Why does Ken Ham think that the Universe is only 6,000 years old?

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The nursing child will play by the hole of the cobra, And the weaned child will put his hand on the viper's den. They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain," Isa 11:8,9

Paul tells us: "We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time."

Isaiah tells us they will not hurt or destroy in God's Holy Mountain. So we get an idea of what the world will be like when Jesus returns to restore the world to God's purpose and intention and His plan. So this was never a part of God's original creation before the fall.

You completely missed answering my actual question.
Try again.

You made the claim that "it was never god's intention to make creation devour itself".

I took that to mean the usual nonsense we get from guys lik Ken Ham, who says that there was no death before the fall.

Even ignoring for a second that eating only plant life involves killing living things as well, ....
I pointed to the many many many species that are complete killing machines in their habitat.

Venoms, razor sharp teeth, jaws that can bite with unbelievable forces - enough to snap bones quite easily, intestines of carnivores that are not suited to live on a vegetarian diet, etc etc...

I repeat my question: when your god design the crocodile, was it not his intention to design a fiersome killing machine?

This is one reason why Christians have a problem with Evolution is that the theory does not take into consideration that we live in a fallen world and that God has a plan for redemption and restoration.

Yes, thank you.

Exactly...

THAT is the objection to a scientific theory. It's not about the evidence or the theory itself. Nope. It's about it not being compatible with a priori religious beliefs.

When you pit an evidence based scientific theory against a faith based religious story.... guess which one wins out.

Consider this to help you in answering that one:
what is thunder? Is it the result of a Norse god called Thor, smashing his supernatural hammer?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I will let ICR provide you with the answer for that question:

Genesis 1:30 says, "'Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food'; and it was so." Therefore, according to Scripture, the originally created crocodilians ate plant material. Of course, that all changed when sin entered through mankind, resulting in the universal curse.

Now, researchers confirmed what few had even suspected—crocodiles regularly eat vegetation.

Reporting in the Journal of Zoology, a group of U.S. scientists studied alligator diets from Florida's Everglades National Park.4 Their review of published studies added to new observations finding that 13 of 18 crocodylian species eat fruit from 34 different plant families.

Gators often eat fleshy fruit. Some fruit falls into their mouths while they are pursuing animal prey; "however, there is little doubt that on occasion, fruit is deliberately consumed, often in large quantities," according to the study authors.4

For example, "Last year a researcher working in south-east Asia reported seeing a wild Siamese crocodile tucking into a watermelon," according to New Scientist.5

Teeth weren't put there for eating meat, but for eating vegetation. But in this temporarily terrible Earth, those animals with originally good behaviors suffer from a curse that permits them to use their God-given teeth for terrible and bloody encounters. Does crocodilian preference for fruit reflect their original, Edenic state?

Maybe crocodiles and alligators should be viewed in a softer light, although from a safe distance.

http://www.wcs.org/press/press-releases/crocodile-confession.aspx

I guess sometimes, people are so desperate to hold on to their religious views, that they'ld believe pretty much anything....

So crocodiles used to be vegetarians.... for crying out loud.

Let's move on to the next one then.

Spiders with venom sacks and web-building.

Do spiders build webs to catch blueberries?
And what is the venom for? For in case the blueberries have attitude problems?

Will you please think this through a bit, instead of running to the first website you can find that says something you like?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ceilings are more difficult but I can assure you that I can patch a hole in a wall and you would not be able to find the repair.

False.

Repairs can be detected in a multitude of ways.
For example, I could show that some of the drywall is of a different kind then the rest of the wall.

God can repair creation because He is the one that created it in the beginning.

Just because your bible says so, doesn't mean it is correct.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
My point is that Science is not atheistic.

That's a weird thing to say.
Science is a methodology to find out how stuff works.

A methodology has no "beliefs" or lack thereof.

They recommend religion because the benefits are testable.

who's "they"?
What are you talking about?

Atheism is simply not supported by Science.

Atheism doesn't need any supporting.
Atheism is a response to claims of theism.

Theism is what needs supporting.
Atheist is what you are by default if the claims of theism don't convince you.

Even though atheists tend to want to hijack science to accomplish their agenda. Nothing new about that.

Says the guy who's trying hijack science to push the notion that we should be theists.

Funny.

Lots of people try go appeal to authority by trying to convince people science supports their cause then nothing could be further from the truth.

irony alert

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the Bible is God's word and because it's from God, it doesn't contain errors in it's message, so on that basis, the earth has to be around 6,000 years old and certainly not millions or billions of years.

Well, I won't get into the semantics of what is God's word, what isn't, what is literal, what is not. However, since this is a physical science forum, why don't we approach it from that perspective. Right off the top I can think of about 50 or 60 ways, of which I am quite familiar with, to show the earth is older than 6,000 years and probably come up with a hundred or more if I looked into it deeper. This is accomplished not only through numerous independent dating methods, but through the numerous observable physical processes as well involving geomorphology, sedimentology, petrology, paleoclimatology, geophysics, geochemistry, and many others.

Upvote 0