone. Instead, they land / stabilize in terms of "maximalization of profit margins" for the suppliers.

Wich means that if they can get higher profit margins by making it affordable for only 10% of the population, then that is exactly what they will do.

Why would you want to live in a society where your health (or rather: lack thereof) is the very foundation for the monster profits of third parties? Why would you want to live in a society where your insurance has an interest in NOT paying your medical bills, because that would result in higher profits?

Insurance companies do not want to pay out, you know... they prefer to only collect premiums. When you file a claim, they will do everything they can to avoid paying you.

This is your health that we are talking about. Your very life.
Not your car or your house or your laptop. But your very body.

And every hospital has to have their own latest equipment to do something like open heart surgery. In PBS article on this, it said in "all of Ontario there are 11 hospitals that can do open heart surgery. Pennsylvania has roughly the population of Ontario and it has a bit over 60 hospitals that can do open heart surgery." And that "Americans receive more medical care than people do in other countries."

Then there is the billions of wasted dollars in medical supplies. And the astronomical administrative costs of the present US health care, and not buying drugs in bulk.

Why health care costs so much and how fix it is still much a matter of debate.
Here is a popular analysis on it in Australia.

It is expensive. But i think they should train and license even car mechanics to xray and set and cast broken legs.

The fact of the matter is that the current system of the US has a HIGHER cost per citizen as opposed to countries with government-run universal health systems in place, while LESS people are covered, MORE people die from treatable conditions,... and where overall average health care for the average joe is simply of lower quality (all things considered: from accessability to the actual care to the waiting times).

It's just the way it is.

If you would actually compare the numbers objectively and without bias for either one, you'ld realise this.

I always have the same feeling on this subject as I have when discussing evolution with creationists...

It's one thing to not believe evolution theory, but it's a very different thing to simply lie/misrepresent evolution theory.

The same goes here...
It's one thing to have political (or whatever) objections to a government run system, but I don't see the point of simply lying/misrepresenting the actual numbers of such systems and/or only focussing on the things that go wrong while completely ignoring all the things it does well.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I agree to the first one. And at the very first, I want us to stop being the world's military, and just look after our own problems. That means is Europe explodes again, you're on your own. Best wishes with that.

Secondly, Europeans seem obsessed with Americans' weight, and that is absolutely not their issue. Why is that, I wonder? Just being judgmental about it, or what?

Given that I was only responding to an American talking about obesity in Britain, I’m not sure how that makes me ‘obsessed’.

• Agree
Reactions: A_Thinker
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I sometimes wonder why Europeans rail against US military presence around the world. The only reason the US is in the Middle East is to protect energy sources for Europe. They have neither the manpower nor logistics to sustain their own military in the MENA (Middle East North Africa) so we have to do it.

Our (US) energy needs are minimal from the MENA. It's Europe's life blood for energy sources (e.g. Germany imports 80% of its fossil fuels) and the other main source are the Russians. Go figure the hated Russians. ;)

Although Europe has done wonders on renewal energy they are still heavily dependent on fossil fuels:

Europe: More energy-efficient, but still import-dependent | Business| Economy and finance news from a German perspective | DW | 20.02.2017

I'm all for bringing our military home and protecting our own interests. However, do realize it is in our national interest to keep our allies secure. That is why we stay in the Middle East and frankly Europeans should be grateful for such a great ally in the USA.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Clearly the point of both my comment, as well as my mention of fox news, went straight over your head.

That point being that Fox News has a rather clear and not-so-secret political agenda. So their news is a very biased perspective. You can count on them to focus only on the problems that exist in things like universal healthcare AND to also blow those problems up to make them seem much bigger then they actually are.
Rather than this going straight over my head, it is the purpose of my response that went straight over your head, since the presumption that such problems were only that of a "very biased perspective" is exactly what I perceived, and thus I showed that such problems were not restricted to the likes of Fox, but reported on by liberal media as well. Even just a search of UK NHS will result in a NTY article as well as a CNN one reporting crises in the NHS. I am not search "UFO over the White House" or something.

Thus the presumption that such problems are only that of a "very biased perspective" was refuted.
The second point being, that this bias in such reasoning kind of becomes extra clear when your proposed google search is "problems and issues with...". Obviously you're going to get a list of problems and issues.

Likewise, I can also google things like
- problems and issues with christianity
- problems and issues with US politics
- problems and issues with brushing your teeth - ....
You are bound to only/primarily get information about / focussed on "problems and issues with X".

Yes? So this means that problems and issues with such things as US politics do not exist, or are only that of a "very biased perspective?" Instead, they are widely reported on as real and substantial problems and issues as the sources attest, and thus the OP himself acknowledged such and pinned the blame on government, meaning conservatives.

Thus all your attempts to impugn the credibility of such reports and of real and substantial problems is just so much futile denial. Not that my response was not that of rejecting NHS en toto, and problems and issues with American health care would also reveal substantial problems and issues, but my citing of such was to challenge the uncritical advocation of it, and thus with increased reliance upon government in general.

It could be better in today's world, if run efficiently within a competitive system that fosters competition that works for the best price, versus when insurance pays for everything and thus a unit like an oxygen machine for humans costs between $550 and $2,000 when it likely cost about $50 to make.
That's the inevitable outcome when you privatise these things and degrade people's health to luxury products in a capitalistic system.
Prices in such competitive free markets DO NOT land / stabilize in terms of affordability for everyone. Instead, they land / stabilize in terms of "maximalization of profit margins" for the suppliers. Which means that if they can get higher profit margins by making it affordable for only 10% of the population, then that is exactly what they will do.
I was referring to equipment anyone can but, but since about the only market for it is those whose insurance always pays for it then the cost is kept high, as would computers in a like situation.
Why would you want to live in a society where your health (or rather: lack thereof) is the very foundation for the monster profits of third parties? Why would you want to live in a society where your insurance has an interest in NOT paying your medical bills, because that would result in higher profits? Insurance companies do not want to pay out, you know... they prefer to only collect premiums. When you file a claim, they will do everything they can to avoid paying you.
That is a problem insofar as it happens, but of course, if you are going to pay for medical care, why stop there? With the cost of housing being the single highest cost to Americans (and Section 8 can raise the cost of housing on others). After that you can fund transportation, which also has reluctant insurance payouts. Then the govern,ent can by for heat and electric. Then when the government decides to treat politically incorrect citizens as terrorists, then it will be more effective in doing so.
This is your health that we are talking about. Your very life.Not your car or your house or your laptop. But your very body.
The appeal to my health for insurance is not very effective, for reasons i need not go into here, but i am sympathetic to the need of others, esp. kids, and might have died at age 7 if not for a hospital. Yet i hold that if you as an adult choose not to pay into the system then you should not burden others to pay for your care who did not want to.
The fact of the matter is that the current system of the US has a HIGHER cost per citizen as opposed to countries with government-run universal health systems in place, while LESS people are covered, MORE people die from treatable conditions,... and where overall average health care for the average joe is simply of lower quality (all things considered: from accessability to the actual care to the waiting times). It's just the way it is.
I have read the quality is higher, and wait times less here than in the UK.
If you would actually compare the numbers objectively and without bias for either one, you'ld realise this.
That is what the other side said, while i had provided findings from mainly liberal sources, as well as a page of mostly mainstream sources attesting to major problems with the NHS, yet which was dismissed, thus it impugns your appeal to objectively and without bias as supporting you.
I always have the same feeling on this subject as I have when discussing evolution with creationists..It's one thing to not believe evolution theory, but it's a very different thing to simply lie/misrepresent evolution theory..
You still have not evidenced your practice unbiased objectively. At least i had provided sources just before your post as well as the one for you. And again which really was not because I am defending American HC, but actually advocating unbiased objectivity versus only the one side i was hearing. And it is my opinion that liberal sources are as least as biased as conservative ones.
It's one thing to have political (or whatever) objections to a government run system, but I don't see the point of simply lying/misrepresenting the actual numbers of such systems and/or only focussing on the things that go wrong while completely ignoring all the things it does well.
l.
And just where have i engaged in lying/misrepresenting the actual numbers of such systems? And my focus on the problems was in response to what i saw as an uncritical advocation of the NHS, and if you wrote or referenced such i did not see it.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,216.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Most of this comes down to how one is raised.

Well not necessarily. I know plenty of lazy people and people who make poor choices who came from good homes that did not teach them that. And I know poor people who are very hard workers, but who just don't have the skills or natural talent to move beyond their current status.

But there are generalizations that do hold true. If you are raised in a lazy environment, you are probably going to be lazy. If you are raised by parents who love a life based on poor choices you are probably going to do the same. Not always, but more often than not.

• Informative
Reactions: PeaceByJesus
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How can you "have no idea?" I make a comment about the "superior morality" stance of atheists and link to a collection with stats relevant to that and you "have no idea" why these would be relevant.

This problem is very simple to solve. Make a statement, then link to article or stats from a reputable source to support it.

Here is an example:
In Western democracies there is a negative correlation between the religiosity of a nation, and the nations societal health. This means the more religious a nation is, the poorer the societal health.

Then I provide a link: from linked article in Journal of Religion and Society
and even a quote:
Data correlations show that in almost all regards the highly secular democracies consistently enjoy low rates of societal dysfunction, while pro-religious and anti-evolution America performs poorly

Please note that this example also supports my argument.
Which statement also lacks sense, since without a substantive standard for morality to hold you to as the OP did for Christians, who knows what you mean by morality. Thus it is your responses that are irrelevant.

But many (or perhaps nearly all?) atheists have a substantive standard for morality. I think this is demonstrated by how Atheists are in general more moral than many Christians.

For example I virtually have found it very rare for Atheists to justify slavery, but I have heard many Christians trying to justify slavery. So by the standard that slavery is bad, I have found Atheists to be more moral than Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This problem is very simple to solve. Make a statement, then link to statistic(s) from a reputable source to support it.
If you make a second statement, then link to statistics from reputable source to support that statement.
Which i did, while all you can do is remain implacable while provide nothing to substantiate your statements. Its that simple.
But they many (all?) have a substantive standard for morality. I think is demonstrated by how Atheists are in general more moral than many Christians.
Which is simply begging the question. Who/what defines what is moral?
For example I virtually never hear Atheists trying to justify slavery, but many times I have heard Christians trying to justify slavery. So by the standard that slavery is bad, I have found Atheists to be more moral than Christians.
What good is that? It is not only one issue, and the defense of Christians is not of slavery as we picture it in the antebellum South but usually only as in Scripture, but its easy to condemn slavery now, and to prove atheism is superior on this point you would have to prove that atheists in the time slavery existed would as opposed to the degree you say they are now. However, the history after abolition of atheism, once in control as under chairman Mao or Stalin, shows that it certainly was not morally superior to NT Christianity, and could do worse than the most negative descriptions of slavery in the South.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Which i did, while all you can do is remain implacable while provide nothing to substantiate your statements. Its that simple.

No, you did not. And you have yet to put an organized, with links to reputable sources, argument forward. So I think I can safely assume that you do not have one.

You completely ignored the organized argument I put forward, supported by an article in a reputable journal, that there is a negative correlation between religiosity and societal health.

Could you please address this? Thank you.

We define our own morality.

.. its easy to condemn slavery now, and you would have to prove that atheists in the time slavery existed would as opposed to the degree you say they are now.
No I wouldn't.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What good is that? It is not only one issue, and the defense of Christians is not of slavery as we picture it in the antebellum South but as in Scripture, but its easy to condemn slavery now, and to prove atheism is superior on this point you would have to prove that atheists in the time slavery existed would as opposed to the degree you say they are now. However, the history after abolition of atheism, once in control as under chairman Mao or Stalin, shows that it certainly was not morally superior to NT Christianity, and could do worse than the most negative descriptions of slavery in the South

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, you did not. And you have yet to put an organized, with links to reputable sources, argument forward. So I think I can safely assume that you do not have one.
What? After providing multiple survey results relative to the claim of superior morality of atheists? Then you remain implacable.
You completely ignored the organized argument I put forward, supported by an article in a reputable journal, that there is a negative correlation between religiosity and societal health.
Could you please address this? Thank you.
I did miss this brief section but your link is to car sales though i found the quite elsewhere. However, the conclusion that secularism=superior morality is readily seen to be specious as establishing causation, for it ignores other factors, such as the development of the character of the country, and how it attained to a position of stability and prosperity, and its priority of education, and what religions were included in the comparison of countries (certainly if you are going to include Islamic nations you are going to get a high degree of instability) and what factors determine societal health, and how long the positive countries have been secular, and the long term result of such.

It can use America as an example of negative relation of religion and societal health, but the decline in that corresponds to the decline in the Christian character of it.
We define our own morality.
Then any claim to superior morality is invalid. The definition of morality by an atheist in one room or country can be clearly contradictory to that of one in another, with no appeal to definitive source, however open it may be to some interpretation.

Meanwhile, it is strange that you transparently affirm homosexual relations and abortion, etc. while claiming to be a Ukr. Grk. Catholic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rather than this going straight over my head, it is the purpose of my response that went straight over your head, since the presumption that such problems were only that of a "very biased perspective" is exactly what I perceived, and thus I showed that such problems were not restricted to the likes of Fox, but reported on by liberal media as well. Even just a search of UK NHS will result in a NTY article as well as a CNN one reporting crises in the NHS. I am not search "UFO over the White House" or something.

Thus the presumption that such problems are only that of a "very biased perspective" was refuted.

Same point. The NTY or CNN is not going to publish an article saying "all is well".
None of this means anything.

You can point to problems everywhere all you want. The larger point flies over your head.

There are problems with democracy as well, you know. That doesn't mean that we might just as well all become communists.

You need to look at the big picture, and contrast that full picture to how the picture looks in the US. That's what this is about.

It's not about "can you find something problematic in X".
Because obviously you can. No matter what X is. Nothing is perfect.

Yes? So this means that problems and issues with such things as US politics do not exist, or are only that of a "very biased perspective?" Instead, they are widely reported on as real and substantial problems and issues as the sources attest, and thus the OP himself acknowledged such and pinned the blame on government, meaning conservatives.

No. It means that if the point of the exercise is to see which system benefits society most, google "issues and problems with X" is not going to tell you that.

One would only go about it that way if one has decided in advance that one wants to talk thrash about X and then deliberatly goes out to seek problems with X and then shine a 1000 watt light on that problem.

Thus all your attempts to impugn the credibility of such reports and of real and substantial problems is just so much futile denial. Not that my response was not that of rejecting NHS en toto, and problems and issues with American health care would also reveal substantial problems and issues, but my citing of such was to challenge the uncritical advocation of it, and thus with increased reliance upon government in general.

Then it was an exercise in futility, because nobody here is claiming perfection.
The only point being made is that government-run universal health care systems demonstrably work better then the privatised system you have in the US. That is all.

Nobody said that the various current implementations of such universal health care systems are perfect.

I was referring to equipment anyone can but, but since about the only market for it is those whose insurance always pays for it then the cost is kept high, as would computers in a like situation.

I'm talking in general.
When you have a free market for goods and services that is completely controlled by private companies, then the prices will land NOT in terms of "affordability for everyone", but rather in terms of "maximized return for the companies".

Look at Apple and the price of the iPhone. The margin they have on a single iPhone is ridiculously high. The price of an iPhone is also ridiculously high. So high, that the iPhone has become a "status" product that only a certain percentage of the population can actually justifyably afford. 1000 bucks of a phone (that is half ruined if you drop it) is a LOT of money. Most people's budget for a phone is closer to 150 bucks.

So Apple doesn't have a majority market share at all. Yet, they make the most money.
Their interest is NOT in "getting an iphone into every person's pocket". Their interest is "mo' money, mo' money, mo' money".

And they have calculated that using premium pricing and having some 20% market share yields bigger returns then lower pricing and 90% market share.

So that's what they do.
Why you would want your HEALTH to be treated in largely the same way, is a mystery to me.

That is a problem insofar as it happens, but of course, if you are going to pay for medical care, why stop there? With the cost of housing being the single highest cost to Americans (and Section 8 can raise the cost of housing on others)

Seeing as how a house is usually the single biggest purchase a person will make in their lives, it doesn't seem surprising that it is also the highest cost.
And the same goes for renting. Renting an appartment over here in my region, quickly adds up to 800-900 euro's a month. Buying a fancy car on credit, results in monthly payments ranging from 300 to 500 a month.

So yeah, obviously housing will be the biggest expense of your average citizen.
Not sure how this is relevant to the subject of health, though.

After that you can fund transportation, which also has reluctant insurance payouts. Then the govern,ent can by for heat and electric. Then when the government decides to treat politically incorrect citizens as terrorists, then it will be more effective in doing so.

I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.
We are talking about health care. What are you talking about?

The appeal to my health for insurance is not very effective, for reasons i need not go into here, but i am sympathetic to the need of others, esp. kids, and might have died at age 7 if not for a hospital. Yet i hold that if you as an adult choose not to pay into the system then you should not burden others to pay for your care who did not want to.

In a government run universal health care system, everybody pays into the system through taxes. And because of that, it becomes more affordable and more effective for everybody as well.

And if you happen to be almost miraculously lucky to never become sick and require any health care services, then your contribution to the system still affects you immensly. Because a healthy workforce, is a productive workforce. It is in your best interest that ALL your fellow citizen can get the health care they require. Just like it is in your best interest that the police force keeps society safe, even if no murdering rapist robber has ever broken into your home.

Do you also complain about being "forced" to pay for the police force when you never were the victim of a crime?
Do you also complain about being "forced" to pay for the fire department while you never required their assistance?

I have read the quality is higher, and wait times less here than in the UK.

I don't live in the UK, I live in Belgium.
I can guarantee you that that is not true here.

I've already given this example a couple times on this forum...
I required shoulder surgery a couple years ago.

Long story short: from first housedoc visit till I was on the operating table, took exactly 5 workdays. And it could have been 4 if I wanted to, but I had some work stuff I wanted to take care of before the surgery. And this was not a high priority case. I could have easily waited for another couple of months.

Here's a quick summary:
- Housedoc visit (refered to surgeon, appointment the day after)
- Surgeon consultation (scheduled for surgery 3 days later)
- MRI, radio scans (between consultation and surgery)
- housedoc visit (to take out threads)
- surgeon consultation (check up to see if all is well)
- 2x 20 physio therapy sessions for revalidation
- total of 4 weeks paid sick leave

Total cost for me: ~250 bucks. It would have been less then 100, but I took a second program of 20 revalidation therapy (I wanted to speed up recovery so that I could return to playing the drums asap) and since that second series wasn't really required, the health care system didn't reimburse it in full. Which is fair.

So there you go. All that, handled within a workweek after my first housedoc visit, for the total cost of 250 bucks and with 4 weeks of paid sick leave.
I challenge you to match that in the US, without paying yourself bankrupt every month for a top-notch insurance.

At the time, I was just an average ICT Joe with an average job and an average income. I wasn't poor, but I certainly wasn't rich either. Just another typical middle-class working stiff (not that it would have been any different if I actually were rich or the opposite: very poor - it would have been the exact same, with the exception of the second series of revalidation therapy perhaps).

Also... I'll add that if a country has a problem with waiting times, then the solution is not to implement a completely different health care system. The solution then is to do what needs to be done to reduce waiting times.

If there are large waiting times, it means that demand is higher then supply. You can solve that in 2 ways:
- decrease demand
- increase supply.

I guess you could tripple all costs and then have demand reduced since many people could no longer afford it.

But perhaps a better way would be to try and increase supply instead.
I don't see how implementing another system of where the money comes from, is going to change the waiting times (unless the new system increases all prices off course, deleting half of the demands because they can no longer afford it). People aren't going to magically heal because a new budgetting system is in place. Nore will it produce more doctors and more facilities.

That is what the other side said, while i had provided findings from mainly liberal sources, as well as a page of mostly mainstream sources attesting to major problems with the NHS, yet which was dismissed, thus it impugns your appeal to objectively and without bias as supporting you.

Those are about problems with the UK system specifically, as I said above.
It is not a big picture view of government run universal health care vs privatised systems like the US.

You still have not evidenced your practice unbiased objectively. At least i had provided sources just before your post as well as the one for you. And again which really was not because I am defending American HC, but actually advocating unbiased objectivity versus only the one side i was hearing. And it is my opinion that liberal sources are as least as biased as conservative ones.

I don't have to defend claims that i'm not making.

I never stated that specific universal health care systems implemented around the world are perfect.

I just stated that the concept of a government run universal system, objectively works better then privatised systems like in the US.

And it doesn't take a phd in economics and medicines to figure that out.

In fact, it all depends on how you wish to view "health" and "health care".
Do you consider it a basic right/service (like you do with safety and the police/fire department), or do you consider it a luxury product like an iPhone or a car?

I say that it is a basic right/service.
Just like safety and education.

Does that mean that there is no room for privatisation? Off course not.
You have private schools and private security companies as well. Belgium also houses quite a few private hospitals as well. I wouldn't know why anyone would want to go there though.... waiting times there are like double of regular hospitals and prices are 10-fold (since they aren't covered through the national service, since they are private).

And just where have i engaged in lying/misrepresenting the actual numbers of such systems? And my focus on the problems was in response to what i saw as an uncritical advocation of the NHS, and if you wrote or referenced such i did not see it.

In that case, then let it just be clear that nobody here is claiming that government run systems are perfect. Just better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It can use America as an example of negative relation of religion and societal health, but the decline in that corresponds to the decline in the Christian character of it.

Really?
Then why do secular countries like Sweden, Finland, Japan, Denmark, ... have typically the highest scores of societal health indexes?

Your logic does not add up.
If you are going to point to the "decline of the christian character" as the reason for low societal health, then the US should have the HIGHEST scores, since it is the most religious country of the west. But it doesn't get that title. The highest scores are found in the least religious countries. Countries like Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Japan,...

Then any claim to superior morality is invalid. The definition of morality by an atheist in one room or country can be clearly contradictory to that of one in another, with no appeal to definitive source, however open it may be to some interpretation.

Right, because all christians agree on morality ha?

• Winner
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If this is considered an offensive question, then please delete, but I keep being confused by the version of Christianity I see from many conservative Americans. Growing up in the UK, my experience of Christians was of loving, endlessly forgiving and gentle people who always seemed to be striving to achieve their own self-admittedly flawed version of the the message Jesus gave them. They didn't judge, they always forgave, and they were just basically better people than most of us. I couldn't be a Christian because I don't believe in god, but I always had huge respect for these gentle, meek people who embodied something I instinctively knew was beautiful. The level of commitment and sacrifice to something they felt was greater than them was truly awe inspiring, despite me not believing.

Then I see so many American 'evangelicals' or conservative Christians who seem to spent their lives judging others, attacking their perceived enemies and embodying a message that seems to revolve around a love of wealth, power and hostility towards those who are weak and needy. I don't get it. I thought the whole message of Jesus was that to embrace the weakest and most vulnerable was the closest path to god?

I've read the bible and it doesn't seem like a complex message. Turn the other cheek, embrace those in need and don't hold yourself above anyone, especially the most humble. Yet I see people quoting random passages and twisting them to somehow say its ok to support violence or war, aspire to prosperity and judge others for their sins rather than leave it to god. It confuses me.

Am I missing something? Is Jesus not a messenger of peace and humility and an advocate for the poor and needy? How did the message of a man who bathed lepers and said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" end up being used to advocate for wealth creation and for pastors to collect money to buy private jets while the poorest in society go homeless and hungry, or die from lack of healthcare?

How did the message of a man who said "But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them" somehow end up being used to support gun ownership, a strong military and the use of violence against others?

Seriously, can someone explain this stuff to me please, because it leaves me dazed and confused.

We live in a fallen world. The Bible teaches the world will get worse and worse, it does and it will.

Matthew 24

4Jesus answered, “See to it that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in My name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. These things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

There is great need in the world ..... mankind can not meet the needs.

There are many Christian organizations and christians that do provide help to the poor and sick. Perhaps more than you are aware of.

We are all sinners, including christians. There are those who do good and those who do evil in all walks of life. That is the world we live in now ... a sinful world.

People and countries need to protect themselves .... if a country does not protect themselves they will be overthrown and then subject to who knows what.

Weapons do not kill people ...... people do and they will continue to do so. Why? Because of sin and sin will not be destroyed until the 2nd coming of Jesus.

So we all muddle through ... waiting on the return of our Lord.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So ... Jesus got tough with those who were using religion for financial gain, eh ???

Maybe ... maybe not ..... "financial gain".

The temple was a place to worship God ... not conduct commerce. I believe that was the main point.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Same point. The NTY or CNN is not going to publish an article saying "all is well".
None of this means anything.

You can point to problems everywhere all you want. The larger point flies over your head.

There are problems with democracy as well, you know. That doesn't mean that we might just as well all become communists.

You need to look at the big picture, and contrast that full picture to how the picture looks in the US. That's what this is about.

It's not about "can you find something problematic in X".
Because obviously you can. No matter what X is. Nothing is perfect.
Man, you sure are worked up about this, as if i was one who has been attacking the NHS as the worse there is and defending the US medical system like you defend the NHS, when about all I did was respond to one-sided adoration of the NHS by providing some mainline reports on its problems, and to your dismissal of criticism of the NHS by saying just Google it, for my intent was to show that it does have significant problems, but not the US system does not. And which i acknowledge, and linked to provides analysis as to why. Yet you respond to my providing negative reports on the NHS almost like a devout Catholic does when we impugn their hyper elevation of the Mary of Catholicism, though at at least you have not changes me with hating the NHS yet!

No. It means that if the point of the exercise is to see which system benefits society most, google "issues and problems with X" is not going to tell you that.

One would only go about it that way if one has decided in advance that one wants to talk thrash about X and then deliberatly goes out to seek problems with X and then shine a 1000 watt light on that problem.
That is a wrong conclusion, and thus i provided you with a link to the billions of wasted dollars in medical supplies in US health care, and asserted the administrative costs in US heath care was astronomical, and linked to an analysis on why health care costs so much here. But it seems all you want to do is focus on link to problems with NHS and then shine a 1000 watt light on that and ignore the fact that i did not exalt the US health care, but provided criticism of that also. My main concern however is too much reliance on government.
Then it was an exercise in futility, because nobody here is claiming perfection.
The only point being made is that government-run universal health care systems demonstrably work better then the privatised system you have in the US. That is all.

Nobody said that the various current implementations of such universal health care systems are perfect.
Making that point comparatively is fine, but what i saw was a lack of objectivity.
I'm talking in general.
When you have a free market for goods and services that is completely controlled by private companies, then the prices will land NOT in terms of "affordability for everyone", but rather in terms of "maximized return for the companies".
Look at Apple and the price of the iPhone. The margin they have on a single iPhone is ridiculously high. The price of an iPhone is also ridiculously high. So high, that the iPhone has become a "status" product that only a certain percentage of the population can actually justifyably afford. 1000 bucks of a phone (that is half ruined if you drop it) is a LOT of money. Most people's budget for a phone is closer to 150 bucks.
So Apple doesn't have a majority market share at all. Yet, they make the most money.
Their interest is NOT in "getting an iphone into every person's pocket". Their interest is "mo' money, mo' money, mo' money".
And they have calculated that using premium pricing and having some 20% market share yields bigger returns then lower pricing and 90% market share. So that's what they do.
However, people are not forced to buy theirs, while do you think we would be have cell phones as well as the whole commercial tech revolution if not for the freedom to make large profits on ever increasing upgrades? I am fairly sure if we had to depend on the government for computers and phones then we would be at about the 1997 stage (unless we got them from China), while continually making money in this business requires further advances in tech.

And like computers, prices for basic models should come down as variety grows, or if technological advancement somewhat slows and more competition and supply arises, though neither is likely. But I thank God for competition, without which things would be bad.

I do not have cell or smart phone myself and consider the prices and choices for even landline and Internet as well as heath and electric to be a result of a basic monopoly. But i would not want the government to be my provider.
Why you would want your HEALTH to be treated in largely the same way, is a mystery to me.
Since I do not intend to use government heath care in the future, any more than i have used any health care (by the grace of God) for the past 35 years (except for a basic physical), then you had better ask me "why I would want my HEALTH to be treated in largely the same way?" I have have to study this issue out in order to ascertain whether your analogy is correct, or to what degree. I am just asking for objectivity where i see only more dependence upon government (which has its place to a degree) being advocated as supreme.

Seeing as how a house is usually the single biggest purchase a person will make in their lives, it doesn't seem surprising that it is also the highest cost.
And the same goes for renting. Renting an appartment over here in my region, quickly adds up to 800-900 euro's a month. Buying a fancy car on credit, results in monthly payments ranging from 300 to 500 a month.

So yeah, obviously housing will be the biggest expense of your average citizen.
Not sure how this is relevant to the subject of health, though.
I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.
We are talking about health care. What are you talking about?
Because the logic is what since health care is so expensive then the government should be in charge, and thus the question, why stop there?
In a government run universal health care system, everybody pays into the system through taxes. And because of that, it becomes more affordable and more effective for everybody as well.
Sounds very good, as long as the government is. But "everybody pays into the system through taxes" is simply not correct, since approx. 45% of Americans pay no federal income tax. Some of this is due to seniors on SS (a very good idea, if the pols would leave it be for it original intent) while the rest is mostly due to low-income. Whether obtaining money, goods and services via the the multitude of (sometimes overlapping) welfare programs fosters single mother household or more welfare recipients otherwise could be a whole other thread.
And if you happen to be almost miraculously lucky to never become sick and require any health care services, then your contribution to the system still affects you immensly. Because a healthy workforce, is a productive workforce. It is in your best interest that ALL your fellow citizen can get the health care they require. Just like it is in your best interest that the police force keeps society safe, even if no murdering rapist robber has ever broken into your home.
Sound reasoning, and thus prevention must be prioritized.
Do you also complain about being "forced" to pay for the police force when you never were the victim of a crime?
Do you also complain about being "forced" to pay for the fire department while you never required their assistance?
No, except for inflated pension programs etc. But if i never paid into it though i could then I should not use them, except for the sake of others.
I don't live in the UK, I live in Belgium.
I can guarantee you that that is not true here.

I've already given this example a couple times on this forum...

I required shoulder surgery a couple years ago.

Long story short: from first housedoc visit till I was on the operating table, took exactly 5 workdays. And it could have been 4 if I wanted to, but I had some work stuff I wanted to take care of before the surgery. And this was not a high priority case. I could have easily waited for another couple of months.
Here's a quick summary:
That is quick. Being #12 (2002) in ration of physicians per capita (versus #52 for the U.S., and #55 for the U.K.) and #26 in hospital beds (versus #80 for the U.S. and #61 for the U.K.) likely helps.
- Housedoc visit (refered to surgeon, appointment the day after)

- Surgeon consultation (scheduled for surgery 3 days later)
- MRI, radio scans (between consultation and surgery)
- housedoc visit (to take out threads)
- surgeon consultation (check up to see if all is well)
- 2x 20 physio therapy sessions for revalidation
- total of 4 weeks paid sick leave

Total cost for me: ~250 bucks. It would have been less then 100, but I took a second program of 20 revalidation therapy (I wanted to speed up recovery so that I could return to playing the drums asap) and since that second series wasn't really required, the health care system didn't reimburse it in full. Which is fair.
So there you go. All that, handled within a workweek after my first housedoc visit, for the total cost of 250 bucks and with 4 weeks of paid sick leave.
I challenge you to match that in the US, without paying yourself bankrupt every month for a top-notch insurance.
I would not want to try.

At the time, I was just an average ICT Joe with an average job and an average income. I wasn't poor, but I certainly wasn't rich either. Just another typical middle-class working stiff (not that it would have been any different if I actually were rich or the opposite: very poor - it would have been the exact same, with the exception of the second series of revalidation therapy perhaps).

Also... I'll add that if a country has a problem with waiting times, then the solution is not to implement a completely different health care system. The solution then is to do what needs to be done to reduce waiting times.

If there are large waiting times, it means that demand is higher then supply. You can solve that in 2 ways:
- decrease demand
- increase supply.
I guess you could tripple all costs and then have demand reduced since many people could no longer afford it.

But perhaps a better way would be to try and increase supply instead.
I don't see how implementing another system of where the money comes from, is going to change the waiting times (unless the new system increases all prices off course, deleting half of the demands because they can no longer afford it). People aren't going to magically heal because a new budgetting system is in place. Nore will it produce more doctors and more facilities.[/COLOR] [/i][/FONT][/QUOTE]
I am going to hit the "Informative" icon! A friend of ours and brother in the Lord had a heart problem and 10 days and 100,000 later he went home, which insurance would not pay, but his dad's inheritance did AFAIK. Ouch!
Those are about problems with the UK system specifically, as I said above.
It is not a big picture view of government run universal health care vs privatised systems like the US.

I don't have to defend claims that i'm not making.
I never stated that specific universal health care systems implemented around the world are perfect.

I just stated that the concept of a government run universal system, objectively works better then privatised systems like in the US.

And it doesn't take a phd in economics and medicines to figure that out.

In fact, it all depends on how you wish to view "health" and "health care".
Do you consider it a basic right/service (like you do with safety and the police/fire department), or do you consider it a luxury product like an iPhone or a car?
I consider it a luxury myself, one that i intend to continue to refuse (though had a lower hernia for some years, and a dislocated should, both of which healed fine, thanks be to God, and and severe knee injury playing soccer, but mostly good now). However, i certainly appreciate the need for available health care at reasonable prices, and which are way way too high for what you describe. A neighbor -youngest of 18 kids and whose mom was one of 24 - and harly even too any sick days, went to his country (Costa Rica) and came back with some strange auto-immune disease. Which likely cost the insurance co., hundreds of thousands of dollars in research and experiments. They is still uncertainly about it, but thank God he is very industrious and active now.

I say that it is a basic right/service.
Just like safety and education.

Does that mean that there is no room for privatisation? Off course not.
You have private schools and private security companies as well. Belgium also houses quite a few private hospitals as well. I wouldn't know why anyone would want to go there though.... waiting times there are like double of regular hospitals and prices are 10-fold (since they aren't covered through the national service, since they are private).

In that case, then let it just be clear that nobody here is claiming that government run systems are perfect. Just better.
That you for your extensive input, which helps to educate me and provide more informed opinion, for I have never lauded the US medical system, or really got into this debate, and my last experience with it was about 35 years go. I certainly appreciate the good it has done but it obviously needs fixing, but try to avoid increased dependence on the government, a dangerous ally.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really?
Then why do secular countries like Sweden, Finland, Japan, Denmark, ... have typically the highest scores of societal health indexes?
Again, you are mistaking correlation as causation. There are many factors that must be considered as said, from the character of the culture (and its historical influences) to its geography to its demographic purity. And as countries like Sweden loses even the latter look for its "societal health" to decline (meanwhile Nordic countries are said to be more hostile towards immigration than most other world-leading economies). Nor can you lump all religions and religious countries together. Of course, if atheism is good for a country than we have the record of state atheism.
Your logic does not add up.
If you are going to point to the "decline of the christian character" as the reason for low societal health, then the US should have the HIGHEST scores, since it is the most religious country of the west. But it doesn't get that title. The highest scores are found in the least religious countries. Countries like Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Japan,.
It is your logic that does not add up, your comparison is specious for the aforementioned reasons, while as regards correlation, the decline in religion in America in both quantity and quality does correspond to the increase in immorality and decrease in societal health.
Right, because all christians agree on morality ha?
Define Christian based on the definitive source of that title and i will tell that they are about as unified in basic core truths and values as atheists are on immorality.

And in another period,

The sects that exist in the United States are innumerable. They all differ in respect to the worship which is due to the Creator; but they all agree in respect to the duties which are due from man to man. Each sect adores the Deity in its own peculiar manner, but all sects preach the same moral law in the name of God...

Moreover, all the sects of the United States are comprised within the great unity of Christianity, and Christian morality is everywhere the same...

There are certain populations in Europe whose unbelief is only equaled by their ignorance and their debasement, while in America one of the freest and most enlightened nations in the world fulfills all the outward duties of religion with fervor...

In France I had almost always seen the spirit of religion and the spirit of freedom pursuing courses diametrically opposed to each other; but in America I found that they were intimately united, and that they reigned in common over the same country. ( Alexis de Tocqueville (1805—1859, French political thinker and historian; Democracy in America, [New York: A. S. Barnes & Co., 1851), pp. 331, 332, 335, 336-7, 337; Tocqueville: Book I Chapter 17)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0