Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Jesus literally said that he is in heaven while being on earth talking to Nicodemus

I can see why you might conclude that, yet I myself don't see Jesus having meant it like that.

Though I generally prefer the KJV, the following translation seems to be making Jesus' point a bit clearer.

Weymouth New Testament

John 3:13 (WNT) There is no one who has gone up to Heaven, but there is One who has come down from Heaven, namely the Son of Man whose home is in Heaven.
https://www.biblestudytools.com/john/3-13-compare.html

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is still working to prepare the people who will inherit heaven and eternity with Him and He works thru His servants of Gods spreading the Salvation of Gospel in this world. It depends on our works so only God knows when Evangelism is enough.

You might fasten the Day by bringing Gospel Salvation to the world quicker.

Luke 1: 17 ...to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why doesnt Jesus know the hour except the father? Why cant he know?

Who said that he didn't know the hour?

If you consider the King James Version there is no such declaration being made.

For example.......

36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. (Matthew 24:36 (KJV))

The Lord is coming for his bride on his wedding day, so do people really believe that he does not know when his wedding day is on, at the very hour, of the consecration of his Bride, his Church?

At the wedding at galilee, where Jesus performed the miracle of turning water into wine, his mother had informed him that they had no wine, then Jesus responded by stating the following.....

what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. (John 2:4)

Jesus obviously was alluding to his hour, when his wedding would be, at the consecration of his bride, at the end of the world.

If Jesus did not know when the hour of his wedding day is, then he would not have informed his mother what he knew. He reported to know the hour, so now we have two bits of scriptural evidence, they being the absence of the declaration of the Son not knowing in the KJV and the fact that Jesus informed his mother, by openly declaring his hour is no yet come, within the context of the day of his own wedding at the end of time, when he will be there at the wedding supper, as the lamb of God, at the end of time.

The third bit of evidence is found in his many parables, that highly suggest that he is coming when no man knoweth the exact hour of his coming. Obviously if Jesus is coming in an hour that the servant do not know, then it would be none sense to think that he is also ignorant of the hour.

Here are the versus......

36And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. 37Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: (Luke 12:36-37)

40Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. (Luke 12:40)

Again the Son is not ignorant of the hour, it is a message of warning to the servants to be vigilent and watchful in faith, because he will come in an hour they know not.

43Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. (Luke 12:43)

The Lord is coming in the hour that he has decided to come as the King of kings, for he is not taking orders from a person higher than him. Jesus decides when he will come, so how can he not know when he will come, because the decision is his, at the end of the day.

46The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. (Luke 12:46)

Most importantly, how could the Son be ignorant of the day and the hour he comes, if he is the King and Lord administering judgment and punishment for those who were ignorant of the day and hour?

It makes no sense, does ignorance judge and punish ignorance?

This would be preposterous to even think, that Jesus would be ignorant of the day and the hour!

Some translation have erred by assuming the Son also does not know because of what is stated in Mark.....

32But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32 (KJV))

This would be an anomaly in the KJV, if after all what has been discussed is dismissed by three words, they are.....

"Neither the Son"

This leads to the question, whether these three words were later additions to the text or that they were contextually mistranslated, where Mark may have meant.....

"NOT the Son" instead or "Neither the Son"

Because Mark mentions no man knows the hour, then Jesus would have certainly fallen within that category when he was a man amongst men, right?

Yet Mark, wanted to clear something up, by distinguishing Jesus from men's ignorance of not knowing the hour, or the angels for that matter, by saying BUT with the exception of the Son, the bridegroom, who should by rights know his day and hour of his own wedding day.

Sure enough when we look at the term in the Greek, it supports my interpretation.

3761 oudé (from 3756 /ou, "NOT" and 1161 /dé, "moreover")

The word oude in the Greek is NOT.....

Below I rewrite the verse as follows.....

32But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, NOT the Son

In other words, human beings are ignorant of the day and hour, so too are the angels, NOT THE SON.....

DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE.......

But I won't stop there. Why does it say....?

"But the Father"

3361 mḗ (a particle which functions as an adverb) – no, not.

Low and behold, the error in the KJV is revealed, where the BUT, should really be a variant of NOT, to the most emphasised extreme.....as follows.......

32But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, NOT the Son, NO NOT the Father.

I must thankyou for bringing such an important post to question, for you have the a God given inquisitive mind. Keep it up! :)

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont think Jesus was talking about a wedding. I think he was talking about his ministry. Also like i said i was just asking.. And i was always curious about it and was tired of wondering so i just ask..

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The concept of the Trinity and how oneness works, especially when reading Scripture that seems to separate them, is very confusing. I think of the Holy Spirit as being God’s spiritual movement (or work) among us, and His way of revealing something spiritual to us. In the same way, I think of Jesus as being God’s human or physical movement (or work) among us, and His way of revealing something to us in humanity. But, when I think of God, I think of God (as in the One who knows it all).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus can not lie. He means what He says. There is a GOD/Father there is a son/Jesus and the Holy Spirit and blah blah blah. Jesus says He is one with the Father and the Father with Him. Its not like we say it and mean it. He is not from earth. They are one.. yet 3. That being said from what I read Jesus does not know. Remember Jesus can not lie. He told the 12 He was going back to His Fathers house to make them a home. And if He left He would come back receive them unto Him self so where He is they will be. Where HE goes they know. How He goes they know.

Now to say Jesus does know can know.. for me would be a lie. When did He come back and get them? Go read it again. He either lied or all He knew was after He died and rose PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS! After that.. nothing had to take place for Him to return and get them. Before He left they asked did they not about setting up His kingdom.. and He said.. those times and seasons you can't know only the Father. Now with regards to Matt 24. I have to look at WHO He was talking to. Jewish people. They asked He told them. Not one of them were Christians. Not one was part of the Church. For that He had to DIE 1st.

So when is He going to they asked "are you going to restore the kingdom to Israel? It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority." He then puts them right where they should be.. in the NOW. "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Nothing has changed. JESUS are you coming.. when.. yet.. He keeps wanting us to focus on the NOW. Live in this moment. For tomorrow will take care of its self.

If you would like a direct answer.. ask HIM. He is REAL. LOVES to talk.. He has not change. He is not like man.. He NEVER gets tried of hearing from you/us. To SOME..how do you feel when your child never calls never emails text..nothing. To take this one step better.. and you LIVE in them

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Who said that he didn't know the hour?

If you consider the King James Version there is no such declaration being made.

For example.......

36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. (Matthew 24:36 (KJV))

The Lord is coming for his bride on his wedding day, so do people really believe that he does not know when his wedding day is on, at the very hour, of the consecration of his Bride, his Church?

At the wedding at galilee, where Jesus performed the miracle of turning water into wine, his mother had informed him that they had no wine, then Jesus responded by stating the following.....

what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. (John 2:4)

Jesus obviously was alluding to his hour, when his wedding would be, at the consecration of his bride, at the end of the world.

If Jesus did not know when the hour of his wedding day is, then he would not have informed his mother what he knew. He reported to know the hour, so now we have two bits of scriptural evidence, they being the absence of the declaration of the Son not knowing in the KJV and the fact that Jesus informed his mother, by openly declaring his hour is no yet come, within the context of the day of his own wedding at the end of time, when he will be there at the wedding supper, as the lamb of God, at the end of time.

The third bit of evidence is found in his many parables, that highly suggest that he is coming when no man knoweth the exact hour of his coming. Obviously if Jesus is coming in an hour that the servant do not know, then it would be none sense to think that he is also ignorant of the hour.

Here are the versus......

36And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. 37Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: (Luke 12:36-37)

40Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not. (Luke 12:40)

Again the Son is not ignorant of the hour, it is a message of warning to the servants to be vigilent and watchful in faith, because he will come in an hour they know not.

43Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. (Luke 12:43)

The Lord is coming in the hour that he has decided to come as the King of kings, for he is not taking orders from a person higher than him. Jesus decides when he will come, so how can he not know when he will come, because the decision is his, at the end of the day.

46The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. (Luke 12:46)

Most importantly, how could the Son be ignorant of the day and the hour he comes, if he is the King and Lord administering judgment and punishment for those who were ignorant of the day and hour?

It makes no sense, does ignorance judge and punish ignorance?

This would be preposterous to even think, that Jesus would be ignorant of the day and the hour!

Some translation have erred by assuming the Son also does not know because of what is stated in Mark.....

32But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32 (KJV))

This would be an anomaly in the KJV, if after all what has been discussed is dismissed by three words, they are.....

"Neither the Son"

This leads to the question, whether these three words were later additions to the text or that they were contextually mistranslated, where Mark may have meant.....

"NOT the Son" instead or "Neither the Son"

Because Mark mentions no man knows the hour, then Jesus would have certainly fallen within that category when he was a man amongst men, right?

Yet Mark, wanted to clear something up, by distinguishing Jesus from men's ignorance of not knowing the hour, or the angels for that matter, by saying BUT with the exception of the Son, the bridegroom, who should by rights know his day and hour of his own wedding day.

Sure enough when we look at the term in the Greek, it supports my interpretation.

32But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, NOT the Son

In other words, human beings are ignorant of the day and hour, so too are the angels, NOT THE SON.....

"But the Father"

Low and behold, the error in the KJV is revealed, where the BUT, should really be a variant of NOT, to the most emphasised extreme.....as follows.......

32But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, NOT the Son, NO NOT the Father.

I must thankyou for bringing such an important post to question, for you have the a God given inquisitive mind. Keep it up! :)

As I said, the translators got it wrong. Everyone assumed they are right, but as my post highlights, the Son knew and knows exactly when the hour is. The King of kings doesn't just sit on the white throne of righteous judgement, if he were ignorant of the hour. The fact that he is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow highlights that from the beginning of time that he created, as the Word of God, he would know the entire timeline of his creation from the beginning to the end, that is why he is called the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last.

KJV translation does not declare that he is ignorant about the hour, in fact the transliteration from the Greek, clearly separated Christ from the ignorance of man and even Angels of not knowing the hour, when Mark states.....

Human beings don't know, neither do the angels, but NOT the Son, because he is all knowing.

Jesus Christ is all knowing my friends. The Nicene declaration of the Word being coeternal and coequal with the Father...

"God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made;"

The translators and theologians got it wrong. :disappointed:

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Why should that be unexpected? It seems reasonable each member of the Godhead would have unique or non-overlapping duties. That is already true in many other instances, for example; Jesus is the Savior, Lamb of God and the Spirit of Prophesy. The Holy Spirit reveals truth and things to come; He gives us boldness and utterance. The Father is over all,in all and through all; has given us every spiritual blessing in Christ and caused us to be born again to a living hope ... and many more for each.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im not too keen on those things..i saw the verse and it came to mind of me always wondering about that verse a long time ago, so i just asked. But yeah it doesnt really matter anymore..i was just skeptical about that verse..

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MATTHEW.24: =
No One Knows the Day or Hour
36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, (nor the Son - MARK.13:32) but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be."
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

JOHN.1:14 & 14:8-9 & 8:58/EXODUS.3:14 and 1TIMOTHY.3:16 say that Jesus Christ was God the Father who had come down to earth in the flesh in 000BC, as the Son of God.

1THESSALONIANS.4:16 says that the Father will be coming down to earth a 2nd time as the Son, to exact judgment on the unbelievers. When will this future event occur.? So, only the Father knows, not the Son.
... IOW, the Son will only know about the day and hour of His own 2nd Coming to earth when it is happening, as has been willed by the Father.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why should that be unexpected? It seems reasonable each member of the Godhead would have unique or non-overlapping duties. That is already true in many other instances, for example; Jesus is the Savior, Lamb of God and the Spirit of Prophesy. The Holy Spirit reveals truth and things to come; He gives us boldness and utterance. The Father is over all,in all and through all; has given us every spiritual blessing in Christ and caused us to be born again to a living hope ... and many more for each.

All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. (Matthew 11:27)

3860 paradídōmi (from 3844 /pará, "from close-beside" and 1325 /dídōmi, "give") – properly, to give (turn) over; "hand over from," i.e. to deliver over with a sense of close (personal) involvement.

All things are handed over to the Son, that includes authority, knowledge, wisdom and it would not be fitting if Jesus did not know what the Father knows, as scripture states......

17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known. (John 1:17-18)

For the Son to be ignorant of what the Father knows, puts to question the closeness of his relationship with the Father.

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

For Jesus to be the only way to the Father, means that he must not be ignorant of any things the Father knows, otherwise it would undermine the importance of that one to one relationship.

15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
19For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; (Colossians 1:15,19)

Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, (Hebrews 1:3)

For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (Colossians 2:9)

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, (nor the Son - MARK.13:32) but My Father only.

"Neither the Son"

"NOT the Son" instead of "Neither the Son"

"But the Father"

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To read a Jewish cultural text, one must understand the way words are phrased can a different meaning to the way they would be read out in English.

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not EVEN the Angels, NOT SO the Son, NOOOO NOT the Father.

When people try to interpret scripture, they must give a reasoned answer, not just highlight their version of how they understand it when read.

I have given many scriptural reasons why Jesus who is God is all knowing and that all authority, knowledge and wisdom is in his hands from the very declaration of John 1:1 and the Nicene Creed.

The text must therefore be read in a culturally correct manner, in order to yield the correct meaning.

Mark in the KJV tries to distinguish the Son from the human beings category, even though he took the form of a man, Jesus of Nazareth, yet Mark emphasise NOT SO the Son, meaning the Son is the exception, because he, like the Father is all knowing.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0