• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why does it seem helpful?

Criada

Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's a coping strategy - not a good one, but better than not coping :hug:
Have you tried squeezing an ice cube? That helps me get past the urge without resorting to cutting.
The other thing that helps is going somewhere public - the library is good. It's hard to self harm if you're surrounded by people.
Praying for you.

Reactions: Yoseft
Upvote 0

LittleH

Friend to All
Mar 4, 2013
UK
✟9,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll try squeezing an ice cube... A previous therapist got me to focus on what is going on around me, using my senses. I think you mentioned that to me before. It worked for a while but with memories having come back recently, I just can't do it. I've worked so hard and I seem to be going backwards. It just proves everything about me I've been told...

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I first picked up a knife to cut myself, I distinctly remember thinking "this is the only way to get the pain that's on the inside, to the outside, this is the only way to get it OUT". I don't know if that's how other self injurers feel, but that was my motivation for doing it. I had nobody to talk to, nobody would listen to me, and I was dying inside. It was the only way I had to release the hurt.

You need to find other ways to "get it out". Have you found any type of release works for you? Exercise? Talking to someone? Writing it down? Singing or playing an instrument (putting your emotions to music is GREAT therapy)?

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LittleH - can you get alone somewhere, a quiet room with nobody to bother you, and turn on some nature sounds or relaxation music or soft worship music, or any other background noise that you find calming? Have you practiced deep breathing to help calm your mind? I've found that controlled breathing and nature sounds are really, really effective in calming me when I feel myself getting panicky or overwhelmed. Just a few uninterrupted minutes a day where you can just sit quietly and calm your mind, can do wonders. Think about someone you love; a family member, friend, even a pet. Think about how you would feel to see them physically harmed. Then tell yourself that's how God feels when you harm yourself. Tell yourself that the same protective love that you would feel towards someone being hurt, is the same love that He feels towards you. Just think about it.

:hug:

Upvote 0

raggedycamel

Goodbye
Aug 21, 2012
✟8,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm struggling with ptsd and I self-harm as a way of coping. I know it's not great or what God wants me to do. It's just that right in the moment, it feels like it is my only option.

I want to stop but I don't know I can. :cry:

It seems helpful because it's a temporary fix to a long term problem. Once you are able to identify the main stressors that spark self harm, then you can work on stopping yourself AHEAD of time, before you harm yourself, and *think*.... "is this really going to solve my problem, or will it make it worse?"

I would like for you to please try to catch yourself BEFORE you harm, and ask yourself if you can solve your problem any other way...

What I tell others is to be creative with their anger and frustrations and sadness. Instead of taking it out on their bodies, start writing down your feelings. Draw pictures of it.

It is sooo hard to quit, I know. I had cut since I was 10, and I'm 29 now. But it's possible to stop.

And remember, you were bought with a price, your body is God's temple where the Holy Spirit dwells within you. You don't want to graffiti it with yuck do ya?

I'm praying for you. I know this is difficult. You *CAN* overcome this. I believe in you. :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I first picked up a knife to cut myself, I distinctly remember thinking "this is the only way to get the pain that's on the inside, to the outside, this is the only way to get it OUT". I don't know if that's how other self injurers feel, but that was my motivation for doing it. I had nobody to talk to, nobody would listen to me, and I was dying inside. It was the only way I had to release the hurt.

You need to find other ways to "get it out". Have you found any type of release works for you? Exercise? Talking to someone? Writing it down? Singing or playing an instrument (putting your emotions to music is GREAT therapy)?

When I cut or bruise, it is usually to get how I am feeling inside onto the outside. When I have no one to talk to, felt like no one would listen, etc. The hitting or cutting (whichever I had the urge for) was a release. It was physical proof of all the junk that was pent up inside.

Upvote 0