Why does my nation Canada give so little to foreign aid?

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have been attempting to make Canadians more aware of the reasons for this since 2004.

Haven't seen Canada feeding many poor throughout the world lately?
They do no good works yet accuse others.
Nothing new under the sun.
MB

My 2006, my 2008 and my 2004 campaign writings by DennisTate.

"As I have told many of you, the reason why I am running for the office of Municipal Councillor is because I believe that Canada had a much better monetary and banking system in the past and that we must force our provincial and federal politicians to abandon our present banking system and utilize the taxation and monetary system visualized by the men who drafted the original Canadian Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy

"During the Civil War (from 1861 - 1865), President Lincoln needed money to finance the War from the North. The Bankers were going to charge him 24% to 36% interest. Lincoln was horrified and went away greatly distressed, for he was a man of principle and would not think of plunging his beloved country into a debt that the country would find impossible to pay back.

Eventually President Lincoln was advised to get Congress to pass a law authorizing the printing of full legal tender Treasury notes to pay for the War effort. Lincoln recognized the great benefits of this issue.

At one point he wrote:"...(we) gave the people of this Republic the greatest blessing they have ever had - their own paper money to pay their own debts..."

"In 1972, the United States Treasury Department was asked to compute the amount of interest that would have been paid if that 400 million dollars would have been borrowed at interest instead of being issued by Abraham Lincoln. They did some computations, and a few weeks later, the United States Treasury Department said the United States Government saved 4 billion dollars in interest because Lincoln had created his own money. So you can about imagine how much the Government has paid and how much we owe solely on the basis of interest."

"Unpayable debts

“This means that just to maintain the same amount of money in circulation in our country, year after year, unpayable debts must pile up. For example, if one wants to maintain only $100 in circulation, year after year, by borrowing at 6% interest, the debt will be $106 after one year, then $112.36 after two years ($106 plus the 6% interest), and so on. After 70 years, the debt will have reached the sum of $5,907.59, and there will still be only $100 in circulation.”

In the case of public debts, the bankers are satisfied as long as the interest on the debt is paid. Is it a favour they do to us? No, it only delays the financial impasse for a few years since, after a while, even the interest on the debt becomes unpayable. Thus, in the example of the $100 borrowed at 6%, the interest due on the debt will have reached $104.26 after 50 years, which is more than all the money in circulation.”

No wonder then that the national debts of all the civilized countries in the world are reaching astronomical proportions. For example, Canada's national debt, which was $24 billion in 1975, is now over $500 billion, and the interest on this debt costs over $40 billion per year, or about one third of all the taxes collected by the Federal Government; this percentage keeps increasing year after year. So, to satisfy the bankers, the Government must slash all its other expenditures.

Will the Government wait until servicing the debt takes 100% of the taxes, to change the system, or will it prefer to let people starve? Moreover, the national debt is only the peak of the iceberg: there are also the debts of the provinces, municipalities, corporations and individuals!”
(Michael Journal).

........I believe that the massive government spending cutbacks in health care and in our Canadian Armed Forces, over the past several decades, has certainly resulted in many premature deaths in Canada? It could even be argued that General Romeo Dallaire might well have been instrumental in warding off the genocide in Rawanda but, every major decision in Canada has been profoundly affected by our flawed monetary system. We have defined ourselves as essentially bankrupt in order to please a small but powerful segment of our population.

I believe that government spending cutbacks in our RCMP and in our Coast Guard is partly to blame for the fact that perhaps two thirds of the drugs that reach American cities come into North America through secluded and difficult to police areas of the Nova Scotia coastline.

If our federal politicians are not partly to blame in all this, then who is?

(Dennis Tate, 2004)

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe that government spending cutbacks in our RCMP and in our Coast Guard is partly to blame for the fact that perhaps two thirds of the drugs that reach American cities come into North America through secluded and difficult to police areas of the Nova Scotia coastline.

It sounds like you are just inventing "facts" to support the narrative you want to tell. You provide no evidence. Please provide links to reputable sources that confirm the "fact that perhaps two thirds of the drugs that reach American cities come into North America through secluded and difficult to police areas of the Nova Scotia coastline."

If our federal politicians are not partly to blame in all this, then who is?

(Dennis Tate, 2004)
How can the government be responsible for something that appears to only exist in your imagination?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It sounds like you are just inventing "facts" to support the narrative you want to tell. You provide no evidence. Please provide links to reputable sources that confirm the "fact that perhaps two thirds of the drugs that reach American cities come into North America through secluded and difficult to police areas of the Nova Scotia coastline."

How can the government be responsible for something that appears to only exist in your imagination?

That statistic was given to me by a retired RCMP officer and his reasoning sounded logical.

The shoreline of Nova Scotia is very difficult to patrol.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

There is a very simple table here that illustrates how compound interest over a number of years can cause our governments to appear to be in terrible trouble financially...... which is useful to the people who wish to dampen the economy.

This is not an entirely bad thing in that it can help to protect the environment from consumption gone wild but...... I think that we are in a situation where this problem needs to become common knowledge.

Banks create money as a debt

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is a very simple table here that illustrates how compound interest over a number of years can cause our governments to appear to be in terrible trouble financially...... which is useful to the people who wish to dampen the economy.

This is not an entirely bad thing in that it can help to protect the environment from consumption gone wild but...... I think that we are in a situation where this problem needs to become common knowledge.

Banks create money as a debt
You are confused. My post had nothing to do with finances. It was regarding your statement that 2/3 of drugs coming into American cities come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia.

Did you just invent this "fact", or do you have a reputable source to back it up?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That statistic was given to me by a retired RCMP officer and his reasoning sounded logical.

The shoreline of Nova Scotia is very difficult to patrol.

Am I correct in thinking that anybody can tell you anything and you might believe it based on what you think "sounded logical"? I certainly hope this is not the case as that would mean you are easily misled.

Please provide a link from a reputable source to confirm that as you stated 2/3 of all drugs in American cities come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia. I will be honest that this sounds ridiculous. But I could be wrong and would like to know if I am in this matter.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Am I correct in thinking that anybody can tell you anything and you might believe it based on what you think "sounded logical"? I certainly hope this is not the case as that would mean you are easily misled.

Please provide a link from a reputable source to confirm that as you stated 2/3 of all drugs in American cities come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia. I will be honest that this sounds ridiculous. But I could be wrong and would like to know if I am in this matter.

Here is an article on it......... but no guess as to the magnitude of the problem.

12 people charged in N.S. high seas drug bust

"The amount of drugs alone, in itself, is an indication of what organized crime will go through to bring drugs into this country."

Police said the group accused of running the smuggling operation is well-known in Ontario, but they didn't provide any more details about the organization.

The drugs were likely being smuggled in through Nova Scotia because the province
can be accessed easily by sea, said Insp. Brennan.

"I think one of the things that leads organized crime to using the East Coast is the vast coastline, the small communities, the small bays," he said. "The ability to use the geography of the area to work in a covert type of environment."

Aside from the Canadian Armed Forces, the RCMP also worked with the drug section of Halifax Regional Police, Hamilton police in Ontario and the Canadian Coast Guard

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Maritime Drug Smuggling and Rum-Running

No doubt, John Bernard MacIsaac, whose home was once a safe haven for bootleggers, would appreciate the irony if he were still alive. His son-in-law, after all, spends his working hours trying to stop international drug cartels from turning isolated stretches of Nova Scotia coastline into a pipeline for moving narcotics into North America. The job has its frustrations: despite 17 major busts during the past 11 years, narcotics enforcement officials are under no illusion that they're beating the drug lords. "It's like a balloon," concedes Fred Gallop, Nova Scotia coordinator for the RCMP's Coastal and Airport Watch Program. "You choke it off in one place and it just pops up somewhere else."

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here is an article on it......... but no guess as to the magnitude of the problem.

12 people charged in N.S. high seas drug bust
Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying that these 12 people are responsible for 2/3 of the drugs in American cities?

Nowhere do I see any information to support your claim that 2/3 of all drugs in American cities come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia. That was your claim and that is what you need to provide a link for. As I said earlier, I believe this is a ridiculous assertion, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong, please provide a link. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
  • Useful
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Still nothing supporting your claim that 2/3 of the drugs in American cities come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia.

Your only "evidence" you have provided so far is the story that someone told you this is the case, you thought it made sense, therefore it is true.
Perhaps he thought that a government agent working in the field that we are talking about might know more about the matter than someone at a computer halfway around the world from the location in question.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps he thought that a government agent working in the field that we are talking about might know more about the matter than someone at a computer halfway around the world from the location in question.
I never claimed to know how many drugs come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia. I did ask that Dennis provide a reliable source link to support his claim that this is 2/3 of all drugs in American cities.

So you see my friend, you did not comprehend the conversation, and thus your comments make no sense. Do not forget that understanding what you are talking about helps immensely when having a discussion. I know Trump can get away with talking about things he knows nothing about, but then he is a very good salesman.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I never claimed to know how many drugs come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia. .
No, but I read in that post that you know enough to dismiss the findings of an officer of the state who has a personal knowledge of the situation.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, but I read in that post that you know enough to dismiss the findings of an officer of the state who has a personal knowledge of the situation.
This is why people sound foolish when they join a conversation without comprehending properly. I said in my opinion it sounded ridiculous, but that I could be wrong and to please provide a link confirming that 2/3 of all drugs entering American cities come through the state of Nova Scotia.

It is OK, you do not need to apologize. Just take the time to know what you are talking about next time. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Still nothing supporting your claim that 2/3 of the drugs in American cities come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia.

Your only "evidence" you have provided so far is the story that someone told you this is the case, you thought it made sense, therefore it is true.

It was back during the '90's when he told me this...... and I am sure that he was not referring to the southern USA, but he did mean north eastern USA and central Canada.

To what degree he was accurate.... I don't know..... but he was a retired RCMP officer and knew more about this than most of us would.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Going back to the original post, I just did a little research. Last year on a per capita basis Canada donated $134.19 to foreign aid. The USA donated $94.95. Iceland is far more generous than either Canada or the USA.

• Informative
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Going back to the original post, I just did a little research. Last year on a per capita basis Canada donated $134.19 to foreign aid. The USA donated $94.95. Iceland is far more generous than either Canada or the USA.
That is very encouraging to hear. Thank you for that JackRT.

I have got to do some more research on what our government does but I do know that a serious error was made in 1974 that made it difficult for our government to do as much for other nations as had been the case from 1940 to 1974.

The Bank of Canada Must Finance our Country, Debt-Free Say Three Economists

A lesson from the War

“As the deep recession dragged into 1992, Finance Minister Don Mazankowski said he couldn't do anything about it. His hands were tied, he said. The federal government was broke. The cupboard was bare. The deficit and accumulated national debt were so enormous that his first priority had to be to reduce them — even if that meant prolonging the recession and making it even worse.

“So his budget contained almost nothing to revive the sick economy. With interest payments on the debt gobbling up one-third of tax revenue, his response was to keep taxes high and axe more public services and agencies. Like Martin Luther before him, Mazankowski in effect proclaimed: «Here stand I. I cannot do otherwise.

“But it doesn't take an economist to see that in fact he could. All you have to do is imagine what the government would do if it got involved in another Gulf War — or if that war were still raging. Would the Finance Minister have brought down the same kind of budget? Would he have said, «We'd like to keep on fighting, but we're broke, so we're calling our troops back»? Not on your life!

“Did Canada surrender half way through World War II because the national debt had grown even larger than the Gross Domestic Product (GDP)? Of course not! Somehow the extra money was found. If it wasn't by raising taxes or borrowing from the private banks, why, the Bank of Canada simply created all the money the government needed — and at near-zero interest rates, too!

“When World War II ended, the national debt relative to the national income was more than twice as large as it is now. But was the country ruined? Did we have to declare national bankruptcy? Far from it! Instead, Canada's economy boomed and the country prospered for most of the post-war period.”

The Bank of Canada has failed in its duty

“Why isn't the same thing happening today? Why was a much larger national debt shrugged off in 1945, while today's much smaller debt (as a percentage of GDP) is being used as an excuse to let the economy stagnate?

“The answer can be found at the Bank of Canada. During the war, and for 30 years afterward, the government could borrow what it needed at low rates of interest, because the government's own bank produced up to half of all the new money. That forced the private banks to keep their interest rates low, too.

“Since the mid-1970s, however, the Bank of Canada, with government consent, has been creating less and less of the new money, while letting the private banks create more and more. Today «our» bank creates a mere 2% of each year's new money supply, while allowing the private banks to gouge the government — and of course you and me, as well — with outrageously high interest rates. And it is these extortionate interest charges that are the principal cause of the rapid escalation of the national debt. If the federal government were paying interest at the average levels that prevailed from the 1930s to the mid-1970s, it would now be running an operating surplus of about $13 billion!”

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are confused. My post had nothing to do with finances. It was regarding your statement that 2/3 of drugs coming into American cities come through the Canadian state of Nova Scotia.

Did you just invent this "fact", or do you have a reputable source to back it up?

Here is an interesting article, but you are correct..... our west coast seems to be just as much of a problem as our east coast.

Illegal drugs: Canada's growing international market

The report says the Canadian-based trade in methamphetamine has grown so much since 2003 that by 2007, 83 per cent of all methamphetamine seized in Australia came from Canada. In Japan, the figure was 62 per cent.

The report notes that in 2006, only five per cent of the methamphetamine manufactured in Canada was exported. A year later, that figure was 20 per cent.

It's a similar trend for the street drug ecstasy. Since 2003, the report says, Canada has emerged as the primary source of ecstasy for North American markets. In 2007, 50 per cent of the ecstasy produced in labs in Canada was exported — mostly to the United States, Australia and Japan.

In 2007, Japan identified Canada as the single biggest source for seized ecstasy tablets, followed by the Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium.

The report says much of the trade is controlled by Asian gangs that bring in the chemicals they need by ship from China.

Steve Walton, a former Calgary police detective and street drug expert, says organized criminals are exploiting what they see as a weakness in Canada's justice system.

"The Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, which has been in place for more than 10 years, is a very good piece of legislation from a law enforcement perspective. But it is interpreted by provincial courts and sometimes the interpretation is very liberal and the criminals are well aware of that."

Walton said Canada's large coastlines are difficult to monitor, making it easier for organized criminals to get their product out of the country.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Yonny has definitely done me a favor because the retired RCMP officer lives about five miles from me and I now know that I should drop in and visit him and ask him the specifics of the context of his statement from twenty or more years ago.

For instance.... he could have meant about seventy percent of illegal drugs.... from a specific nation or continent....... with a general destination.... .for example central Canada plus north eastern USA?????

He filled me in on how biker gangs....
buy a house in small fishing communities..... and do wild parties.......
where they spend a lot of money.....
and they invite only certain people to those parties...... which is all an attempt to build relationships with some fishermen....
so that they can find ways to meet ships well off shore.... to bring in drugs.

This basic idea ties in with another discussion that I have going because the young women at those biker house parties..... other than becoming a NARC working for the RCMP... .could become actresses.... playing the role of themselves.... in reality film projects..........
that are partly, significantly or fully financed by the local churches............
Those young women could become Christian missionaries.....?????
along the line of Ms. Betty Page?????

North American churches should each have their own currency!

Upvote 0