Why Does Jack Chick Think Rock Music Is Evil?

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
The only evil song that I can think of is this:

I've listened to this song many times, but did that change my behavior? Did I become a Satanist? Lol

One thing that can change my behavior is watching the movie Annabelle alone. That movie is creepy. The other one is Shaye Saint John. That guy/girl is so disturbing to watch. They are a lot of stuff in the internet that are way more disturbing and demonic than listening to a Rock song.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟781,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It may sound a tad outlandish at first to see someone make that claim, but then I stumbled upon this video on YouTube called "They sold their souls for rock and roll" from the channel "rickrags3" and it talks about a multitude of rock musicians who get their influence from Alistair Crowley. I was quite taken aback. I don't think that the mere listening to a song is a sin per se but these artists are clearly not influenced by the Holy Spirit.

The thing I don't like about Jack Chick saying it is that he doesn't believe you have to repent of sin to be saved, yet goes ON AND ON about things that are sinful to do and that you must stop it immediately. I find that extremely contradictory.

Anyway here is the first of 5 parts of the video (the 4th part was somehow pulled down by YouTube).

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ya know Jack Chick, right? The guy who back in the day who made little comics with the theme of Evangelical Christianity. My dad gave me two of them around a few years ego, one of which I lost. The comics seemed cool and legit, right?

But, there's a problem.

Chick made a few comics mentioning how rock music is of the devil basically and we should stop listening to it, and, according to what I saw on Wikipedia, he believes witches invoke demons and spells into the music, basically, there's occultic stuff going on (which is practically my phobia).

So, I just wanted to ask this question:

Why does he think this? Is he right, or is he wrong?
Chick was looking at rock music in a vacuum using his own rules then superimposing that over the entire genre that transcends time. He's not around any more and there no need to hold on to these views or even debate them and we can move on

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe God ordained every note ever played and every lyric ever penned. When I listen to a really good band or artist I see God the creator behind it and his glory shining through them. Even if they are lost.

I also see where some lyrics lead to sin in those who follow that brand. And it's possibly a curse God is using to drag them off to hell.

All in all my advice is “‘Keep thy heart with all diligence: for out of it are the issues of life.” Proverbs 4:23 (NCPB)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟836,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If music causes us to think and do evil, then I confess that I think Contemporary Christian music is evil. Every time I hear it I want to bash my head against the wall. It's not good.

• Haha
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟673,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ya know Jack Chick, right? The guy who back in the day who made little comics with the theme of Evangelical Christianity. My dad gave me two of them around a few years ego, one of which I lost. The comics seemed cool and legit, right?

But, there's a problem.

Chick made a few comics mentioning how rock music is of the devil basically and we should stop listening to it, and, according to what I saw on Wikipedia, he believes witches invoke demons and spells into the music, basically, there's occultic stuff going on (which is practically my phobia).

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if this has come up, but there is some truth to the association of the Devil and music. The Bible seems to say that he was a musician himself and his influence in the music scene is not hard to discern. Some bands openly wrote satanic lyrics.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had a roommate in college who passed out the Jack Chick booklets. I had no use for them then, have no use for them now.

I enjoy good music. That ranges from classical to jazz to pop to rock.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
William Booth, the founder of the Salvation Army, used to take rowdy drinking songs and rewrite them as praise songs. He was criticized severely for this. He just shrugged and said "Why should the devil have all the best music?"

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Given the answers you've received from different posters already, the answer should be clear

So... Basically it's not true...?

"Basically," yes. It's like someone saying to be careful about going out in the rain because if you do, you'll catch a cold.

Does this mean that everyone who does so will certainly catch a cold? Or does it mean that some people probably will, and that there's a greater risk than if it were not raining?

With Jack Chick and Rock music, his advice can be ignored...by most people. On the other hand, though, there is some truth to it, depending on who's listening. Some people will be affected by some Rock music, even if most people will not be and even though most songs are not that bad.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

But, there's a problem.

There's a whole ridiculous line of thought that back beats are somehow sexual. My take on rock music is that the lyrics are typically humanistic or outright evil. The musicians generally live decadent, wicked lifestyles and hate Christ. Plus, because the music doesn't derive from Christianity it is ugly and lacks Christian beauty and meaning. I don't take it as far as Chick, who condemns it across the board. I just choose not to listen.

• Agree
Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,018,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

But, there's a problem.

The comics are typically a very bad image for evangelical Christianity honestly. As someone who used to be an evangelical Christian, it saddens me to see them used so frequently with the false slander and polemic language used throughout it all. [To be fair, he really is a certain brand of fundamentalism, and does not reflect all of evangelical Christianity.] “By this you will know my disciples - that you love each other”. Speaking falsehoods and mocking people doesn’t fit into that teaching very well.

In this case, it is important to know what you are listening to and not just pay attention to the music setting but also know what you are absorbing from the textual content of the music. I am not aware however of rock music in general being partially created by witches casting spells or anything like that. The evil one doesn’t need that to influence people. He is cunning and beguiling without any casting of spells, etc.

All that said, however, rock music in and of itself isn’t bad. Personally I don’t listen to heavy rock frequently, as it tends to be stressful for me. :) Any music with words that can be damaging to our thoughts can harm us at the same level as rock music, even if it is pop music or something completely unrelated. We don’t need to throw everything out though. People also are impacted to different degrees. It’s a balance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Listening to rock music is fine, but I prefer to play it.

After an hour of working up a bad case of tendinitis by practicing a hymn, changing chords once or twice per word, with diminished chords tossed in (now those are genuinely evil chords), only to produce a song with all the energy of a lullaby, I like to play a little rock for fun.

It's all in the intent. If the lyrics are meant to be powerful, then the musical style should reflect that. If the lyrics are soft and calming, then the playing should reflect that, also.

Reactions: Stan Ley
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟165,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does he think this?
Because he's a legalistic pinhead who doesn't know his Bible in precept form, just its letter.

Because he's never heard songs like Phil Keaggy's "Morning Light," Los Lonely Boys' "Heaven," Carlos Santana's "Somewhere in Heaven," the Allman Brother's "Blue Sky," or the Rez Band's "Broken Promises," or "Awaiting Your Reply." :D Because his world view doesn't truly understand God as sovereign over all of creation, he throws the baby out with the bathwater and relinquishes part of creation to the pagan. Let them have rock n roll; it is not and cannot be godly.

God says, "I love you. Awaiting your reply," and sometimes He says it with an ordinary lyre in gently lilting form and sometimes He plugs that thing into a Marshal amp and an overdrive pedal and turns the volume up to 10 with just a hint of reverb :cool:.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

danielmears

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2018
Phelan
✟132,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But, there's a problem.

It is important that we think on things of God, for all good things come from the Father of lights. So, he is right to the extent that feeding your mind words which may not align with scripture could be damaging to your spiritual development. Contrarily, if you put God's word in your heart and mouth you shall be overcomers of the world! What do I mean by that? The Father wants to bless us! He wants us to have the abundant life, to be one, as Jesus prayed in John 17:21 but we have to realize, be aware, that it is done unto you as you believe..this Jesus tells us over and over. It is done unto you according to your faith, as you believe. This is why it is so important to know God's word, to get it in your heart, the center of your being; so you may speak God's word, which is filled with power to change circumstances which appear to be, realizing all things manifest from the unseen!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But, there's a problem.

Well beat and rhythm cannot affect like he alleges. It is all about the words and the culture of rock that keeps souls enslaved.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

But, there's a problem.

Chick's peculiar brand of Fundamentalism was rooted in the culture and times in which he came to prominence, which would have been right about the time when rock'n'roll was emerging and which was frequently cited as being "evil" by certain cultural conservative forces of the time. This isn't surprising, as this wasn't the first time people accused certain music of being evil, the same was done in previous decades with music such as jazz and the like.

To be frank, I think this kind of "this music is evil" mentality from those times was largely rooted in racist attitudes, because such music was seen as "black music".

I'm not saying Chick was a racist here, only that opposition to musical genres in the early-mid 20th century tended to be racially motivated and charged.

Chick's brand of Fundamentalism was also heavily conspiratorial. Chick Publications rather freely and uncritically believed anyone who claimed to have inside information about various anti-Catholic and anti-Muslim, and anti-"fill in the blank here" conspiracies. Which is why Chick believed, and taught, that "the Vatican" was responsible for the creation of Islam, was responsible for the American Civil War, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the creation of the Soviet Union and Communism, et al. Basically anything Chick believed to be bad in the history of the world could be attributed to Catholicism, which he believed was actually a continuation of ancient Egyptian and Babylonian paganism.

Where did Jack Chick get his ideas about these things? From various non-credible sources. For example Alexander Hislop, Charles Chiniquy, Alberto Rivera, John Todd, and a few other well known hucksters.

Chick's publications can be pretty rightly described as hate literature under the guise of Christian evangelism. But the only thing one is really going to get from those Chick Tracts is a whole lot of lies, conspiracy theories, hate, and an incredibly perverse version of Christianity.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

But, there's a problem.

The way I see it is, rock music triggers evil in him.

In summary, he lacks humility to repent of his own sins.

Upvote 0