Why does Marks gospel not include the virgin birth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Since scholars say that Mark was probably the first Gospel writtien in the late 60s..why did it not include the virgin birth? But Matthew and Luke do.
If you subscribe to Markan priority (as you seem to doing) then the you have to look at the scope of what is dealt with and the form of Mark. Mark does not have any account of Jesus' conception, birth, young life etc. The story begins with Jesus' baptism, i.e the beginning of his ministry. The form of Mark also makes it clear that the focus of the gospel is on Jesus' "career". It is a series of individual stories of Jesus performing miracles and such and then the passion. There is no sermon on the mount/plain and there is no extended speaking from Jesus as is in John. From this, it seems clear that Mark's purpose is to show Jesus doing a bunch of miracles and then being killed and raised. That is the essential public life of Jesus and, as such, is a "complete" gospel. Matthew and Luke expand significantly on Mark's narrative (but for the most part include Mark's stories word for word).

John is a totally different thing though.

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

Murdock

May 8, 2007
✟537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since scholars say that Mark was probably the first Gospel writtien in the late 60s..why did it not include the virgin birth? But Matthew and Luke do.

The gospels are like 4 people witnessing a car accident from 4 different sides of the car. We need all 4 to get the whole picture of the accident. Many things in the gospels are repeated. But God used the 4 authors to write about different aspects of Christ's life. :wave:

Upvote 0

WorkerForChrist

Apr 28, 2007
✟15,360.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gospels are like 4 people witnessing a car accident from 4 different sides of the car. We need all 4 to get the whole picture of the accident. Many things in the gospels are repeated. But God used the 4 authors to write about different aspects of Christ's life. :wave:
I agree, good answer Murdock. Each person saw and experienced different things in their life and their experiences with Jesus.

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have looked into when the gospels were written and based on the evidence Matthew was written very early, maybe as early as 35-40 A.D.; Luke was written in the 50's during his journey with Paul and Mark wasn't written till ab't 60--so Mark didn't have to mention the virgin birth. Besides, Mark is Peter's remininsces and Peter isn't the kind of guy to be interested in those things--note that there's no long winded speeches by Jesus in the gospel.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.