Why don’t most Anglicans join the Roman Catholic Church?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Were you raised Roman Catholic or Anglican?

Neither. My parents are lapsed Catholics, and they were very critical of any institutionalised church. I was not raised going to church, but I was raised to believe the Bible, pray, etc.

So when I wanted more than that, as a teenager and young adult, I was confronted with the question of where to look. Roman Catholicism was an obvious starting point given my family's background, but my explorations of Catholicism always ran aground on an infallible magisterium. I found myself at home in Anglicanism instead.

It is probably as you say, yes.

Here's a way of looking at it...

If we consider the Anglicans who are the most like Roman Catholics--Anglo-Catholics or Anglo-Papalists are terms that have been used--it has been said that they are not all peas in a pod, just as Evangelical Anglicans are not all carbon copies of each other. However, it is said also that there are four RC doctrines which cause all of them to draw the line.

1. Papal Supremacy (and Infallibility)
2. Transubstantiation
3. Purgatory
4. The Marian dogmas of the Assumption and the Immaculate Conception.

That rule of thumb not withstanding, I do know some Anglo-Catholics who believe one or more of points #2, 3, and 4. None accept #1 on the list. The closest that some of them might come would be to accept some sort of primacy of honor (only) for the bishop of Rome, probably also including the historic title, Patriarch of the West.

I know some outer-edge-Anglo-Catholics who would believe to some degree in all four but are Anglican because of issues with the way Catholicism handles women and sexuality. (Eg. Women with vocations to ordination, or men who want to be priests but also marry).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
My situation is a little complex. Having visited different churches, I have experienced many different worship styles and feel comfortable in all of them. I particularly love the broadness of Anglicanism and have found it to be my home.

Theologically I lean more towards anglo-catholicism when it comes to the sacraments, the Eucharist, apostolic succession and church tradition. I don't pray for intercession of saints. I dont accept the infallibility of the pope, nor do I believe in transubstantiation. That is why I would have difficulty in becoming a catholic. But I have a deep respect for Catholics and have many books by some of their authors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ve often wondered about this. Notice I did not say all.
Maybe because they swallow the story of Good king Henry (VIII) and the Virgin Queen (Elizabeth I) so have their national identity tied up with the myth of Church of England origins - allegedly in ancient time as early as the life time of the apostles - and sing songs like this ...

But the myth does not stop there; no indeed. The Church of England "honours" the English Monarch with this coronation music.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm only authorized to speak for one Anglican, not "most." I am an Anglican convert of the High Church, Anglo-Catholic variety. I say that to point out I'm not cradle so I had a choice of affiliation among Roman Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and I suppose all the others although I didn't really look very hard at those others. I have a variety of differences with Rome, such as Purgatory, the Immaculate Conception, etc. But these are tertiary.

My primary objection is its exclusive communion. I believe when Christ says He wants His Church to be one, excluding other baptized Christians from communion is simply wrong. I gravitated to Anglicanism because Rome, Orthodoxy, and LCMS say some baptized Christians aren't welcome at their table. (Yes, I've heard all your explanations, so please spare me). My church allows all baptized Christians to participate in the Eucharist. My secondary reason is the child abuse mess and how the church has handled it, or rather how it has not handled it.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The same reason that no other protestant sect seeks to reconcile with Her: they don't recognize Her authority.
Actually, yes, that's exactly it: We don't recognize the Catholic church's authority.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟608,315.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of simple things that would hold me from swimming the Tiber:
  1. I reject the filioque
  2. I feel the Anglican doctrine of the Real Presence is more profound than the doctrine of Transubstantiation which in my view does not go far enough.
  3. I feel that the understanding of catholicity as being in communion with one particular see is flawed
  4. I don't accept the infallibility of any person or office and I have too much respect for history to accept that

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,092.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Maybe because they swallow the story of Good king Henry (VIII) and the Virgin Queen (Elizabeth I) so have their national identity tied up with the myth of Church of England origins - allegedly in ancient time as early as the life time of the apostles - and sing songs like this ...

But the myth does not stop there; no indeed. The Church of England "honours" the English Monarch with this coronation music.

And how does that account for the millions of Anglicans who aren't English?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It is probably as you say, yes.

Here's a way of looking at it...

If we consider the Anglicans who are the most like Roman Catholics--Anglo-Catholics or Anglo-Papalists are terms that have been used--it has been said that they are not all peas in a pod, just as Evangelical Anglicans are not all carbon copies of each other. However, it is said also that there are four RC doctrines which cause all of them to draw the line.

1. Papal Supremacy (and Infallibility)
2. Transubstantiation
3. Purgatory
4. The Marian dogmas of the Assumption and the Immaculate Conception.

That rule of thumb not withstanding, I do know some Anglo-Catholics who believe one or more of points #2, 3, and 4. None accept #1 on the list. The closest that some of them might come would be to accept some sort of primacy of honor (only) for the bishop of Rome, probably also including the historic title, Patriarch of the West.

When I was Anglican, I was also Anglo-Catholic, but papal supremacy was something I was not able to swallow (for a while, then I thought I could handle it and joined the RCC). Turned out that's one of the things that I wasn't able to swallow after much reading/praying. Transubstantiation was, I thought, just an unnecessary explanation and believed with the Orthodox, the Lutherans and the Anglicans that the Real Presence is a Mystery.

• Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ginger Beer said:
Maybe because they swallow the story of Good king Henry (VIII) and the Virgin Queen (Elizabeth I) so have their national identity tied up with the myth of Church of England....

And how does that account for the millions of Anglicans who aren't English?
...and I have never heard a single Anglican extol the virtues of "good King Henry." :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟564,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
There are myriad reasons because Anglicanism is so broad. Some view Anglicanism as the rightful heir of Celtic Christianity and thus more authentically Catholic than the Roman 'invaders.' Those Anglicans who would identify as Protestants (and even many Anglo-Catholics) have doctrinal issues with Rome. Others have tried the Roman Ordinariates and been burned in the process. Some are freaked out by Pope Francis. A few hope the Orthodox will again warm up to us as they did at the beginning of the 1900s - for them, union with the Orthodox is preferable to union with Rome.

• Informative
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2019
Texas
✟46,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While I'm not confirmed as an Anglican, I am more or less Anglican theologically. This is why I won't convert to Catholicism.

First, I don't think the Catholic pope has any more authority than any other bishop. This has to do with how I understand Scripture, as well as my understanding Christian history. This isn't unique to Protestants. Orthodox Christians don't affirm papal authority either.
Second, I don't think the five solae are theologically incorrect. I think, when properly understood in the context of the Reformation and the rest of Christian theology, they have a logical basis, if not a biblical one.

There's more, but these are the main ones.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,176,910.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A few hope the Orthodox will again warm up to us as they did at the beginning of the 1900s
Unfortunately, the ordination of women has driven a pretty significant wedge in that possibility since then.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I’ve often wondered about this. Notice I did not say all.
I read a lot of J. C. Ryle. Any Anglicans that agree with his theology would never join the RCC.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0