Why does the Gospel contain nothing about believing Yeshua is God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
PM (14+)
John 3:16 believe that he is God's Son.

John 3:16
16For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Paul said to believe in your heart God raised Yeshua from the dead, and confess with your mouth Yeshua is lord.

Romans 10:9
9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Paul said the gospel that saves involves believing Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4
1Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Paul also said that the gospel is God's power, not Christs.

Romans 1:16
16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

Paul also believed it is God who justifies, not Christ.

Galatians 3:8-9
8And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

Do you believe that the gospel is God's power to salvation for all of those who believe in their heart that He raised Yeshua from the dead, that God sent His Son because He loved the world, that Christ died for our sins, was buried, and raised again on the third day so that all who believe in him will not perish but have eternal life? I do!

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
There are many types of gospels and not all tell a person how to have God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation. The gospel that does tell a person how to have Eternal Life salvation, will point the person to Jesus, so they may believe in Jesus to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

What Paul is addressing in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is not how to receive Eternal Life but that some believers were saying there is no resurrection of the dead, so He (Paul) is addressing that in 1 Corinthians 15

Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

16For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Paul said to believe in your heart God raised Yeshua from the dead, and confess with your mouth Yeshua is lord.

9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Paul said the gospel that saves involves believing Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day.

1Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

8And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

Do you believe that the gospel is God's power to salvation for all of those who believe in their heart that He raised Yeshua from the dead, that God sent His Son because He loved the world, that Christ died for our sins, was buried, and raised again on the third day so that all who believe in him will not perish but have eternal life? I do!
Once again READ John.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The gospels contain language describing Jesus as the Word of God, also the Son of God. Those two terms have the same meaning. They are also found in the writings of Philo of Alexandria that describe God as a Divine Triad. According to Philo, the icon of God is the Ark of the Covenant. God the Father sits on the Mercy Seat between His two eternal powers, represented by the two cherubim, one on the left, the other on the right. One of those eternal powers is His creative and sustaining power, the Word. It is through God's Word that all things were created and all things consist. See:

Jhn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jhn 1:3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

See also:

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

Col 1:16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

Col 1:17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.

As the first born of all creation, his relationship to God the Father is generational. He is the Son of God. The first confession of faith found in the gospels was made by Peter:

Mat 16:16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

To acknowledge him as the "Son of the living God" is to acknowledge that he is the first born of all creation and that he is the Word, the eternal creative power of God, that Word being with God from the beginning and that Word being God.

Upvote 0

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay so since the gospel doesn't contain anything explicit about believing Yeshua is God then those who follow what the Bible says are still saved if they don't believe that, but rather believe he is the Christ, the Son of the living God?

Matthew 16:15-17
15He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

16Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What comes to mind is Christ saying when I tell you earthly things and you can't understand how will you understand heavenly things. This is whats happening here. Well why leave out the start of John? "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth"

This is just John didn't even touch the rest of the NT nor the OT. Christ told them if you believed Moshe (Moses) you would believe me because he wrote of me. Who do you think Adam and Eve walked with? Who do think talked with Moses? Who do you think came down to see if what He heard in heaven was true and if true He would know it. How talked to Abraham? "So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant?”

Now that was no angel because no one ever falls down before and worships them.. so much more. He is who He said He was.. but what matters most do/we know Him as lord believe in Him..

Reactions: oikonomia
Upvote 0

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What comes to mind is Christ saying when I tell you earthly things and you can't understand how will you understand heavenly things. This is whats happening here. Well why leave out the start of John? "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth"

This is just John didn't even touch the rest of the NT nor the OT. Christ told them if you believed Moshe (Moses) you would believe me because he wrote of me. Who do you think Adam and Eve walked with? Who do think talked with Moses? Who do you think came down to see if what He heard in heaven was true and if true He would know it. How talked to Abraham? "So He said, “No, but as Commander of the army of the LORD I have now come.” And Joshua fell on his face to the earth and worshiped, and said to Him, “What does my Lord say to His servant?”

Now that was no angel because no one ever falls down before and worships them.. so much more. He is who He said He was.. but what matters most do/we know Him as lord believe in Him..

I have no reason to believe Yeshua is God simply because he never said so and the Bible never says it. I've seen the rest of the New Testament. All of the alleged proofs for him being God are neither explicit and can be explained. Read more of my posts, I go into great detail revealing the spiritual things of the Bible that so many seem to misunderstand.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are Jn 1:1, Jn 1:4 not in your Bible?

The Bible tells us to believe Scripture, and Scripture tells us that the Word is God (Jn 1:1) and who became flesh to dwell among us (Jn 1:14).

One gets to decide whether to believe Jn 1:1, Jn 1:14 or not.
Some choose unbelief.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe Jesus is God based, but have been researching arguments that he isn't. It is interesting & I can understand where people wouldn't think he is not God based off reading the Bible.
I have a question: what do unitarians believe he is then? Just a man w/ power God has given him exactly like Moses? Or that he's a lesser god (Remember, even tho Judiasm is monotheism, they still believe in angels)? I am unclear on the unitarian perspective on who Jesus was. Most unitarian items I'm reading or listening to are simply interested in deconstructing Jesus as God & not offering who exactly he is then, which perspective.

It's all very confusing to me. Early Christians clearly worshipped Jesus, but if he wasn't God, why were they worshipping him? Unless it wasn't considered the same as worshipping the Father.

I don't know, I'm new to learning the unitarian perspective.

Part of me thinks it's kind of unfair you wouldn't be considered Christians by a lot of other believers even tho believers disagree on a lot of items (I think most disagreements are unimportant & this COULD BE potentially one of them)

Upvote 0

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe Jesus is God based, but have been researching arguments that he isn't. It is interesting & I can understand where people wouldn't think he is not God based off reading the Bible.
I have a question: what do unitarians believe he is then? Just a man w/ power God has given him exactly like Moses? Or that he's a lesser god (Remember, even tho Judiasm is monotheism, they still believe in angels)? I am unclear on the unitarian perspective on who Jesus was. Most unitarian items I'm reading or listening to are simply interested in deconstructing Jesus as God & not offering who exactly he is then, which perspective.

It's all very confusing to me. Early Christians clearly worshipped Jesus, but if he wasn't God, why were they worshipping him? Unless it wasn't considered the same as worshipping the Father.

Part of me thinks it's kind of unfair you wouldn't be considered Christians by a lot of other believers even tho believers disagree on a lot of items (I think most disagreements are unimportant & this COULD BE potentially one of them)

Hi DragonFox, thanks for taking time to investigate

Typically Unitarians believe Yeshua is who he explicitly said he is. For example, Yeshua said he is the Messiah/Christ, begotten Son of God, the Son of Man, and a Jewish man. I believe that and Unitarians accept that as well.

As far as the miracles go, the doctrines, the power/authority, etc, We believe those were all supplied by God.

The verses that Trinitarians and others will say are proofs of Yeshua being God, though none of them are explicit from my perspective, Unitarians would understand them within their local/remote context or by examining the translation for accuracy.

Since Unitarians believe there is only one God known as the Father then that foundational knowledge determines how we understand the Bible.

As far as being Christian go, yes Unitarians are Christian and believe in the Son of God, the Messiah, etc. They recognize God as the Father, believe in God's Son as the sacrifice for sins, believe in repentance from all sin, and holy righteous/living.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

There are ramifications to denial of Jesus as God (Jn 1:1, 14) and, therefore, denial of the Trinity.

It scales down the gospel:
denying the majesty of God, for they have God begetting inferior beings who are not divine,
redeeming by proxy, not involving his person in the redemption and sanctification of men, paying no personal price, thereby
robbing God of his glory (Ex 14:14).

They have to make God too small--and they do. They take out the very heart, core and meaning of Christian faith in God.
They deny the overwhelming testimony of the gospel, beginning with Jn 1:1, 14.

Upvote 0

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are ramifications to denial of Jesus as God (Jn 1:1, 14) and, therefore, denial of the Trinity.

It scales down the gospel:
denying the majesty of God, for they have God begetting inferior beings who are not divine,
redeeming by proxy, not involving his person in the redemption and sanctification of men, paying no personal price, thereby
robbing God of his glory (Ex 14:14).

They have to make God too small--and they do. They take out the very heart, core and meaning of Christian faith in God.
They deny the overwhelming testimony of the gospel, beginning with Jn 1:1, 14.

John 1:1 says the word is God, not Yeshua. When you're reading that, don't forget this key point. Yeshua has a Father who he referred to as his God. When God is mentioned, we must know that it is the God of Yeshua and the one and only true God. John 1:14 refers to God's word creating Yeshua. The word of God became flesh and Yeshua was begotten. When God creates, we know He does so with words. Think back to the story of the Holy Spirit and Mary where Yeshua was conceived by the Holy Spirit. Yeshua didn't exist up until he was the only begotten Son of God.

So, once again, none of the gospel points say to believe he is God in order to be saved. Actually, they say believe in your heart God raised him from the dead and that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation. Yeshua is the Christ, but he was also the deliverer of this message, a mouthpiece for God. Hebrews 1 says so.

Hebrews 1:2
2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He made the ages,

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 1:1 says the word is God,
The Bible tells us to believe Scripture, and Scripture tells us that the Word is God (Jn 1:1) and that
the Word who is God became flesh and dwelt among us (Jn 1:14).

Some choose unbelief.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Bible tells us to believe Scripture, and Scripture tells us that the Word is God (Jn 1:1) and that

Some choose unbelief.

It refers to the word, that is the logos, the wisdom and plans being expressed by God to create Yeshua. When Yeshua came into being he gave the revelation of God's word to people. People believe John 1:1, 14 but the way you seem to understand it. I'm convinced your version can't be right considering the rest of scripture that says otherwise.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It refers to the word,

Some choose unbelief.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Some choose unbelief.
The Bible also tells us to not add to nor take away from the scripture. You can't have the word being God (John 1:1) and simultaneously being a human being in John 1:14. The way to understand this is through believing scripture. Read Genesis 1 where in the beginning God spoke through His Spirit in creation. John 1 parallels Genesis 1. The Word (logos) refers to God speaking to create. John 1 refers to God creating Yeshua as one begotten from Father. If he's begotten by the word, then he wasn't the word prior to being begotten. I don't think they were trying to confuse anyone. In your case it's a matter of an unspiritual person trying to understand spiritual things.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible also tells us to not add to nor take away from the scripture. You can't have the word being God (John 1:1) and simultaneously being a human being in John 1:14. The way to understand this is through believing scripture. Read Genesis 1 where in the beginning God spoke through His Spirit in creation. John 1 parallels Genesis 1. The Word (logos) refers to God speaking to create. John 1 refers to God creating Yeshua as one begotten from Father. If he's begotten by the word, then he wasn't the word prior to being begotten. I don't think they were trying to confuse anyone. In your case it's a matter of an unspiritual person trying to understand spiritual things.
the Word who is God became flesh and dwelt among us ( 1:14).

Some choose unbelief.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What is this the 4th thread from the same person trying to deny that Jesus Christ is God, the Son of God the Father, God: The Father, Son, & Holy Spirit as explained by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself in the Gospel of John chapters 14, 15, & 16. One God ( Deuteronomy 6:4) Who defines Himself to us as He reveals Himself to us.

This person goes on & on after being refuted over and over. His usual approach to Trinitarian believers is “that is your opinion”. This person had to finally acknowledge his (her) error but still claim well a lotta people disagree with you (so there). See post (# 108) from this thread:

Upvote 0

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and is at the Father’s side, has made Him known.
J 1:18

John 1:18
18No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.