Why Does Jack Chick Think Rock Music Is Evil?

※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※

Jesus is sweeter than macarons.
Mar 12, 2020
Carterville Illinois
✟36,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Ya know Jack Chick, right? The guy who back in the day who made little comics with the theme of Evangelical Christianity. My dad gave me two of them around a few years ego, one of which I lost. The comics seemed cool and legit, right?

But, there's a problem.

Chick made a few comics mentioning how rock music is of the devil basically and we should stop listening to it, and, according to what I saw on Wikipedia, he believes witches invoke demons and spells into the music, basically, there's occultic stuff going on (which is practically my phobia).

So, I just wanted to ask this question:

Why does he think this? Is he right, or is he wrong?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christians rely on God's word and the Holy Spirit. We don't follow men unless they speak the words of God.

Christian Beware.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think probably the majority of mainstream rock music is Satanic

Take for example Billy Joels "The Good die Young"

It sounds like such an upbeat happy song. The piano intro sounds beautiful i must say

But the lyrics are mostly about his frustrations with a Catholic girl that wont have sex with him

He also says the line "id rather laugh with the sinners then cry with the Saints"

Many classic rock songs also mention magic as if its a good thing

I dont know about this stuff with witches invoking spells and demons into the music...but its probably not necessary

Most people give up a little at a time, slowly inching their way towards serving Satan without even realizing it. They are slowly conditioned, or at least they were at that time period in America

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ya know Jack Chick, right? The guy who back in the day who made little comics with the theme of Evangelical Christianity. My dad gave me two of them around a few years ego, one of which I lost. The comics seemed cool and legit, right?

But, there's a problem.

Chick made a few comics mentioning how rock music is of the devil basically and we should stop listening to it, and, according to what I saw on Wikipedia, he believes witches invoke demons and spells into the music, basically, there's occultic stuff going on (which is practically my phobia).

The answer for Jack Chick will be the same as it is for any other Christian who claims that: because they buy in to unbiblical superstition about it.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well besides the lyrics and some of the occult themes of some bands there is a complaint about the beat supposedly being reminiscent of the drum beats used in African Shamanistic practices of summoning spirits and such.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember the rather achingly boring Christian music that was around when I was younger . After listening to a friend play it the entire time I was at her house, I went home and put on Insane Clown Posse’s Tiltawhirl ( the original one not the radio edit. ) just to get that awful sound out of my head .

( don’t play it if you don’t want to get offended . The subject is rather gory)

Upvote 0

※※♡Rose○Gold○Macaron♡※※

Jesus is sweeter than macarons.
Mar 12, 2020
Carterville Illinois
✟36,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
there is a complaint about the beat supposedly being reminiscent of the drum beats used in African Shamanistic practices of summoning spirits and such.
This, my friend, is what I worry about from time to time. My questions are, is this true or not? And, why do they think this?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well besides the lyrics and some of the occult themes of some bands there is a complaint about the beat supposedly being reminiscent of the drum beats used in African Shamanistic practices of summoning spirits and such.

. Tusk ! Are you kidding ! I heard that then bought the album . Yes I know what tusk was referring to. I liked the creativity of the music . Just like I love the Habanera from the opera Carmen . Or Scarpia’s aria at the end of Tosca’s first act that points out how hypocritical and evil he is .

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Let me tell you a little story. Happened to me way back in oh....77. Had just got saved a few months prior but felt tempted to go back and watch in concert one of the biggest name groups in the world, playing at a large football stadium some miles away. I mean I loved this group and always had. As they came in on stage and played the first note God pulled back the curtain and let me just say he let me experience what was really going on in the spirit realm in that place. I won't get into trying to describe it for I don't think I can but I jumped out of my seat and shaking like a leaf tried to get to the nearest isle.

I finally got to the stairs and navigated myself up them , out into the outer halls, and left the stadium. I waited by the van that my friends had owned and we ended up sleeping in the parking lot for reasons I can't quite remember. My friends asked me where did I go what happened to me that I felt the needed to leave. I couldn't even attempt to try to explain it to them...what I experienced scared me immensely.

The next morning they dropped me off home...I went up to my room beat tired for I never slept a wink....I fell to my knees within seconds of my walking in the room....and I asked God...."What in the world happened to me there! What is it Lord that you're trying to say?" I just flipped open the Bible which was laid in front of me and my eyes immediately went down to this verse in Isaiah 11:12

"Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands."

Well that pretty much summed it up. We had left for this other city early in the morning and all my friends were partying, drinking, drugs and the whole bit....not me though....I was a Christian but surrounded with everyone doing this.....and yes it started in the morning and to late into the night....yes Lord just like your word has said......the harp, viol, tabret the pipes...ah yeah it sure was party time for about the 50K that were there....But they regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands.....Well Yes Lord that's right.....didn't see any of the great masses there lifting up their hands in praise to the Most High God! So God opened it up and let me experience the spirit realm of things that was really taking place in those moments .....and as I say I was stunned and fled the stadium. From that point on the only concerts I had attended were of a Christian type.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I actually don't believe it. Well I don't think there is anything innately evil about a beat that is.
Music has different affects on mood etc. Some music I think is more appropriate for church etc. I have trouble believing that the beat is evil in itself because it sounds a lot like the ancient Manichean heresy, that linked evil to literal material world etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok gotta admit i like Fleetwood Mac alot. After i spent many years as a rap fan i thought listening to rock would be much better. This maybe partially true as rap was far more blatant and very direct blasphemous lyrics

I am now listening to 80% Christian music but i still like some Fleetwood Mac, the Beatles, Eric Clapton, etc

I stay away certain songs though. I wouldnt be surprised if in a year or so im at 95 or 100% Christian music

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
. Tusk ! Are you kidding ! I heard that then bought the album . Yes I know what tusk was referring to. I liked the creativity of the music . Just like I love the Habanera from the opera Carmen . Or Scarpia’s aria at the end of Tosca’s first act that points out how hypocritical and evil he is .

I love it too and was going to point it out as an example of the fallacy. The basic drum beat is very African sounding, yet it is a marching song etc. which would normally be off limit with the anti-rock folks as far as something they would target.

Besides all that stuff, I think there is a bit of cultural prejudice concerning some of those old Jack Chick folks and their moral cultural crusades.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This, my friend, is what I worry about from time to time. My questions are, is this true or not? And, why do they think this?

It's true unfortunately. Not all of it but most.

I even like music that is overtly dark, atmospheric and heavy, but I know that they are channeling demons and using sorcery to create it.

Fortunately there is also Orthodox Christian music that is atmospheric and mystical :

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had a Christian friend who was professional jazz drummer. He stopped playing for the church because they would only let him play a few tempos and in very few time signatures. I remember the hassles his fundamentalist mother gave him and he was a grown man . My own father hated the fact that I loved to dance( not for religious reasons he was just a misogynist) . I decided long ago when I was a teenybopper that I wasn’t going to allow other people to tell me what to like or to dislike . That is such narcissistic behavior that you’d want to control another like that. Having said that I dislike rap mainly because it devolved into misogyny. The original raps were somewhat funny. But I don’t harass others for liking rap.
I did tell my kids that these people are performing and acting . The toxic and misogynistic behavior is mostly acting and they were advised not to behave like that

Last edited:
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Fortunately there is also Orthodox music that is atmospheric and mystical :

Yes I love a lot of the Divine Liturgies. "The Selections from the Divine Liturgy of Ss. Peter and Paul, Ben Lomond" (Concilliar Press) is kind of my all time favorite, even though I had this Russian Orthodox CD in Slavonic that was really really beautiful.

I have really taken a shine to the Armenian "Soorp Badarak".

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let me tell you a little story. Happened to me way back in oh....77. Had just got saved a few months prior but felt tempted to go back and watch in concert one of the biggest name groups in the world, playing at a large football stadium some miles away. I mean I loved this group and always had. As they came in on stage and played the first note God pulled back the curtain and let me just say he let me experience what was really going on in the spirit realm in that place. I won't get into trying to describe it for I don't think I can but I jumped out of my seat and shaking like a leaf tried to get to the nearest isle.

I finally got to the stairs and navigated myself up them , out into the outer halls, and left the stadium. I waited by the van that my friends had owned and we ended up sleeping in the parking lot for reasons I can't quite remember. My friends asked me where did I go what happened to me that I felt the needed to leave. I couldn't even attempt to try to explain it to them...what I experienced scared me immensely.

The next morning they dropped me off home...I went up to my room beat tired for I never slept a wink....I fell to my knees within seconds of my walking in the room....and I asked God...."What in the world happened to me there! What is it Lord that you're trying to say?" I just flipped open the Bible which was laid in front of me and my eyes immediately went down to this verse in Isaiah 11:12

"Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands."

Well that pretty much summed it up. We had left for this other city early in the morning and all my friends were partying, drinking, drugs and the whole bit....not me though....I was a Christian but surrounded with everyone doing this.....and yes it started in the morning and to late into the night....yes Lord just like your word has said......the harp, viol, tabret the pipes...ah yeah it sure was party time for about the 50K that were there....But they regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands.....Well Yes Lord that's right.....didn't see any of the great masses there lifting up their hands in praise to the Most High God! So God opened it up and let me experience the spirit realm of things that was really taking place in those moments .....and as I say I was stunned and fled the stadium. From that point on the only concerts I had attended were of a Christian type.

Did you see spirits / demons ?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Given the answers you've received from different posters already, the answer should be clear.

Whether or not 'Jack Chick' overstates the case, there is still a reason to be concerned, generally speaking.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

But, there's a problem.

With all his hatreds I seriously wonder about his Christianity.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I bought it up so here’s the entire opera . I can’t link but you should be able to find it on YouTube. The aria Scarpia sings is called either Va Tosca or Te Deum. And as I’ve stated it points out how evil and hypocritical he is . This is translated into English .
2B8414A4-D49C-4998-8E84-BA5C9A81D24A.jpeg

Upvote 0