Why does healthcare cost so much in America?

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
US healthcare is expensive because we pay for drug research. We pay the high prices for drugs. Other countries simply legislate prices so that their people don't pay.

We also have got rid of community health care centers which helped keep cost down in the past.

We specialize in extreme care for those at the end of life.

We also specialize in the cutting edge care.
========
Make no mistake, we could do much better, especially with regard to better coverage for the poor, and in treatment if cronuc illness. Also, we would do well to streamline the process for approving new drugs. Finally, we could have a Medicare type system for everyone, certainly for those that the government pays for anyway (veterans and the poor).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We have a relatively new huge hospital here (20 years or so old) that I don't believe can ever be fully paid for. For-profit hospitals pay property taxes as well, which must be enormous. If our roads and bridges are any indication we have built much more than we can possibly maintain. I learned that lesson when I put in a huge garden one year. All went well in the beginning but I was soon unable to keep up with it.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So our police and firefighters are uneducated high school dropouts? Who knew?

Firefighter and police are well paid, but are not in the field for the money. The pay, prestige, and lifestyle of being a 'doctor' is quite appealing however.

Police and firefighters don't leave school 300K in debt. They don't need 8 years of education beyond high school either, to even think about performing their profession.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Police and firefighters don't leave school 300K in debt. They don't need 8 years of education beyond high school either, to even think about performing their profession.

Which illustrates again the differences. Thanks.

Actually med school 'debt' is meaningless in the comparison as their education/knowledge has been purchased with that money. It's no different than my mortgage 'debt'. The asset value equals or exceeds the debt. Same with a medical degree, it's value grows beyond the debt. True 'debt' is money owed for an 'asset' that declines in value or had little or no monetary value to begin with.

Upvote 0

The Stamp

Mar 7, 2017
UK
✟5,256.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
US healthcare is expensive because we pay for drug research. We pay the high prices for drugs. Other countries simply legislate prices so that their people don't pay.
We also have got rid of community health care centers which helped keep cost down in the past.
We specialize in extreme care for those at the end of life.
We also specialize in the cutting edge care.
========
Make no mistake, we could do much better, especially with regard to better coverage for the poor, and in treatment if cronuc illness. Also, we would do well to streamline the process for approving new drugs. Finally, we could have a Medicare type system for everyone, certainly for those that the government pays for anyway (veterans and the poor).
You really have been brainwashed.
This is just one insurance company.........there are about 50 of them.......... UnitedHealth announced record-breaking profits in 2015, followed by an even better year this year. In July 2016, UnitedHealth celebrated revenues that quarter (3 months) totalling $46.5 billion, an increase of $10 billion since the same time last year. And company filings show that UnitedHealth’s CEO Stephen J. Hemsley made over $20 million in 2015. To be fair, that is a pay cut. The previous year, in 2014, Hemsley took home $66 million in compensation.

Source: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...hile-blaming-obamacare-for-losses-110116.html

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which illustrates again the differences. Thanks.

Actually med school 'debt' is meaningless in the comparison as their education/knowledge has been purchased with that money. It's no different than my mortgage 'debt'. The asset value equals or exceeds the debt. Same with a medical degree, it's value grows beyond the debt. True 'debt' is money owed for an 'asset' that declines in value or had little or no monetary value to begin with.

Debt is debt. The 300K, still has to be paid.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Debt is debt. The 300K, still has to be paid.

Of course. I had to payoff the mortgage loan as well. I paid $195,000 for my 8-unit (borrowed $150,000) and sold it for $330,000. The asset value never fell below the mortgage amount. The cumulative value of a med school education exceeds the loan amount as is confirmed by the lifetime earnings of most doctors. Even the average college grad will earn about $1Million more than a high school grad regardless of their student loan debt (and they gripe about the cost of higher education). :doh:

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course. I had to payoff the mortgage loan as well. I paid $195,000 for my 8-unit (borrowed $150,000) and sold it for $330,000. The asset value never fell below the mortgage amount. The cumulative value of a med school education exceeds the loan amount as is confirmed by the lifetime earnings of most doctors. Even the average college grad will earn about $1Million more than a high school grad regardless of their student loan debt (and they gripe about the cost of higher education). :doh:
Do you agree obtaining skills that require 8 years of education after high school, plus another 2-4 years as a fellow in a certain speciality, would command a high salary?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you agree obtaining skills that require 8 years of education after high school, plus another 2-4 years as a fellow in a certain speciality, would command a high salary?

Of course, if it translates to services or products that benefit the general population. However that is only one aspect of the healthcare problem. The medical/insurance industry operates on a "whatever the market will bear" philosophy, which leaves many in the cold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course, if it translates to services or products that benefit the general population. However that is only one aspect of the healthcare problem. The medical/insurance industry operates on a "whatever the market will bear" philosophy, which leaves many in the cold.
All capitalistic ventures operate on what the market will bear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All capitalistic ventures operate on what the market will bear.

How about Walmart? It seems to me that they and other 'big box' stores strive to keep prices low, and by doing so put many "whatever the market will bear" enterprises out of business.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How about Walmart? It seems to me that they and other 'big box' stores strive to keep prices low, and by doing so put many "whatever the market will bear" enterprises out of business.
That is why they go out of business, those stores cant compete with what the market will bear.

Upvote 0