• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Why doesn't the church practice/order kosher?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Cis.jd, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+767
    Catholic
    Single
    Sure. I can imagine that all these places that claim "kosher" are probably lying. But maybe this shows that there are muslims and jews who don't take their religious laws seriously anymore.

But they still have it as a religious rule, and I'm just curious as to why Christians don't have a rule like that especially since God was strict on this.

2. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+1,399
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    hmm...

Why indeed?

3. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+1,451
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Like when they changed the Sabbath or set the Kingdom aside for world rule?

4. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+767
    Catholic
    Single
    No, not like that.
    Although, i did read your first post which actually does make sense to be a possible reason.

5. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+767
    Catholic
    Single
    We are just talking about rules in our religion, not the nations political views.

6. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+28,625
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Really? What Southern Baptists and Catholic priests are slaughtering cattle on a daily bases on church property?

7. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+767
    Catholic
    Single
    You think the food they have during lunch came from groceries or restaurants where animals where killed humanely? This question of yours is also out of context.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 10:49 PM
  8. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+767
    Catholic
    Single
    I've watched your videos and this doesn't look like Kosher at all. Where is the shochet (or rabbi) and why is there no Shechitah? The fact that there are butchers in uniform already shows this isn't kosher. It's like Peta went to certain factories, compiled them, and lied about it being "kosher on tape".

Ritual slaughter is known as shechitah- The method of slaughter is a quick, deep stroke across the throat with a perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness. This method is painless, causes unconsciousness within two seconds....

Judaism 101: Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws
    What is Kosher Food, Kosher Rules, Products, Definition, What Does Kosher Mean

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Cristo Rei

Cristo Rei New Member

+16
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    Im not familiar to the particulars of Kosher or Halal slaughter but I read that it's basically all the same as the Christians do it. The throat slice is meant to cut through the the main artery, the wind pipe and food pipe. The only other specific mention is not to eat meat of strangled animals.

So Im ok with the slaughter as God allows us. It's the mistreatment of the animals that I don't like.
    Caged chickens, tiny pig pens, tethered veal, dirty dairy practices, dirty wool practices, brutal castration, etc.

10. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+931
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    Economical to who? I don't have the time to go out to various farms to find the food I want or need and negotiate prices with individual farmers. And I doubt farmers have the time to set up store fronts or infrastructure needed to negotiate prices to individuals. I'm not sure there's anything easily identifiable as "more economical" by changing the entire production and distribution process.

It's pretty economical when large buyers come and buy in bulk, process and ship food to distribution centers where consumers can come and select what they need.

I do and think most people do too. I use a grocery store.

11. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,782
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Im curious.....In what manner would you have these pigs slaughtered for you to be ok with eating them? (if you dont eat pork, then substitute pig for an animal you do eat.)

What would a humane killing, look like?

12. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❣️ His little lady ❣️ Supporter

+3,906
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    That isn’t necessary. Most farms who offer the service have the information posted on their website. This is an established practice and the method many restaurants use to procure meat. But many farms sell in bulk to consumers.

I am uncertain why you assumed individual negotiations would be necessary. That isn’t practical for a business. Our local farmers market carries meat and most vendors sell in bulk. The method I mentioned is most common for people desiring grass-fed meat.

13. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+367
    Christian
    Married
    What is inhumane about a bolt to the brain? Can't get much quicker than that... Pretty sure in the old days they just slit the throat.

14. His student

His student Well-Known Member

+387
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    No - sheep on the farm have wool. Sheep in church have hair (for the most part).:)

15. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+1,451
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    For 60 years at least farmers have gotten 1-2 dollar a pound for beef (usually in the lower range). Lets say $1200 for a complete cow. Butchering and wrapping $1.25 a lb so add say $750. That is $1950 for approx 600 lbs of meat.. ALL cuts. Average of $3 a lb, the usual price of fatty ground beef today. The distribution system is economical? How does that justify $40 for a steak? Past the purchase and cut and wrap stage of $3 can it justify the prices? Surely $37 of that steak doesn't go to wages and transport.

16. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❣️ His little lady ❣️ Supporter

+3,906
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    That is why many are buying direct. I found my purveyor through a restaurant’s website while looking at menus. Many mentioned the origin of the meat and I kept encountering their name.

It is well regarded and their willingness to acknowledge its quality was the tipping point. The farmer earns most of his money through commercial clients. His consumer rates are more affordable.

My goal is to procure most goods direct, make them myself, or use specialty retailers. This is the lone body I have. I can’t allow harmful food in my system or products in my home.

The Holy Spirit has directed my efforts and helped me adopt an eco-friendly lifestyle. My home isn’t totally green but its pretty close.

Now I’m working on my wardrobe, ridding myself of synthetic items, and opting for natural fabrics in their place. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+767
    Catholic
    Single
    Kosher.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+767
    Catholic
    Single
    There is a lot of good info on Kosher on those links i posted, especially how they are killed and various laws rooted in scripture.

19. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+3,701
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Surely, a bolt to the head is the most humane? Slitting the throat alone looks VERY inhumane.

Those cows had their throats slit back to the spine and yet they were still very 'active' and aware!

Anyway, i believe kosher was for the Jews.

20. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,423
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I believe that is an unimportant matter.