Why does my life matter?

Chilaha

Aug 28, 2011
✟18,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi all,
I've been struggling with the thought of why my life matters. I thought did, up until now. I was sitting in history class learning about the 1800s and though "what did they do with their life"? Or, I'm thinking as time goes on, my achievements, how hard I work, or how "Godly" I was doesn't seem like it will matter. No one will remember me and 200 years from now life will be better because they will have better "things" and etc.
So, I'm note sure. Why do my accomplishments and etc. matter?

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are no guarantees that 200 years from now life will be better - or if there will even be life at all. The entire world is coming together, toward some kind of reckoning with its own fatal brokenness, and the prognosis doesn't seem good at all from an earthly POV.

Valuing your life is a tough question to let get a hold of you, but it can be valuable, as it points to two truths:

First, as LL said, your life matters because you are made in God's image. He cared enough to lay down His life for you. That imputes a whole lot of value to your life. But the question remains, how to realize that value, and what to do with it. That leads to:

Second, Paul tells us that because One died, all have died (2Cor 5.14). That means that the former way of judging ourselves, according to the superficial values and assessments of this world, no longer hold any authority over us. Our lives take on purpose only as we perceive and attain the purposes the Lord has set out for us.

The judgments of the history books and the plaudits of man by themselves mean nothing. They are debatable and can be bought and sold. What matters is living fully sold out to the Lord, being faithful even in the small things (1Thess 3.8). He has promised that what we give Him in secret will be returned to us in multiple - pressed-down, shaken together, running over - even by the hand of man.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Feeling re-born or refreshed if you like is the pure peace of Jesus working inside you as your faith becomes stronger automatically without your mind focusing so hard all the time on Jesus because he is within our hearts for all eternity: meaning that our lives are temporary on Earth but permanent in God's kingdom when Jesus returns to rule the whole family of saved believers. If God knows our future then he knows how advanced humans have achieved in science and technology, such as the internet and Microsoft's Windows in computers and netbooks. I can imagine or visualize what's it like to live in God's very advanced kingdom where there are no animal or insect pests, or dangerous bacteria and viruses that cause medical expenses to go through the roof - or even worse, local doctors over-prescribing drugs to patients and therefore other alien symptoms show up and create further disastrous time-consuming work for doctors and nurses in hospital where wages seem inadequate.:*:.
We Christians in our global community wait patiently for the coming of our victorious Lord Jesus, hopefully very soon in the future, so that Satan can be defeated and sin can be deleted once Jesus has transformed our old earth-born selves to new glorious minds and bodies of Christ...
As we socialize together as brothers and sisters of Christ in God's most massive and most modern place of Community: the Kingdom of God on a new oceanless planet Earth where Christ's supernatural joy will be so over-joyous, our hearts will be so very positive and our faces so very always smiling.:*:.
:liturgy:

:cool:

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The things my father handed down to(us) his children was from his dad and grandfather...which means that information from just those to men is far more than two hundred years old... "we" the offspring of a much older father really appreciate
all that wisdom/knowledge from our dad, grandfather and great-grandfather passed
along the family line.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Why does my life matter?"

Really, not very much. I know in motivational courses etc we are pumped up to believe we are SO special but we aren't. If you died tomorrow life would continue on quite nicely. You DO play a part in the present, the age in which God has called you to bless those few people around you in your own unique way. But even THEN if you died they would adjust/heal and march on by God's grace.

This does change in rare moments of history: I wonder how the world would be if Hitler died in the crib, or Lois Pasteur would not have made it. But we mere mortals eking out our bland existence is fairly trivial to the world as a whole.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindfulness

Fear the Reaper - He's comin' for You.
Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
"Why does my life matter?"

Really, not very much. I know in motivational courses etc we are pumped up to believe we are SO special but we aren't. If you died tomorrow life would continue on quite nicely. You DO play a part in the present, the age in which God has called you to bless those few people around you in your own unique way. But even THEN if you died they would adjust/heal and march on by God's grace.

This does change in rare moments of history: I wonder how the world would be if Hitler died in the crib, or Lois Pasteur would not have made it. But we mere mortals eking out our bland existence is fairly trivial to the world as a whole.

Wow, that's great advice.

You sir, should open a counselling practice to spread hope to millions!

Upvote 0

Saved_n_kept

Pilgrim and Stranger
Aug 1, 2010
Tarbert, Argyll.
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Shorter Catechism asks the question, "What is the chief end of man?" and then gives this answer. "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him for ever."

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (1Co 10:31)

Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. (Psa 73:25-26)

Oh, and the Bible is the rule book He has given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy Him!

Upvote 0
E

Eiginn

What is the purpose of life?

1. Where did you come from?
According to the Bible, we were created in the image of the Most High Himself.

2. Why are you here?
You are here, because God created you in the womb before your mother even knew you existed. Your purpose in life is discover your purpose in life. If you know who you creator is, you can discover why He created you. If you have a relationship with the Creator, He can lead you to discover His purpose for your life.

3. Where are you going?
Shoot, I don't even know that. I can make my plans, but it is God who directs my steps. Plan on persecution :). God likes to test His disciples.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"God wouldn't make you if you were insignificant."

Oh, that is so true and I would not say anyone is void of significance. It's just that in our narcissistic culture we need to remember humility. We aren't THAT important.

TEST: Without research, give the first names of your great-great grandparents and what kind of personality they had. Tough one, and so shall we be. Sad to think about but it's true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your life matters because you are part of God's master plan, and because you will give Him praise and glory in your actions and words. Your Earthly accomplishments may not be remembered here, but that probably only matters to your Earthly ego.

Our lives also matter because this is the time that the Holy Spirit works to make us more like He wants us to be. Consider 1 Corinthians 3:10-15:

10By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. 11For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

This gives us an idea that entering Heaven is different for a person who builds a strong foundation while on Earth, as opposed to someone who lives a life of worldly sin, yet is still saved through repentance and God's mercy.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I always think of those things too. I sometimes fall into those thoughts where I think that my life is unimportant if I don't do anything spectacular and become a 'somebody' worth putting on Wikipedia.

But the truth is, who cares?

It was only this week that I've started to find it all out myself. Don't get me wrong, I still feel that way. I realize how much of attention and acknowledgement I've been craving for all these years, and how much I've suppressed them just to keep myself 'humble.' But I know that what I've done to myself was wrong and that my methods didn't keep me humble at all. My thirst for attention grew even more.

Truthfully told, I want more attention than anyone else. I want people to think that I'm the greatest or that I've done something important.

None of that matters to me too much like it used to anymore. There's always going to be someone better than me at something. Some nine year old is already an accomplished painter. There are genius sixteen year olds who just graduated from college with a 4.0. But even if they've got their names released in newspapers or Wikipedia, it's a great accomplishment, but not everyone will remember them.

What matters to me now is how I'm going to live out this life that I'm given. Life's a gift from the Lord, so don't waste it. But don't take everything way too personally and seriously. Your life should always be just devoted to God and focused on Him in whatever you do in life.

Try reading this book. Some pretty good stuff's all there:

Amazon.com: God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours (9780446556521): Regina Brett: Books

I'm just going to live the best that I can. I'm not a genius. I came from a disadvantaged background, but there are people who lived in far worse conditions than I have. If I could start all over, I would've quickly took all of my high school courses, graduated by the time I was 15 or 16, and went straight off to NYC or Europe to study design.

Well, life doesn't always work out that way, and I'm now not studying design. I'm twenty, and I've circled around here and there in my life. But so far, I've met various people in life with colorful souls, heard things that no one has heard before, and seen things that no one has seen. I've got my own two legs, two eyes, and two hands to do something for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi all,
I've been struggling with the thought of why my life matters. I thought did, up until now. I was sitting in history class learning about the 1800s and though "what did they do with their life"? Or, I'm thinking as time goes on, my achievements, how hard I work, or how "Godly" I was doesn't seem like it will matter. No one will remember me and 200 years from now life will be better because they will have better "things" and etc.
So, I'm note sure. Why do my accomplishments and etc. matter?

Just have fun and enjoy the life God gave you.

It doesn't matter if you are remembered and you can waste your life worrying about it. Even famous people of today. No one is really going to remember Kim Kardasian in 200 years either ;)

Just enjoy it, love God and treat others above yourself and your life will be a happy one :)

Upvote 0