• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why doesn't anyone remember?

LazeyWinde

Blue Girl in a Spacey Haze
Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My father was physically and emotionally abusive to me when I was growing up and is emotionally abusive to me even today or he would be if I saw him more often instead of hiding in my room all day.
I remember him telling me that the Bible tells him to discipline your child and that it specifically told him he had to hit me as if it made him some kinda saint for being abusive. I remember I used to hate God when I was little because He's referred to as the Father and to me father was some mean guy looking for excuses to punish me. I didn't understand it when the other kids and people on TV were getting along with their Dad's.
I can remember it all very clearly but other member's of my family don't seem to have as good a memory about it. I tried talking to my closest sister about it and she remembers nothing (My youngest sister may recollect more as she is a self harmer like me but I don't see her much and we aren't close enough to talk about this sorta stuff) and I brought it up to my mother and she says she did not know about it... :mad: I'm pretty sure I had told her about Dad chasing me around the table to kick me and she was THERE when he left welts on the backs of my thighs with an arrow shaft (My Dad and I were into archery together, I was furious and humiliated when he joked with some other archers about how after the wooden arrows cracked and became useless he'd use them to beat me- yeah real economical there... I felt less than human :() I remember her looking at the welts and saying how she saw me 'jump' when he hit me so he missed my shorts and got bare skin- more than once? I was seeing a counselor at school at the time and I told her about it, aint that just the sorta thing a counselor should report? All she did was make me talk about it a lot until it seemed like all I did when I saw her was cry and go back to class with a tear stained face and fighting to keep more tears from coming in front of my classmates. :cry:
Nobody did anything to stop it and now I seem to be the only one to remember it. I remember I seemed to get it worse then my siblings, dunno if it was because I've always been stubborn or just because I was the oldest and he always said I should be an example to them. Plus mental illnesses aren't popular with my father and I'm pretty mental.
I don't think I've made all this up as I can remmeber it going on for years. The last time my father hit me was shortly before I turned 18. I told him I'd call the cops if he touched me again, he said it was none of the cops business but I think I scared him as he hasn't hit me since but he's still verbally abusive. When I'm sick/really tired I can hear his voice shouting at me.
A little over 2 months ago I had gone to the ER two nights in a row, I'd been self harming and struggling with the urge to self harm again the second night, I didn't hurt myself bad but I was hoping to get committed in the mental ward so I could get away from my father's mouth for a while and get help. I'd been back home for about a month and we were clashing nearly everyday. But they wouldn't keep me because I wasn't suicidal. When I got sent back the second time I confronted him about how he treated me. He asked if I wanted him to start hitting me again so I'd stop cutting and admitted "Maybe I was abusive but you deserved it"... Nothing good came of the confrontation and that was the last 'conversation' I had with him even though I'm living under the same roof. I got cable internet put in my room the following weekend and I rarely leave my room. I only go downstairs to get food or use the bathroom, sometimes I'll go down to watch a DVD but usually if he's not home. Thanksgiving was the longest time we were in the same room together and I avoided even talking to him.
This aint right... I'm turning agorophobic from staying in my room all the time and families shouldn't live this way. But I don't know what else to do. The last time I self harmed was almost three weeks ago, I still have marks and if he sees them I'm afraid he'll yell at me and that'll just make me want to do it again... it's like whenever he finds some flaw with me he has to make me feel like dirt about it.
Now I'm feeling kinda numb. :sigh:

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps your siblings don't remember anything because they choose not to remember. They may have blocked things out as if nothing ever happened. (My brother forgot most of his childhood for he blocked out a lot of abuse........I on the other hand can't seem to forget anything) In some cases, they may just be trying to avoid the topic all together. Regardless of the reasons.......YOU need to think of YOU and get through this. Cutting isn't going to solve anything, although I know from experience that it seems to help at the time. At one time, it looked as though a wildcat got a hold of me, but not only did I have the marks to explain, the pain was still there.........the scars that were left behind are even now the reminders of a wearily traveled road.
I would advise that the next time you feel like cutting, try to use coping skills to get your mind off the cutting. If it means thrashing a pillow, journaling, taking a walk, etc................If that doesn't seem to work, that would be the time to try and check into the hospital. Don't wait until the moment passes, when you're in the middle of an episode such as this, that's the time they are more likely to take you in and give you the help you need.
If you need to talk, please feel free to pm me anytime.
My prayers are with you!! :hug:

Upvote 0

LazeyWinde

Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I got a list of coping skills for when I get the urge so at the moment it's not too big of a problem, I felt like it for a couple hours yesterday but didn't. Cutting aint helped anything... just gave me physical scars to add to the emotional ones. I am not looking forward to wearing a bathing suit this summer. :(
Thank you Angelkiss.

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got a list of coping skills for when I get the urge so at the moment it's not too big of a problem, I felt like it for a couple hours yesterday but didn't. Cutting aint helped anything... just gave me physical scars to add to the emotional ones. I am not looking forward to wearing a bathing suit this summer. :(
Thank you Angelkiss.
You can get through this although I know there are times that it seems as if you're fighting a losing battle. Once you overcome one battle, you'll become stronger for the next, and then the next, and so on. I believe in you. If I can do it, I know you can. We're here for ya hun!! :hug:

Upvote 0

Amin

Mcintyre Man
Sep 30, 2005
Williamsport, Penna. U.S.
Visit site
✟1,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I feel really sorry for you.
A father is supposed to be there for you, not against you. You knowmthat if he harms you as an adult you can still call the police. He needs to know this isn't proper behaviour for a father, or anyone else.
Can you find any kind of a womans support group for those that are abused?
There has to be somewhere you can go to get help.
I'd look into it.
I would also say you're worth a lot more than self harming yourself.
You're a good person, it's not your fault these things happen.
Bless You.
Chuck.:hug: :hug:

Upvote 0

LazeyWinde

Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
He hasn't hit me in years but if he ever did you can bet I'd call the police on him. I think that night I came back from the ER was the last time he was verbally abusive to me and since I've been avoiding him he's hardly said anything to me besides asking me simple questions like "Did your brother come home yet?"
As far as I know there aren't any support groups in the area... I live in a really rural town so to go to one I'd probably have to get a ride to another town (I don't drive) and it'd have to be from my parents and telling them I'm going to a support group for survivors of abuse wouldn't go over very well.
But I'm supposd to see a new psychiatrist and therapist later his month.

Upvote 0

Amin

Mcintyre Man
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟1,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He hasn't hit me in years but if he ever did you can bet I'd call the police on him. I think that night I came back from the ER was the last time he was verbally abusive to me and since I've been avoiding him he's hardly said anything to me besides asking me simple questions like "Did your brother come home yet?"
As far as I know there aren't any support groups in the area... I live in a really rural town so to go to one I'd probably have to get a ride to another town (I don't drive) and it'd have to be from my parents and telling them I'm going to a support group for survivors of abuse wouldn't go over very well.
But I'm supposd to see a new psychiatrist and therapist later his month.
I'm glad you're going to see a new doctor
and therapist.
They should have answers to most of your questions.
No-one should have to live in fear.
Also, you are most definitely a person of worth. God loves you, Jesus died for you.
And we care for you. Please Take Care of yourself.
If you feel like self-harming and need help resisting, you can always PM me and we can talk, Okay?
Chuck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amin

Mcintyre Man
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟1,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sure, hopefully next time I got the urge I'll have the sense to talk to someone first.
I'm just concerned. I really hope your new doctor works out for you.
If you need to talk, don't forget, I;ll be more than willing to listen.
Chuck.

Upvote 0

LazeyWinde

Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I hope so too. My last therapist was great and wish I hadn't moved away from her. But I've talked to my friends and a lot of them have gotten therapists and such that either weren't a good match or were just plain lousy and worry I'll get stuck with one that doesn't work. :-/

Upvote 0

ConcreteAngel

Oct 25, 2006
✟15,750.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I hope so too. My last therapist was great and wish I hadn't moved away from her. But I've talked to my friends and a lot of them have gotten therapists and such that either weren't a good match or were just plain lousy and worry I'll get stuck with one that doesn't work. :-/
You never have to keep seeing someone who is not helping you...You have the right to choose and it's really important that you exercise that right....but all the same, i hope it works out well for you...it's horrible having to keep explaining what's happened to you time and time again.

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been through so many different therapists I've actually lost count. I had a few good ones and they always seemed to have picked up and left to go elsewhere, then it left me back at square one. I have finally found one that I can really confide in and she really cares. She does leave from time to time, for she does missionary out of the country, but I can still track her down if I really need her.
Praying that you find a therapist who best suits you.
:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bianca01

Jan 10, 2007
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am feeling deep sadness when I read your story. I have been through abuse (different), but, I do identify with the "numb" feeling you describe. And also the non-forgiving attitude. Sometimes it is difficult to keep the forgiveness going. Maybe we can pray for each other in that area. I will also pray for you that you have the energy to do things for yourself that will lead to a greater independence. Your father had no right to treat you that way. If you ever have children of your own it will really come to life for you. He was wrong. I pray that he will silence his abusive words and that peace come over your home until you can get the means to have a home of your own. Take care.

Upvote 0

Gatorgal

Senior Veteran
Jan 2, 2007
Arkansas
✟19,458.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello! I know how you feel. My dad was the same as yours. I hated him for years, just wanted him to die. I remember one time, my mom was working, she called to check on us, my dad took the phone receiver and hit me in the back of the head with it, knocked me out, but you know, the worst part about that was that my little sister saw what had happened and thought I was dead. I deal with panic and really bad anxiety I believe over my childhood. I can remember all of it, sometimes I wish I couldn't. I am sorry that your mom did not stand up for you more. I use to beg my mom to leave him, but she would always say " I know God is going to save him". Well, I really didn't care about that I just wanted him gone, but when I was 15 years old my dad did accept Christ as his Savior! I should have been happy, but I wasn't. One year later my mom died, that really set my hate a blaze. I was like you, I could not forgive him. I got married when I was 19, the Lord started working on my heart. I did forgive my dad, we ended up having a wonderful relationship. He died in 1996. I really miss him, never thought I would be saying that. You have to forgive him, even if you don't ever have a relationship with him. God says we have to forgive in order for him to forgive us. Please don't let him ruin your happiness. First, put God ahead of everything else in your life, let him do the repairing of your heart. I know you will make it. Take care.

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When bad things happen, some people cope by supressing the memory or convincing themselves it never happened. That is very possible what happened with your family members.

Just know you aren't alone. I can't possibly say anything that will make it get better, but as soon as I find a magic wand (and I sure could use one myself too), I'll let you know so you can use it too.

*hugs*

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember her looking at the welts and saying how she saw me 'jump' when he hit me so he missed my shorts and got bare skin- more than once? I was seeing a counselor at school at the time and I told her about it, aint that just the sorta thing a counselor should report? All she did was make me talk about it a lot until it seemed like all I did when I saw her was cry and go back to class with a tear stained face and fighting to keep more tears from coming in front of my classmates. :cry:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was browsing page after page of threads on this subforum. When this particular one really spoke to me.

You have expressed in words something that has been bothering me for literally decades. I never have been able to express it, but you have done it for me.

I've been depressed for what seems forever because I have never felt I could tell anyone of what bothered me as a kid. Because of the common thing I've always heard:

"Well, that's just what was done in that day".

Today, if you went to your school counsellor talking about beatings with visible evidence of welts, he/she would promptly call child welfare authorities. Because corporal punishment has been made illegal in schools (most Western nations anyway) and is greatly reduced in the home-because of strict child welfare rules. Here in Australia for eg, the rule is you cannot leave a mark on a child.

But your school counsellor just "talked" and did nothing because in your day, corporal punishment leaving welts was acceptable.

And there is the problem you had and I've faced all my life. I can't legitimately have any understanding from people from the hurts I faced because it was a regular practice then-both at school and home.

I called a couple of counsellors in a desparate attempt for understanding-just like you saw your school counsellor. When I told one particular person, she just scoffed at me and said:

"So what if you got beaten at school. My husband got the cane at school".

Because in my time, if the majority of boys got the strap or cane, it's not abuse-because it was done to everybody. And it was not just one counsellor that told me this. Another woman blatantly told me:

"Well that was the norm at school in those days".

Another one told me that most boys would have gone through their beatings in boyish pride, seeing who could out do each other for getting the most beatings. Well let me tell you something. At my school, there was a principals office next to the school office with the most unusual walk way inbetween you ever saw. There were 2 doors put together, back to back. And get this, both were lined with carpet!

Why? Soundproofing. I'll let you figure out what for.

So I've been bottled up for decades because I can't say to anyone what things I saw and felt because it isn't classified as abuse. You have expressed what I've wanted to say for a long time. So thank you.

Anyway, I hope you're better now. I'm not. Because I live with a head full of hurts and bad memories and can never complain of it because "that was the norm back then".

I copped it then and I'm copping it now even still.

Upvote 0