Why doesn't the church practice/order kosher?

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Cis.jd. I have to seriously evaluate what I eat now.
The dairy/veal industry is so cruel. Why don't they knock out the animal first before bleeding it. If u think Islam or the Jews are any better watch these videos.
Kosher slaughter and Halal slaughter ain't any better.

Sure. I can imagine that all these places that claim "kosher" are probably lying. But maybe this shows that there are muslims and jews who don't take their religious laws seriously anymore.

But they still have it as a religious rule, and I'm just curious as to why Christians don't have a rule like that especially since God was strict on this.

• Agree
Reactions: baryogenesis
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
What i mean by Kosher isn't including specific dietary laws in the OT but the "painless" slaughter of the animal.

As Christians, especially us Catholics who rely on the traditions of the apostles. Since when did they abandon this Judeo-Christian teaching of humane animal slaughter. Since when did Jesus and Paul's allowing of eating any meats included the retirement of Kosher?

Because honestly, the way most christian populated countries (such as the USA) slaughter their livestock is evil. Just watch farm to fridge, and then read Leviticus to the Talmud, how can the same God in Leviticus be ok with that?

I believe the humane treatment to God's creatures is still a commandment from God, and the Church (and christianity in general) should be having this as a tradition.

--

I would like to post a video clip of how horrible these slaughterings since it maybe more effective for others to understand... however due to it's graphic nature, I'm not sure if it's allowed.

hmm...

Why indeed?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are just talking about rules in our religion, not the nations political views.
Really? What Southern Baptists and Catholic priests are slaughtering cattle on a daily bases on church property?

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Really? What Southern Baptists and Catholic priests are slaughtering cattle on a daily bases on church property?
You think the food they have during lunch came from groceries or restaurants where animals where killed humanely? This question of yours is also out of context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Cis.jd. I have to seriously evaluate what I eat now.
The dairy/veal industry is so cruel. Why don't they knock out the animal first before bleeding it. If u think Islam or the Jews are any better watch these videos.
Kosher slaughter and Halal slaughter ain't any better.

I've watched your videos and this doesn't look like Kosher at all. Where is the shochet (or rabbi) and why is there no Shechitah? The fact that there are butchers in uniform already shows this isn't kosher. It's like Peta went to certain factories, compiled them, and lied about it being "kosher on tape".

Ritual slaughter is known as shechitah- The method of slaughter is a quick, deep stroke across the throat with a perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness. This method is painless, causes unconsciousness within two seconds....

Judaism 101: Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws
What is Kosher Food, Kosher Rules, Products, Definition, What Does Kosher Mean

Upvote 0

Cristo Rei

Sep 2, 2019
Toronto
✟16,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Im not familiar to the particulars of Kosher or Halal slaughter but I read that it's basically all the same as the Christians do it. The throat slice is meant to cut through the the main artery, the wind pipe and food pipe. The only other specific mention is not to eat meat of strangled animals.

So Im ok with the slaughter as God allows us. It's the mistreatment of the animals that I don't like.
Caged chickens, tiny pig pens, tethered veal, dirty dairy practices, dirty wool practices, brutal castration, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Purchasing directly from the farmer is more economical.

Economical to who? I don't have the time to go out to various farms to find the food I want or need and negotiate prices with individual farmers. And I doubt farmers have the time to set up store fronts or infrastructure needed to negotiate prices to individuals. I'm not sure there's anything easily identifiable as "more economical" by changing the entire production and distribution process.

It's pretty economical when large buyers come and buy in bulk, process and ship food to distribution centers where consumers can come and select what they need.

Price wise, it’s best to pool your resources if possible.

I do and think most people do too. I use a grocery store.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a clip (mods are free to take it down if it is against the rules)

After reading Leviticus, and also understanding why Jews believe strongly in Kosher as a commandment from God, wouldn't God consider eating meats that have been slaughtered so cruelly to be a sin?
Im curious.....In what manner would you have these pigs slaughtered for you to be ok with eating them? (if you dont eat pork, then substitute pig for an animal you do eat.)

What would a humane killing, look like?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Economical to who? I don't have the time to go out to various farms to find the food I want or need and negotiate prices with individual farmers.

That isn’t necessary. Most farms who offer the service have the information posted on their website. This is an established practice and the method many restaurants use to procure meat. But many farms sell in bulk to consumers.

I am uncertain why you assumed individual negotiations would be necessary. That isn’t practical for a business. Our local farmers market carries meat and most vendors sell in bulk. The method I mentioned is most common for people desiring grass-fed meat.

• Useful
Reactions: Yekcidmij
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's pretty economical when large buyers come and buy in bulk, process and ship food to distribution centers where consumers can come and select what they need.
For 60 years at least farmers have gotten 1-2 dollar a pound for beef (usually in the lower range). Lets say $1200 for a complete cow. Butchering and wrapping $1.25 a lb so add say $750. That is $1950 for approx 600 lbs of meat.. ALL cuts. Average of $3 a lb, the usual price of fatty ground beef today. The distribution system is economical? How does that justify $40 for a steak? Past the purchase and cut and wrap stage of $3 can it justify the prices? Surely $37 of that steak doesn't go to wages and transport.

• Winner
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The distribution system is economical? How does that justify $40 for a steak? Past the purchase and cut and wrap stage of $3 can it justify the prices? Surely $37 of that steak doesn't go to wages and transport.

That is why many are buying direct. I found my purveyor through a restaurant’s website while looking at menus. Many mentioned the origin of the meat and I kept encountering their name.

It is well regarded and their willingness to acknowledge its quality was the tipping point. The farmer earns most of his money through commercial clients. His consumer rates are more affordable.

My goal is to procure most goods direct, make them myself, or use specialty retailers. This is the lone body I have. I can’t allow harmful food in my system or products in my home.

The Holy Spirit has directed my efforts and helped me adopt an eco-friendly lifestyle. My home isn’t totally green but its pretty close.

Now I’m working on my wardrobe, ridding myself of synthetic items, and opting for natural fabrics in their place. :)

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Im curious.....In what manner would you have these pigs slaughtered for you to be ok with eating them? (if you dont eat pork, then substitute pig for an animal you do eat.)

What would a humane killing, look like?
Kosher.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Im not familiar to the particulars of Kosher or Halal slaughter but I read that it's basically all the same as the Christians do it. The throat slice is meant to cut through the the main artery, the wind pipe and food pipe. The only other specific mention is not to eat meat of strangled animals.

So Im ok with the slaughter as God allows us. It's the mistreatment of the animals that I don't like.
Caged chickens, tiny pig pens, tethered veal, dirty dairy practices, dirty wool practices, brutal castration, etc.
There is a lot of good info on Kosher on those links i posted, especially how they are killed and various laws rooted in scripture.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Surely, a bolt to the head is the most humane? Slitting the throat alone looks VERY inhumane.

Those cows had their throats slit back to the spine and yet they were still very 'active' and aware!

Anyway, i believe kosher was for the Jews.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What i mean by Kosher isn't including specific dietary laws in the OT but the "painless" slaughter of the animal.

As Christians, especially us Catholics who rely on the traditions of the apostles. Since when did they abandon this Judeo-Christian teaching of humane animal slaughter. Since when did Jesus and Paul's allowing of eating any meats included the retirement of Kosher?

Just watch farm to fridge, and then read Leviticus to the Talmud, how can the same God in Leviticus be ok with that?

I believe that is an unimportant matter.

Upvote 0